Gary Dean

Philb

Another interesting auction item from the Sotherby's of the Northern Soul world. Fancy a trip to Detroit to the source in Royal Oak or buy from the leading British seller and save on travel expenses? Wonder how many turned up in this haul as a good few have moved on eBay recently. My mint unplayed copy from Royal Oak upgraded one I bought off Rich Rosen a decade ago when he had a small quantity, but sadly the styrene hissed from sampling it on his carving-machine of a record player. Now this great tune has become more available to DJs it has stimulated further demand, yet again defying the laws of supply and demand (when an increase in supply normally results in a price fall). Manny now HAS to maintain the high-calibre range of auction sounds on a weekly basis so expect to bid against him more often in future when the mintiest rarities are up for grabs in the US eg Exits on Kapp, Maurice Williams on Deesu etc.

Social source share

Another interesting auction item from the Sotherby's of the Northern Soul world. Fancy a trip to Detroit to the source in Royal Oak or buy from the leading British seller and save on travel expenses? Wonder how many turned up in this haul as a good few have moved on eBay recently. My mint unplayed copy from Royal Oak upgraded one I bought off Rich Rosen a decade ago when he had a small quantity, but sadly the styrene hissed from sampling it on his carving-machine of a record player. Now this great tune has become more available to DJs it has stimulated further demand, yet again defying the laws of supply and demand (when an increase in supply normally results in a price fall). Manny now HAS to maintain the high-calibre range of auction sounds on a weekly basis so expect to bid against him more often in future when the mintiest rarities are up for grabs in the US eg Exits on Kapp, Maurice Williams on Deesu etc.

This isn't the highest calibre though. It's now an easy to find, non-demand 45 to anyone who knows anything - it's the ill informed sheep who end up paying double it's value in a JM auction.  Half the records auction lately are sitting in most serious collectors boxes already.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This isn't the highest calibre though. It's now an easy to find, non-demand 45 to anyone who knows anything - it's the ill informed sheep who end up paying double it's value in a JM auction.  Half the records auction lately are sitting in most serious collectors boxes already.

True Pete, some of the JM auction items recently have been commoner records but Gary Dean has been a hard to find record for a couple of decades, the lack of DJ demand reflecting scarcity and price rather than lack of quality as it is a proper Northern dancer. Sticking my neck out, I guess the Royal Oak dealer had less than a 25 count box and these only seemed to trickle out so maybe it is pretty scarce with less than 50 copies out there QED? Sure it's plain daft overpaying in any auction but there are plenty of sound reasons for going out on a limb to secure a specific record from a certain dealer that can be relied on.
Social source share

I bought this last year off the US fella on Ebay who was knocking out a load of unplayed stock copies . I won it at a very decent price (decent even compared to what it dropped to as well as what it has gone for in the past). First copy was cracked; replacement copy was cracked as well; third one was OK. Something else turned up soon after that I wanted more so I moved it on.

Wonder how many of those copies were cracked? :g:

Social source share

Pete I will pay £250 for one if you can get it.

Social source share

I remember it from the 80's early 90's but couldn't remember who turned it up or who played it first.  Was a biggie for Gary Spencer as well.

Gary defo played it out cos I've got a tape from the early 90s with it on, I got mine for a bargain cos it was under the radar at the time lol

Social source share

I didn't know this record until it was getting played at the Dome (Capitol Soul Club) - I think Carl Fortnum was playing it there. Used to love the 'Downtown' bit in the middle.

I remember when I used to stay with Flynny when he was resident @ the dome he had one in his box, and do remember him dropping in at least one set too.

Social source share

Might have been Dave that spun it at the Dome. It was a regular spin there.

Checked my notes and yes I played it at the Dome, but only the once on May 30th 2003 to be precise!

Irish Greg played it fairly regularly, so blame him :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!