Dave Love - Colalined Baby-Solid Soul

Kev John
Go to solution Solved by Dave Thorley,

The bootleg demos have a poor quality look to them. The original WD is stamped but I can not compare them right now having just flown into Chicago from Honolulu - before you ask, not the gold mine for 60's soul some thought it might be - picked up my WD copy off an Ozzie eBay seller about a year ago for a lowish figure and it now sits next to a gold issue. I just love fondling records with gold labels. Roger, your scans are just the best, just what you need when stuck on a Pacific island.... Colalined Baby is just such a class tune and one when the instrumental matches the vocal in quality, usually not the case. Definitely in my top 1,000 tracks and we are talking A* tracks all the way.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Both the demo and issue should have a stamped Bell Sound mark in the run out

Oddly the originals of the issue have Three Soul Music on the label, where as the demo has Four Souls Music. The label was owned by Al Holiday, who lived in Phittsburg and Johnny Worlds from New York. Al has now passed away and Johnny Worlds has disappeared.

Although it is addressed as Phittsburg, I would think that it was recorded in New York, as Robert Banks is credited on arrangements and Johnny did the production. Dave's other recording 'Baby Hard Times' has J.J. Jackson on arrangements, so this leads me to believe that Dave Love was a native of N.Y. and the Phittsburg connection was mainly financial.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• 2 years later...

On 22 August 2013 at 12:08, Dave Thorley said:

Oddly the originals of the issue have Three Soul Music on the label, where as the demo has Four Souls Music. The label was owned by Al Holiday, who lived in Phittsburg and Johnny Worlds from New York. Al has now passed away and Johnny Worlds has disappeared.

Although it is addressed as Phittsburg, I would think that it was recorded in New York, as Robert Banks is credited on arrangements and Johnny did the production. Dave's other recording 'Baby Hard Times' has J.J. Jackson on arrangements, so this leads me to believe that Dave Love was a native of N.Y. and the Phittsburg connection was mainly financial.

I recall in 1979, myself and tim ash, getting a tip off and a lift to an office block in manhattan, which i think was johnny world's company office. There were some 45s for sale and in amongst them was 200 copies of colalined baby. I think we bought a hundred copies, but we knew it wasn't an in demand record, selling at the time for £2 to £3.  When we got them back to the Northern scene , nobody was really interested in buying a copy. Eventually, I think we unloaded most of them with johnny manship and i remember him still having them many years later!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!