Ian Levines Top 40

Chatty

Was a very big record on the MS scene from the day it was originally released (over 24 years ago). Still has many fans & can fill the dance floor at events even now.

OMG. When I read that I thought what a load of bollox, it's not 24 years old, so I went and checked. Yes, it is 24 years old..released in 1989. Where on earth have those years gone ???????????????????????????

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Surprised he didn't put James Wells - Baby I'm still the same man, in there. In fact wonder what the top 40 is based on, Ian's choice, records sold ????

1 - Tahira Jumah - Reaching For The Best
2 - Evelyn Thomas - Weak Spot
3 - L.J. Johnson - Your Magic Put A Spell On Me
4 - Barbara Pennington - Twenty Four Hours A Day
5 - Miquel Brown - So Many Men So Little Time
6 - Evelyn Thomas - High Energy
7 - Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me
8 - Chuck Jackson - All Over The World
9 - The Four Vandals - The Wrong Side Of Town
10 - Venicia Wilson - This Time I'm Loving You
11 - Barbara Pennington - On A Crowded Street
12 - Miquel Brown - Close To Perfection
13 - Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground
14 - Voices With Soul - Like A Lady
15 - C.P. Spencer - This Man Needs You
16 - Nat Augustin - Love Is My Sanctuary
17 - Angelo Starr - Stand On My Own Two Feet
18 - Frankie Gaye - My Brother
19 - Tahira Jumah - Waterfalls
20 - Kitty Corbin - Witchcraft
21 - Pat Lewis - See You When I Get There
22 - Ronnie Mcneir - Lucky Number
23 - Fay Jones - You Threw A Lucky Punch
24 - Ronnie Walker - I Will Follow You
25 - Peter Lamarr - Under Lock And Key
26 - Barbara Pennington - Fan The Flame
27 - The Fantations - Tick Tock
28 - Tahira Jumah - I Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore
29 - The Four Vandals - Big Strong Love In My Heart
30 - Gina Foster - Mistaking My Kindness
31 - Eddie Holman - Whatever Happened To Our Melody
32 - Elgins - Don't Wait Around
33 - Pat Lewis - One Foot Before The Other
34 - Holly Harrison - Bright Lights Of The City
35 - Ronnie Walker - Making It Easy
36 - Nat Augustin - Uplifting
37 - Laverta Lewis - Better Times Ahead
38 - Four Vandals - Without The Music
39 - Peter Lamarr And Gina Foster - Miracles
40 - Vanessa Haynes - Reflections In A Broken Mirror

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chuck Jackson on a yacht with supermodels off Skeggy beach? Maybe not. Didn't know the circumstances of them, just find them bad to watch. :)

I know he had this problem with SWONS - like Bobby Sheen, Chris Lalor says he had to film that in Bobby's run down house in Compton and there was damp everywhere and the place was a tip, so they had to employ these special effects people to try and put a psychedelic background on there just to hide the real backdrop.  Consequently the movie got tore apart (by the likes of me) for employing all these cheesy effects, but at the time I had no idea why they'd done them.  But I suppose if you've just got a bloke in a studio miming to a song, there's not that much you can do really.

Social source share

Consequently the movie got tore apart (by the likes of me) for employing all these cheesy effects, but at the time I had no idea why they'd done them.  But I suppose if you've just got a bloke in a studio miming to a song, there's not that much you can do really.

That's exactly it. To me who doesn't know, it just looks tacky. It kinda makes me think, what was the point of doing them? I'm not one of those Ian Levine knockers. I guess he had his motives, either personal, or for the scene in general.   

Social source share

I keep thinking how much better these would sound minus the drum machines and fake synths.

The special effects in the videos are the visual equivalent to the drum machines and parping synths. No need for them at all. I don't care what the run down apartment was like, with a bit of taste and style and some minimum lighting and a decent editor you could make a much classier video. I suspect Ian decided to control the look of the video himself and fell into the wedding videographers trap of over use of the 'starburst' filter and the Top of the pops buttons and nobody daring to quell his enthusiasm for this by saying that they were utterly naff and cheesy. It's a shame that Ian didn't take the artistes out around the neighbourhood with a decent cameraman.

Social source share

Jordi, If you went out on the streets of Compton with a decent Camera and cameraman you'd either be mugged or shot within five minutes flat I reckon :lol:

He could have done it in the back of a cab. Point is that even if he'd stayed in the apartment a much classier end result could have been achieved without resorting to the effects buttons.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...ignorance is bliss....I can confirm!!!x Read on.....

When beginning DJing on the Northern scene circa '93....I knew nowt....apart from 100 records put on tape in '75. Weakspot...LJ Johnson etc were all on there! Now...in '93 I began gathering knowledge.....learnt about the 'disco' era...and the 'quality' 70's. However....it seems someone didn't educate me on the 80's...!!!! I got a copy of Chuck Jackson's 'All Over The World' after hearing it at Kings Lynn/Boston Soul Nights. I also think it was played at Wellingboro regularly in the 90's. Rammed wherever......so I took it with me on me A/N travels....and had the same success with it among me 'I'm So Happy' and 'Let's Spend Some Time Together' section! That was until 2000. It wasn't until 5 minutes ago that I read the above thread and realised it's year....and who was behind it...........!!!!! I recall someone saying it was a Levine tune......which mentally i'd put in the 70's era and an all time classic then along with Weakspot and LJ....init!!!! As said....ignorance is bliss.....but on this occasion....i'm glad any pre-judging etc wasn't applied....pure innocence and folk danced.....irrelevant of who or when...or where....! Happy days...no nightmare for me.....!x

090420112454_zps352197c5.jpg

Now...like others say above....the man has had involvement with folk many of us would have loved to have had the chance to meet.....I 'respect' his ability to have achieved those things...X Musically....as i've been involved in making tunes....then yep.....he's got it right and in the groove.....Weakspot...LJ and Chuck remain firmly in my collection today.....they reflect my childhood dancing in me bedroom and innocence as a DJ which packed floors Nationwide with some of his music....and am grateful to Ian for the experience and 'happenings'...X But...we are all good at some things....and better at other stuff....I have promoted Ian's better stuff.....here is his innocence in other matters.........and claims 10 years ago of his film making attributes........!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvM1Xup37MU

...my opinion....?.....as a film maker of over 100 docs n stuff.........yep...he coulda done better in the presentation of his tunes I s'pose...given any ciircumstance........but music....not Politics...is definately his game....I reckon....!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Edit....upon reflection....I wouldn't care how he presented it....but personally....I would have rather interviewed him for an hour on his life and Dr Who.....and I would have listened and respected every word he had to say about it.....! Yep...he interests me more for that part of his life than Northern....! I like Star Trek too....!x

@@
~

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

The Utube version above is definately not as 'beefy' or succinct as the vinyl copy I have as featured above Sunnysoul...X It appears to be a discofied version of the 'original'. Possibly 're-mastered'? I rate the vinyl copy as high as carrying it among around 15/20 70's that would ram any floor Nationwide and would happily dive for in an emergency...knowing it would pack a floor no probs! A 'quality' Chuck Jackson 'modern' tune...and muically bang on for that genre...I reckon...X

LUV
SOOTY
X

...found it....this is what I played....note for note...!x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcByD5rm89M

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Surprised he didn't put James Wells - Baby I'm still the same man, in there. In fact wonder what the top 40 is based on, Ian's choice, records sold ????

7 - Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me

8 - Chuck Jackson - All Over The World

10 - Venicia Wilson - This Time I'm Loving You

13 - Sidney Barnes - Standing On Solid Ground

22 - Ronnie Mcneir - Lucky Number

All pretty decent tunes, I think the Frances Nero made it fairly big in the UK charts. I fell totally and completely in love with the blonde girl dancing on the open top bus :yes:

Social source share

No need for them at all. I don't care what the run down apartment was like, with a bit of taste and style and some minimum lighting and a decent editor you could make a much classier video. I suspect Ian decided to control the look of the video himself and fell into the wedding videographers trap of over use of the 'starburst' filter and the Top of the pops buttons and nobody daring to quell his enthusiasm for this by saying that they were utterly naff and cheesy. It's a shame that Ian didn't take the artistes out around the neighbourhood with a decent cameraman.

He didn't have the budget.  After the money ran out, they found more artists but just hadn't got the money to do anything more than fly people to them and film them on a video camera.  If we didn't have that, we'd have absolutely no footage of those people whatsoever.  And many of them were filmed around their neighbourhoods.  Have you watched the whole film?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

He didn't have the budget.  After the money ran out, they found more artists but just hadn't got the money to do anything more than fly people to them and film them on a video camera.  If we didn't have that, we'd have absolutely no footage of those people whatsoever.  And many of them were filmed around their neighbourhoods.  Have you watched the whole film?

