Mid Tempo, Will It Ever Return?

Simsy

Guest Dave Turner

At home I've mostly got me soul ears on listening to Deep & Ballads

Mid-tempo for me when I'm out though and probably giving it the odd shuffle.

F**k me, this is virtually a stomper compared to what I'm mostly listening to   :lol:

Social source share

F**k me, this is virtually a stomper compared to what I'm mostly listening to   :lol:

class Dave..

Social source share

Bernard Drake "I've been untrue" went down well at the 100 Club on Saturday. Surprised me how many were dancing.....but generally Niters do need to keep the tempo up. 

I agree with this, some people seem to think some of us would want a whole night of Mid-tempo - of course not! If it's played correctly (spliced in right) it can add something to a night, and it can be done at 4.00am......and no one would notice! :D 

Len :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, that's absolutely fecking awesome soul music Dave.

Pickd up on that from a playlist.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree with this, some people seem to think some of us would want a whole night of Mid-tempo - of course not! If it's played correctly (spliced in right) it can add something to a night, and it can be done at 4.00am......and no one would notice! :D 

Terry would notice....his metronome would immediately flash up a meter reading of less that 150 bpm :lol:

PS: Wasn't Johnny Gilliam the Velvellettes manager too? All his records are pretty good.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Terry would notice....his metronome would immediately flash up a meter reading of less that 150 bpm :lol:

Who? :D.....You're right of course :wink:.......In saying this Terry ain't stupid - he's actually a regular at 'The Den' (well he's been twice!) and says so himself, that he likes some of the stuff played in their - Terry's main point is that nighters NEED to be 'kept going', and I agree with this heartily - But, as I said Mid-tempo doesn't need to kill a night, it's just got to be played when right for 'the moment'

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I ain't got through this thread yet, but one point I'd like to make - is that I (and others that like Mid-tempo Soul ) also do like to dance, and wouldn't play a tune 'out' if dancing to it was like 'walking through treacle'. Another thing that gets said to me  quite often is "The thing is Len, I like to dance"......I feel like saying "Oh really? Sorry - you should have said"....Jeese.....(They wouldn't get my irony)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Despite what some think, mid tempo is played at virtually every venue. As Bazza said, some can't distinguish between beat ballads and mid tempo. Beat ballads however do seem to be a forgotten genre.

I think at a lot of nighters at least, the emphasis is too much towards up tempo. Nothing against uptempo, but some more mid tempo magic, underplayed stuff and the beat ballads you speak of.

You would think the more hours to fill at a nighter would allow less uptempo stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOqCxEIPBCY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm slightly confused here I thought mid tempo tunes had always been around from the early days with things like Gene Chandler - Nothing can stop me , Brooks & Jerry I got what it takes , Willie Tee Walking up a one way street and moving on to stuff like Nolan Chance Just like the Weather and later things like Eloise Laws Love Factory , Bobby Hutton Lend a Hand and loads more.

Even a lot of the "bad "records played over the years were mid tempo Barbara Mills , Carmel Strings , Peggy March etc

Some great Soulful records posted on this thread by the way.

Exactly! Strange ain't it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm being allowed out on Friday and so am planning to play these two which I hope fit the bill as regards mid-tempo.

If they turn out to be beat ballads I'm playing 'em anyway  :D 

Cheers

Richard

They're 'Crossover Mid-Tempo' mate......confused? - You will be! :D 

Great sounds btw :wink:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I think at a lot of nighters at least, the emphasis is too much towards up tempo. Nothing against uptempo, but some more mid tempo magic, underplayed stuff and the beat ballads you speak of.

You would think the more hours to fill at a nighter would allow less uptempo stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOqCxEIPBCY

Hi K  :D

Great record - love it - you have taste

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Loads of Mid tempo played at RnB123 in London

We use the term RnB as it was used in the sixties for Black American Dance music

Things like this

Social source share

Mid-Tempo v Beat Ballard is the question imho.

Mid tempo can be, should be and generally is still played at every venue on any given weekend, there are a vast amount of quality good mid tempo "dance" tunes around but ffs!! don't get me started on fucking beat ballad shittttte. IT'S a dance scene!! and whilst i may appreciate other peoples ideas on whether or not Sam Fletcher / Troy Dodds / Wade Kin' Flemmons "Other Place" are good northern tunes,i will never agree or understand this opinion, i have always and always will believe they have no place being played at 02:00am on a Sun morning at ANY venue. Absolutely fine and dandy on the way home in your car or whilst pottering about doing the ironing.

