Marvin Gaye - This Love Starved Heart Of Mine

thomas96

Guest Ivor Jones

Well, the idea of showing it is to first have a glance at his 'authenticity' before going anywhere else.

Well maybe Thomas doesn't want to post a photo up ? I don't think I would either under the circumstances without having it doctored....

Thomas- if it is genuine( and I sincerely hope it is for you), then it'll be worth a lot of money....

Got to be hideously rare. If its the proper thing....

Yours sincerely,

Ivor

Social source share

I found it, with about 20 others, clearing out my Father's attic. He said he got them from a friend of his who worked for the company and got them out of the Donovan building. So are there no other known ones? That was my main question here. I don't really care what it's worth since I'm not getting rid of it, but I'm 95% sure its genuine considering the source and the others with it. I'll see what I can do in regards to a scan/picture.. Don't have an iPhone so can't do that method.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I found it, with about 20 others, clearing out my Father's attic. He said he got them from a friend of his who worked for the company and got them out of the Donovan building. So are there no other known ones? That was my main question here. I don't really care what it's worth since I'm not getting rid of it, but I'm 95% sure its genuine considering the source and the others with it. I'll see what I can do in regards to a scan/picture.. Don't have an iPhone so can't do that method.

Wow ! I can't be the only one thinking I wish I could find things like that in my loft !

Just out of interest, what other artists/ titles are in the bunch you have Thomas?

Social source share

No there are several, I've had half a dozen myself so the actual figure must run into 3 figures.  They are usually white labels, with the title  typed on, and the words Jobete Music.

This was Alan Pollard's Carolyn Crawford acetate which I sold a couple of years back.

post-225-0-92799400-1310749724_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The provenance certainly sounds good

As already said if authenticity is kosher then there are folks who would snap your hand off for it

Nice find Thomas :thumbsup:

Social source share

No there are several, I've had half a dozen myself so the actual figure must run into 3 figures.  They are usually white labels, with the title  typed on, and the words Jobete Music.

This was Alan Pollard's Carolyn Crawford acetate which I sold a couple of years back.

post-225-0-92799400-1310749724_thumb.jpg

Nice sleeve writing, that. :-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I would like the MG from a collectors perspective, naturally enough, and doubtless it has some 'historical' significance or whatever you wanna call it. Nonetheless, as LSH was issued - assuming its not a different cut - I'm not sure I'd want to pay a great deal for it. (Originals etc... now that would be a whole different ball game).

Great find though Thomas and just my humble opinion obviously.

I now have that Carolyn Crawford Pete, plus a couple of unissued Velvelettes, Marvin's lonely lover and a couple of Temps too. Love em!

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

I suppose a full listing is not a possible ?

Social source share

The music from that cut originally came from a tape made by Rod Shard (in 1981) off of a tape I made (in 1978) directly off a Jobete Music acetate (while screening songs for "From The Vaults").  It was a typical mid sixties Jobete acetate, with a faded cream-white, blank label, with "Jobete Music Co." typed on it in black ink, and the song title in red ink.  There was no artist name. 

I'm sure that someone in UK taped it off Rod, or Dave Withers, and made some "new" acetates or studio demo copies.  Some years later, the original Motown/Jobete studio demos and acetates found their way into British hands through auctions or direct sales from people who took them out of the company's possession (In 1988 when the company was sold to Universal???). 

The original 1960s Motown/Jobete acetates and demos should be VERY valuable.  The early 1980s acetates/demos shouldn't be worth anywhere near those, but they are also dead rare, so I'd guess they'd get what people are willing to pay.  The fact that there was a legitimate? (or, at least mass release) later, with picture jacket (was it around 1990?), will hold down the value those 1981 pressings.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

The original 1960s Motown/Jobete acetates and demos should be VERY valuable.  The early 1980s acetates/demos shouldn't be worth anywhere near those, but they are also dead rare, so I'd guess they'd get what people are willing to pay.  The fact that there was a legitimate? (or, at least mass release) later, with picture jacket (was it around 1990?), will hold down the value those 1981 pressings.

From recollection wasn't the picture sleeve 45 cut as a limited Edition as a free bee at some US Motown promotional event back in the early 1990's?

There was a story doing the rounds that many of them were just discarded by the attendees at the time, as the folks weren't interested in the vinyl.

Or was this just urban myth?

Social source share

The music from that cut originally came from a tape made by Rod Shard (in 1981) off of a tape I made (in 1978) directly off a Jobete Music acetate (while screening songs for "From The Vaults").  It was a typical mid sixties Jobete acetate, with a faded cream-white, blank label, with "Jobete Music Co." typed on it in black ink, and the song title in red ink.  There was no artist name. 

I'm sure that someone in UK taped it off Rod, or Dave Withers, and made some "new" acetates or studio demo copies.  Some years later, the original Motown/Jobete studio demos and acetates found their way into British hands through auctions or direct sales from people who took them out of the company's possession (In 1988 when the company was sold to Universal???). 

I got loads of these off a guy in Detroit in 1989/90. Some great stuff inc many unreleased tracks. I still have most of them.

Social source share

From recollection wasn't the picture sleeve 45 cut as a limited Edition as a free bee at some US Motown promotional event back in the early 1990's?

There was a story doing the rounds that many of them were just discarded by the attendees at the time, as the folks weren't interested in the vinyl.

Or was this just urban myth?

No thats true.  

Social source share

I got loads of these off a guy in Detroit in 1989/90. Some great stuff inc many unreleased tracks. I still have most of them.

I bought two off you, two brilliant ones.  MIdnight Johnny alt mix and Hattie Littles - ~Love heartache and misery or whatever it was called - it was a fantastic take, 100 times better than the one that came out on CD.  I only ever played it out once, then I sold it to Stuart T.  Wish I'd recorded it.

Social source share

I bought two off you, two brilliant ones.  MIdnight Johnny alt mix and Hattie Littles - ~Love heartache and misery or whatever it was called - it was a fantastic take, 100 times better than the one that came out on CD.  I only ever played it out once, then I sold it to Stuart T.  Wish I'd recorded it.

Love, Trouble, Heartache and Misery. That was back in 2000 (where does time go?).

I wish I'd recorded it too :(

Social source share

Wow, the best unreleased motown imo - the hattie littles. Always though the backing on the released version was a bit subdued for a motown cut, would love to hear that, or buy it better still.

Social source share

Wow, the best unreleased motown imo - the hattie littles. Always though the backing on the released version was a bit subdued for a motown cut, would love to hear that, or buy it better still.

I played at Brighton at the Volks to no reaction whatsoever, and I'd played it to people like Mick Smith who didn't bat an eyelid so I thought maybe someone else could do a better job with it, think I sold it for 3 or 400 quid, I did record it but if it's anywhere it's on a minidisc and even if I found it, you can't record off a minidisc  :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!