Information From Where? Future Classics?

Paul-s

Ive been out of the mainstream loop a while now...probably always was, but i do still look through lists , posts etc and i'm amazed by the information that comes up and who creates much of it?

For instance: https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/Rare-70s-80s/6431/peace-in-the-land/#product

I've not really played out for 3 years, but i was playing this out for 3 years before that and never had it covered? Is it hype to create cash?

Or recently i saw John Harris & the Soul Sayers up and someone saying its a future classic? Again, i was playing it every spot for at least 5/6 years back..It was always a classic at DDA....I traded it for Bernetia Miller (is this another future classic). Sacred Four, Soul Injection, Hitchhikers & Mighty Pope, Delon Washington, Brotherly Five....etc, etc, 

I find it very interesting that when (quite a long time ago) i was playing all these tunes, venues were fearful of from giving me a spot or just not listening or going out to small clubs to test the real vibe and movement. Now, years later, as venues finally catch up to the excitement and soul of these tunes, i am offered more spots than ever. But to me these are now oldies and like them as i do, i'm not sure i would want to hammer them out week in week out. I guess i'm just not a jobbing dj type.

So, Should promoters be more daring? Take a punt, explore, look beyond their circle of mates and safe options? Im just being devils advocate here.

Recently i have had loads of emails for tunes i put up for sale or had on my playlists (on here) again from many years ago. People are obviously googling them and often its a trail to me via these lists.

So, is a future classic the definition of a tune that gets (finally) into the hands of a big venue dj and finds acceptance amongst the mainstream?

Its a very annoying term..;)

Best

Paul-s

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Good posts and what we try (and sometimes succeed) with the no boundaries and freestyle remit to the imaginative guest record spinners at the Waterfront . An opportunity to play what they can't elsewhere. Helps if the promoter isnt under pressure financially to get large numbers through the door.

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

I think what's hard for the upfront dj / collector to get their head round is how long it actually takes for a track to become established. I've known these types play a record once or twice, move on, then get miffed when 5 years later it finally gets wider attention and it's known only to a few who had the ear to play it first.

Just the price of being ahead of the game...the benefit of being ahead of the game, though, is...

Errrr, what's the benefit again?! Probably get stuff cheaper I suppose

Edited by penny
Social source share

Guest northernsoul62

Ive been out of the mainstream loop a while now...probably always was, but i do still look through lists , posts etc and i'm amazed by the information that comes up and who creates much of it?

For instance: https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/Rare-70s-80s/6431/peace-in-the-land/#product

I've not really played out for 3 years, but i was playing this out for 3 years before that and never had it covered? Is it hype to create cash?

Or recently i saw John Harris & the Soul Sayers up and someone saying its a future classic? Again, i was playing it every spot for at least 5/6 years back..It was always a classic at DDA....I traded it for Bernetia Miller (is this another future classic). Sacred Four, Soul Injection, Hitchhikers & Mighty Pope, Delon Washington, Brotherly Five....etc, etc, 

I find it very interesting that when (quite a long time ago) i was playing all these tunes, venues were fearful of from giving me a spot or just not listening or going out to small clubs to test the real vibe and movement. Now, years later, as venues finally catch up to the excitement and soul of these tunes, i am offered more spots than ever. But to me these are now oldies and like them as i do, i'm not sure i would want to hammer them out week in week out. I guess i'm just not a jobbing dj type.

So, Should promoters be more daring? Take a punt, explore, look beyond their circle of mates and safe options? Im just being devils advocate here.

Recently i have had loads of emails for tunes i put up for sale or had on my playlists (on here) again from many years ago. People are obviously googling them and often its a trail to me via these lists.

So, is a future classic the definition of a tune that gets (finally) into the hands of a big venue dj and finds acceptance amongst the mainstream?

Best

Paul-s

Your right mate promoters only go for the safe option...if you are not known no spot does not matter what records you have.the only promoter who gave unknowns a shot was Moldie from hampshire ( thanks Mick)

Social source share

"Errrr, what's the benefit again? You pay less for stuff I suppose..."

Not even sure that happens a lot of the time these days does it Mik? Hope you well btw mate. J

No probably not, sometimes you pay more to have it first.

So I suppose you'll have to settle for the fact that, from a selection of soulful homes accross the world, there's waves of respect aimed at you. Cos there's never gonna be a statue or plaque in your honour. Not even a bench.

:-)

Ey up joel, hope all cool mate

Social source share

I think the issue is there are only a handful of people that dj and are genuinely ahead of the game. And it's only years after they are appreciated. Promoters have to please the masses and the masses aren't interested in new exciting stuff.

I always loved the stuff you played Paul (as you know) and if there were more djs like you about then maybe I'd dust my dancing shoes off and get out again.

Unfortunately, I can't see that happening.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I should add, more djs like you that are given a chance on the soul scene and getting regular gigs. There are definitely great djs out there but they are ignored.

Not enough individuality for me. Djing is a fantastic creative action and should be really personal. I would never in a million years buy what other people play because its popular and gets a good reaction. I find it very hard to go to events these days as I can't respect djs thst are simply going through the motions.

Tbe best thing is, I could put a night on in Manchester next month in a top venue with an amazing exciting dj line up and hardly anyone would come.

Edited by PaulB
Social source share

I think the issue is there are only a handful of people that dj and are genuinely ahead of the game. And it's only years after they are appreciated. Promoters have to please the masses and the masses aren't interested in new exciting stuff.

I always loved the stuff you played Paul (as you know) and if there were more djs like you about then maybe I'd dust my dancing shoes off and get out again.

Unfortunately, I can't see that happening.

remember some fabulous and exciting new to me tunes being played by Paul Sadot , Karl Rhodes etc at Steve Cato's nites .
Social source share

Top quality funk tunes were dismissed as shite back then and now are main hall biggies. But the issue now is everyone has jumped on the "funky soul" bandwagon and the quality has gone. Some truly appalling funk records go for big money and get plays. It's been severely diluted in the last few years.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I should add, more djs like you that are given a chance on the soul scene and getting regular gigs. There are definitely great djs out there but they are ignored.

Not enough individuality for me. Djing is a fantastic creative action and should be really personal. I would never in a million years buy what other people play because its popular and gets a good reaction. I find it very hard to go to events these days as I can't respect djs thst are simply going through the motions.

Tbe best thing is, I could put a night on in Manchester next month in a top venue with an amazing exciting dj line up and hardly anyone would come.

go for it Paul....heard good things from young Maxwell so if we can we'd make the trip to such an event. Only been to Dulcimer once - mighty impressed with tunes, energy and variety so looking for another excuse....
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I love new and progresive records as opposed to oldies (no problem with oldies, i just prefer new stuff)......but...last night i went to Fusion Soul in Denton Manchester.and had a fantastic night, the DJs played top top class relativly new/unkonwn (to me) tracks, and the comment from the people i spoke to was "what a brilliant night" the problem was....wait for it... the attendance, yes hardly anyone in. In comparioson every month also in Denton the Labour club put on their Northern Soul night which in the main is tried and trusted and its packed, again no problem with this, i tend to go every few months myself and have a great time.....To me there is a moral. Not enough people want new! People seem to be happy for tracks to break at small not well attended night or all nighters then they slip into mainstream Northern Nights ages after.People are then happy to accept them, to the small hardcore of newie lovers by then they are oldies.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I love new and progresive records as opposed to oldies (no problem with oldies, i just prefer new stuff)......but...last night i went to Fusion Soul in Denton Manchester.and had a fantastic night, the DJs played top top class relativly new/unkonwn (to me) tracks, and the comment from the people i spoke to was "what a brilliant night" the problem was....wait for it... the attendance, yes hardly anyone in. In comparioson every month also in Denton the Labour club put on their Northern Soul night which in the main is tried and trusted and its packed, again no problem with this, i tend to go every few months myself and have a great time.....To me there is a moral. Not enough people want new! People seem to be happy for tracks to break at small not well attended night or all nighters then they slip into mainstream Northern Nights ages after.People are then happy to accept them, to the small hardcore of newie lovers by then they are oldies.

good post and can't disagree as majority on the scene today, judging by numbers at mainstream/oldies & motown events, are untouched by progress.
Social source share

Here's a thing....why doesn't some enterprising promoter go back to how things once were, & should still be, IMHO, an eclectic mix of everything soulful on one dance floor....imaginative oldies, newies, rarities, 6ts, 7ts, 8ts & beyond - Northern, Modern, X over, RnB, Funk, stompers, floaters, steppers.....the only criteria should be quality dance floor SOUL with the X factor.....intimate, central venue, with proper DJ's who can string a set together encompassing all the above as & when necessary, TOTALLY disregard the nostalgia crowd, they will not be interested in any way shape or form, however there is a middle ground were those interested in proper oldies n those who want to hear more progressive sounds can come together in one venue, albeit a venue with less capacity than the 'big' promoters might be interested in....in a venue like this there would be room for DJ's like Paul Sadot, as well as DJ's who could play mixed sets....the DJ talent & records are out there, in theory the demand is there....step forward a proper promoter who has the vision & talent to pull it all together in a cohesive offensive against mediocrity (at best)....there will be someone out there that can do this & now could be the time to step up to the plate...... 