My tin hat is on as i also know that the view i hold today not seen as very forward thinking, i'm not forward thinking.

dazz

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Love mid tempo and defo a place for it on the scene just needs to be mixed in right, more at soul nights than nighters I would say

Social source share

Mid tempo can be, should be and generally is still played at every venue on any given weekend, there are a vast amount of quality good mid tempo "dance" tunes around but ffs!! don't get me started on fucking beat ballad shittttte. IT'S a dance scene!! and whilst i may appreciate other peoples ideas on whether or not Sam Fletcher / Troy Dodds / Wade Kin' Flemmons "Other Place" are good northern tunes,i will never agree or understand this opinion, i have always and always will believe they have no place being played at 02:00am on a Sun morning at ANY venue. Absolutely fine and dandy on the way home in your car or whilst pottering about doing the ironing.

My tin hat is on as i also know that the view i hold today not seen as very forward thinking, i'm not forward thinking.

dazz

No 'Tin Hat' needed as far as I'm concerned mate. You're right, it is a dance scene, and this is where the 'line' gets blurred, I play records that I would dance to - It ain't Rocket Science.......but I would dance to some of the ones you mentioned :D

Edited by LEN
Social source share

doing the ironing.

dazz

Fcuk me Dazz - you are way ahead of your time matey. Doing the fecking ironing? Go stick a beat ballad on and put yer feet up old lad.

Peter

:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As played at the 100 club saturday to a packed Dancefloor

I may be wrong here (I can be! lol) I would say this would work well at The 100 Club, but not so well at some other nighters - Maybe because of the mod influence? I like the tune, and that's probably because of my own 'history'.

All the best,

Social source share

Troy Dodds and Sam Fletcher are Dancefloor Bombs

Will the fill the floor every time BUT everyone to their own taste

Al H

I know they were bitd, i had to endure them at every nighter i went, got right on my tits, but each to their own and all the power to em'.........still dont get it though.

dazz

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Steve G played this at the 100 club on saturday night

now if he followed it with the C.O.DS id be in stompy heaven

just like in the 80s

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

need to get your selves down to

DENTON INDEPENDENT CLUB

MIDTEMPO--BEAT BALLADS DELIGHT

CODY BLACK--SANDY GOLDEN --RONNIE WEST--GWEN OWENS--CAROL WOODS

JOHNNY GILLIAM--DEBONAIRS--AND MORE  ALL O.V.O

Edited by sid jones
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I may be wrong here (I can be! lol) I would say this would work well at The 100 Club, but not so well at some other nighters - Maybe because of the mod influence? I like the tune, and that's probably because of my own 'history'.

All the best,

Stewart Ames - King For A Day (J&W)

What about the other side 'Angelina' - is that a dancefloor reviver these days or a dancefloor killer?  :g:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Stewart Ames - King For A Day (J&W)

What about the other side 'Angelina' - is that a dancefloor reviver these days or a dancefloor killer?  :g:

Cheers

Richard

That is a record that is 'ripe' for reactivation - Great tune :thumbsup:

.......but what do I know? You really shouldn't refer to me if you have 'dancefloor reviver' in your question - I'm the man that put 'Empty dance floors rule ok' on a flyer - It upset a few people, they thought I meant it literally! :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I'm with Dazdakin..I remember whole sets of midtempo in the 90s.At around 3 or 4 oclock its just not on..people putting both hands on their heart whilst barely moving.You were happy as a baby child......ddddddd d kept on dancin..I just kept on dancin....don't you need someone..do do do do do do...hey lonely eyes....you're just.plain nice...hey girl your just plain.nice.All should have stayed tapeswappers stuff.I was glad when the born agains came back and the stompers came back....but you've got to he so be careful what you wish for as they won't move past 1981...the odd one but whole sets of it.!!

Social source share

dazz

I think you're right up the point, though calling beat ballads shite is madness!  As this thread proved, there are countless brilliant beat ballads - they just have to be used in the right context.  There were very few of these beat ballads played in the 70's apart from the odd one or two which actually ended the night (Gene McDaniels, Ray Pollard, Gerri Granger for example) and thats where they belong, to usher in the end of the night, not to kill off the flow half way through.  Imagine what they'd do to a few hundred people full of gear  :lol:

Social source share

The best of the best - I personally am against substantial amounts of very slow stuff like Romance Watson (I utterly detest that record) being played at nighters as I feel it kills the atmosphere, however there are some that hold their own like Nooney Rickett and Garland Green if played as part of the musical texture of the night. I really love Johnny Gilliam (have had it for many years but it poleaxes me to play it as it's brings me right down) but wouldn't wish to hear it often at a nighter.

That said I find a lot of headbanger stompers rather nasty - in the pop shite sense of the word.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 2
Social source share