John Manship Auction Results 4-9-2013

JOE TORQUAY

8311_1sm.jpg8311_1sm.jpg8311_2sm.jpg
Heem The Music Monsters Wake Up People C/w Piece Of The Rock

Seldom seen, highly sought rebellious Philadelphia Street-FUNK.

A floor-destroying D.I.Y. production, this tiny indie label gives up a deceptive intro - as the slow rap and yawn, suddenly explodes into a manic dance production with whirling keyboard work, thumping along at frantic pace - defiant lead vocal is supported by a vocal chorus and an incessant guitar, some inventive mid-70s “special effects” all add the boiling over atmosphere.

Flip over, and the group see no need to change course from this urban statement of discontent, the pace drops a notch but the horns and vocal presence ratchets up, yet again for another potent but manageable floor-shaker,

Two killer sides both dead-right for today’s brand of Northern Soul funk that seems to be reaching pandemic proportions.

RARE in the extreme!

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 732.00

8310_1sm.jpg8310_1sm.jpg8310_2sm.jpg
Artistics Girl I Need You C/w I'm Glad I Met You

Here is living proof, there is no need for any DJ to play borderline/inferior Northern Soul recordings when tunes like this lay dormant!

This 1967 Chicago coupling, offers two killer sides written by lead vocalist Tommy Green (aided by Othie Wright,& Danny Reed) TG glides through both recordings with consummate ease, driven by an inspiring Sonny Sanders arrangement, jelled together by the genius of Carl Davis, all directed by Gerald Sims.

Some gathering in the studio that was! So it’s unsurprising this 45 offers two very special sides indeed, so neglected I immediately added a USA Brunswick copy to my DJ box..

But before you today is no Brunswick release, before you is the ultimate way to own this double-delight - a neat and tidy - seriously elusive 1967 UK Coral DEMO!

Sound and vision doesn’t come any more impressive than this.

The winning bid was £ 146.00

8291_1sm.jpg8291_1sm.jpg8291_2sm.jpg
Ellen & The Shandells Gypsy C/w Try A Little Tenderness

AUDACIOUS NORTHERN SOUL, riddled with angst and defiance.

A hammond charged psyche/soul dancer, pure attitude-driven all-niter classic, bringing back memories of full dancefloors and wind-swept winter nights at Cleethorpes Pier; when sounds like this, made you forget the cold and the North Sea waves assaulting the stanchions below your feet.

FABULOUS TUNE!

..and this is the 1970 seldom-seen FIRST PRESS of the “Dry Well” - Lauren release, infinitely rarer and so much more desirable..

The winning bid was £ 593.00

8314_1sm.jpg8314_1sm.jpg8314_2sm.jpg
Clara Wood You're After My Guy C/w Old And Grey

BLACK stock copy addicts we think this 1965 Northern Soul double helping is one you very rarely see as a black label release.

Two killer sides !

The winning bid was £ 188.00

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

8315_1sm.jpg8315_1sm.jpg8315_2sm.jpg
Jimmy Hudson & The Carnations What's That C/w He Don't Love You

Especially for DJ’s and collectors seeking something exceptionally rare - you are now viewing a seriously obscure Chicago Northern Soul 45 busting with potential. Top side written by Jimmy Hudson himself - the man responsible for the equally rare Conquistadors on the same label

This is only the second time we have ever had this record for sale. It’s own-rarity over the decades has hindered any chance of a wider audience, for this upbeat vocal group NS shaker.

A rhythmic drum intro and haunting horns collide with Jimmy’s high-pitched vocal enhanced by a persistent girl-group chorus. But it’s the droning saxophone pumping out all manner of notes in the background that really gives it that irresistible appeal.

Flip it over for an equally compelling Sax driven session. Moody, dirty grinding groove with the sax-man again steadily pumping out the purring dance arrangement. It’s a mid-paced stroller of the highest calbre as Mr. Hudson gets steadily more commanding as he tries convincing his girl “He Don’t Love You (Like I Do).

This is a 45 for those of you who get a thrill out of owning and DJing with a record that very few other people on the planet have ever seen, let alone own!

The winning bid was £ 224.00

8290_1sm.jpg8290_1sm.jpg8290_2sm.jpg
Icemen It's Time You Knew C/w It's Gonna Take A Lot (to Bring Me Back Baby)

Creeping right back into vogue, as it it ever went away.. this league of quality never does. Currently becoming, yet again one of the most-wanted least seen vocal-group Northern Soul rarities of the moment.

Moody and down right dirty horn-crammed production, with attitude that creeps under your skin, as the slow drag style screams play me in that 2am Niter atmosphere, and see the floor swell. I just adore this vocal-group style of ignoring every commercial aspect of the era, and opting instead to deliver the studio mood on that day.

Preposterously good… and extremely sought-after, not only for Northern Soul but also for the vocal-group fans who go for the silky smooth down-beat flipside!

Resist if you can..

The winning bid was £ 539.00

8294_1sm.jpg8294_1sm.jpg8294_2sm.jpg
Little Kenneth & The Rhythmakers You Can Go On Home

Kenny Janise could not have been that little, check out this rampart Texas R&B romp - a Tex-Mex motivated brass runaway truck of a tune, with the growling Kenneth fronting the relentless production.

Brass burdened arrangement given a primitive echo chamber effect, but brandishing some of the effective instrumental breaks you could ever desire to load the dancefloor with.

POTENT STUFF

backed with a funeral march example of Texas Deep Soul again benefiting by those blaring horns.

