Best 80's Northern Soul Hit

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What is your fav Northern soul hit providing it would be an 80's release for me as believe it would be Gayle Adams - Baby I Need Your Lovin.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andycambs

What is your fav Northern soul hit providing it would be an 80's release for me as believe it would be Gayle Adams - Baby I Need Your Lovin.
Don't have one Paul, but as a matter of interest, do you prefer Gayle Adams or the Four Tops version?

Andy

Social source share

No paul please tell me your having a laugh mate huh.gif

Best eightys record on the northen side, Terry Callier - Dont wanna see myself yes.gif

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

No paul please tell me your having a laugh mate huh.gif

Best eightys record on the northen side, Terry Callier - Dont wanna see myself yes.gif

lovely choice Baz but from Pauls point of view hes obviously never heard soft cell. :lol:
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

what Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love or What. Four Tops good but Gayle Adams or Diana Ross and the Supremes do it better then Four Tops in my opinon.

Social source share

Trippin on Your Love was recorded in the early 70s but shelved. Stax (through Fantasy) released the entire album with re-recorded 80s backing: hence the synths on Tripping. Would love to hear the original takes, even if no versions exist with any backing. Maybe Ace have these sessions in their possession? Over to Tony Rounce or Ady Croasdell...

Social source share

Guest Darks

The Dells "Your song" was super massive on the Northern scene early 80s. This was before the seperate room Modern thing had started. Great record but not sure if some of the synth bits sound a bit dated.

Another monster was Kenny Burke "Let sombody love you" massive for Richard at Clifton Hall, again a one room venue. This still sounds great.

Oh and of course Charles Johnson "Never had a love so good" which took ages to become accepted. Was a cheap Soul Bowl new release for a lot of people. Heard this at Soulgate and believe me after 12 pints of Guinness this definately still sounds great. Flip side is also awesome but is deep soul.

One that I think was an 80s release but sounded late 60s was Alex Taylor "Slowly turning to love". Anyone remember this?

Regards Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert