So Many Djs... Why?

Winnie :-)

When is the point when a "bloke with a box" becomes a "Dj".? Who decides.? The dancefloor or the established dj's.?

That is an interesting question kev, if your going over a few decades i would say the dancefloor. Cus they establish the dj's but the established dj's today have got their work played out. i think the new upcoming dj's should have a chance, not everyone wants to be a dj, they just want to do the odd spot too put smiles on peoples cakes, you get my drift cheers billy

• Helpful 3
Social source share

not everyone wants to be a dj, they just want to do the odd spot too put smiles on peoples cakes, you get my drift cheers billy

That's true - You've been around since The Northern Scene 'B.C' ain't ya mate? And yes, you've done the odd spot as you have described, but ultimately, you're out for a good time - I like that.....I must say hello some time btw.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When is the point when a "bloke with a box" becomes a "Dj".? Who decides.? The dancefloor or the established dj's.?

When I came upon the scene in 1992 Kev...most of the big doo's were sown up by a few...who knew who. The doors were closed for up and coming 'kids'. Shifty...Len...and many other good DJ's who had the presence and tunes were being overlooked...or not even loojed at really. There was no 'door' in...unless you had a mate in charge I suppose. The scene is no different to any other organisations dynamics!x We..as a collective...'forced'our way onto bills by promoting ourselves first...and earning a following....which meant dosh in venues doors. I paid for 110 to go into one of these venues personally and it was received with a smile! Never went to a gig with less than 20 people....which made promoters look up I suppose...!x So...what or who decided who is a DJ and will get exposure? Hmmm...the only advice I can give is what I did...win the hearts and minds of the people....and people power will make it work!!!x Although Neil who ran Keele in the 90's stuck to his principal irrelevant of how many ran up to him from our hoard asking when i was gonna get a spot...! I respect him for that....'the people' didn't!....I assure you!!! Mooooaning all night long....they did....and on the way home in the mini bus.....sigh!!!hehe!x I got over it about 10 years ago...! Some of them still haven't../and mention it every time we meet....."shame u never did Keele tho' init?"..hehe!x

@@

~

LUV

SOOTY

X

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

The simple answer to the original question ....

The reason there are so many DJ's is , there are so many venues that need em ,or am I missing the point ;)

You're missing the point :D 

All the best,

P.s - Just had me dinner (Sausages, Chips 'n' Peas) and I'm 'raring' (obviously) to go! :rofl:  :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

One of the main claims on Soul Source is that every man and his dog wants to be a DJ, the general argument for this is that people are jumping on the bandwagon. I'd like to put forward a possible alternative theory, and then 'you lot' can shoot me down and pull it apart :)

So most of the reports of the music policies of venues is that they're stale, for want of a better word. But these reports are usually from an individual viewpoint. So if you take man/woman A, B, C sitting in a venue.

Person A would like to hear mostly modern

Person B would like to hear mostly rare

Person C would like to hear mostly oldies

Through the night some of the above is played, and the people get up to dance to their respective choices, but come away thinking what they wanted to hear hasn't truly been catered for. They're looking at it from an individual point of view. They go home, look at their record boxes, and put together a set THEY'D like to hear. Then they tout around to get a slot, because in their mind's eye, they're certain they can do a better job of getting people to enjoy themselves. Can't find a slot, hire a small hall, new venue starts up. What's forgotten is that persons A, B, and C all had different choices when it came to what they wanted to hear.

Instead of being happy that during the night they attended, they got up and danced 10/20 times, they want a venue where they'd get up all night. What they mistakenly think is that everybody in the room has the same taste as them and will appreciate their efforts. The argument is based on individuality, as are a lot of the comments on here, the collective viewpoint is forgotten, dismissed etc. So by my reasoning, the simple reasons that their are so many DJs these days is that we tend to look at things from an individual angle rather than a collective one, pleasing ourselves has become paramount. Factor in that most of us can't dance as much as we used too, so if we're having to sit down, we want to hear records WE like. Feel free to expand, (your own theories) or rip apart this theory, next time I go out I'll still enjoy myself :)

Winnie :)

A pretty great analysis and it wouldnt be surprising as our whole culture is now grotesquely individualistic, the capitalist ideal realised I guess.