NOTE this elusive rarity invariably witnessed with a water damaged label - as you can see both sides this copy is PERFECT in every way, with vinyl to match.

The winning bid was £ 223.00

8307_1sm.jpg8307_1sm.jpg8307_2sm.jpg8307_3sm.jpg8307_4sm.jpg
R' N B Scene August 1964 No. 2

R’ N B Scene no. 2 in this extremely rare series from Roger Eagle the leading all night club DJ and pioneer of the British R&B scene.

This edition is just crammed with historical information. Featuring the most influential USA artists and the up and coming British artists of the sound.

inc: artist pics & bio’s on Howelin Wolf, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Spencer Davis Group, Jon Lee Hooker, John Mayall + a full page picture of Chuck Jackson a man breaking through in England in 1964 with his 1st tour of the UK.

• R&B record reviews

• Twisted Wheel back page advert for forthcoming coming acts.

an plenty of enthusiastic editorial fro Roger Eagle, Simon A. Napier, Bob Groom.

This issue will be of special interest to British music connoisseurs with intuitive articles on the Spencer Davis Group & John Mayall.

Priceless insight into the beginnings of Northern Soul

The winning bid was £ 17.00

Social source share

8305_1sm.jpg8305_1sm.jpg8305_2sm.jpg
Sidney Barnes You'll Always Be In Style C/w I'm So Glad

A beautifully clean copy of the 1965 New York session enlisting the skills of some of the Big City’s most talented.

The indomitable partnership of Artie Resnick & Kenny Young again conjures up the mood of the mid-60s with clever lyrics about “being in style” arranged by the prolific Mike Stoller and produced by Jeff Barry under he watchful eye of Jerry Leiber. Add to that the Sidney Barnes effervescent vocal stye and you have a studio cram jam full of extreme talent.

So check out what happens when talent of this calibre converge to craft Proper Real-Deal foot-to-the-floor Northern Soul !

This attractive & rare PROMO copy is flawless.

The winning bid was £ 170.00

8309_1sm.jpg8309_1sm.jpg8309_2sm.jpg
Marilyn Powell Please Go Away C/w Where Did I Go Wrong

Very RARE 1965 British release Northern Soul that sells for 3 figure sums on it’s much-commoner Musicor 1089 USA release which doesn’t offer the mighty flipside on it.

This highly talented London girl, on this 45 delivers TWO not one killer Northern Soul Popcorn flavoured dance tunes, both perfect vehicles for her piercingly controlled vocal. A small label production by “RITZ” Records who gained a British release through Fontana, but still failed miserably with sales.

This double-hitter has lay hidden away for too long, known as the New York release but without the “Where Did I Go Wrong?” on the flip, this disc bristles with the quality to become a major UK want everybody missed.

Condition is sublime - now check out the impressive two-tune sound file.

The winning bid was £ 111.00

8306_1sm.jpg8306_1sm.jpg8306_2sm.jpg
Best Friend Around It's So Good To Know

As you can see from the label contours this s the extremely sought after original first press.

An uplifting New York vocal group dance 12” tune, featuring finely honed interchanging lead vocals but always retaining precise, tight as a nut group harmony.

This Roland Johnson composition & production, overseen by Peter & Patricia Brown ensures it bypasses the overwhelming disco influences of the Big Apple, delivering a killer dancer without the commercial cringe effects, crafting outstanding Soulful Dance.

THE ORIGINAL is such a rare piece, in the type of condition you dream of. Light label wear on the flip-side label is it’s only flaw (see scan)

The winning bid was £ 77.00

Social source share

8313_1sm.jpg8313_1sm.jpg8313_2sm.jpg
Ray Lewis Too Swet To Be Lonely C/w Sitting At Home With My Baby

Delicious New York crossover Northern Soul from the trusty pens of The Poindexter Twins & Charles Harper. Precisely constructed by Trevor Lawrence who blends a subtle mix of Piano, Horns and a sweet harmony chorus cradle Ray Lewis’s imploring vocal style.

This style is so very in vogue at the more-discerning Rare Soul venues; “Soul Essence”,” A Taste Of Honey” “The Orwell” jump to mind. Or indeed any early- doors set this quality spin that will have them peering over the decks.

Proper-Soul delivered with real warmth.

The winning bid was £ 136.00

8308_1sm.jpg8308_1sm.jpg8308_2sm.jpg
Mel Williams Can It Be Me C/w Jet Set

CLASSIC REAL-DEAL NORTHERN SOUL

In our younger more trusting formative years 100s of collectors fell for the Modern 1023 Promo COUNTERFEIT which is still doing the “rounds” erroneously list as a original - giving a false impressions on the discs true rarity.

So when we acquire a MINT 1966 genuine PROMO original press, we feel these pages may alert a few to the dangers of buying Northern Soul without being armed with the info to identify the “counterfeit”.

AUTHENTIC ORIGINAL PRESS Authentic ORIGINAL press.Small deeply scratched MM-1023-1 matrix is with the first of a THREE turn run out. Dead wax is 7.37mm. Label print definition is much sharper and is a lighter shade of red.

COUNTERFEIT PRESS. Is an excellent New York originated reproduction of the original but the red is slightly the wrong shade. 9.18 mm wide 2 turn deadwax carries a lightly scratched matrix reading MM-1023-1

Your chance to own the elusive ORIGINAL in “impossible” played once condition.

The winning bid was £ 300.00

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert