Ian Levines 10Th Podcast

Wiganer1

This could be the greatest podcast in the world but reviewing it, no matter how rationally, is pointless because any positive comment is construed as upping IL's persona and any critique, no matter how constructive, is construed as a deep personal attack on IL and met with barrage of counter-attacks from mindless yes-men and then the great man himself. Then you become a personal enemy of IL for expressing an opinion on music.

I wish this were about the music and the actual artists. There's obviously some good music on here, unfortunately tainted by the context.

Yep that's how a lot of us feel Bob.

You could say that some of them are good records known to collectors. You could say that some are lesser known. You could say some of them aren't good and some of the so called rarest aren't in the Manship price guide because they're obviously not soul records.......The Panics and Cilka indeed! 

BUT it doesn't matter what you say, views on Ian's music have become so polarised it's best just to ignore it all. To his fans he's obviously doing a fantastic job with these podcasts. And I hope they all put their money where their keyboard comments are and turn out to support him at his new London night. 

We all know that Ian doesn't react at all well to criticism but where do these podcasts fit in with today's northern / rare scene? He's never going to appeal to the oldies fans with this stuff, and the collector /rare soul people are the ones likely to know these records. Dave Abbott and others playing Irma Routen.....Dave T cover up on The Products etc. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Its such a loaded subject this, but I have to say I love Ian's Pod casts, they are great... and although some of what he says is wrapped up in the 'Struggle' he has with who ever... it makes for interesting listening in addition to the music. As for values, I agree, you should never mention value because its not about the music..

I hope he keeps on doing them, I for one will listen in...

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

i just wrote some more but erased it, it's pointless, as there's no way to have a constructive conversation about his music without it being a conversation about him. And there's no way to have a constructive conversation about him. I even played a Levine record on my radio show today, an LJ Johnson record, LJ has such a fantastic voice, and I'm glad the record was made. Next week I'm interviewing a group (the Teques) where one of the members doesn't have a such positive opinion of Ian, but she can say what she wants to when she speaks.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i just wrote some more but erased it, it's pointless, as there's no way to have a constructive conversation about his music without it being a conversation about him. And there's no way to have a constructive conversation about him. I even played a Levine record on my radio show today, an LJ Johnson record, LJ has such a fantastic voice, and I'm glad the record was made. Next week I'm interviewing a group (the Teques) where one of the members doesn't have a such positive opinion of Ian, but she can say what she wants to when she speaks.

What did they say  ...Did'nt think levine worked with them ?

Social source share

The Teques

If I Could is a brilliant tune IMHO.

Kegsy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

If this is the best of the 10 then I don't think I will be listening to any of the others lol. Best track on there is the Tommy Tucker the rest sadly to my ears are less than average at best. Would anyone give this to someone to listen to and say "this is what Northern Soul is all about" I know I wouldn't.

Social source share

Couple of Decent tracks as usual, all can't be to everyones tastes nice to see Daves Products uncovered every now & then IL does show some soul taste for others to enjoy but reading some of the comments here I can see why he gets a tad miffed but as we all know when someone leaves the room someone will always make comments wether in jest or just being twofaced. Oh & I won't be going to London.

Social source share

I knew I knew that Panics record. I got an email just now from a friend, Paul, and he said 'have you still got my Panics record' and I said what?  He said it was in the cheapies boxes he gave me 2 months back - I just dumped them in the garage as there was nothing there - and lo and behold, there it was, a Swan demo.

Obviously this makes me re-evaluate the record, I misjudged it before and now I think it's great so if anyone wants a copy, I'm your man!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

in case anyone thinks I make this stuff up..

post-1893-0-74166900-1378284295_thumb.jp

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I quite liked Irma Routen when  I first heard it from Barrie Waddington about 10 years ago so bought it off him for £150 and sold it on here for about the same I think- Played it out a couple of times when I first bought it to bemused punters and I have to agree with Pete - It does sound like a show tune. If IM not mistaken the other side is pretty good. Never seen an Issue copy.

The other side is Daydream, I agree it's good too.

Social source share

Another artist looking for a copy of her own track need to see the article on youtube.

Can someone let her know Manships got a copy for a tenner.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/search/Label/Star-vue/all/1

By the way Kegsy I like Both Sides

I gave them a copy of that record. They rescheduled the interview to some time in October. I give anyone I interview a copy of their record if it's worth less than like $100.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!