Best Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Here's a thing....why doesn't some enterprising promoter go back to how things once were, & should still be, IMHO, an eclectic mix of everything soulful on one dance floor....imaginative oldies, newies, rarities, 6ts, 7ts, 8ts & beyond - Northern, Modern, X over, RnB, Funk, stompers, floaters, steppers.....the only criteria should be quality dance floor SOUL with the X factor.....intimate, central venue, with proper DJ's who can string a set together encompassing all the above as & when necessary, TOTALLY disregard the nostalgia crowd, they will not be interested in any way shape or form, however there is a middle ground were those interested in proper oldies n those who want to hear more progressive sounds can come together in one venue, albeit a venue with less capacity than the 'big' promoters might be interested in....in a venue like this there would be room for DJ's like Paul Sadot, as well as DJ's who could play mixed sets....the DJ talent & records are out there, in theory the demand is there....step forward a proper promoter who has the vision & talent to pull it all together in a cohesive offensive against mediocrity (at best)....there will be someone out there that can do this & now could be the time to step up to the plate...... 

Best Russ

great post Russ .... here's hoping along with a quality venue. Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL  As a collector as I am, I don't think it comes as a surprise that many DJ's today have not really discovered any new sounds in-fact if at all.(I base this fact on the very few unknown records I have found in 45 years),  So most of todays DJ's rediscover old tunes, or chase after the latest finds of the likes of BUTCH and that's an expensive way to DJ, And again it is no surprise that many DJ's with decent record boxes have piss poor  record collections, as they had to sell them to keep up as a DJ. 

another FACT this, most decent collections contain many records that are familiar to another collector, but are unknown to many of to-days run of the mill DJ's this is noticeable to me, when I play DJ's records I have, I could do that all night long and have done, yet most collectors never get asked to DJ any more, well I don't. :g: DAVE K 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Best Russ

You should get along to Ian Levine's new venture when that kicks off, sounds like what he says he's going to do.

(but thats based in London which will put loads off going)

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Best Russ

Russ, you know I love you like a brother, but that event would be my worst nightmare. Number one, we are all too old and worldly wise, and yes impatient to stand/sit there half the night waiting for some music that fits into our preferred genre. I certainly am. And secondly you would have to close down all the hundreds of other events that are on every weekend, and organise buses and trains to get the faithful there. And if you were hoping to break records, then it would need to be on a weekly basis, or at least every two weeks.

As has been said in the other threads on this forum. It's very much a social scene these days. The music is very much an after thought to most. The venue, it's location, and the layout, are the things that influence punters on today's scene. And the most important thing of all, will all their friends be there.

Just look at Middleton to prove my point.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Best Russ

Russ

I have to agree with Phil about night's,it pains me to do so because it goes against everything the scene used to be about.My experience of night's trying to cover all bases just don't work as people are so entrenched in what they want to hear they aren't willing to spend time listening to something they don't like/know.

I remember Paul playing stuff he was on about at The Wilton a few years back & not knowing one of them but thinking it was a breath of fresh air & it certainly ruffled a few feathers with some & that was at a venue that was renowned for been forward thinking.

So I think it's fine idea but I'll be very surprised if a venue of any size doing that lasts any length of time............which is a crying shame I know but that's where the scene is at this moment in time.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Russ

I have to agree with Phil about night's,it pains me to do so because it goes against everything the scene used to be about.My experience of night's trying to cover all bases just don't work as people are so entrenched in what they want to hear they aren't willing to spend time listening to something they don't like/know.

I remember Paul playing stuff he was on about at The Wilton a few years back & not knowing one of them but thinking it was a breath of fresh air & it certainly ruffled a few feathers with some & that was at a venue that was renowned for been forward thinking.

So I think it's fine idea but I'll be very surprised if a venue of any size doing that lasts any length of time............which is a crying shame I know but that's where the scene is at this moment in time.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn, Like you I 'm disappointed if that’s the reality and widespread acceptance of where the scene currently is ...perhaps i’m part of a very small minority (?) who as well as enjoying quality oldies events , weekenders both large and smaller etc , I’m always on the lookout and prepared to travel when we can to an event that embraces all soulful genres — as i enjoy the opportunity of listening to them all — open mind and ears etc and recognition that my education will never be complete — all part of a fascinating journey which i fear is becoming a little stale ... Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

Russ, you know I love you like a brother, but that event would be my worst nightmare. Number one, we are all too old and worldly wise, and yes impatient to stand/sit there half the night waiting for some music that fits into our preferred genre. I certainly am. And secondly you would have to close down all the hundreds of other events that are on every weekend, and organise buses and trains to get the faithful there. And if you were hoping to break records, then it would need to be on a weekly basis, or at least every two weeks.

As has been said in the other threads on this forum. It's very much a social scene these days. The music is very much an after thought to most. The venue, it's location, and the layout, are the things that influence punters on today's scene. And the most important thing of all, will all their friends be there.

Just look at Middleton to prove my point.

Russ

Cheers

Martyn

I know what your saying guys & agree to some extent, but we cant just roll over.....a small intimate promotion 300 at most, central location etc, etc.....I'm convinced that this isnt it, a venue has always come along out of the blue almost & I know it will happen again....you just wait & see.....SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN.....I can feel it in my water lol....the current scene will implode, all the tourists etc will depart & the big promoters will announce its dead.....remember the script ?.....the scene will go underground again proper n a venue will come along & take things to another level.....I wanna be there, do you ?

Best Russ 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I know what your saying guys & agree to some extent, but we cant just roll over.....a small intimate promotion 300 at most, central location etc, etc.....I'm convinced that this isnt it, a venue has always come along out of the blue almost & I know it will happen again....you just wait & see.....SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN.....I can feel it in my water lol....the current scene will implode, all the tourists etc will depart & the big promoters will announce its dead.....remember the script ?.....the scene will go underground again proper n a venue will come along & take things to another level.....I wanna be there, do you ?

Best Russ 

Russ I think you're whistling in the wind mate, especially with the attendance figures at this weekends Butlins  do its just not showing any signs of that happening

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Best Russ 

Russ

I hope you're right & our history says it will happen.I think it might take one of the younger lot to grab the bull by the horns & step up & inject us old farts with some enthusiasm for a last hoorah...........& yes I wanna be there  :thumbsup: 

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

We'll see Steve, what will be will be....I'm pretty much enjoying things anyway at the moment, both Rugby & the 100 Club great nights....

Russ

Russ

That's a little bit of the problem?There's still a few night's about that are worth going to so people (me included) feel there's no real reason to change things.It's not as if it's a total desert out there,unfortunately I think we'll need to loose a few more of the better night's before we shake off our apathy & realise if someone doesn't do something our side of the scene will just fade away.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For instance: https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/Rare-70s-80s/6431/peace-in-the-land/#product

Best

Paul-s

Hi Paul ,hope your well :)

I confess that I didn't know john Harris or sacred four before you listed both in sales and I'm sure I'm not alone ,but one thing that always intriguede is ,where did you get the J.Harris from ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Paul ,hope your well :)

I confess that I didn't know john Harris or sacred four before you listed both in sales and I'm sure I'm not alone ,but one thing that always intriguede is ,where did you get the J.Harris from ?

I'd heard it from Callum Flack when i went to OZ many years ago, probably around 2006/7ish (i have a daughter there so went every year). I returned and hunted for it to no avail for two years. No one had heard of it.  So i took a trip to John Manship's to part with and buy some tunes and picked up Bernetia Miller (then unknown and very rare, prob still pretty much the same) , Callum was after one, so i went to Oz and traded for John Harris. When i returned it became a DDA club standard.

Social source share

I'd heard it from Callum Flack when i went to OZ many years ago, probably around 2006/7ish (i have a daughter there so went every year). I returned and hunted for it to no avail for two years. No one had heard of it. So i took a trip to John Manship's to part with and buy some tunes and picked up Bernetia Miller (then unknown and very rare, prob still pretty much the same) , Callum was after one, so i went to Oz and traded for John Harris. When i returned it became a DDA club standard.

Cheers Paul

I know two people who've just recently bought a Bernetia miller :)

Social source share

Not a lot i can disagree with on here, just reall as a demonstarion. I went to Fusion Soul in Denton Manchester on Friday, run by Sid Jones and Stevie B, both top guys with a real feel for Northeren Soul, Geoff Swift was guest  his play list. Sid and Steves were just as good, I really enjoyed myself, but guess what...............yep, not a lot in!!!!! The following night i went off the The Rat Pit in Stockport, agin mainly oldies lead, but with snattering of lasser known, I always do the early spot 7 till 8:45. ( will post my playlist later in the feedback section) without in my view too many recoginesed oldies...........Guess what..........the place satrted to fill up after 9 when peoples choice started....All in all a nice weekend. Next week Im goona try the Black Bee in Manchester, that will be treat for lesser know lovers...Cheers John

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Sacred Four Somebody Watching You

DJ must have - as this 45 today’s Northern Soul sound captured perfectly!

