Gobsmacked When I Heard This

Pete S

Mal C put me onto this. We both like a record called "Down By The Ocean" by George & Sonny Sands, from 1967 or 68 (New Voice label).  It's a cracking beat ballad.  Now Mal put me onto a 1975 release which uses the same backing track.  Seven years later!  Amazing stuff.  The A side was a Mecca spin but has this B side just been totally overlooked?

Sad to see the singer's daughter asking about it, saying her dad passed away several years ago and she doesn't have a copy of the record though.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Mal C put me onto this. We both like a record called "Down By The Ocean" by George & Sonny Sands, from 1967 or 68 (New Voice label).  It's a cracking beat ballad.  Now Mal put me onto a 1975 release which uses the same backing track.  Seven years later!  Amazing stuff.  The A side was a Mecca spin but has this B side just been totally overlooked?

Sad to see the singer's daughter asking about it, saying her dad passed away several years ago and she doesn't have a copy of the record though.

Written by Gladys Knight?

Social source share

Bought this as a new release from Black Wax in Streatham, but probably for the other side. Must admit I didn't cotton on to the backing track. The producer isn't Gladys from memory it's Garry, but could be wrong. He (DB) had a Motown cover which was popular at the time too. Ah "This old heart of mine"!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

George & Sonny Sands....now there's a group.....This was Sonny Sands  with Nate Adams who had earlier recorded as The Soul Brothers.....back in the early 60's like. And after the New Voice 45, Nate Adams went onto Atlantic......just adding a bit of colour!

Social source share

Bought this as a new release from Black Wax in Streatham, but probably for the other side. Must admit I didn't cotton on to the backing track. The producer isn't Gladys from memory it's Garry, but could be wrong. He (DB) had a Motown cover which was popular at the time too. Ah "This old heart of mine"!

correct, Gary Knight:.

I think that he co wrote a number of Mitch Ryder hits with Bob Guadio, including "you get your kicks" and "breakout"

Same fellow as in Dey (Tracey)  and Knight(Gary)signed to Columbia.

I think that he also wrote with Bob Crewe:

There's another tune by them that I can't remember at the mo.

Ahh here it is:

"Sayin' Something'" / "Ooh Da La Da Lay" (1966) Columbia #43693

Also see here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tracy-Dey-and-Gary-Knight-1965-Ad-Im-Gonna-Love-You-Tomorrow-Young-Love-/200913408984?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec75f53d8

Edited by Mick Sway
Social source share

I tried playing this for a while at the Lea Manor Albrighton, when would that be, about fifteen years back? (were you back living up here then Pete?)

It did okay and always drew dance floor action, but for records to break out in that era you needed another DJ to be playing it as well, and can't remember any of the other Albrighton Boys playing it? Not saying it was rare, but when so many other underplayed/forgotten & not known/new tunes were vying for attention, it's easy to give them the " 3 spin wonder " treatment ( think this lasted longer than that tho)

For clubs which championed Soul & the original explanation of " Across The Board", this type of sound fitted in perfectly, nestled in as it was amongst the 60's R'n'B stompers,the Y2K modden movers, the Detroit dancers and the ol' Mecca Magic 70's :-)

but having said all that I didn't know there'd been a previous 45 on New Voice

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I tried playing this for a while at the Lea Manor Albrighton, when would that be, about fifteen years back? (were you back living up here then Pete?)

It did okay and always drew dance floor action, but for records to break out in that era you needed another DJ to be playing it as well, and can't remember any of the other Albrighton Boys playing it? Not saying it was rare, but when so many other underplayed/forgotten & not known/new tunes were vying for attention, it's easy to give them the " 3 spin wonder " treatment ( think this lasted longer than that tho)

For clubs which championed Soul & the original explanation of " Across The Board", this type of sound fitted in perfectly, nestled in as it was amongst the 60's R'n'B stompers,the Y2K modden movers, the Detroit dancers and the ol' Mecca Magic 70's :-)

but having said all that I didn't know there'd been a previous 45 on New Voice

No I was still in St Leonards On Sea John, I never went to the Lea Manor, apart from a chaotic stag night in 1982  :lol:

I admire the pioneering spirit if not a lot of the music played there (am no fan of crossover) I think you'd enjoy the New Voice record, I think it's better than this Mercury one, but I do really like both of them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!