Ian Levines Top 40

Chatty

Guest scottie

i find it hard to knock something that im sure was done with all the right intentions of giving something back, whether i like it or not and what it gave to the artistes themselves is probably of more importance.regardless of quality i`d say it was great to just put a face to some names.

Social source share

They look much better without the spinning effects Chris, in fact seeing the videos again sends a shiver down my spine with some of them, just to see those artistes doing those songs! It would have been a dream job for me to have filmed all those guys. :thumbsup:

Was for me :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

OMG. When I read that I thought what a load of bollox, it's not 24 years old, so I went and checked. Yes, it is 24 years old..released in 1989. Where on earth have those years gone ???????????????????????????

you old git dave rimmer

chris fletcher

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Surprised he didn't put James Wells - Baby I'm still the same man, in there. In fact wonder what the top 40 is based on, Ian's choice, records sold ????

1 - Tahira Jumah - Reaching For The Best

2 - Evelyn Thomas - Weak Spot

3 - L.J. Johnson - Your Magic Put A Spell On Me

4 - Barbara Pennington - Twenty Four Hours A Day

5 - Miquel Brown - So Many Men So Little Time

6 - Evelyn Thomas - High Energy

7 - Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me

8 - Chuck Jackson - All Over The World

9 - The Four Vandals - The Wrong Side Of Town

10 - Venicia Wilson - This Time I'm Loving You

11 - Barbara Pennington - On A Crowded Street

12 - Miquel Brown - Close To Perfection

13 - Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground

14 - Voices With Soul - Like A Lady

15 - C.P. Spencer - This Man Needs You

16 - Nat Augustin - Love Is My Sanctuary

17 - Angelo Starr - Stand On My Own Two Feet

18 - Frankie Gaye - My Brother

19 - Tahira Jumah - Waterfalls

20 - Kitty Corbin - Witchcraft

21 - Pat Lewis - See You When I Get There

22 - Ronnie Mcneir - Lucky Number

23 - Fay Jones - You Threw A Lucky Punch

24 - Ronnie Walker - I Will Follow You

25 - Peter Lamarr - Under Lock And Key

26 - Barbara Pennington - Fan The Flame

27 - The Fantations - Tick Tock

28 - Tahira Jumah - I Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore

29 - The Four Vandals - Big Strong Love In My Heart

30 - Gina Foster - Mistaking My Kindness

31 - Eddie Holman - Whatever Happened To Our Melody

32 - Elgins - Don't Wait Around

33 - Pat Lewis - One Foot Before The Other

34 - Holly Harrison - Bright Lights Of The City

35 - Ronnie Walker - Making It Easy

36 - Nat Augustin - Uplifting

37 - Laverta Lewis - Better Times Ahead

38 - Four Vandals - Without The Music

39 - Peter Lamarr And Gina Foster - Miracles

40 - Vanessa Haynes - Reflections In A Broken Mirror

" i had a hand in" most of the above records dont count on the scene

not the real levine, who undoubtably has taste, but disgards it in favour of "COWELL" disease

when he sold up in the eighties most of the stuff i pulled out was his fav so take this with a pinch of salt and look towards true dedication

TASTE

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

He didn't have the budget.  After the money ran out, they found more artists but just hadn't got the money to do anything more than fly people to them and film them on a video camera.  If we didn't have that, we'd have absolutely no footage of those people whatsoever.  And many of them were filmed around their neighbourhoods.  Have you watched the whole film?

fair comment

Social source share

" i had a hand in" most of the above records dont count on the scene

not the real levine, who undoubtably has taste, but disgards it in favour of "COWELL" disease

when he sold up in the eighties most of the stuff i pulled out was his fav so take this with a pinch of salt and look towards true dedication

TASTE

Not being thick, but I need an interpreter for this post. No comprendo.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Not being thick, but I need an interpreter for this post. No comprendo.

sorry mate in a rush -it means that his top whatever are based on his own musical output and not the records he has played/owned/heard

he is biased to the point of being sickening- his " taste" however must remain intact within his Soul becauase of the records he has championed over the years, none of us can deny that - the schizophrenia effect is based totaly on fame and fortune-- but hardly true in our/my sense of what it means to love this music. His output is largely NOT Rare Soul, and in my opinion does nothing to promote rare soul - paradox?

Social source share

Perhaps he has chosen a top 40 of his own productions - as in a top 40 of Ian levine productions rather than a top 40 of general Soul productions. That's how I would interpret it.

And as others have said fair play to him for SWONS it was much appreciated in this household.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

sorry mate in a rush -it means that his top whatever are based on his own musical output and not the records he has played/owned/heard

he is biased to the point of being sickening- his " taste" however must remain intact within his Soul becauase of the records he has championed over the years, none of us can deny that - the schizophrenia effect is based totaly on fame and fortune-- but hardly true in our/my sense of what it means to love this music. His output is largely NOT Rare Soul, and in my opinion does nothing to promote rare soul - paradox?

But I thought the whole point about the top 40 was that they are are records he's had a hand in.

Not a top 40 of his own favourites that he's discovered/played at all.

So on that basis the bias is, I guess, to be expected isnt it?

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

But I thought the whole point about the top 40 was that they are are records he's had a hand in.

Not a top 40 of his own favourites that he's discovered/played at all.

So on that basis the bias is, I guess, to be expected isnt it?

sorry friends  miss understood the thread- thought it was deffinitive

Social source share

Not really sure I understand this :(  the complaint is that instead of making a top 40 of records he's owned, discovered or likes, he listed things he'd been involved in ?

The rat..........................

Edited by Chris L
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Perhaps he has chosen a top 40 of his own productions - as in a top 40 of Ian levine productions rather than a top 40 of general Soul productions. That's how I would interpret it.

And as others have said fair play to him for SWONS it was much appreciated in this household.

He did - he explained that on the youtube page - nothing to do with his personal favourite soul records, just his own ones that had videos - thats why number 1 is not by the Exciters but the only artist filmed doing the song

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Feeling a bit humbled now. Tracking down and interviewing these artists, was, without doubt, quite a feat, which obviously required a great deal of effort and dedication. Getting them to sing over their tracks, IN MY OPINION, was not a great idea. I tip my hat to the bloke and his associates in any case. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Surprised he didn't put James Wells - Baby I'm still the same man, in there. In fact wonder what the top 40 is based on, Ian's choice, records sold ????

1 - Tahira Jumah - Reaching For The Best

2 - Evelyn Thomas - Weak Spot

3 - L.J. Johnson - Your Magic Put A Spell On Me

4 - Barbara Pennington - Twenty Four Hours A Day

5 - Miquel Brown - So Many Men So Little Time

6 - Evelyn Thomas - High Energy

7 - Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me

8 - Chuck Jackson - All Over The World

9 - The Four Vandals - The Wrong Side Of Town

10 - Venicia Wilson - This Time I'm Loving You

11 - Barbara Pennington - On A Crowded Street

12 - Miquel Brown - Close To Perfection

13 - Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground

14 - Voices With Soul - Like A Lady

15 - C.P. Spencer - This Man Needs You

16 - Nat Augustin - Love Is My Sanctuary

17 - Angelo Starr - Stand On My Own Two Feet

18 - Frankie Gaye - My Brother

19 - Tahira Jumah - Waterfalls

20 - Kitty Corbin - Witchcraft

21 - Pat Lewis - See You When I Get There

22 - Ronnie Mcneir - Lucky Number

23 - Fay Jones - You Threw A Lucky Punch

24 - Ronnie Walker - I Will Follow You

25 - Peter Lamarr - Under Lock And Key

26 - Barbara Pennington - Fan The Flame

27 - The Fantations - Tick Tock

28 - Tahira Jumah - I Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore

29 - The Four Vandals - Big Strong Love In My Heart

30 - Gina Foster - Mistaking My Kindness

31 - Eddie Holman - Whatever Happened To Our Melody

32 - Elgins - Don't Wait Around

33 - Pat Lewis - One Foot Before The Other

34 - Holly Harrison - Bright Lights Of The City

35 - Ronnie Walker - Making It Easy

36 - Nat Augustin - Uplifting

37 - Laverta Lewis - Better Times Ahead

38 - Four Vandals - Without The Music

39 - Peter Lamarr And Gina Foster - Miracles

40 - Vanessa Haynes - Reflections In A Broken Mirror

i dont know bugga all about these songs,but did ian levine write and produce all these songs?

Social source share

Can't say for definite but it looks like he either wrote or co-wrote all of them or 99% of them.

the fella has a lot of talent then! ive not listened to these songs,but fair play to him for writing stuff and gettin these soul singers to record them,what a privilage.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!