I did watch it all Pete, only once because I couldn't bear the effects and the assault on my senses. I appreciate that there was no budget, unfortunately there was also no-one there who knew how to make films using no budget or resources and I just think it's a shame that these artistes were not given a classier treatment on film/video. Good ideas, use of light, good framing, different shot sizes ie. close ups, wide shots etc, knowing how to cut visuals creatively, all these things don't cost anything but you need someone who can do it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The special effects in the videos are the visual equivalent to the drum machines and parping synths. No need for them at all. I don't care what the run down apartment was like, with a bit of taste and style and some minimum lighting and a decent editor you could make a much classier video. I suspect Ian decided to control the look of the video himself and fell into the wedding videographers trap of over use of the 'starburst' filter and the Top of the pops buttons and nobody daring to quell his enthusiasm for this by saying that they were utterly naff and cheesy. It's a shame that Ian didn't take the artistes out around the neighbourhood with a decent cameraman.

I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about.

Social source share

I did watch it all Pete, only once because I couldn't bear the effects and the assault on my senses. I appreciate that there was no budget, unfortunately there was also no-one there who knew how to make films using no budget or resources and I just think it's a shame that these artistes were not given a classier treatment on film/video. Good ideas, use of light, good framing, different shot sizes ie. close ups, wide shots etc, knowing how to cut visuals creatively, all these things don't cost anything but you need someone who can do it.

Someone who would have added thousands more dollars onto the budget!

Social source share

Jordi,

Many of these acts are now dead. it's all very well questioning the quality of the video production, but in many cases these are the only shots we have of the artists concerned. The vid was made over 10 years ago can't believe we're debating it now. It's a bit like saying "I wish they'd done a better job with Top of the Pops".....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think what Jordirip is trying to say Pete is that 'the lurrve'...or 'soul' isn't in there as such in the presentation!x DJ's DJ without showing any soul too I have witnessed....but it don;t mean they ain't got any as the floor tell no lies...and i've danced merrily for hours to some of the most perceived miserablist!!!hehe!x We all show it through different things.....Ian has done it with his understanding of 'Northern'...and done it well on record. Visuals....is another 'love'...and passion...which I think me and Jordrip touch base on! I've made around 40 music vids....2 of my lads are now touring with album topper groups making their vids as an independent outfit.....so am proud of what we have achieved over time. But...it has been successful because we 'feel it'...and 'see it'....not everyone does....I find...as does Jordrip...I gather...X

@@
~

LUV
SOOTY
X

I collect film up to 100 years old....and learn from it all. I think stuff can be debated in context without it getting personal! My comment is based on an approach to film....not content! Any capture of our history and culture is important....irrelevant of ts presentation....ultimately...X 

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Guest soulchasers

my favourite of the Levine productions i've heard is GC'Camerons 'No need to explain', as good as any indie production of the era...

Social source share

Been talking to Ian  about this ....   

"My You-Tube page is managed by my publishers now - not me personally. They wanted a Levine Top 40 of videos.

There is no video of James Wells doing either "Baby I'm Still The Same Man" or "My Claim To Fame".

If you notice, the only top 40 entries are song where there is an ACTUAL video of the artists.

As for the crappy effects, I hated them as much myself. Which is why we eventually redid them ALL, and put them out as a box set of 200 videos all redone and improved and fixed up.

"Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers"

Most of the stock sadly got destroyed when the London riots burned down Sony's warehouse in Enfield, but I think a few survive.

Here is the link....

https://www.wienerworld.com/northern-soul-s-200-greatest-floorfillers-5-disc-box-set.html

Social source share

Jordi,

Many of these acts are now dead. it's all very well questioning the quality of the video production, but in many cases these are the only shots we have of the artists concerned. The vid was made over 10 years ago can't believe we're debating it now. It's a bit like saying "I wish they'd done a better job with Top of the Pops".....

Yes I agree Steve, I only entered the thread because people straight away started talking about the poor quality of the videos and Pete said that should be expected as there was no budget and that was the point I was debating. I know it's all old news and these comments have all been made before and yes it's better to have some footage of these artistes than none at all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it would be great to travel back in time and make sure that part of the budget for the whole film package (SWONS) would include a half decent film maker. Think I'll stay off this topic now.

Social source share

I'm afraid you don't know what you're talking about.

Which part? As a cameraman and editor for the last 25+ years and having shot various pop videos for people like Ocean Colour Scene, Bitty McClean and UB40 and travelled in South Africa working on the feature film of their world tour in '94 (I think) for UB40 as well as programmes for TV including  documentaries about Jamaican Soundsystems and British rap music. I think I have something valid to say about whether the quality of a music video is only determined by the budget or whether creative input can count towards the end product.

So what do you know then Chris that makes my contributions so worthless?

Social source share

Which part? As a cameraman and editor for the last 25+ years and having shot various pop videos for people like Ocean Colour Scene, Bitty McClean and UB40 and travelled in South Africa working on the feature film of their world tour in '94 (I think) for UB40 as well as programmes for TV including  documentaries about Jamaican Soundsystems and British rap music. I think I have something valid to say about whether the quality of a music video is only determined by the budget or whether creative input can count towards the end product.

So what do you know then Chris that makes my contributions so worthless?

I'll answer for him as he might be having his tea.

Ian gave him (Chris) a few dollars and a hand held camera and said go and find these people and film them.

That was his budget, enough for hotel, taxi, food.

I doubt if I could have done any better filming in a hovel with a hand held video camera.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Pete, I really don't care what anybody says about these tracks and clips. They were done in true Northern Soul fashion, people on the ground, soul fans, people who danced to them and collected their records. Some of the singers like Ronnie Walker and Alfie Davision were really down on their financial chin straps, the exposure they got made it possible to get some recognition and a few gigs, for that alone Ian stands in the Northern Soul Hall of Fame. :thumbsup:

Spot on ..!

Social source share

When there's no money you do what you can and with what you have. Besides watch this, as proof we removed the cheesy effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=4G5esoHzYgk&hl=en-GB

They look much better without the spinning effects Chris, in fact seeing the videos again sends a shiver down my spine with some of them, just to see those artistes doing those songs! It would have been a dream job for me to have filmed all those guys. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

From Ian - all passed away since the film was made

BOBBY PARIS

DOBIE GRAY

FRANK WILSON

ERMA FRANKLIN

FREDDY BUTLER

EMANUEL LASKY

ALL THREE OF THE TEMPOS

TWO OF THE CARSTAIRS

EDWIN STARR

TOMMY RIDGLEY

OTIS LEAVILL

TWO OF THE DELLS

LITTLE ANN

BOBBY SHEEN

HERB WARD

BOBBY HEBB

JACKIE DAY

MARY LOVE

EARL VAN DYKE

SAM WARD

RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE

WILLIE HUTCH

JAMES FOUNTAIN

JOE STUBBS

SAUNDRA EDWARDS

DORIS TROY

RON BANKS OF THE DRAMATICS

CAROL OF THE SAPPHIRES

THREE OF THE ORIGINALS

TWO OF THE ROYAL JOKERS

MOST OF THE OLYMPICS INCLUDING WALTER ON LEAD

GEORGE LEAD SINGER OF THE TYMES

RAY POLLARD

ALL THE FOUR LARKS

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Been talking to Ian  about this ....   

"My You-Tube page is managed by my publishers now - not me personally. They wanted a Levine Top 40 of videos.

There is no video of James Wells doing either "Baby I'm Still The Same Man" or "My Claim To Fame".

If you notice, the only top 40 entries are song where there is an ACTUAL video of the artists.

As for the crappy effects, I hated them as much myself. Which is why we eventually redid them ALL, and put them out as a box set of 200 videos all redone and improved and fixed up.

"Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers"

Most of the stock sadly got destroyed when the London riots burned down Sony's warehouse in Enfield, but I think a few survive.

Here is the link....

https://www.wienerworld.com/northern-soul-s-200-greatest-floorfillers-5-disc-box-set.html

Enough of them seem to have survived for Amazon to have it available for £15.89

Social source share

in time, we will all come to realize the inevitable, it's caught up with many of our hero's and today & tomorrow, the march is relentless...thus any documented evidence of these lost prophets is so precious for the archive....for his enduring effort, we have to credit ian...to what end is all the petty squabbling?, debate is a democratic right and just.. i personally think we spend far too much of our now short time on this earth, in an interminable spiral of tarnishing images...so when ian's gone, will he still be criticized?? probably.....is it too much even, to say he deserves his due, for the way he steered the scene, almost from it's inception?....and what of a documentary about HIS life?......would that not escape prejudice either?., the very fact that he trawled the states to find these people, for most, would be too exhaustive to contemplate, yet it's so easy to ridicule the resultant product of his voyage of discovery...and for heaven's sake...15 years on and the grudges & gripes still fester?....isn't it time to get what's left of your lives, put the warring to bed and love the scene because without the likes of ian levine, it wouldn't be half of what it is today.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!