Let's Give Everyone A Honest Choice - Now

JimK

Ok, the argument about OVO has gone on forever and, yes, we all understand the intricate argument too; occasionally it also becomes a bore. HOWEVER, after a long and sometimes heated chat over the weekend and some folk feeling betrayed (when they believe in OVO) at events they assumed were OVO/OFO etc turned out not to be - i.e. two big clubs seen playing pressings yet charging a few quid above the minimum wage to get in.

So, should events advertise as:

OVO - Northern Club - Manchester  - 9-3  - £5 entry

so that folk who truly believe in rare soul can make that choice.  If it is a general Northern night that includes pressings and the crowd are not that bothered about originality and more interested in meeting mates and just dancing to the tunes then it could be advertised as:

Northern Club - Manchester - 9-3 - £5 entry.

For me, the "100% vinyl" tag is just a cop out. 

OVO or not, could we start using this on the events page?

Jim

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A few years ago we had a huge debate on this subject, which is why you won't get many takers. The upshot was that many promoters chimed in with claims that they were indeed OVO. Unfortunately most of those thought they were, but hadn't a clue what was being played at their own event.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

...ahhh....Original Vinyl Only?....but OFO??....only flipsides only?!

Bimey.....it's getting technical init!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

...newbie...halfway there....where's me rusks...!x

Original FORMAT only ie, CD , Album track  ,cassette , mp3 , as long as it`s the original format it was recorded ! 

WiganBrian .

Social source share

Thanx Wigan Brian!x Genuinly had no idea...!x Now...here's a dilemma then! Carla Thomas...I'll Never Stop Loving You?!! Does that mean it shouldn't be played?! Ady gave us a Kent copy.....I was the first to spin it up t'North the night of the then 100Club Anniversary whilst I was at Blackburn A/N! It bombed quite regular when I spun it at Soul Nights.....but it grew and has become a 'classic' these days...and rightly so!x However.....I had 3 copies at the time...wore 1 out...scratched another....and swopped the last 'original' back in 1999! Ain't had it since! But...I have noticed it has been 'booted' or the like since those days! So...is it a 'blue' copy...of the original format which i;ve never seen if it exists....!....considered the 'original' format....or....as it is I believe a 'non' record like much of Ady's stuff just on studio tape or the like.......and if so............how the hell does one get the tape....?! Or is a 2nd copy acceptable of the first copy of the original acceptable?!x Just asking!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Social source share

I always wonder if people get up and check the matrix numbers before deciding if they're going to dance to something or not. How would this be 'policed' and who would be the designated ovo cop?  :g:

some folk feeling betrayed (when they believe in OVO) at events they assumed were OVO/OFO etc turned out not to be

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am pleased to announce the setting up of my latest commercial venture.

Original

Vinyl

Only

Investigative

Detective

Services

Or OVOIDS for short.

I will be recruiting investigators in all parts of the country to ensure that venues stick to their stated policy.

OVOIDS employees will be paid by promoters and will gain free entry and drinks at any attended venues.

Promoters who do not subscribe to OVOIDS' or god forbid do not stick to their stated policy will

have their anoraks confiscated.

Kegsy

Can I have an Interview Please, Pretty Please !!!!!!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Orange tabard woven into suit with "45" embroidered into left lapel. Black shirt ala gestapo style, long sleeves with French Cuff and "record centre " cufflinks. And a strawberry goatie beard. Because you're worth it!

Edited by Haydn
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Orange tabard woven into suit with "45" embroidered into left lapel. Black shirt ala gestapo style, long sleeves with French Cuff and "record centre " cufflinks. And a strawberry goatie beard. Because you're worth it!

If Carlsberg did OVO freaks !

Kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Original

Vinyl

Only

Investigative

Detective

Services

Or OVOIDS for short.

I will be recruiting investigators in all parts of the country to ensure that venues stick to their stated policy.

OVOIDS employees will be paid by promoters and will gain free entry and drinks at any attended venues.

Promoters who do not subscribe to OVOIDS' or god forbid do not stick to their stated policy will

Kegsy

love this 

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I always wonder if people get up and check the matrix numbers before deciding if they're going to dance to something or not. How would this be 'policed' and who would be the designated ovo cop?  :g:

Who needs to check the matrix numbers when there are cameras trained on the decks? :lol:

Social source share

I have no idea what you are waffling on about there Sooty, but the first vinyl release of Carla Thomas was on the 100 Club Anniversary single. Then it came out on Horace's, then Kent re-issued it themselves.