However I doubt most think it through that much, probably just feel cool doing it, have the required conceit, if not the records.

A main cause though will be how easy it is.

I started collecting when you had dealers, fairs and shops and the big problem was hearing new stuff. I can only imagine the work the top djs must have put in in the 70s and 80s, incredible really and that was djing - hunting newies a big part of it.

I remember searching 5 years for records which, post internet, turned out to be fair sized hits. that was keb's point about the 'rare groove' scene...most of the tracks were hits, they just seemed rare cos it was so hard to get records then. The whole process meant that only the seriously committed stuck with it.

Now its just easy, all you need is money, no real knowledge ir committment.

You could actually write a programme to collect for you - copy every decent playlist you see into it, it will work out the most popular tracks by frequency analysis and search ebay untill they come up, which they nearly all do, then throw money at it..

Money is the only requirement.

I think some djs operate by a similar process these days, I guess some have reached comfortable middle age with surplus money and time and figure that, worst case, its a cool hobby where you get your money back at the end when youve had enough.

Advances in technology generally only have a similar effect on anything creative -nothing better is produced, it just allows a load of half interested people into the game.

Having said that, the internet and ebay did open the collecting game up to people who werent in the usual dealer network and scene circkes, which was probably a good thing.

Aplogies if this repeats what others have adde

Edited by penny
Social source share

A pretty great analysis and it wouldnt be surprising as our whole culture is now grotesquely individualistic, the capitalist ideal realised I guess.

However I doubt most think it through that much, probably just feel cool doing it, have the required conceit, if not the records.

I started collecting when you had dealers, fairs and shops and the big problem was hearing new stuff. I can only imagine the work the top djs must have put in in the 70s and 80s, incredible really and that was djing - hunting newies a big part of it.

I remember searching 5 years for records which, post internet, turned out to be fair sized hits. Ithat was keb's point about the 'rare groove' scene...most of the tracks were hits, they just seemed rare cos it was so hard to get records then. The whole process meant that only the seriously committed stuck with it.

You could actually write a programme to collect for you - copy every decent playlist you see into it, it will work out the most popular tracks by frequency analysis and search ebay untill they come up, which they nearly all do.

I think some djs operate by a similar process these days, I guess some have reached comfortable middle age with surpless money and time and figure that, worst case, its a cool hobby where you get your money back at the end when youve had enough.

Advances in technology generally only have a similar effect on anything creative -nothing better is produced, it just allows a load of half interested people into the game.

Having said that, the internet and ebay did open the collecting game up to people who werent in the usual dealer network and scene circkes, which was probably a good thing.

Don't mind if I call you Penny still I hope :) 

Penny,

That is one of the most important points - The 'work' that went into getting 'that record' was amazing, and that 'Magic' has gone, which is a shame, but it's the world we live in.

All the best,

Social source share

I know people are being slagged off for playing pressings and the like, which people say shows little imagination...but what about the well known dj's who've paid top whack for a record and therefore they think they have to play it in every set they ever do?

Just as bad as each other (imho)

......In saying that - I respect that 'little D.J' that 'Had' to buy the pressing because that's all he could afford all those years ago - That to me is 'Northern Soul' :wink: 

I best have a break here, and give someone else a chance.

All the best,

Social source share

You only have to watch the Manship auctions every week to see that no work whatsoever goes into getting rare records...or even common records.  People with so much money that they don't care if they pay 3 or 4 times the records value.  It's like - if you gave me £50,000 say, within 2 months I could have a collection of super-rare top sounds, does this automatically promote me to being a top dj - of course not!  And thats the problem - people who spend loads on records suddenly becoming dj's...without putting the time in.