An intoxicating mix of Gospel, Funk & vocal-group dance that is now setting dancefloor’s alight!

One listened and your hooked, one play for the DJ and the club ignites into electric sweaty experience as the group transfer their enthusiasm directly to the audience.

This is NOW - and it’s instant !

A few very fine light surface marks - but as you can hear - it’s plays perfectly!

Now setting the dancefloors alight! mmmmmm, well its Another DDA classic thats over 6 years old now. Remember getting this of Greg Belson and it becoming an instant classic. Its old and already a classic!

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Sacred Four Somebody Watching You

A DJ must have - as this 45 today’s Northern Soul sound captured perfectly!

An intoxicating mix of Gospel, Funk & vocal-group dance that is now setting dancefloor’s alight!

One listened and your hooked, one play for the DJ and the club ignites into electric sweaty experience as the group transfer their enthusiasm directly to the audience.

This is NOW - and it’s instant !

A few very fine light surface marks - but as you can hear - it’s plays perfectly!

Now setting the dancefloors alight! mmmmmm, well its Another DDA classic thats over 6 years old now. Remember getting this of Greg Belson and it becoming an instant classic. Its old and already a classic!

I remember listening to this for the first time about 4 or 5 years ago on an eBay sales clip from a seller I buy lots off. Thought, wow, that's different and kinda good. Listened again and thought, it doesn't go anywhere, just plods along. And although it's become popular and I can see it's merits as a good dancer, I still feel the same about it.

Didn't buy it back then, wouldn't buy it now. But I also didn't know it was getting plays at that time. It's only been recently I've seen it getting any action (last couple of years), so I see Paul's point entirely.

At Driving Beat we try to put DJ's on who have a history of breaking new things in, and who still do, balanced with those who put great sets together (and plenty of different stuff as opposed to out and out oldies) but perhaps not necessarily earth shattering new discoveries. Blends both worlds and keeps the atmosphere going

Social source share

Here's my penny's worth, Paul it has always been and always will be like this simply in my humble opinion you have the majority of people without their own taste. This includes a lot of so called forward thinking Dj's, but really they're just singing off some funk or soul dealers hymn sheet who is classed as forward thinking. You also have those who play rare and different stuff (which on the outset is good) but trying to be different but the tunes are weak and mediocre like so much of the funk edged stuff being pushed as massive then forgot about in a few months as they have no longevity, simply cause they were just mediocre funk tunes. Then thankfully you have a smaller minority of Dj's / collectors etc. with a proper good ear for something new, exciting and genuinely good diggers who are open minded to it all!

The 'Future Classic' mostly will be a term used to enhance the value of said record someones has a few copies of and trying to flog in the near future generally. I can't remember at the DDA anyone saying to me this will be a 'future classic' it was more like 'have you heard this? it's fuckin unreal GET ON THE FLOOR' I was rarely disappointed as with clubs like the Greatstones, Belfast Soul Club  :wink:  :yes:  :D  heehee.. etc. 

Are the Dj's who are hand fed really innovative and great dj's just because they play big money tickets? Or as PaulB mentioned, are the real diggers/good dj's still overlooked on the scene nowadays? or is it a case of the limited amount of clubs that actually are worth going too? I rarely see a dancefloor these days for the same reasons as most on this forum, there are obviously a few clubs that are doing it well and i should make an effort to attend this year.

Just went off on a tangent their sorry..

L

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think you are right Liam it is subjective at the Greatstone we were lucky in that we all were similar in what we wanted to play but diverse in the fact that I was mainly known for 70's with the odd 60's thrown in same with budgie, and tony and Paul were mainly 60's with 70,s thrown in we even ventured into the 80,s and 90's, we all looked for underplayed or under the radar and sometimes just the plain oddball thing, also as the club was only small we could cater for a small crowd of people who were both happy to listen and dance. I am not saying we discovered loads of unknowns but we certainly played a lot of stuff that later became popular, we also tried to give dj's like Paul S, yourself Liam, Adam maxwell, Paul barker, Karl Rhodes (the list goes on) a platform and never dictated what the guests played we just used to say play what you want its new stuff we and our crowd want to hear. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!