Any other vinyl copies are illegal bootlegs as far as I know.

We are both right Dave!!x the first copy's I had were light blue...like this...I say Kent...but it has Horace on there too!x 

124567462c25e94269016820efd4cab9.jpg

So...would the above be considered the OVO and OFO? Or...a copy of the OFO on V? The reason for asking is that I would like to get another copy and was wondering whether to pay £80 for the blue or a £10 for this...

TOWN135%20-B%20CARLA%20THOMAS.jpg

...from a DJing 'cred' perspective given the current subject and concern about OVO/OFO policys I may run into!!!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

...I gather this is definitely out of the discussion tho'...for DJing purposes given the OVO/OFO parameters?!x

carlathomasillneverstoplovingyouhoraces.

...and u looked good in the 100club pics I saw from last week end....nice 1X

@@

~

Social source share

We are both right Dave!!x the first copy's I had were light blue...like this...I say Kent...but it has Horace on there too!x 

124567462c25e94269016820efd4cab9.jpg

So...would the above be considered the OVO and OFO? Or...a copy of the OFO on V? The reason for asking is that I would like to get another copy and was wondering whether to pay £80 for the blue or a £10 for this...

...from a DJing 'cred' perspective given the current subject and concern about OVO/OFO policys I may run into!!!x

LUV

SOOTY

X

...I gather this is definitely out of the discussion tho'...for DJing purposes given the OVO/OFO parameters?!x

carlathomasillneverstoplovingyouhoraces.

...and u looked good in the 100club pics I saw from last week end....nice 1X

@@

~

I mentioned this tune before, if you own the original, Carla didnt get a bean for it, the reissues she did. not really in keeping with the ethics of our patron saint, Dave, if you want the original.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

The thread was really about honesty, nothing more than that.  It has diluted itself into other issues that some of us struggle with.

What I was saying really was that my issue has and always will be about HONESTY - nothing more and nothing less. Just tell the truth and we make our decisions accordingly. I don't care what other people play at their do's, I REALLY don't but please don't insult us and reckon you are playing something that you are not.

Nothing to do with being a "Soul Police Man", It's just that if I pay £10 to go to a do that "intimate" they play originals and they don't, I just feel ripped off. 

It's nothing to do with first issues Kent and Horace's arguments, it is to do with honesty.  Diluting it all down to what some call the pernickety approach to Soul music just detracts from the real issue and allows the pressers and carvers to ruin the scene.  Plenty bemoan about the amount of do's on a Saturday night - there are so many because there are so many boots and pressings out there.  I'm sorry friends, but you can't have it all ways.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I agree with your sentiments entirely JimK...X 'Fraudulent' promotion is out of order of any kind....dead right! If we went to the Ritz and folk were playing OOTP copy's then we'd feel cheated....and that serious point hasn't been lost on me mate...X The Carla Thomas scenario wasn't in my brain until you raised the topic!!!x However....when I apply the OVO/OFO approach to that tune in particular.....I didn't know where the acceptability rested! I still don't really!  Whether I can afford it or not is irrelevant....but if a £10 copy is considered acceptable for DJing let's say at The Ritz....then why spend £80 which could be used for another tune?!!!x

I suppose if I read my initial comments..they could be perceived as being pedantic! That's the problem when keeping comment short....it's open for interpretation! So i'll expand!x

A few months ago...a young 15 year old was kicked off of Soul Source unceremoniously for being....15! Rules are rules however they are applied. Ethan....is the lads name....he is a keen Soulie and budding DJ following in his family footsteps. They were disgruntled and a bit disillusioned at the time. I followed him up and offered to assist him with his collection and DJing aspirations. Folk will tell you that's 'standard' in my approach and indeed encouraged the youth back in the 90's when a Promoter. Many of you buy from such an individual today who was encouraged as a then 15 year old....16+ years later!x In essence I was investing in the scenes future....and it has paid dividends for all....job done!x This new lad Ethan...is at that point too....either he is encouraged...or becomes a stoner flogging weed like perhaps most of his mates will be instead of plugging into something useful and Sociable. Working with the Youth around the nation gives me such pessimism towards their futures. So....as I am putting a small collection together for him....as many dealers on here know...then the last thing I want to do is pile bootlegs or non PC copys on him that could detract from his aims to be a 'credible' DJ on the scene. Hence my sincere question. I have just bought a Carla for £80 to add to my collection. If that is what it takes to add to Ethans...then i'd rather buy him another lot of tunes for that £80!!!