Exactly!

Bye for now :wink: 

Social source share

Just as bad as each other (imho)

......In saying that - I respect that 'little D.J' that 'Had' to buy the pressing because that's all he could afford all those years ago - That to me is 'Northern Soul' :wink: 

I best have a break here, and give someone else a chance.

All the best,

We all did that Len, but we didn't all aspire to be dj's, just getting the dj at your youth club to play the records was an achievement though we were lucky with our resident dj, he'd play anything we gave him

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Win,

If most did just that, the music would be so much more interesting - That is the point, 'some' just buy the same records that are being played already.

I started D.Jing because I wasn't hearing the tunes I wanted to hear, and I'm more than happy as long as someone is playing them.

All the best,

Exactly, and this should be the only reason to start djing.

Most, though, start by playing a collection of well known tracks, sometimes not even in a particularly new order!

! Like you, i have no interest in playing the same records as 10 other djs, but in a different order. 1 good dj who is buying heavily could, and should, replace all 10, and then all the other 100 who didnt even manage to buy the biggies. Im happy if theres a few djs playing what id play if I could, I'll get out the mix and enjoy a dance.

The r&b scene got flooded with djs and pressings and it killed it in a couple of years.

And for that reason...I'm oot.

Mik

Social source share

Sorry, just couldn’t keep away…..

…..What I find so endearing about a D.J is the ‘work’ they have put in. This is something I would love to explain to Simon Cowell about why, no matter how good a singer is on one of his shows may be — THEY HAVE SOMETHING MISSING!.....and that something is (ironically) the ‘X’ factor — They haven’t been round the pubs and clubs, putting in the hard work, and it’s that commitment that stands them (and D.J’s) apart from all the ‘wannabes’

I hope that makes sense.

All the best,

P.s - Still trawling through my old Soul Packs, desperately trying to find the latest discovery :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember searching 5 years for records which, post internet, turned out to be fair sized hits. Ithat was keb's point about the 'rare groove' scene...most of the tracks were hits, they just seemed rare cos it was so hard to get records then. The whole process meant that only the seriously committed stuck with it.

You could actually write a programme to collect for you - copy every decent playlist you see into it, it will work out the most popular tracks by frequency analysis and search ebay untill they come up, which they nearly all do.

I think some djs operate by a similar process these days, I guess some have reached comfortable middle age with surpless money and time and figure that, worst case, its a cool hobby where you get your money back at the end when youve had enough.

What a good post  :thumbsup:

Social source share

....and the people who are somebody, didn't go out to be anybody - They just 'do what they do', and to me it shines through.

Records even sound different played by different people - It's the way they play em :yes: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: [/quo

I agree there mate.

For me this raises a question: when did it become not a tad divvy to run round asking for a spot? I recall it was considered sort of 'a bit too hungry' to go round asking for spots in the 80s early 90s. If you were good, like say Kitch who never asked for a spot in his life - promoters would hear of you and approach you.

Not trying to ruffle feathers but this is how I recall it.

Social source share

And when people who attend the new venue they then want to hear what they want so they start their own night up, then when people who attend the new new night want to hear tunes they like they start a new night up, then someone goes to that new new night and decide they want to hear tunes they like all night so they start a new night up etc etc etc

Social source share

I'll give you a different view. In the 70's it was EASY to find new records. A trip to Soul Bowl with enough money and you were off and running. The DJs then were falling over records, and if you check the stories of people like Levine and Curtis sifting through the latest records to arrive on a Friday to agree what they would play Saturday.....it must have been easy compared to today. Spoilt for choice, all the DJ needed was money and a willing promotor. Can't even say they were good on the mic or putting a set together neccesarily, some were, some weren't. 

Much harder to find new records today or try and carve out a different style from the masses.....

....Well f*ckin' great, we were all doing so well, and you have to come up with something that makes us all look stupid!!!.......

.....Um.....um......um.....

um........got it!.....Steve, my misguided friend :rofl: ........These were different times, and they had nothing to compare with.....

......that's all I could come up with folks :D 

All the best,

Social source share

You only need a few hundred quid to become a dj so all this talk of being a lazy Internet rich divvy to become a dj ain't exactly true as most new so called djs ain't all got the big ticket rarities as its not them type of nights that are starting up week in week out.

What about those that have started nights in last few years that have been collecting for 40 years and just have great collections ....

Social source share

I'll give you a different view. In the 70's it was EASY to find new records. A trip to Soul Bowl with enough money and you were off and running. The DJs then were falling over records, and if you check the stories of people like Levine and Curtis sifting through the latest records to arrive on a Friday to agree what they would play Saturday.....it must have been easy compared to today. Spoilt for choice, all the DJ needed was money and a willing promotor. Can't even say they were good on the mic or putting a set together neccesarily, some were, some weren't. 

Much harder to find new records today or try and carve out a different style from the masses.....

Another great post  :thumbsup: And a perspective rarely aired. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You only need a few hundred quid to become a dj so all this talk of being a lazy Internet rich divvy to become a dj ain't exactly true as most new so called djs ain't all got the big ticket rarities as its not them type of nights that are starting up week in week out.

What about those that have started nights in last few years that have been collecting for 40 years and just have great collections ....

Of what though? If the records are being played anyway - let it be! Of course enjoy your collections (still great to collect), but why need to play em out if they are being played by someone else already?

Social source share

Of what though? If the records are being played anyway - let it be! Of course enjoy your collections (still great to collect), but why need to play em out if they are being played by someone else already?

The obvious reason is said records may not be being played in your area Len. With a 100 venues a week in play, the odds are that someone somewhere is playing the same record as you (well not you x) but you get my drift :)

Social source share

The obvious reason is said records may not be being played in your area Len. With a 100 venues a week in play, the odds are that someone somewhere is playing the same record as you (well not you x) but you get my drift :)

I'll take that as a compliment Win :D 

The 'obvious' reason would seem 'obvious', alas that isn't the case.....Going full circle - They simply wanna be someone (and a 'D.J' will do)

My opinion, but I'm correct of course :) 

All the best,

Social source share

If that was the case Len then there would only be about 2 djs. Many of the big name djs have been playing tunes others have played before them so where does the line get drawn for who can play what.

Everyone has their own take on what's a good night or good dj and many think they can tweak it and make theirs better. For me its not about how many events and djs there are its all about wether they clash or not within a same catchment area. Luckily down South there is hardly anything on and the few that are still going a few and far apart..

Social source share

If that was the case Len then there would only be about 2 djs. Many of the big name djs have been playing tunes others have played before them so where does the line get drawn for who can play what.

Everyone has their own take on what's a good night or good dj and many think they can tweak it and make theirs better. For me its not about how many events and djs there are its all about wether they clash or not within a same catchment area. Luckily down South there is hardly anything on and the few that are still going a few and far apart..

......there are only 2 D.J's...... :wicked: 

He he - I've never used the ' :wicked: ' before :rofl:  :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete Smith made the excellent point about a DJ being forced to play a big money item because it was expected, just look how many times Kenny had to play Frank Wilson, or Don Gardner. No choice in the matter really and to me another important and interesting perspective. 

I think he did have a choice.

The point was, that if a D.J owned a rare record, they wanted to play it no matter what (I think that goes on)....I've actually thought about this far too much, as I am now the complete opposite, having a few very rare records in my box that I hardly play out, because I fear folk may think that of me (true) The shame being that the said records are 'good!'

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Bearsy ,in my day it was about 10 pounds ,and few halfcrowns cheers billy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Funny thing is I often as you do have chats with mates fellow soulies and strangers etc etc as you do when out and about and talking shit to anyone that cares to listen and I can count on an abacus each night I hear slating of venues/music policies/djs etc etc, few weeks later they are attending said events and maybe months later doing a dj spot there ........

Social source share

The point was, that if a D.J owned a rare record, they wanted to play it no matter what (I think that goes on)....I've actually thought about this far too much, as I am now the complete opposite, having a few very rare records in my box that I hardly play out, because I fear folk may think that of me (true) The shame being that the said records are 'good!'

As a dj Len you should have no fear, man up and play em they was all only 69 cents once lolol

Social source share

How did he have a choice Len, what promoter when Kenny walked in said ''by the way, don't play Frank Wilson''. 

Social source share

How did he have a choice Len, what promoter when Kenny walked in said ''by the way, don't play Frank Wilson''. 

Me.....if I'd booked him :wicked: 

I've used it again! :D 

P.s - I've ran out of 'likes' folks......"no sh*t!" :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Pete Smith made the excellent point about a DJ being forced to play a big money item because it was expected, just look how many times Kenny had to play Frank Wilson, or Don Gardner. No choice in the matter really and to me another important and interesting perspective.

Win I have been asked to dj and to play my big money tunes as that's what they wanted me for and I have also been asked to dj and to not play the big money tunes. All about venues and what the promoter wants of you and I would rather be pointed in musical direction by promoter and follow that then I can at least pass the blame if people was expecting the other lol

Social source share

Yeah but there's a difference between Kenny and his Frank Wilson and the "pack" of "Top DJ's" all falling over themselves to play Del Larks, Eddie Parker, Salvadors, Mel Britt etc. week in week out. And then the third division (north) brigade with their Paul (W)Anka's, Holly St Jameses and Ruby Andrews "Just boring you".....

I was on the bill with Kenny a few years ago in italy. An upfront venue where frankly you could genuinely play across the board, no requests for oldies etc. no "Wigan handbaggers" within 1,000 miles. Well Kenny played his Frank wilson, and the reaction was amazing - there were people on the stage watching it go round, taking photos of it etc etc....caused a real stir! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I get what you're saying, but you'd have to know soul bowl or such like or you'd be fucked. I bet good records were lying all over the place but then how would you know them? Sure couldnt sit at home and listen on demand to 1000s. When I started buying mid 90s I was on soul bowl lists but didnt know what it all was - it still required a lot of work - going to do's, listening to stuff, even at soul bowl. I was going to goldmine regularly, but it was still hard work - listening to loads to find one decent one, and even then you'd have no knowledge if ut's rarity, unless you were in certain circles.

I think saying it was easier then than now, with ebay etc, is ridiculous. It might have been easy for the people whohad already put the work in to get to know the scene and the dealers, for those who were in the loop, but for your average person to get started - hard.

Which is why there werent so many djs, and a good market in bootlegs.

As has been said already, with a decent ear and a few grand, you could get together a good collection in 6 months now, without getting off your arse.

I agree that its harder to find new records today, because most soul records would be new back then, but that doesnt mean you just shouldnt bother. If there's 5 djs in the country who are managing to keep things fresh, then lets make do with them.

Social source share

I get what you're saying, but you'd have to know soul bowl or such like or you'd be fucked. I bet good records were lying all over the place but then how would you know them? Sure couldnt sit at home and listen on demand to 1000s. When I started buying mid 90s I was on soul bowl lists but didnt know what it all was - it still required a lot of work - going to do's, listening to stuff, even at soul bowl. I was going to goldmine regularly, but it was still hard work - listening to loads to find one decent one, and even then you'd have no knowledge if ut's rarity, unless you were in certain circles.

I think saying it was easier then than now, with ebay etc, is ridiculous. It might have been easy for the people whohad already put the work in to get to know the scene and the dealers, for those who were in the loop, but for your average person to get started - hard.

Believe me in the 70's and 80's there was more good stuff coming into the country every week than you'll see in a year on ebay.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

didnt many tunes pass for 10 times a weekly wage back in the early days of the scene if so what's the difference between those with money then and those with money now or are people who have been around forever the only ones allowed to dj nowadays. Funny thing is many of the big name been around for years djs play pretty much the same big money rarities week in week out but that's ok for them they are the chosen few..... Lately I have heard some of the best uplifting music from djs I've never heard of before and many of the tunes I never heard before with plenty of them a price of a slap up meal at nandos.....

Wasn't there about 5 Eddie Parkers I'm gone in the same dj line up recently at Stoke ? I bet they wasn't all bought for a quid ....

Social source share

So Many Djs... Why?

Simple answer, there aren't.

It's certainly true that there are lots of people who stand behind the decks playing records, but that doesn't make them DJ's, it simply makes them, people who stand behind the decks playing records. We might go out and drive a race car for the day but it won't make many of us racing drivers, will it ?

I think that many of the previous posts have quite accurately detailed the reasons why so many people want to, or beleive that they can DJ.  Nothing is going to change that, not this late in the day, we're all involved in a scene where the  number of supporters / attendees is slowly diminishing as the number of DJ's appears to be increasing,  the numbers just don't add up,it's hardly rocket science.

Actually, there are many venues now where all of the attendees are DJ's, it's just that much like the acting profession, 90% of them are not working or never will work. 

So what makes a real DJ, it's already been said, but I'll add this, it's having that special quality that makes it really worthwhile going out of the house on a cold November night and travelling 100 miles to hear their set. 

So on that basis there probably aren't that many DJ's about after all.

During the 80's and 90's when I was attending nighters regulalry there were 10 to 12 DJ's who I really loved to hear,  Today, some of the names have changed, but for me, there's still only 10 or 12.

Great post Shaun, may I add that those willing to travel outside there local town is few and far between so local events popping up everywhere which also makes travelling less appealing. Saying that they soon travel when they get offered a dj spot lol

Social source share

Lest we forget - Eddie Parker is still a great record mate, and if Ted or Shaun (or whoever) whacks it on the deck - I'll be up 'showing you all how to dance' :rofl: 

Best not to think too much (Yes, I see the irony here folks!) :D Follow the D.J's you love and respect (Each to his own) ....((Although I'm right))

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Lest we forget - Eddie Parker is still a great record mate, and if Ted or Shaun (or whoever) whacks it on the deck - I'll be up 'showing you all how to dance' :rofl: 

Best not to think too much (Yes, I see the irony here folks!) :D Follow the D.J's you love and respect (Each to his own) ....((Although I'm right))

All the best,

Me too Len.... A dance off lol

Bed now laters

Social source share

"Why so many DJ's?"..... Easy!, you just need the following......

1: Ebay.

2: A disposable income.

3: One of the many unused function rooms at your local working mens club.

Add in an over inflated ego and Voila! - you've got an instant DJ.

Succinctly put. There's a lot of collectors out there and a load of good records deserving to be spun, and not necessarily off eBay although this offers a quick fix. Sure the money helps to acquire the records but information is also required plus good contacts in the UK and USA. Access to venues underpins the trend so collectors with connections in pubs and clubs can promote themselves and reciprocate with mates doing the same at other venues as davidwapples suggests. However, a lot of these guys are not egomaniacs, just keen on the music and eager to rotate on the decks between decking some beers. Now the upshot of this is a proliferation of record-spinners and countless venues per weekend - is this a sign the scene's in good health or contributing to a reluctance to travel to the larger venues - you can decide by either supporting or ignoring the local soul eve or attending the regional 'nighters, or as some do, a mix of both. Either way, this is the way the scene has evolved and you can vote with your brogues or carpet slippers. Finally, a word to the youngsters; the future of the scene is in your hands so get practicing on those Technics in your bedroom and pub back-rooms as there's some harsh critics out there.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share