The Verse That Means The Most - Soul Graffitti

JimK

Not sure if this has been attempted before.

What I'm planning to do is collate our favourite verse (or one liners) from our collection or memories - you know something that really moves you or gives you goose bumps when you hear it. Please, not the whole song.

Initially I was going to create a "Soul Wall" for myself but I think I might go bigger and attempt a publication if there's enough interest.

I intend to acknowledge any input with your name (if you wish) and location.

What would be nice would be:

a.  The verse.

b.  Song title & Artist.

c.  Reason why you chose that.

d.  Name, location.

Do you think there would be any mileage in this venture?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll grab an obvious one before anyone else does:

a) "You've had your warning, Now I'm leaving walking away from you, HA! I don't want no woman always telling me what to do, if you think you're the boss I'll show you what I can do . . . . . "

b) I'm Gone Eddie Parker

C) Aged 54, moved in with my partner of a few years just 5 weeks ago. Successfully raised son (aged 23) daughter (17), by successful I mean well balanced human beings with respect for all. Fiercely independent lifestyle over many years, lots of partners some good, some not so. Losing myself in this tune on a floor felt like justifying my existence at different times. Hoping now my partner is cool with the 7" brown packages that will be dropping through our shared door! 

d) Not sure what you mean here, name and location of where the tune meant most? Any nighter with space on floor,  but does have a special memeory of a quieter night at wigan, with space on the floor, having recently left a relationship.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Jimmy Conwell - Too Much

I'm Smoking more but enjoying it less

I get a whole lotta sleep but i don't get enough rest.

Can't recall when I first heard this but virtually the whole song is given with such emotion. Most of the lines are clever, humerous (in a strange kind of way) and thought provoking

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

When I feel the need - Marvin Gaye

The whole song does it for me, but the third verse in particular just sends shivers up and down my spine

''When my arms reach out for something

And I don't know what it is

I just close, close my eyes

And the first thing I visualise

It's my sweet baby''

I think it's partly to do with the construction of the verse, but mostly to do with the absolute need we all have within us at times, to call on our partners for support, and knowing that they will supply it. It's the joy of love. From the moment I first heard it at Prestwich all those years ago, to present day it touches me, a truly great lyric IMO When I first heard it I wasn't with anybody, but yearned for that feeling, I now am and that fourth line applies constantly. I dedicate the thought, the feeling and the line to Jackie. 

Social source share

I know you've seen me watching you baby, for quite some time

And it's written all over my face, just what's on my mind

I wanted to ask you for your love, in some sweet little way

Oh but every time I see you girl, not a word can I say.

I Can't Speak - Jimmie Bo Horne

Great lyrics that really resonate, and just asks the question "What if....."

Steve S, Cumbria

Edited by Steve S 60
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

"When you're sitting on your own and you feel the city lights surround you,

And she's always on the phone but you just don't think that you can fight it"

Odyssey 'Inside Out'

I just really like it !!!!

Hyson Green Flats, Nottingham 1982

Social source share

Can't choose between.....

"ever since I met you baby I've been walkin' into closed doors" (Frankie Beverly & the Butlers - if that's what you wanted")......and

"in the middle of the night I wake up screamin'" (Soul Twins - quick change artist)

both are some of the first lyrics I heard at my first niter and at exactly the right moment to benefit from heightened perception :wink:  

( A. Liker - Riker Town)

Social source share

A tongue in cheek plea:

I chewed my nails off one by one

I've only got one to go

And unless I see your face real soon

Nails I'll have no more

Heart Trouble - Parliaments

Such clever writing by Sidney Barnes and George Clinton.  Mr Barnes acknowledged their writing was at it's best around this time.  :D Cheers me up no end (despite the fact he was dumped!!

Social source share

"Love is a smile you give me that makes my day seem brighter

Love is your arms around me makes my troubles lighter"

My mum's favourite Northern tune - I can still hear her singing along to this in the kitchen when I was a teenager.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its got to be...

Its almost like eating beans by the pound then wrap me up in adhesive tape from the waist down.....blowing up my mind..the exciters

Mes thinks there'd be more than minds being blown up with all those beans

mind you that song is full of one liners...dynamite and nitroglycerine is like a fire cracker but bad for you....not arf....

what with mountain climbers and ovens this track is a poetic wonder

Geeooooordie

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Its got to be...

Its almost like eating beans by the pound then wrap me up in adhesive tape from the waist down.....blowing up my mind..the exciters

mind you that song is full of one liners...dynamite and nitroglycerine is like a fire cracker but bad for you....not arf....

Geeooooordie

Good shout Geeeeoooooordie lad!

Social source share

Its got to be...

Geeooooordie

I always thought it said  (compared to you)   that's what I've sung anyway.   :D   :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Jim

Good to meet you today. Mine would be something I want on my headstone.

