Soul Supply Bootleg Lp's

Roburt

About a year ago I put quite a few of these LPs on ebay as I had never played them for over twenty years. Starting bids on them was £5.00 . Northern Soul Stories 6,7,8 went for £5 , NSS 2 and 4 reached £5.50, Soul of Detroit, Modern Soul Story and Modern Times reached the dizzy heights of £6.03. One person bought six titles so got a good deal on postage.

I used to buy each one as they came out when I was working at Ames/Virgin records in Stockport. They all sold fairly well on release but not much after the first month. Kent releases sold a lot better and for a longer period.

If I remember right, they were distributed by Charly and the rep once let me have a white label test pressing of the instrumental only release, After the Session, probably because he didn't want it.

If they didn't have the master tapes they managed to get good sound quality ,no clicks and pops or needle hitting the record.

They released a CD as well, which at the time I thought was a waste of time, who would want NS on CD?. Also not many people had CD players them. This must be quite a rare release now.

Rick

Social source share

About a year ago I put quite a few of these LPs on ebay as I had never played them for over twenty years. Starting bids on them was £5.00 . Northern Soul Stories 6,7,8 went for £5 , NSS 2 and 4 reached £5.50, Soul of Detroit, Modern Soul Story and Modern Times reached the dizzy heights of £6.03. One person bought six titles so got a good deal on postage.

I used to buy each one as they came out when I was working at Ames/Virgin records in Stockport. They all sold fairly well on release but not much after the first month. Kent releases sold a lot better and for a longer period.

If I remember right, they were distributed by Charly and the rep once let me have a white label test pressing of the instrumental only release, After the Session, probably because he didn't want it.

If they didn't have the master tapes they managed to get good sound quality ,no clicks and pops or needle hitting the record.

They released a CD as well, which at the time I thought was a waste of time, who would want NS on CD?. Also not many people had CD players them. This must be quite a rare release now.

Rick

I sold all my Northern Soul Story LPs on Ebay a few years ago too, interest in them was low, each going for less than £7 and like yourself, one buyer bought most of them.

I bought the first CD too, in order to get Epitome of Sound in 'glorious CD quality', but the sound quality across the CD was terrible, so bad in fact, that I felt ripped off and returned it to the shop for a refund. In my opinion, sound quality on the LPs was patchy to say the least. 

Kent LPs were in a totally different league, pure class.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just as the Double LP's were released, the single LP's were getting sold off through Scootering magazine for £1 a pop. 1987/88. Advertised as deleted, only to find out that the NS Lp's were in fact the same records re-marketed.

There was a Vinylmania LP called Cutting the Groove featuring Soul/Funk from British artists.

LPSS110? Wonder Boys?   Anybody see that one?

Social source share

Just as the Double LP's were released, the single LP's were getting sold off through Scootering magazine for £1 a pop. 1987/88. Advertised as deleted, only to find out that the NS Lp's were in fact the same records re-marketed.

There was a Vinylmania LP called Cutting the Groove featuring Soul/Funk from British artists.

LPSS110? Wonder Boys?   Anybody see that one?

oh thats sounds interesting, anything good on it?

Social source share

• 2 years later...

well if you offered it me today I would shell out allot more for it. It's one of those tracks, its not trendy in the 'Funky' sense but I'd imagine it would go for allot, Ive not got it, nor seen it for sale in years... so thats two of us after it...:-))

Mal

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Mal C said:

well if you offered it me today I would shell out allot more for it. It's one of those tracks, its not trendy in the 'Funky' sense but I'd imagine it would go for allot, Ive not got it, nor seen it for sale in years... so thats two of us after it...:-))

Mal

And the release on Emblem by Soul Inc is obviously more common but goes for more and is clearly an inferior version .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

IAnd the release on Emblem by Soul Inc is obviously more common but goes for more and is clearly an inferior version .

Yep recon your right there...  I dont think the prices reflects right on these two does it, maybe thats because of the way allot of people found out about the track in the first place, off that bloody SS LP!  all the same the Yellow emblem release comes up for sale reasonably often, and is worth what £250-300 for a very minty one, of which there are not many mint ones about, they always seem to be crap condition.  Much rather have the 'Charms' release personally, but you never see it... :-))

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

On 9/9/2013 at 14:50, Mick Sway said:

FYI

I was recently the subject of a rather objectionable e mail, threatening me with legal action

for just linking "Bootlegs and Re-issues" together in the title of an on line photo collection, of 45 record scans.

It made me realise how dangerous it can be referring to a series of records as  "bootlegs"

without any material evidence.

Well we all know who that would be then.

:wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!