Mid Tempo, Will It Ever Return?

Simsy

Guest gaz thomas

I suppose it depends where you go still to an extent, but these days if you hear a half dozen mid tempo numbers all night, you're doing well.

So what happened to this wonderful genre that played such a big part at Stafford and the 100 Club in earlier years? And of course, would folk like to hear more of that sort of thing again these days?

i am a bit weird

i love obscure rnb, which eventually gets popular apparently, but i also appreciate the classics, and realise there is a whole world of rnb out there

i love the big boogaloo tunes that have been accepted on the northern scene, but realise that  there is a whole world of boogaloo out there.

same goes for all vintage music, dig deeper

the big city new york 60s productions are amongst my favs

The northern soul by numbers djs will always play "the drifter"

I think a bit of imagination could be added

there are fantastic uptown 45s out there to collect

will this genre of music become popular again on your scene

I could not give a shit,

i never stopped loving it in the first place

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Of course! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! - always reminds me of Ion this..........I 'did a Moses' at a local Soul Night a few years back with this - I tried to 'skilfully' splice it in, but 'parted the seas'! :D.....Then lies the question of should I have played it of course - I think so, or some would never get to hear such lovely stuff (I 'pulled it all back' ok)

Len :thumbsup: 

At the risk of people attacking me for not knowing this

A great 45 that  I will get, weather its a fiver or 500

love it

thanks

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

If you are running a soul night, i.e. 8 till 2 then you can get away with more slow tempo mellow sounds because most people there will be drinking alcohol, and that makes people mellow. Especially towards the end of the night.

If it's an allnighter, then most will be on gear and you've no chance of getting away with anything less than mid tempo. And not many of those.

Anyone trying it when I ran Burnley would soon be visited on stage and would hear the immortal words " if you don't pick it up we're f***ing off" no names shall be mentioned, you know who you are.  :lol:

we never used to complain in the 80s

i dont remember the old boys complaining

it must be part of the scene now

we used to be happy listening to and dancing to vintage tunes, newies, oldies, rnb, early 70s, boogaloo, bloody everything

perhaps that's why i just collect now

what happened ?

again, it depends on what yo were playing

if you were shit, then you need some shiit

but somehow in your case  i dont think so

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Hi Dekka see you on Saturday at York, best stay away then when I'm on in the 2nd room........

Hi Barry, be good to see you mate, Kev knows me too well methinks, he knows i'm always on a wind up,

I agree with Phil though, Everything in it's rightfull place, across the board soul nights then yes mix it all up

but allnighters, bloody hell NO,NO,NO and especially NOT as someone as indicated at 4 in the morning.

So in essence mid tempo - down tempo has it's place in the right place and at the right time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Barry, be good to see you mate, Kev knows me too well methinks, he knows i'm always on a wind up, I agree with Phil though, Everything in it's rightfull place, across the board soul nights then yes mix it all up but allnighters, bloody hell NO,NO,NO and especially NOT as someone as indicated at 4 in the morning. So in essence mid tempo - down tempo has it's place in the right place and at the right time.

I though we were talking mid tempo though? Plenty of mid tempo dancers played at every all-nighter at all hours including the likes of Burnley after 4am and including when Phil ran it. I can remember the likes of Lonette and Blue Jeans etc being played and it filled the floor.

I do agree the dance floor is king but there is no need to discard a whole style of music simply for the sake of it. Plenty of dancers that aren't up tempo 100 mile an hour stompers.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep totally agree Chalky

I guess I was referring to the beat ballads down tempo stuff that's been posted on this thread, I don't think there is any place for them. Ok for your own home or if that kind of music is advertised for the night. Then people like me know to stay away.

Mid to Uptempo, and not particularly 100mph stompers (hope that's clear, i'm getting confused myself now) stuff is what I think goes down well at soul nights and Nighters alike.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Regardless of the occasion, nighter, soul night, sunday dayer, walking down't street, sat in the bath, off me tits or not, whatever, I like to listen to soul across a varying range of tempos. In fact, tempo is not something I ever particularly consider when buying and enjoying records... it seems that often emphasis is placed on tempo above soulful content - good dancers can and do dance to midtempo and even the odd beat ballad, and thankfully there are discerning nighter events that do accomodate the whole musical range ***edit*** but more midtempo please... So in answer to the question, will it return? Absolutely, that's if it ever actually went away...

I'd be happy to hear this midtempo crossover gem any time, any place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tLnZA9GYf8

Enjoyed your post Jim, and agree with ya all the way. Your Earles and Voltaires posts are right up my alley for both listening and shuffling about pleasure.

I think we're singing from the same soulful songsheet mate  

:thumbsup:

Social source share

'Kin hell nearly forgot this classic.Oldie from BITD - the dog's midtempo.!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7quUpbXHno

I took this record onto my younger cousins place who had been banging on about his house music that he was a dj on the house scene locally anyway I told him you don't need music to be uptempo all the time etc at his place he had his dj gear set up and told me most house music was 126bpm so image my surprise when he put Darrell Banks on decks with bpm counter .......it came out at 126bpm

great record

Dave L

Edited by lfcjunkie
Social source share

This thread has gone to pot, it's obvious that midtempo records dominate the Northern Soul scene including allnighters so the question should be "will 100 MPH dancers ever return", Fascinators, Johnny Gilliam etc, they've been perfect allnighter records for 30 years so why are they suddenly not perfect?  Not saying they should return (100 mph dancers) - but they must be outnumbered 10 to 1 by classy midtempo's, and I don't mean beat ballads.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

This thread has gone to pot, it's obvious that midtempo records dominate the Northern Soul scene including allnighters so the question should be "will 100 MPH dancers ever return", Fascinators, Johnny Gilliam etc, they've been perfect allnighter records for 30 years so why are they suddenly not perfect?  Not saying they should - but they must be outnumbered 10 to 1 by classy midtempo's, and I don't mean beat ballads.

I still say that the emphasis is on up tempo at nighters at least and this thread should highlight the fact that it's okay to play more mid tempo, hey and beat ballads!

• Helpful 1
Social source share