Shooting Star; L A Vocal Group Circa 1970

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Richard Parker was always Chicago based as far as I know. Besides writing and producing a lot of stuff (mainly early '60s), he was half of the Dutones on Columbia (the other half was Jerry Brown aka Jerry Townes).

Yes, but he did work with Arthur Wright & others (on for instance Mary Love tracks), I'd guess that those things were done in LA.

Richard P also had a 45 out on Right-On around 1971 & i'd say that was done in LA in conjunction with Morris Dollinson (Monk Higgins) after the later had relocated to LA.

Of course, it could just be a different 'Richard Parker' that did those things. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Yes, but he did work with Arthur Wright & others (on for instance Mary Love tracks), I'd guess that those things were done in LA.

Richard P also had a 45 out on Right-On around 1971 & i'd say that was done in LA in conjunction with Morris Dollinson (Monk Higgins) after the later had relocated to LA.

Of course, it could just be a different 'Richard Parker' that did those things. 

no it's the same guy. your theory that he went out to LA makes sense.

Social source share

I got this turd in the mail today. This is not a soul 45. A-side is some psychedelic pop crap, I think I hear three voices singing harmony with a girl chorus, maybe slightly soulish but not soul. B-side is a little more soulish but still pop, has two male singers, but not even Sam and Dave level harmony, i think they switch off maybe once or twice. There is a girl chorus in the background.

The main dude singing also sounds white, but even if it was soul dudes, it's not a soul single. I want my $25 back...

Social source share

Blimey Bob, just because it ain't harmony. Geisha is poor and was a commercial pop song written for a projected Japanese tour. The flip's OK soul a bit funky in places. The third track from the session is a lot better Your Good Lovin. Its unissued and will be out on the Era Northern CD. Eddie Daniels could only remember him and Jewel though as you say there is a third voice- the mysterious Parker. With Jewel and Eddie writing and singing the leads are unlikely to be white. Mine cost 10 dollars lol.

Social source share

Touche!

I've sent you the unreleased one, see what you think. I've replayed Just Gotta Brag and it's a turn of the decade, part funky, uptempo soul record. Not particularly good with Eddie Daniels on lead at times duetting with Jewel. The unreleased is a much better type of soul record though may not be your personal style.

Social source share

I got this turd in the mail today. This is not a soul 45. A-side is some psychedelic pop crap, I think I hear three voices singing harmony with a girl chorus, maybe slightly soulish but not soul. B-side is a little more soulish but still pop, has two male singers, but not even Sam and Dave level harmony, i think they switch off maybe once or twice. There is a girl chorus in the background.

The main dude singing also sounds white, but even if it was soul dudes, it's not a soul single. I want my $25 back...

I love your turn of phrase Bob ...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert