So Many Djs... Why?

Winnie :-)

the most fundamental problem is that 90% of punters have the expectation of hearing tunes they know, be they oldies fans, rare soul obsessives or even the majority of the upfront crowd. How often do you hear 'he played.......' illustrates it perfectly, doesnt matter if it was a good or bad record, they always name the tune! 

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

over here in Perth Australia ,more than 1 DJ has gone to events with mobile phone used Shazam app to find out the tracks that work best on the dancefloor and bought them & then have gone touting themselves as a dj ,IMHO they are no better than Milli Vanilli as they bring nothing to the table ,dont search for obscure or new tracks just the ones that work ,lazy bleeders :thumbup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Trawling through the above comments inspired this....

I have never been asked to play or not to play anything....ever!! Huh?! I'm the DJ init?!! A good DJ should suss the venue...policy or local interests upon arrival or know the craic after hearing whats gone before! Personally before becoming established back in the 90's I had been to every venue as a punter I DJd at...apart from a few S/Nights I DJ'd at en route to a Nighter! I danced....made friends and did Soulie stuff either as a DJ or Soulie...nowt has changed from my approach!  Another good trait to develop for wannabee DJs is to be at a gig from start...to finish! As a Soulie or DJ....it was 'standard' for me!

I was oblivious as to what had gone before 1992. When trucking UK wide to enjoy the scene as a Soulie.....I discovered there was discontent among 'the people' as the DJs had perhaps gone too far ahead of 'the people' with their sets and left much of what was good behind! As I made friends with all DJs and factions be they into newies...oldies...obscure....rare or pop....then it gave me an across the board playing field which i embraced! The DJ's who influenced my new collection back in the 90's?? Shifty.....who would put Our Love Is In the Pocket next to Betty Obrien's She'll  Be Gone which was unheard of Nationally at the time really....and follow it with Don Varners Tear Stained and then The Phonetics Just a Boys dream.....all over the place.....but super tunes from wherever! Len....played Bud Harper....I'm sure I heard him play Jeanette before it went National followed by Janice...always with a smile and was dancing to other DJs throughout the night.....a proper DJ!! I danced to Butch at every occasion....but never sought to emulate or copy him.....no brainer!!hehe!x But took on board his confidence in presenting his music he believed in! Money? I could afford any tune Butch or any of them have....but I followed him often at the 100Club....and had the same confidence in my groove as he did....irrelevant of cost or rareity....and it worked for us both! He left me regularly with a £2000 pounder acetate spinning which I followed with a £2er on occasion from a Charity shop......and had the same success! So...money ain;t what is has to be I figured!x

Dean Anderson/Andy Dyson.....unbelievable tunes they were playing in the 90's....out of the ball park....all done with a content they had which never phased them! Cool hands indeed!x

Roger Banks...Bob Hindsley....Big Scotty....Pete Hollander...all cutting edge at the time and playing stuff you never heard anywhere else! Then you had what I call the 'entertainers'...which I am proud to be part of....Brian Rae...Keith Minshull....Derek Allen....Rob Smith....Dave Evison......always guaranteed floor packers and playing the best of what has gone before back in the 90's. To back all this up....I made friends with what were then 'armchair' Soulies....they'd been there done that and become philosophers of the music and scene so to speak! Richard Domar....and Kev Featherstone were it for me in the main! Richard was always willing to tell me the history of any tune if it had one in his huge catalogue he had in the 90's! Spent many times on the phone and at his gaff learning! Kev Fev.....he would get his magic box out at his house or at my little 50 people venue for 'rare' stuff...and play Emporer of My Babys Heart...Kell Osbournes Quicksand....and Bari Track and International GTO's......and not blink once!!! The best of what had gone before...and what was there to enjoy in the future! Waaay ahead of all our time he was! A student will become a Professor....and I gladly learned from them all...and am still a budding student............I recommend it!x

Being exposed to all these different DJs....cos I went to dance to their stuff.....put the miles in and 'learnt' from them....it made me a DJ that was focused on the people in front of me....and apply my music I believed in with confidence. 'Respect' had already been earnt from the people by being WITH the people at functions! Never stood wiv 'the few' to be aloof from the crowd....so never had a barrier to overcome when getting on stage! DJing was an extension to being a Soulie......never ever put DJ first in me 'title'....Soulie....was suffice! DJing after earning that respect as a Soulie...was easy....and always will be...when among your own!x So the best advice I can give for any DJ really is...be part of it.....not 'it'!....unless your Butch...or Ady...or Fev......which we ain't!x I'm brown so have no chance anyway....so i'll carry on doing me own fing based on the above....I reckon!x

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Believe me in the 70's and 80's there was more good stuff coming into the country every week than you'll see in a year on ebay.

Yes I know. I'm talking about entry level accessibility. There could be warehouses full of good stuff, as there was in the states, but it would still take a lot of knowledge and contacts to get into it. You cant just say 'otis lee was £5' then and therefore prove it was easier to get good records. It was a fiver becase there was relatively low demand, because it was very hard to acquire knowledge, to an extent because it wasnt fashionable.

Only hardcore collectors and northern soul enthusiasts would even know about the existance of soul bowl back then, let alone any of the records in it. Now, a bored banker could get into the whole thing from youtube, or a petrol station cd, and be 50k deep in it a year later, with as good a collection as a top dj.

Obviously it was easier and cheaper to get a particular record, ifyou knew about it and where to get it, but it was off limits to all but a few, and those few put work in.

Edited by penny
Social source share

Yes I know. I'm talking about entry level accessibility. There could be warehouses full of good stuff, as there was in the states, but it would still take a lot of knowledge and contacts to get into it. You cant just say 'otis lee was £5' then and therefore prove it was easier to get good records. It was a fiver becase there was relatively low demand, because it was very hard to acquire knowledge.

Only hardcore collectors and northern soul enthusiasts would even know about the existance of soul bowl back then, let alone any of the records in it. Now, a bored banker could get into the whole thing from youtube, or a petrol station cd, and be 50k deep in it a year later, with as good a collection as a top dj.

Obviously it was easier and cheaper to get a particular record, ifyou knew about it and where to get it, but it was off limits to all but a few, and those few put work in.

undoubtedly true but how does the bored banker get DJ spots if he's not part and parcel of the scene? And as far as I know none of the DJs at the 50 or so "nights" every saturday are bored bankers - most are ordinary folk with some records as far as I can see - a few lottery winners and a few spending their inheritance too. Putting aside the elite group of recognised "top names", for the rest of us it's all about "who you know" - if you have a venue you are much more likely to get regular work, because other promotors hope you'll book them in return, and so it goes on....mutual back scracthing gone mad.

On the collectibility of records, I remember Sam telling me how he got "Cheatin Kind" from Levine for £3 and then later traded it with Searling for Larry Houston...... :ohmy:  so you are right about the knowledge thing, there were "top sounds" and the DJs for the most part had little appreciation of rarity. It was all about getting the big sounds. That's mostly gone now.  

And these "top sounds" in the 70's usually turned up more often than not, so that most of the top DJs had them.....One gets it and then suddenly half a dozen have it within a few weeks..... :g: It was a right rum business!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

There will be another 'Stafford'....eventually there will be a back lash against the nostalgia whores & the majority of returnees will become bored again, the BIG promoters will make less money, so will move on to more lucrative business activities, a venue will rise from the ashes & the few hundred that have been lambasted for years for thier criticism of the fakers, will do what theyve always done....support the ethos of the original NS Scene.  A new group of DJ's will lead the final surge, & we'll have one last hoorah, before the eventual death throws of the scene.......

Russ

Uplifting Russ :) Reminiscent of a first world war suicide charge :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

there's some harsh critics out there.

If you truly believe in what you are doing, you should be able to take all kinds of criticism. I have seen many times, people who have had just the one 'insult', and boy could they not take it - That really shows em up for what they are.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If you truly believe in what you are doing, you should be able to take all kinds of criticism. I have seen many times people who have had just the one 'insult', and boy could they not take it - That really shows em up for what they are.

All the best,

Healthy debate but I don't think too many people understand the concept.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll give you a different view. In the 70's it was EASY to find new records. A trip to Soul Bowl with enough money and you were off and running. The DJs then were falling over records, and if you check the stories of people like Levine and Curtis sifting through the latest records to arrive on a Friday to agree what they would play Saturday.....it must have been easy compared to today. Spoilt for choice, all the DJ needed was money and a willing promotor. Can't even say they were good on the mic or putting a set together neccesarily, some were, some weren't. 

Much harder to find new records today or try and carve out a different style from the masses....

Hi Steve,

I’ve thought of a better answer…….“Thoughts were racing round my head like a pair of trainers in a washing machine” yesterday :D 

…….Hard work or not, back then no one D.Jed to ‘be someone’, they all did it to share their sounds - they simply loved the music. To be a D.J all those years ago was very ‘Tony Blackburn’ indeed, and so not cool (Meant in the nicest possible way that)

I know some were / are hero worshipped so to speak, but they didn’t set out to be so.

That’s my understanding anyway.

All the best,

Social source share

Yeah but there's a difference between Kenny and his Frank Wilson and the "pack" of "Top DJ's" all falling over themselves to play Del Larks, Eddie Parker, Salvadors, Mel Britt etc. week in week out. And then the third division (north) brigade with their Paul (W)Anka's, Holly St Jameses and Ruby Andrews "Just boring you".....

I was on the bill with Kenny a few years ago in italy. An upfront venue where frankly you could genuinely play across the board, no requests for oldies etc. no "Wigan handbaggers" within 1,000 miles. Well Kenny played his Frank wilson, and the reaction was amazing - there were people on the stage watching it go round, taking photos of it etc etc....caused a real stir! 

Mmmm, all that ‘malarkey’ isn’t ‘Northern Soul’ though is it? (imho)…..This record is a piece of history, and should have been kept in a protective case and hardly ever played out (again ‘imho’)  Maybe on a very special occasion (and getting paid a grand for the privilege of actually hearing this special piece)…..As for getting the label signed, well that beggars belief (still ‘imho’)

I think a great gesture would be to put the record on display, maybe at the Motown Museum c/w a ‘On loan from’ plaque next to it as a thank you……In fact, that’s what I shall do……

…….just as soon as it’s back from the restorers - They say they can at least change the ‘K’ to an ‘L’, so now it’s got ‘Lenny’ sprawled across it :rofl:

N.B - Let’s just take it as gospel that some of you will disagree with what I have written, any discussion isn’t going to change my view, so let’s leave it at that (I don’t wanna change Winston’s thread too much)

All the best,

P.s - I’ve nothing against Kenny Burrell - Nice Guy.

P.p.s - I’ve nothing against the record - Nice tune.

Social source share

Being an outsider (outside the UK, that is), I find this all kind of amusing for the simple fact that I'd KILL to be able to just pick and choose where and which venues I attended, and for that matter which DJs I went to said venues to hear. Simply don't have it here. And that's precisely why I've started my own things, for lack of being able to hear the tunes I want out without traveling serious distance (why spend that loot when you can just buy more tunes?  :wink: ). Can't some of what you're discussing here be for that reason as well? "My town doesn't have a venue that plays x & y sounds, so why not start it up myself?" It can't all be because John Townie wants to flex whatever muscle he has or thinks he has for adoration, or thinks he can do it better. Rare, over or underplayed, charity or personal gain, seems that this conversation is overlooking that aspect, that some folks just want a place nearby where they can hear what they want to hear. If they have a crowd or support, or even if not, they're still getting it going for the fact that where they're located doesn't have it on offer in any way shape or form. surely that can't be wrong? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There will be another 'Stafford'....eventually there will be a back lash against the nostalgia whores & the majority of returnees will become bored again, the BIG promoters will make less money, so will move on to more lucrative business activities, a venue will rise from the ashes & the few hundred that have been lambasted for years for thier criticism of the fakers, will do what theyve always done....support the ethos of the original NS Scene.  A new group of DJ's will lead the final surge, & we'll have one last hoorah, before the eventual death throws of the scene.......

Russ

Nice dream Russ but I think is just that a dream mate.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

If you truly believe in what you are doing, you should be able to take all kinds of criticism. I have seen many times, people who have had just the one 'insult', and boy could they not take it - That really shows em up for what they are.

