Soul Supply Bootleg Lp's

Roburt

I know quite a few boot 45's fetch decent money these days (sometimes coz the buyer is confused about what he's actually getting but other times coz of true demand), but do any of the old 80's boot LP's fetch above £5 or so ??

I still have quite a few 1980's Soul Supply albums that if I recall correctly I bought direct from the shop in Mansfield (40 White Hart St) in the mid 80's. I believe they cost me £5 for 6 LP's as the shop seemed to have 100's of copies of each one just sitting in the racks.

Mainly contained 1960's indie label things that had been big Wigan tracks but a couple featured some or all 1970's recordings that had also been big on the scene.

I don't think any of the LP's have been out of their sleeves in over 20 years but guess they don't fetch enough to make it worthwhile moving em on.  

Social source share

I know quite a few boot 45's fetch decent money these days (sometimes coz the buyer is confused about what he's actually getting but other times coz of true demand), but do any of the old 80's boot LP's fetch above £5 or so ??

I still have quite a few 1980's Soul Supply albums that if I recall correctly I bought direct from the shop in Mansfield (40 White Hart St) in the mid 80's. I believe they cost me £5 for 6 LP's as the shop seemed to have 100's of copies of each one just sitting in the racks.

Mainly contained 1960's indie label things that had been big Wigan tracks but a couple featured some or all 1970's recordings that had also been big on the scene.

I don't think any of the LP's have been out of their sleeves in over 20 years but guess they don't fetch enough to make it worthwhile moving em on.  

if they are still mint I'd buy some of them to replace my copies...

Malcolm

Social source share

FYI

I was recently the subject of a rather objectionable e mail, threatening me with legal action

for just linking "Bootlegs and Re-issues" together in the title of an on line photo collection, of 45 record scans.

It made me realise how dangerous it can be referring to a series of records as  "bootlegs"

without any material evidence.

Social source share

FYI

I was recently the subject of a rather objectionable e mail, threatening me with legal action

for just linking "Bootlegs and Re-issues" together in the title of an on line photo collection, of 45 record scans.

It made me realise how dangerous it can be referring to a series of records as  "bootlegs"

without any material evidence.

Now that's something for another thread.!!! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I got some of mine from 'Andy's Records' in the high street. I got the first 3 'Soul Supply' single Lps then they started the double 'Northern Soul Story' and the first 2 volumes are fantastic gatefold sleeves with some terrific photos. A couple of the later ones had a poster inside. 

I'm pretty sure some of those double volumes have fetched £25 on the bay.

Social source share

The first 'Soul Supply' single L.Ps that came out just prior to 'The Northern Soul Story' doubles were:

'That Driving Beat' SS101

'That Driving Beat' SS101 (alt cover, alt track listing)

SS102 (?)

'Soulful Kinda Music' SS103

'The Untouchables' SS104

'The Modern Times' SS105

All these have tracks that then came out on the Northern Soul Story doubles (not sure of 102 as I don't have it unless they just changed the number on the SS101 alternative LP which is probably likely). 

Social source share

The first 'Soul Supply' single L.Ps that came out just prior to 'The Northern Soul Story' doubles were:

'That Driving Beat' SS101

'That Driving Beat' SS101 (alt cover, alt track listing)

SS102 (?)

'Soulful Kinda Music' SS103

'The Untouchables' SS104

'The Modern Times' SS105

All these have tracks that then came out on the Northern Soul Story doubles (not sure of 102 as I don't have it unless they just changed the number on the SS101 alternative LP which is probably likely). 

SS102 is 'For Collectors Only' and like SS104, has some excellent tracks on it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can't remember how many single LPs there were without checking?

There were 20 double LPs, Northern Soul vols 1 to 16, Modern Soul vols 1 to 3 and a Detroit double.

I sold the 16 Northern ones to someone on here about 3 years ago.

Most of the local record shops had them for sale at the time.

Social source share

Ive got the 'Modern soul story volume 1' double Lp. It's got some great tracks on it, including the ever in demand Stevens and Foster 'I want to be loved'

There's a couple for sale on Discogs €45 and $75 . A bit steep, I would have thought

I've got that Pete, and another volume too, plus some of the NS gatefold doubles............well done mate, I love Stevens & Foster and completely forgot it was on there!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

These pages give some info on the Soul Supply releases .......

... BUT .... it doesn't seem to fully cover their 80's releases ....

https://rateyourmusic.com/label/goldmine_soul_supply/va/

..................... AND  .... 

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/smithy57/goldmine_soul_supply__the_premier_northern_soul_reissue_label/

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

So are they legitimate releases or boots?

Peter   :rolleyes: 

I have it on good authority (American label owners, artists, etc.) that many (all?) of the tracks included on these releases weren't licensed from their owners and royalties weren't paid to track owners, song writers, etc.) ......... so in my book that makes them Boots. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

post-1281-0-22074100-1378846674_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-48874700-1378846688_thumb.jp

101 alternate sleeve and tracklist

post-1281-0-23137300-1378846719_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-76439100-1378846727_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-81123400-1378846752_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-68155500-1378846786_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-79600000-1378846789_thumb.jp

103  Soulful Kinda Music

post-1281-0-65116800-1378846881_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-60615100-1378846901_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-14452100-1378846925_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-40834200-1378848362_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-32170900-1378848418_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-64217700-1378848452_thumb.jp

106  Fingersnappers

107 Gatefold (was reissued in a single sleeve, with a mid blue where the pale blue is on the sleeve, and corrected track list - Build Your Love On A Strong Foundation replaces the John Wesley - 1st issues have a sticker placed over the title)

post-1281-0-23508900-1378849318_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-78312100-1378849472_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-23502600-1378849491_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-58697400-1378849505_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-92055900-1378849529_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-45960600-1378849864_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-94034600-1378849876_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-95235600-1378849885_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-49138600-1378850347_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-63354400-1378850394_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-12411300-1378850487_thumb.jp

110 ? 