That's what i'm waffling about.......and sorry to have not given the full SP in the first place...ok!x

So...is this issue 'acceptable' for the up and coming DJ...or not? Simples....

Thank you.....just being 'honest'...and asking for 'honesty'...as the thread sez...X

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

....off to look after some other orphaned folk and taking them to GO-Ape in conjunction with a Charity. I'm excited because as they ain't paying punters...I will be putting my newly compiled CD of my recent additions to my collection on in the limo....end of!! 30+ records.and I haven't heard many of them since they arrived from around the world as a friend put them on CD for me....today is the day for me to reflect on these recent additions to my 'cred'......and I hope all of yours day is as happy as mine will be.....!x

Edit....oh....and yes....The Startones ain't among em........ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!....and that's being honest.....poo....!X...but Patience will see me through........I reckon......!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The 'Up & Coming DJ' can play whatever he feels is acceptable. I'm not going to dictate how he conducts himself.

Personally, I would play the 100 Club Anniversary single, and although the Kent release would appear to have more 'legitimacy' (And I'm not asserting that it's not legitimate in any way), if we assume the 100 Club Anniversary is the 'promo', that means the first legitimate 'issue' is the Horace's copy, and the Kent single is a re-issue of that.

Social source share

I always wonder if people get up and check the matrix numbers before deciding if they're going to dance to something or not. How would this be 'policed' and who would be the designated ovo cop? :g:

You'd have a uniformed guard stood next to the decks, he'd check each record before it went on the decks. During a brief pause between tracks, he'd either give it either the thumbs up or thumbs down, like caesar, or the man from del monte,the crowd would voice their approval if the record passed and all 6 of them would stumble onto the dancefloor. If the recorded somehow failed, the offending dj would be put into some stocks and have rotten veg and fecal matter thrown at him / her.

Sorry, what's this thread about? DJs selling off big records and continuing to play them out off carvers?

Eh? What?

Edited by penny
Social source share

Sooty

Its the same situation with the MELBA MOORE --MAGIC TOUCH. I have seen Djs play all the 3 Kent/Horaces/100 club ANN releases.Personally i have the Horaces one which was done same year as the 100 club promo.I know some attach more cudos to the first one 100 club but if thetune was previously unissued as with Carla Thomas then i think any legit copy would be ok to play out

by the way nice stuff with Ethan Sooty good Man

Social source share

Ok, the argument about OVO has gone on forever and, yes, we all understand the intricate argument too; occasionally it also becomes a bore. HOWEVER, after a long and sometimes heated chat over the weekend and some folk feeling betrayed (when they believe in OVO) at events they assumed were OVO/OFO etc turned out not to be - i.e. two big clubs seen playing pressings yet charging a few quid above the minimum wage to get in.

so that folk who truly believe in rare soul can make that choice.  If it is a general Northern night that includes pressings and the crowd are not that bothered about originality and more interested in meeting mates and just dancing to the tunes then it could be advertised as:

Jim

Its a real minefield Jim. The only answer realy is to know who the promoters of the event are and find out the DJ rosta of the event.Then you will have a good idea of whats going to be on the Decks.

Social source share

The thread was really about honesty, nothing more than that.  It has diluted itself into other issues that some of us struggle with.

What I was saying really was that my issue has and always will be about HONESTY - nothing more and nothing less. Just tell the truth and we make our decisions accordingly. I don't care what other people play at their do's, I REALLY don't but please don't insult us and reckon you are playing something that you are not.

Nothing to do with being a "Soul Police Man", It's just that if I pay £10 to go to a do that "intimate" they play originals and they don't, I just feel ripped off. 

It's nothing to do with first issues Kent and Horace's arguments, it is to do with honesty.  Diluting it all down to what some call the pernickety approach to Soul music just detracts from the real issue and allows the pressers and carvers to ruin the scene.  Plenty bemoan about the amount of do's on a Saturday night - there are so many because there are so many boots and pressings out there.  I'm sorry friends, but you can't have it all ways.

Jim,

You want honesty mate? Most of the people who'll bother to contribute to this thread will be in favour of OVO and so at the end of it, it'll read like we all would prefer it. The problem is that those who don't care, and I include myself in this to some degree, because I've never checked the decks before deciding whether to dance or not, won't come within a million miles of the thread, so you won't get a true representation of an alternative view or a counter argument because those who don't care probably make up 90% of the scene. 

I will say that I prefer it if the records I'm listening too are original vinyl and I trust the DJs I know to be playing it, but I'm not a stickler. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

so you won't get a true representation of an alternative view or a counter argument because those who don't care probably make up 90% of the scene. 

I will say that I prefer it if the records I'm listening too are original vinyl and I trust the DJs I know to be playing it, but I'm not a stickler. 

Thanks for that Win, I wouldn't have thought 90% but I know you travel around the country on a regular basis so perhaps you can gauge it better than me.  That's a shame for me really.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jim,

You want honesty mate? Most of the people who'll bother to contribute to this thread will be in favour of OVO and so at the end of it, it'll read like we all would prefer it. The problem is that those who don't care, and I include myself in this to some degree, because I've never checked the decks before deciding whether to dance or not, won't come within a million miles of the thread, so you won't get a true representation of an alternative view or a counter argument because those who don't care probably make up 90% of the scene.

But who would argue against the rule of playing only originals? What would the argument possibly be? That there's a shortage of djs? That you dont hear gene toones enough? That mp3s are too cumbersome?

It's always left for the ovo police to explain why ovo should be the case. I'd like to hear a solid case for why re issues and boots should be played, should even exist?

I suspect you dont hear the arguments against ovo because thet're a bit pathetic, along the lines of 'I want to be a dj but would rather spend my money on holidays than old records'...

Re-issues are one of those things like cigarettes, pot noodles or elasticated waste trousers....lots of people partake in them, and god knows I'm glad they're free to do so, but there's never a stampede to run to their defence.

If you're not proud of it, dont do it is generally a good rule. Not one I've lived by like...:-/

Edited by penny
Social source share

*But who would argue against the rule of playing only originals? What would the argument possibly be? That there's a shortage of djs? That you dont hear gene toones enough? That mp3s are too cumbersome?

It's always left for the ovo police to explain why ovo should be the case.  **I'd like to hear a solid case for why re issues and boots should be played, should even exist?

***I suspect you dont hear the arguments against ovo because thet're a bit pathetic, along the lines of 'I want to be a dj but would rather spend my money on holidays than old records'...

Re-issues are one of those things like cigarettes, pot noodles or elasticated waste trousers....lots of people partake in them, and god knows I'm glad they're free to do so, but there's never a stampede to run to their defence.

If you're not proud of it, dont do it is generally a good rule. Not one I've lived by like...:-/

*Those who aren't bothered.

**People who think along those lines generally don't inhabit these sorts of threads, or if they do they certainly don't comment on them.

***That's a bit of a leap Penny, whilst I realise you've said ''I suspect'', it's still not based in fact is it. The simple reasons for people not putting up counter arguments is that they don't want to be judged, and don't feel a need to have their choices in life justified. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

*Those who aren't bothered.

**People who think along those lines generally don't inhabit these sorts of threads, or if they do they certainly don't comment on them.

***That's a bit of a leap Penny, whilst I realise you've said ''I suspect'', it's still not based in fact is it. The simple reasons for people not putting up counter arguments is that they don't want to be judged, and don't feel a need to have their choices in life justified. 

Well I go out to enjoy my self and the music and if I'm honest ,I couldn't really give a toss if its OVO or not these day's and far from keeping the scene alive I think its having the opposite affect  ,the scene has really been dead for many years anyway ,and as for Nighters ,I'm not interested any more a few trips to Stoke put me right off for good ,I've got my tin hat and flac jacket on ,so fire away lol  :lol:

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Jim

What place are you talking about Jim?? if you can't name then message me...

