Frankie Nieves 12"

I think the bottom line is ,the 12" was probably being played before the 45 ,even though there's about 10yrs between them.

Both out of New York and as far as I'm aware ,nobody ever had a problem with anyone playing the 12" at a ovo night .

P.s "shite" is a bit strong Ivor ,not long since I had a well known Modern soul DJ asking for it and I suggested the Selena Jones ,but said DJ wasn't interested one bit and absolutely loves Frankie Nieves version .

That said ,even the guys at speed records mustn't have been impressed ,they called him " Terrible " lol

Social source share

I played out the 12"er several times with a nice response, but I have to say that I don't care about any police :wink:

Thought about playing it if it fits into a set. Am just curious did you fade it at the language change from English to Spanish or play the whole track? No criticism just interested, Dean.

Social source share

Hi Henning mate, i have both the 12" and the Speed 7", the 12" in my opinion is more than acceptable to play out in my opinion..

Brett Franklin

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

But if you have the 12" then play it right through and don't fade it when the Spanish language kicks in , just my opinion!

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Hi there,

I just wondered if the 12" of frankie nieves - true love is the original - so allowed to be played out with ovo policy?

Thx

Henning

I have both the Tony Middleton and The Frankie Nieves 12 inches

As a collector I have never considered them anything but the original legit 12 inch releases.

The sound quality is top draw and super loud on both releases.

2 great discs

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

the 'extended mix' is just both versions( English & Spanish) played back to back - might have even been done using 2 copies of the Speed 7"

I love the tune, but sold the 12" as soon as I found a copy of the 7"

format snob  :wink:

I totally appreciate that the 45s of all the speed tracks are more desirable than the 12 inches on the Northern scene.

Obviously, Its a 45 based scene.

But in answer to Hennings question, In my opinion, I class them as  the original 12 inch releases, and desirable 40 year old 12 inch singles.

I would have no problem playing them anywhere if I were a DJ.

But I feel the same way about LPs as well, so its all a matter of opinion.

I collect 45s, and 33s, Especially Latin / Boogaloo LPs, cause that's where all the nuggets are.  

Social source share

They're quite odd, these 12's, because they're obviously several years after the original 45 releases, but Disco International also put out some current stuff at the time (1975-78)

Not sure if this listing is complete, but it's interesting...

https://www.discogs.com/label/Disco+International

Does anyone know why they were issued? Demand from the NY Latin 'oldies' crowd in the mid-70s would be my first guess, but then why the Show Stoppers reissue?   :g:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

They're quite odd, these 12's, because they're obviously several years after the original 45 releases, but Disco International also put out some current stuff at the time (1975-78)

Not sure if this listing is complete, but it's interesting...

https://www.discogs.com/label/Disco+International

Does anyone know why they were issued? Demand from the NY Latin 'oldies' crowd in the mid-70s would be my first guess, but then why the Show Stoppers reissue? :g:

I think you'll find the Showstoppers was a big oldie on the disco scene of the time hence its issue on 12".... Sure I read it somewhere that it was even a big spin (I think)at the Warehouse in Chicago probably in the latter days of Disco and early days of House.

Probably the same with the Latin tracks then with regards to being oldie spins of the time.

With regards to the Frankie Nieves track....sorry guys but for me it's just a novelty version of a well known classic.....it's not a patch on the orig in any way.

I did own a copy which I had before it was on the radar of the scene. Once it started appearing on playlists I sent it up to John Manship who auctioned it for me. Trust me, no one was more surprised than me when it went for over £500...

Happy days!

I remember reading an interview with Dave Godin in which he said he was at Yarmouth and asked to listen to a record which was priced at £1000. He wanted to hear what a £1000 of Soul sounded like. On hearing it, he was not impressed and he likened it to" a President B-side". He then stated that he thought a lot of people lose sight of what is actually good and what are just rare or obscure. I feel thats applicable here.In the quest for new discoveries this happens an awful lot IMHO.

This is ONLY my opinion of course, don't let it put you off if you like it(as if you would ! )Lord knows there's worse stuff being touted around than this , I just don't understand why anyone would pay £500 for it when you think what that sort of money will buy you.

.Apologies for hijacking the thread by the way. In answer to the original question the 12" is a bona fide original pressing anyway. Play what you feel and don't worry .....

Best, Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Hi Ivor did you get £500 for the 12" ?, I bought two mint copies some 15 years back for peanuts, from the States, I gave one away, kept the other, but I also got the Speed 7" around the same time . Trust you're well mate . Brett

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Here's the label listing for the "Disco international" 12 inch releases and the LPs

I would have thought they were released 75, 76, ish 

12" (45rpm):

DIS 1501  Al Gonzalez / Guito Y Su Conjunto "El Rumbon / Guantanamera"

DIS 1502 Dave (Baby) Cortez "Happy Soul / Happy Soul"

DIS 1503 Louis Ramirez [Louie Ramirez] "Land Of Love / Land Of Love"

DIS 1504 Frankie Nieves "True Love (English & Spanish) / True Love (Spanish)"

DIS 1505 The Duprees "Delicious / Delicious"

DIS 1506 The LTG. Exchange "Waterbed / Waterbed"

DIS 1507 The Show Stoppers "Ain't Nothin' But A House Party / Ain't Nothin' But A House Party"

DIS 1508 The LTG. Exchange "Corazon / Shorty"

DIS 1509 Tony Middleton "Return To Spanish Harlem / Spanish Harlem"

DIS 1510  John Federico "Perfidia / Perfidia"

DIS 1511  The TNT Orchestra "Hello My Love / Hello My Love"

DIS 1512  The TNT Orchestra "La Pobrecita / La Pobrecita"

LP:

DISLP 1001 The TNT Orchestra: Together

DISLP 1002 Conjunto Salsa con Wayne Gorbea: La Salsa del…

DISLP 1003 Wayne Gorbea y su Conjunto Salsa" La Salsa y Charanga con

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!