More Ns Tat Or Chance To Attract Younger Souls?

Dean

A work friend purchased a Fred Perry Twisted Wheel Shoulder bag from the Nottingham shop for her daughter to start back to school.

"Specially designed edition of the classic shoulder bag, created as part of this season's Twisted Wheel collection. The zipped style is complemented with woven patches featuring motifs and design details inspired by the legendary Northern Soul movement. Complete with our trademark twin tipping detail on the front slip pocket and an adjustable shoulder strap."

"A music and dance movement that emerged and prospered during the 1960s and 70s in working class areas of the North, Northern Soul grew out of the underground rhythm and soul scene. Largely overlooked by the mainstream media the movement centred on its followers.

The figurehead was the people - the kids who made the weekly pilgrimage to the clubs, the ones who had the best moves, the ones with the sharpest dress sense. It was all about looking good on the dance floor."

post-5677-0-79405000-1377770312.jpg

Sorry for small pic, there's different versions on the Fred Perry website (the subculture tab on the website has some cringing video inteviews on together with cuts from This England, Soul Boy and NS playlist), also there are shirts and vests with the same badges on.

My first reaction is FFS, but could such items, attract younger people to explore the music and clubs?

Social source share

A work friend purchased a Fred Perry Twisted Wheel Shoulder bag from the Nottingham shop for her daughter to start back to school.

"Specially designed edition of the classic shoulder bag, created as part of this season's Twisted Wheel collection. The zipped style is complemented with woven patches featuring motifs and design details inspired by the legendary Northern Soul movement. Complete with our trademark twin tipping detail on the front slip pocket and an adjustable shoulder strap."

"A music and dance movement that emerged and prospered during the 1960s and 70s in working class areas of the North, Northern Soul grew out of the underground rhythm and soul scene. Largely overlooked by the mainstream media the movement centred on its followers.

The figurehead was the people - the kids who made the weekly pilgrimage to the clubs, the ones who had the best moves, the ones with the sharpest dress sense. It was all about looking good on the dance floor."

attachicon.gifL3174_102_1.jpg

Sorry for small pic, there's different versions on the Fred Perry website (the subculture tab on the website has some cringing video inteviews on together with cuts from This England, Soul Boy and NS playlist), also there are shirts and vests with the same badges on.

My first reaction is FFS, but could such items, attract younger people to explore the music and clubs?

It's tat Dean, he says taking a sip of tea out of his much adored ''I love northern soul, it's not just a fad, it's a way of life and it'll never be over for me'' mug. Got to pop out now, I've run out of my 'Russ Winstanley sweeteners' :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

attachicon.gifL3174_102_1.jpg

No,

A few years back my youngest daughter bought a Northern Soul bag complete with big black fist, I asked, as she didn't like Dads music, why she'd bought it

It's retro innit, she replied.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The Twisted Wheel !

Isn't that the Club that closed in 1971. Reopened somewhere else using the same name. Closed, burnt down then fell into the swamp but reopened somewhere else using the same name ?

(may have change by time of publication)

Nice looking things but wont be worn by the people that do.

Saying that, when I was at Uni I saw a lot of Students with Che Guevara T Shirts on.  Today I see T Shirts of Bob Marley, The Beatles, Led Zep etc. Don't read too much into it, they just look nice (to them that buy's them init).

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

No,

A few years back my youngest daughter bought a Northern Soul bag complete with big black fist,

From the same shop?! :ohmy: 

Perfuse apologies, I couldn't resist - just a joke :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Nope...'twas in Manchester  :P

Anyway, the bottom line is that things like this will appeal to those that like this sort of thing...

Phew! - You do have a sense of humour! :D 

Back 'on topic' (I'm always writing that, can't think why :)).........It's 'tat' to us, but definitely 'retro' to young people, and to them whatever is on the bag is 'the look', and nothing more. We all still want it to be underground, and us being the young people to boot, but we're not anymore - so I suppose it upsets us (just a little) :wink: 

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You grumpy old Ba*****s :wink:

Checked with my 23 year old son (who I've never ever dressed up in 70s regalia and taken along to a soul night, although he does threaten to turn up so he see me attempt to dance) who laughed and said "Oh that will just attract the Hipster Mods (a new tribe every week?), you don't want them???? 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Out of interest is it more to numpty to a.) buy said bag or b.)  have loads of stickers proclaiming the fact that you're 'keeping the faith Okeh"** in the back window of your car?

** Not necessarily exact wording - other slogans are available.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

TAT.

in the same way that parkas are tat.

in the same way that Harley Davidson clothing is tat

in the same way that spencers, vests and beer towels are tat.

BUT

it will probably attract a whole new crowd of returnees to the "life style" they enjoyed for half a summer in the mid 70s

so it cant be a bad thing can it?

:)

oh and I can see both of my lads, and their mates, using the bags for college/sports, but I cannot imagine any of them suddenly wanting to join the "life style"

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Out of interest is it more to numpty to a.) buy said bag or b.)  have loads of stickers proclaiming the fact that you're 'keeping the faith Okeh"** in the back window of your car?

We're onto degrees of numptiness now. At some age we should have developed more discerning tastes. Young Hipster Mods (get me) buying a bag is like me wearing high waistband pleated multi zipped Oxford bags at 15 / 16. Thought I was cool and with the in-crowd! At that time Hipsters were what the girls who always ignored me wore. Not convinced I can adequately argue the case for either numpty after the age of 20!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Out of interest is it more to numpty to a.) buy said bag or b.) have loads of stickers proclaiming the fact that you're 'keeping the faith Okeh"** in the back window of your car?

"keep the faith" a term I've never actually heard any of my mates on the scene say. Ironically a term used only by those that didn't :)

Oh... The question. Tat, will not attract any newcomers whatsoever and falls into a similar category as kids wearing Ramones T Shirts.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

"keep the faith" a term I've never actually heard any of my mates on the scene say. Ironically a term used only by those that didn't :)

Oh... The question. Tat, will not attract any newcomers whatsoever and falls into a similar category as kids wearing Ramones T Shirts.

Very true Byrney  "KTF"  "KOKO" ,took me a while to get the koko one ,are these 90's phrases, I dunno ,but they were never used back then as far as I remember  :huh:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Social source share

We're onto degrees of numptiness now. At some age we should have developed more discerning tastes. Young Hipster Mods (get me) buying a bag is like me wearing high waistband pleated multi zipped Oxford bags at 15 / 16. Thought I was cool and with the in-crowd! At that time Hipsters were what the girls who always ignored me wore. Not convinced I can adequately argue the case for either numpty after the age of 20!

The difference being, that the 'high waistband pleated multi zipped Oxford bags' you were wearing, were for your time and style, not another generations'.

.....I used to wear Hipsters (Taylor made)........and I'm not ignoring you........(and to save anyone the trouble - No I'm not a girl!) :D 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The difference being, that the 'high waistband pleated multi zipped Oxford bags' you were wearing, were for your time and style, not another generations'.

.....I used to wear Hipsters (Taylor made)........and I'm not ignoring you........(and to save anyone the trouble - No I'm not a girl!) :D 

Was this Taylor a tailor :P

Social source share

Wasn't 'Keep the faith' what Dave Godin signed off his B&S column with in every issue of the mag back in the 60's !!!!

As he was the 1st national guy to highlight the existence of the NS scene I'd guess its true to say ......

A/ That it was a term used by some of those on the scene (at least back in the late 60's / early 70's).

B/ Isn't like KOKO (!?!? .... keep on keepin on ... I guess) a 90's phrase.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Quote from Dave Godin's B&S column in mag #82 (April 72) ...........

'Keep the Faith' is a well known expression that defies precise definition, but over the years gallant little President (of Jay Boy fame) have done just that, and now they have excelled themselves with their 3 volume set "Keep The Faith". 

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Was this Taylor a tailor :P

so pleased you are also keeping a firm eye on Len's syntax Winnie, it can be a full and arduous task at times given his propensity for posting

Social source share

Quote from Dave Godin's B&S column in mag #82 (April 72) ...........

'Keep the Faith' is a well known expression that defies precise definition, but over the years gallant little President (of Jay Boy fame) have done just that, and now they have excelled themselves with their 3 volume set "Keep The Faith". 

If you say so, my memory is a bit sketchy of them days ,but I do know if some one stuck there fist up and said " keep the faith "I would think they were a twat  :huh:

edited missed out "one" lol

Edited by Bazza
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

If you say so, my memory is a bit sketchy of them days ,but I do know if some stuck there fist up and said " keep the faith "I would think they were a twat  :huh:

Well you'd think many who attended nighters around 69/70/71 were tw*ts then.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

in the same way that Harley Davidson clothing is tat

That reminds me of the time I was cycling through Bridgwater once. Anyway the local chapter of Hells Angels pulled up beside me at the traffic lights all revving their HD's and all wearing their trademark jackets. This could be interesting I thought.....expecting some tough hoodlums prone to flattening bars in seconds, knocking cyclists over for a larf, not changing their filthy trousers for over a year - you know hard men types....Anyway I looked at 'em and they were a bunch of geriatric whimps like bank managers on a day off. It was both amusing and re-assuring I guess.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!