Social source share

Well I go out to enjoy my self and the music and if I'm honest ,I couldn't really give a toss if its OVO or not these day's and far from keeping the scene alive I think its having the opposite affect  ,the scene has really been dead for many years anyway ,and as for Nighters ,I'm not interested any more a few trips to Stoke put me right off for good ,I've got my tin hat and flac jacket on ,so fire away lol  :lol:

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

I genuinely prefer the records being played to be originals Baz, but I wouldn't go as far as checking the DJ list these days. Honestly speaking, I don't enjoy the drive home any more, even though my partner Jackie and I regularly share the driving. 

Social source share

think an earlier poster made a good point about ofo, you never heard anyone complaining about people not playing 'loving by the pound' of the original album. all this ovo talk really means is 'the rarest one' in most cases

I was lambasted for playing LP's at a gig.  Played Lend a Hand and also Willie Mitchell from LP's. They were after all OFO but frowned upon as they were not 45's. Saying that, it was a few years ago !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I really don't think that the vast majority care its just other DJ's and collectors that are bothered.  You generally check a record on the deck if it is a rare track and you are ogling at the label.  Bit like looking at a Sports Car that is parked next to your Car in the Car Park.  Looks gorgeous, couldn't possibly afford one so I'll carry on driving around in my 1995 Polo !!

I think we should have the common decency to let people know that the venue is an OVO venue and it is down to the Promoter to 'uphold the Law'. If they are found wanting then they should be brought to trial and explain the infringment.

It generally all boils down to honesty and integrity. Collectors and DJ's who do, collect OVO only. People who don't tend not to understand why those that do, do ! It isn't snobery or elitism, its down to personal preference.

I collect David Bowie items and have a miriad of items, all Original release.  Don't get them to play for anyone else or even parade around my friends, it's just for personal gratification. Just so happens that on there are venues that allow you to play your old Soul records, not so many for the Bowie stuff !!

I think 'The Scene' is dead for some people Bazza but for others its still alive and kicking. It's just not the way we remember or would like it to be.

Hallelujah :thumbsup:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I really don't think that the vast majority care its just other DJ's and collectors that are bothered.  You generally check a record on the deck if it is a rare track and you are ogling at the label.  Bit like looking at a Sports Car that is parked next to your Car in the Car Park.  Looks gorgeous, couldn't possibly afford one so I'll carry on driving around in my 1995 Polo !!

I think we should have the common decency to let people know that the venue is an OVO venue and it is down to the Promoter to 'uphold the Law'. If they are found wanting then they should be brought to trial and explain the infringment.

It generally all boils down to honesty and integrity. Collectors and DJ's who do, collect OVO only. People who don't tend not to understand why those that do, do ! It isn't snobery or elitism, its down to personal preference.

I collect David Bowie items and have a miriad of items, all Original release.  Don't get them to play for anyone else or even parade around my friends, it's just for personal gratification. Just so happens that on there are venues that allow you to play your old Soul records, not so many for the Bowie stuff !!

I think 'The Scene' is dead for some people Bazza but for others its still alive and kicking. It's just not the way we remember or would like it to be.

Yes you're right Tezza ,there still is a scene of sorts ,and I'm not saying I'm right with OVO ,the point has been debated many times on here. I can see all sides to it ,I really can't say who's right or wrong ,its not at the top of my list tho  :g:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Original

Vinyl

Only

Investigative

Detective

Services

Or OVOIDS for short.

Kegsy

I've launched a sub set of that in Bradford

Highly

Appreciated

Enjoyable

Music

Original

Right

Record

Only

Investigative

Detection

Services

Looking deeply into the piles of vinyl around here.

Sadly. Not much to report. But, as expected, quite a lot of sh!te :)

Edited by phild
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I've launched a sub set of that in Bradford

Highly

Appreciated

Enjoyable

Music

Original

Right

Record

Only

Investigative

Detection

Services

Looking deeply into the piles of vinyl around here.

Sadly. Not much to report. But, as expected, quite a lot of sh!te :)

Nice one Phil :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've still got Can't Help Thinking About Me on original 1966 pink Pye if you haven't got it Tezza.  Way things are going, it'll be up for sale soon.  I have had every UK Bowie release on original, but I've had ten times more bootlegs, we collected anything and everything, makes me quite ill thinking of how much money's worth of Bowie records I let my ex wife keep without a struggle...drag sleeve, Deram lp,  Philips lp just to name three

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!