All the best,

I'm like that - it's not that I can't take it - it's just that I know if I don't immediately either log off, or shut down the topic, I end up saying something or doing something I know I'll regret, so I go away for a while, come back and try and reply calmly.  So actually maybe I"m not like that - but it looks like I am, if you see what I mean.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Look on Facebook - and I apologise if this encompasses you :wink: - at the amount of fella's/lads with their headphones on/at the decks in their main photo...it really is not a good look.

If you scream, "I'm a DJ!!", then you generally aren't.

It may be 'The Look' on facebook, but interestingly (to me anyway) very few of them ever seem to come on Soul Source, either to defend or promote themselves, they appear to stick to their local area, so in effect aren't bothering anybody? So from the Devil's advocate position, what's the harm, and is it better known promoters being a little bit precious about attendances at their own venues? It's just a question, not necessarily just to Barry, and most definitely NOT a statement on my behalf, just trying to expand the thread a little :)

Social source share

Russ

The majority of returnees have already got bored again and left Russ, I recently went through my mailing list and over 700 had email addresses no longer working and nearly all were from the days of 2000 to 2005, after that I never ehard from most of them again.  It was they who provided the massive boost in the late 90's, but without them, everything is shrinking back towards the first few post-Wigan years in my opinion.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It may be 'The Look' on facebook, but interestingly (to me anyway) very few of them ever seem to come on Soul Source, either to defend or promote themselves, they appear to stick to their local area, so in effect aren't bothering anybody? 

Be interesting to know exactly what percentage of people on the "Northern Soul Scene" actually do come on Soul Source.  10% maybe?

Social source share

It may be 'The Look' on facebook, but interestingly (to me anyway) very few of them ever seem to come on Soul Source, either to defend or promote themselves, they appear to stick to their local area, so in effect aren't bothering anybody? So from the Devil's advocate position, what's the harm, and is it better known promoters being a little bit precious about attendances at their own venues? It's just a question, not necessarily just to Barry, and most definitely NOT a statement on my behalf, just trying to expand the thread a little :)

Your Fb page has a pic with you with headphones on dunnit Winnie ;0) haha :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Be interesting to know exactly what percentage of people on the "Northern Soul Scene" actually do come on Soul Source.  10% maybe?

You get added to some groups by the people who start them, without your knowledge that is.

You only notice when you get reems of Yvonne Baker, Bobby Paris vids plastering your wall :elvis:

At which point you take yourself out of the group. :wink:

These groups and how big they are show you how many retro types there are out there.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I really don't know why it bothers others that there are so many people that want to play records to others ?

My impression is you can't make a connoisser, there are people that will pay and quite honestly arn't bothered about what they hear , or if its on a specific format , they vote with their feet when they atttend a venue. 

Why waste your time trying to work out why or what ? Its a fact :g: .... there are players and their are Dj's and there are collectors that like to share their eclectic taste ...  to pool them all in as "Dj's" is the error in my view ... Dj's are not so many :ohmy:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think you'd have to break it down further Pete, loads of people would come on to look at Events, but might never venture in the other sections, so I'd guess a much higher percentage actually visit the site. 

Social source share

I really don't know why it bothers others that there are so many people that want to play records to others ?

My impression is you can't make a connoisser, there are people that will pay and quite honestly arn't bothered about what they hear , or if its on a specific format , they vote with their feet when they atttend a venue. 

Why waste your time trying to work out why or what ? Its a fact :g: .... there are players and their are Dj's and there are collectors that like to share their eclectic taste ...  to pool them all in as "Dj's" is the error in my view ... Dj's are not so many :ohmy:

I think that's an excellent point Carms, do the people playing the records actually term themselves DJs or are we affording them the title just to prove a point?

Social source share

Reading through the thread and noting most peoples comments I cannot help but feel there is an element of narcissism lurking somewhere in this DJing stuff.

I myself had a go once or twice because I wanted people to hear a few sounds I had picked up along the way......did a bit for Roger and Sam  and a spot at Bridgewater as well .Thoroughly enjoyed myself and FORTUNATELY for me so did the punters but never did it since.

Basically was a collector who wanted to spin a few records I thought the crowd might like...I was lucky but some are not.

Anyway realised it was not me but  therein lies the rub as they say...there are people out there with cracking records WHO ARE NOT DJs and there are DJs out there playing well.....not so good records to put it as politely as I can.

Social source share

In many areas of the country, it's not a case of so many DJ's, but too few.  We had a regular soul night in my home town organised by a local DJ.  Well attended by people from all over the county and quite a few from further afield.  When the lad moved out of the area, there was no-one to fill his shoes and take over the venue.  Not a problem for myself as I've always been happy to travel, but it's left a gap for those unwilling or unable to look further afield.  So spare a thought for those who aren't blessed / cursed with a surfeit of people willing to get behind the decks, for whatever reason.

Social source share

Had expected the topic to be overun from Djs who have been around for years that are mindfull of the new influx of good Djs with equally

good records and mostly collectors in the first instance . In my humble opinion its always good to see new faces behind the decks  no matter

how good or bad their  sets may be. Charity events often give the opportunity for new faces and  the old adage " you got to start somewhere "

comes to mind .Not that long ago i was given the chance to DJ again ( ran a mobile disco in the 70s /weddings etc ,you know the score ) and

although theres still some " rough edges " in what i do  and the odd " empty dance floor " , i have stuck at it and hopefully will be "sticking at it " for a

few years to come.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i would be surprised if it were even that many Pete

Social source share

I'm like that - it's not that I can't take it - it's just that I know if I don't immediately either log off, or shut down the topic, I end up saying something or doing something I know I'll regret, so I go away for a while, come back and try and reply calmly.  So actually maybe I"m not like that - but it looks like I am, if you see what I mean.

:huh:  :D Actually, yes I do know what you mean - Don't get me wrong, when I get criticism it does hurt sometimes, but that's because I care. The difference is, that their ego's get hurt, and that is more painful - I've seen it.

All the best,

Social source share

I think that's an excellent point Carms, do the people playing the records actually term themselves DJs or are we affording them the title just to prove a point?

DJ's.....in the real sense of the word out in the non Northern 'circuit'? To be perfectly honest Winnie.....if I review the hundreds of 'DJ's' I witnessed on the Northern Scene in the 90's.....I wouldn't be able to count more than a dozen that could have hacked a doo where DJing was what it was about!! Perhaps 20 could have entertained at a wedding and pulled it off consistently for 5 hours. Take away their Northern which is easy to hide behind....and that number probably would dwindle to half a dozen whom I would pick to tackle the general public with music entertainment......from a DJing perspective!x Any headphone wearers have no chance in the front line either....hehe!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Social source share

Thinking about it, it seems I don't see 'Across The Board' so much any more?

I like a bit of everything. On a good night, it'll be a few modern tracks, some interesting new/rare, underplayed oldies and maybe a popcorn-esq obscurity or two?

I'd go 3 hours in the car and pay 25 quid for me & Mrs Me for that kind of action.  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like a bit of everything. On a good night, it'll be a few modern tracks, some interesting new/rare, underplayed oldies and maybe a popcorn-esq obscurity or two?

I'd go 3 hours in the car and pay 25 quid for me & Mrs Me for that kind of action.  :thumbsup:

It's what I built my reputation on Simsy....I knew nowt else...! Missed out on getting bored with oldies or stuck in the mud for newies....it was all new....and I played 'music'...irrelevant of it's history or genre.....innocently!x U and ure Mrs can come to my first gig I promote again for free......my kinda guy!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You get added to some groups by the people who start them, without your knowledge that is.

You only notice when you get reems of Yvonne Baker, Bobby Paris vids plastering your wall :elvis:

At which point you take yourself out of the group. :wink:

These groups and how big they are show you how many retro types there are out there.

Or you could stay subscribed for a month and watch the members post and 'like' the same 50 records over and over again. You also play northern w4nkword bingo and spot such evergreen phrases as 'it'll never be over for me' 'KTF' 'memories' 'we were there' etc. funny as...

Social source share

Or you could stay subscribed for a month and watch the members post and 'like' the same 50 records over and over again. You also play northern w4nkword bingo and spot such evergreen phrases as 'it'll never be over for me' 'KTF' 'memories' 'we were there' etc. funny as...

You been there Byrney :lol:  :wink: 

Social source share

Had expected the topic to be overun from Djs who have been around for years that are mindfull of the new influx of good Djs with equally

good records and mostly collectors in the first instance . In my humble opinion its always good to see new faces behind the decks  no matter

how good or bad their  sets may be. Charity events often give the opportunity for new faces and  the old adage " you got to start somewhere "

comes to mind .Not that long ago i was given the chance to DJ again ( ran a mobile disco in the 70s /weddings etc ,you know the score ) and

although theres still some " rough edges " in what i do  and the odd " empty dance floor " , i have stuck at it and hopefully will be "sticking at it " for a

few years to come.

I have to admit, that what we are discussing does have a down side - It could put off any genuine new D.J from even trying, the 'unassuming' will back off quick, then we all miss out. You are right, everyone has to start somewhere, so let's try and recognise the ones that deserve a chance.

As the lovely Derek Alan was mentioned earlier - he followed me at my first ever nighter spot in Leicester, and what a guy to have on stage with me - He was really kind, and encouraging, he must have seen that it was a hell of a big deal to me.

Also Steve Smith (I think you are the same Steve Smith) along with Glen Bellamy gave me some nice words of encouragement when I D.Jed at St Ives years ago, that huge hall was very intimidating, and that little bit of encouragement went a long way.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have to admit, that what we are discussing does have a down side - It could put off any genuine new D.J from even trying, the 'unassuming' will back off quick, then we all miss out. You are right, everyone has to start somewhere, so let's try and recognise the ones that deserve a chance.

As the lovely Derek Alan was mentioned earlier - he followed me at my first ever nighter spot in Leicester, and what a guy to have on stage with me - He was really kind, and encouraging, he must have seen that it was a hell of a big deal to me.

Also Steve Smith (I think you are the same Steve Smith) along with Glen Bellamy gave me some nice words of encouragement when I D.Jed at St Ives years ago, that huge hall was very intimidating, and that little bit of encouragement went a long way.

All the best,

Like your post  Len , i am Frank from the Black Lion Salford a venue that has grown and encourages new talent ( and old for that matter )

• Helpful 2
Social source share

All the best,

HI Len

Could you send these guys up north in November, having previously only been in front of maybe a couple of hundred  soulies i've been asked to do a spot at a new nite starting up here. Although i've not yet seen the venue i'm led to believe that it is massive and can hold about 1500. Thankfully i'm on the first spot so it might not be to busy, but doing the first ever spot at a brand new venue I think that i might need some encouraging words.

Gogs

Social source share

HI Len

Could you send these guys up north in November, having previously only been in front of maybe a couple of hundred  soulies i've been asked to do a spot at a new nite starting up here. Although i've not yet seen the venue i'm led to believe that it is massive and can hold about 1500. Thankfully i'm on the first spot so it might not be to busy, but doing the first ever spot at a brand new venue I think that i might need some encouraging words.

Gogs

You go Gogs, Knock 'em dead. 

Where and when you doing that then ?

Social source share

You go Gogs, Knock 'em dead. 

Where and when you doing that then ?

Thanks Tezza

November 15th - The Picture House - 31 Lothian Road - Edinburgh (8.30 - 3am). From what i understand from the promoter it is a Northern Soul and Motown night that he is going to be putting on bi-monthly.

Gogs

Social source share

Being an outsider (outside the UK, that is), I find this all kind of amusing for the simple fact that I'd KILL to be able to just pick and choose where and which venues I attended, and for that matter which DJs I went to said venues to hear. Simply don't have it here. And that's precisely why I've started my own things, for lack of being able to hear the tunes I want out without traveling serious distance (why spend that loot when you can just buy more tunes? :wink: ). Can't some of what you're discussing here be for that reason as well? "My town doesn't have a venue that plays x & y sounds, so why not start it up myself?" It can't all be because John Townie wants to flex whatever muscle he has or thinks he has for adoration, or thinks he can do it better. Rare, over or underplayed, charity or personal gain, seems that this conversation is overlooking that aspect, that some folks just want a place nearby where they can hear what they want to hear. If they have a crowd or support, or even if not, they're still getting it going for the fact that where they're located doesn't have it on offer in any way shape or form. surely that can't be wrong?

Here's the harm - in this hypothetical example I'll use r&b as I'm no expert on the northern scene, although I imagine it follows comparable trends.

Recognising a genuine gap in the market, like, for example, no r&b being played in the whole country, a night starts, doing something genuinely new, and becomes a sucess. It pulls in people from its local area plus a floating pool of a couple hundred travellers. It's full, but not packed to capacity, so it needs everyone to maintain this pool of attendees.

For one or several of a variety of reasons, such as

* mr x cant get a spot at the primary club,

* primary club isnt felt to be playing the right sort of r&b, you see, about 37% of that played is 5 or more bpm slower than the acceptable level, and some of it falls 2, sometimes 3, years outside of the acceptable era, at each end etc etc

* mr x cant be arsed to travel and wants something closer to home

* mr x doesnt really like crowds, or the fact that primary club had 8 normal people in, and 2 young women, who clealy were enjoying themselves

'Mr x' decides to start a new night, possibly in another city, but equally as likely, in the same city, to satisy his needs.

No harm done right? Competition is good for the consumer etc etc and now we have the luxury of 2 clubs, one playing r&b from 1960 - 1966, and one playing r&b from 1958 - 1963.

Half the people at primary club really do prefer r&b from 1958- 1963 within the 100 - 130 bpm range in an ideal world so, even though they were happy at primary club, they jump ship to secondry club, as its more suited to them, and they like the promotor more, and he did invite them to his wedding.

Now no more customers are created, the whole pool was pretty much aware of primary club. So now that pool is split between two nights, which eventually split into 4, then 8 ...s.

Both are half empty, they limp on for a bit. Any potential newcomer gives them a try, sees that they're fairly dead, doesnt feel that welcome cos there's a fat middle ages guy in a shiny suit staring, so they fuck off and dont come back.

My point is that the primary club, unless it was seriously failing, or not delivering, had far more chance of expanding the audience on its own than 2, or 4, or 8 separate clubs in the same area do. People attract people. One consolidated audience creates an atmosphere that becomes an attraction in itself, except for the agrophobic

I'll not labour this hypothesis but hopefully you get the picture, more chiefs than indians is the jist of it

Maybe it's just a british thing

Edited by penny
Social source share

I have just spent the night in York and saw a few fliers around advertising a new night, Roots.

Looked a great flier with the ad stating there would be funk, boogaloo, ska etc played on the night. Back to the basics it says, from Desmond Dekker to The Specials(?)

Small print even stated that you can bring you're favourite 45's and they would play them for you.

That's great that collectors of quality music can get there most sought after records played for them, and the DJ will get the praise for playing your record. Sounds like they are onto a winner there. No initial outlay or knowledge needed, who the fak is running this one? Alan Sugar?

Edited by Haydn
Social source share

...erm Penny...if you don't mind me saying.....as a DJ of all music.....I would never ever ever doctored a tune to DJ with.....!x If it ain't right at 45rpm.......it ain't a record as made...a non thing...in my opinion!x I did do it once for a laugh....at the 100club.....B side of Raindrops on Top Rank by Dee Clark....it was xmas.....and I called it Emperor Of My Baby's Heart part 2....and played it at about 35 to get the effect...and it is Kurt or King Coleman for defo...!!! Folk danced.....it was xmas!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

....and to be perfectly honest...I reckon it was speeded up in the first place at the recording!! How can the drummer and backing keep up with it?????!!!! Always found it interesting from that perspective...!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_tLQBzxXA0

Social source share

Wish you could make it over here to Denmark, that's more or less my MO!   :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll not labour this hypothesis but hopefully you get the picture, more chiefs than indians is the jist of it

Maybe it's just a british thing

No, I believe the concept of choice is a global thing, even the Russians and Chinese have come to embrace this.  The great thing about the Northern scene is the amount of choice.  Maybe today we are spoilt for choice, but it's better than having no choice at all.

Edited by Steve S 60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

HI Len

Gogs

My Tips - Do similar to what I did at the recent (ish) St Ives 'Evolution' event, which was in the same huge Ivo Centre at St Ives......Before I had even played a record, I looked around, and said down the mike...."Wow, now this is a big dance floor to clear!" :D Basically 'grab' the moment, and from that, it can only get easier! :wink:

As Tony Warrot eloquently reminded us a while back on here - Most of all, enjoy it! :wink: 

All the best,

P.s - If you do get a few successful spots under your belt, never 'develop a 'Swagger'.....

Edited by LEN
Social source share