"In this world that spins around, I've been up and I've been down, I have pounded every street, 'till my hearts cried to my feet, but I know somewhere there's room for me"

Jesse Davis "there's room for me" revere picture sleeve and for sale at a grand. Never taken off but it will and watch it rise in price!

Best

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can we have two?

Here I sit here in this old lonesome room

With nothing but the smell of sweet perfume

One silk stocking lying on the chair a yellow ribbon that you wore in your hair

Can't get over these memories, can't get over these memories

You all know what it is

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fantastic Four. live Up To What She Thinks.

Reason, it's bob on how I feel about my wife in a cocky grinny way :) , was the record played as we signed our marriage register and I used the words in my speech, not a dry eye in the house:

' sorry if I sound conceited but I think I'm better than you, if you had this girl of mine I think you'd be bragging too. She makes me feel so superior, she says no man can get next to her.

So I tell you what I'll do, and I'll tell you what you would do, said I'm going to live up to what she thinks.

Social source share

Can we have two?

Here I sit here in this old lonesome room

With nothing but the smell of sweet perfume

One silk stocking lying on the chair a yellow ribbon that you wore in your hair

Can't get over these memories, can't get over these memories

You all know what it is

Peter

Tie a Yellow Ribbon ?? :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"Oh I try too hard now baby

To get you to see things like me

Oh oh ay - it just ain't easy

Tryin' to live in the world today!"

"My, my my oh my little baby

Why do you wanna leave me baby

And keep on running away?

Bits n Pieces - Keep On Running Away

A big run to the floor record for me at Wigan.

First and last verses of a record that still has the power to make this bloke cry.

The combination of the screaming falsetto lead, falsetto's are normally used in a 'sweet'

way and the to and fro-ing of the male and female backing singers, coupled with THOSE

horns and drum patterns...simply play after play to this present day, it slays me.

I've never heard anything that comes near it for screaming passion...Anything.

Great thread.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just hung up the telephone,

I've heard all about you,

your new boyfriend couldn't wait to tell me, Huh,

that you and I are through,

Don't try to spare my feelings........

just get out (and let me cry)

GET OUT - HAROLD MELVIN & THE BLUENOTES -LANDA

First time I heard this in a sweaty talc/Brut smelling club :lol: it gave me goosebumps and still does to this day :yes:

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Wont type it out but the opening verse to My Dearly Beloved by Jack Montgomery.

One of my best mates favourite song that was played at his funeral. And for a long time after, if this was played, I could close my eyes on the dancefloor and see him dancing to it. Time passes by and the vision is gone. but the song can still bring a lump to my throat.

1985 (Funeral)

Social source share

Wont type it out but the opening verse to My Dearly Beloved by Jack Montgomery.

One of my best mates favourite song that was played at his funeral. And for a long time after, if this was played, I could close my eyes on the dancefloor and see him dancing to it. Time passes by and the vision is gone. but the song can still bring a lump to my throat.

1985 (Funeral)

Ah, good lad Mikey.

Peter

Social source share

A verse that does it for me, every time......

Sitting here with a broken heart, wishing you'd come home.

Sitting here with a broken heart  and I just can't go on.

You give me HEART TROUBLE, and my life just ain't worthwhile.

Without your love, I can't even force a smile.......

Heart Trouble, Parliaments.

I like it......, I like it a lot........(in voice of Dumb and Dumber's Jim Carrey!)

Social source share

I was talking with someone tonight who mentioned Al Wilson's The Snake.  Initially I thought, how many people think "I was sick of that track 20 years ago".  However, the thread is about how a verse or couple of lines affect you or make you stop and think.

With this 45 it was the lines "Oh shut up silly woman, said that reptile with a grin.  You knew darn well I was a snake BEFORE you took me in".

That doesn't half some up how some of our past partners have tried to change the person they fell for,,,,,,   Leads me onto Bobby Hebb!!!!

Sheesh!!

Social source share

I'll grab another bite at this cherry! Prepared to be honest . . . Been reading a bit at the moment about whilst venues like wigan were not the place for "picking-up" the opposite sex, many relationships came out of long-term friendships and mutual experiences: It would be 1981, a long friendship with Cathy (second name witheld out of respect!) led to a longer affair and relationship that all began with these words:

"Yah!, So we share our lovers embraces, Yah! In the dark of hidaway places, Yah! Where no eyes recognise our faces, Me here hiding lying, But these Stolen Hours are such golden hours, I'd be willing to pay any price for these moments of our paradise"

Patrice Holloway - Stolen Hours.

Also reminds me of JB (Phil Woods RIP), who smiled at the significance of that with me every time we heard it after those times.

And for a brief time paradise it was, all-nighters and stolen passion, . . . . . . still in touch after all these decades, that's the scene we had/have. Some apology for the sentimentality, but only a half-hearted apology. The lyrics of these songs have been the soundtrack to our lives.

Edited by Dean
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!