111 His Way With The Girls

Social source share

i have a random question based on one of those jackets. That Soul Incorporated "What goes up must come down" was really only released as Soul Inc. on Emblem, and never came out as "Soul Incorporated" on a "Boo" label, correct? Was this LP the source of the information (or if wrong, misinformation)? Thanks in advance.

Social source share

i have a random question based on one of those jackets. That Soul Incorporated "What goes up must come down" was really only released as Soul Inc. on Emblem, and never came out as "Soul Incorporated" on a "Boo" label, correct? Was this LP the source of the information (or if wrong, misinformation)? Thanks in advance.

Which one Bob please? (I'm on my download limit!)

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Track 1 Side 1 of 'The Untouchables' LP (LPSS 104) .......

"What Goes Up (Must Come Down)"  -- Soul Incorporated .... (Soul Inc.) Produced by Arthur Smith.

A USA 'Boo' Recording ...... 1967

The above is copied straight off the back sleeve of the LP.

post-22122-0-81494600-1378885752_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Track 1 Side 1 of 'The Untouchables' LP (LPSS 104) .......

"WHat Goes Up (Must Come Down)"  -- Soul Incorporated .... (Soul Inc.) Produced by Arthur Smith.

A USA 'Boo' Recording ...... 1967

The above is copied straight off the back sleeve of the LP.

yeah, this is BS, right? The only label for this is Emblem? I'm asking because I'm trying to correct an entry in Soul Harmony Singles that has this single listed on "Boo". There is no reference to a "Boo recording" anywhere on the Emblem 45. Maybe it was someone's cover up related thing?

Social source share

yeah, this is BS, right? The only label for this is Emblem? I'm asking because I'm trying to correct an entry in Soul Harmony Singles that has this single listed on "Boo". There is no reference to a "Boo recording" anywhere on the Emblem 45. Maybe it was someone's cover up related thing?

Also states on the album cover ........ Produced by Arthur Smith

.... this was not in fact true !!!

Social source share

Thanks a lot, i think that seals the deal on it not existing on "Boo" (aside from the fact that I've never seen it). Maybe someone bootlegged it on it with fake credits or something, maybe it was cover-up related, maybe it was just something they put on the LP -- not relevant to me at this point.

Social source share

GOT RIPPED OFF BY THESE SHITHEADS IN THE MID EIGHTIES . REPLYING TO AN ADVERT IN " ECHOES " THEY BANKED MY CHEQUE FOR ABOUT £30 AND NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING . ANYBODY ELSE GET TURNED OVER ? BLOODY DISGRACEFUL

Nearly - same happened to me, received nothing, wrote a very angry letter to the same address and received my LP's eventually.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I still have a few of these that I bought from a Boston (US) record store c. 1990. Might be interesting to know how many US stores were selling them. They were somewhat influental on me - I was well aware of Northern Soul but had no idea what most of the records sounded like, it was cool to match stuff on want lists to the songs on the LPs.

Crediting people, labels, publishers without doing anything about the actual legalities was the MO for Bomp records and the Pebbles/High in the Mid 60s garage comps. It gave the appearance to a casual snooper that it was somewhat credible.

Social source share

I still have a few of these that I bought from a Boston (US) record store c. 1990. Might be interesting to know how many US stores were selling them. They were somewhat influental on me - I was well aware of Northern Soul but had no idea what most of the records sounded like, it was cool to match stuff on want lists to the songs on the LPs.

Crediting people, labels, publishers without doing anything about the actual legalities was the MO for Bomp records and the Pebbles/High in the Mid 60s garage comps. It gave the appearance to a casual snooper that it was somewhat credible.

They were in all UK record shops - Our Price, Virgin, all the High Street outlets had them, I bought all of them as they were issued from Our Price in Hastings, maybe after about NS Story 7 or 8 they had more trouble distributing them as I remember having to send off for a few after that.

Social source share

I don't know the origins of the so called "BOO" release but the track on the LP is certainly not the same recording as the Emblem single.

Edited by John A
Social source share

there were quite a few mistakes on these LP's,  some even came with stickers with the correct info over the mistakes, I always thought that sort of thing only added to the 'Obscure' feel they had, Personally I love them all..

We might have to also mention that famed Russian collector at this point "Stebor Nivek'... good stuff..

m

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

GOT RIPPED OFF BY THESE SHITHEADS IN THE MID EIGHTIES . REPLYING TO AN ADVERT IN " ECHOES " THEY BANKED MY CHEQUE FOR ABOUT £30 AND NEVER RECEIVED ANYTHING . ANYBODY ELSE GET TURNED OVER ? BLOODY DISGRACEFUL

Carl, they probably clocked ya name and thought "he's got everything anyway" and didn't bother :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!