Soul King Label

purist

I seem to remember this label first showing up mid to late 80's, can anybody fill in the info, the who, where when & why.

How many releases?

401 Metros                  " Whats wrong with your love/ She's not everybodys girl"

402 Nelson Sanders   " It's real / I hold the key"

403 Doni Burdick        " Candle / Whatcha gonna do "

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi Mark,

Jims was a different take I'm sure , heavier on the brass than the Soul King take.

you are right Lenny - the cut i have is straight from Ron Murphy's tape with no editing - its a bit rawer, with some brass etc.

the one on Soul King is it a bit more edited and polished!!!

see attached pictures, the group were actually the New Metros and it was supposed to come out on Gold Soul

dont have the Metros LP on RCA anymore, so cant compare the faces etc, and cant remember what Ron Murphy told me about the group - probably one in the same though

you will see from the scan, Ron wrote on the label "Gold Soul 1028" - i cant remember if this was the recording session number or if it was to be the label release number

Still sounds good though and was actually just playing it today

as to the year the Soul King pressings came out - unsure about this, but from memory it was a couple of years after i got the acetate, which was around 1988 i think!!! - memory isnt too good i'm afraid

best

jim

post-28492-0-24446800-1377119996_thumb.j

post-28492-0-86734500-1377119998_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you are right Lenny - the cut i have is straight from Ron Murphy's tape with no editing - its a bit rawer, with some brass etc.

the one on Soul King is it a bit more edited and polished!!!

see attached pictures, the group were actually the New Metros and it was supposed to come out on Gold Soul

dont have the Metros LP on RCA anymore, so cant compare the faces etc, and cant remember what Ron Murphy told me about the group - probably one in the same though

you will see from the scan, Ron wrote on the label "Gold Soul 1028" - i cant remember if this was the recording session number or if it was to be the label release number

Still sounds good though and was actually just playing it today

as to the year the Soul King pressings came out - unsure about this, but from memory it was a couple of years after i got the acetate, which was around 1988 i think!!! - memory isnt too good i'm afraid

best

jim

I have the same Photo  which Alfred Mitchell  gave me on the night Percy passed away  along with some other pubilcty photos and some newspaper clippings  on  the group ..   Anyone got The Doni  Track for sale  ?  

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

I have the same Photo  which Alfred Mitchell  gave me on the night Percy passed away  along with some other pubilcty photos and some newspaper clippings  on  the group ..   Anyone got The Doni  Track for sale  ?  

I've got one. And Metros I think.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert