Somewhere Somebody Needs You

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

just bought the Darrell Banks version of this on Revilot..

very soulful version i think too

but is it better than ike and tina turners version?

i know theres other trax with the same backing track,,ie lighten up,,go for yourself etc

Agree with Mikey - DB best version IMO

Good link in here too Mark for OTHER VERSIONS./SAME BACKING..many of them lets see if we can list them, start with:-

Barbara Mason - Bobby Is My Baby / Rotations - Put A Dime On D9

Social source share

miles better mark

i think he'd have become one of the all time greats if the fuzz hadn't blown him away

Not often I come to the defence of the cops but Darrell had been knobbing the cop's girlfriend, and the cop was off-duty when he shot him. It wasn't the fuzz plural but a cop singular. I say this accepting that the rest of the Detroit police were too busy shooting other nameless black citizens at the height of the worst police violence in US history.

Great singer great story - wish someone would right his biography.

Social source share

Not often I come to the defence of the cops but Darrell had been knobbing the cop's girlfriend, and the cop was off-duty when he shot him.

As I always understood it, the 'Lady' was Darrell's girlfriend and the off-duty cop was the one doing the surreptitious 'knobbing'.

Of course, whoever was actually doing the 'knobbing' does not alter the fact that Banks was a fine artist, cut down in his prime.

Sean

Social source share

I present my evidence and a nice little 'Bio' of the great man.

https://www.answers.com/topic/darrell-banks

Quote:

The man considered by many as soul's finest voice was shot dead March 1970 in Detroit by Aaron Bullock, an off duty policeman who was seeing Banks' woman (Marjorie Bozeman). He was waiting when Bullock dropped Bozeman off after work; when Banks grabbed her, Bullock intervened, Banks pulled a gun, and the officer reacted with deadly force ending Banks' four turbulent years as a recording artist/entertainer. Bozeman, a barmaid, allegedly was trying to leave Banks, who was divorced and the father of two kids.

So in summary, they both had pistols and I guess they were both doing the 'knobbing'

Sean

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Agree with Mikey - DB best version IMO

Good link in here too Mark for OTHER VERSIONS./SAME BACKING..many of them lets see if we can list them, start with:-

Barbara Mason - Bobby Is My Baby / Rotations - Put A Dime On D9

Next one :lol:

Irma & the Facinations You Need Love / Cooperettes Shing-a-Ling

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I present my evidence and a nice little 'Bio' of the great man.

https://www.answers.com/topic/darrell-banks

Quote:

The man considered by many as soul's finest voice was shot dead March 1970 in Detroit by Aaron Bullock, an off duty policeman who was seeing Banks' woman (Marjorie Bozeman). He was waiting when Bullock dropped Bozeman off after work; when Banks grabbed her, Bullock intervened, Banks pulled a gun, and the officer reacted with deadly force ending Banks' four turbulent years as a recording artist/entertainer. Bozeman, a barmaid, allegedly was trying to leave Banks, who was divorced and the father of two kids.

So in summary, they both had pistols and I guess they were both doing the 'knobbing'

Sean

Donnie Elbert always alleged that Darrell stole "Open The Door To Your Heart" from him, and at least one issue of the song actually does credit Elbert as the writer. Mind you, Donnie was no angel and a lot of what he alleged, during what might be termed a colourful lifetime, can be taken with a bucket of salt...

Even so, one never knows, do one?

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Yes, I've heard this on many occasions, but by all accounts, they wrote the song together, ...which is why some credit Elbert as the writer.

It cost them their friendship, or so I'm lead to believe. At least that's what I'm told ( but I imagine it was because he was probably knobbing his Mrs!)

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

As I always understood it, the 'Lady' was Darrell's girlfriend and the off-duty cop was the one doing the surreptitious 'knobbing'.

Of course, whoever was actually doing the 'knobbing' does not alter the fact that Banks was a fine artist, cut down in his prime.

Sean

yeah think that's right

and bloody hell, dunno what the world of telly's like stuart, i expect lots of groucho club marching powder and endless production meetings, but if everyone who was knobbing someone they shouldn't be in most other areas of life was shot for it :yes::lol::D

are you secretly a tartan taliban? :D

Social source share

Donnie Elbert always alleged that Darrell stole "Open The Door To Your Heart" from him, and at least one issue of the song actually does credit Elbert as the writer. Mind you, Donnie was no angel and a lot of what he alleged, during what might be termed a colourful lifetime, can be taken with a bucket of salt...

Even so, one never knows, do one?

speaking of donnie elbert i love love love this piece of crossovery midtempo soul

Donnie_Elbert___I_Got_To_Get_Myself_Together___Rare_Bullet.mp3

Social source share

Great singer great story - wish someone would right his biography.

serious question: is there much known about him?

Social source share

Donnie Elbert always alleged that Darrell stole "Open The Door To Your Heart" from him, and at least one issue of the song actually does credit Elbert as the writer.

As most people have at some time recorded this classic. To find out what the Donnie Elbert "Original" may have sounded like, then perhaps we can get Joe Pasquale to record a version.

Just a thought, or should I get back to work.

Paul

Social source share

i know theres other trax with the same backing track,,ie lighten up,,go for yourself etc

Which came first who wrote it and Ike And Tina On British Warner Bros by far a more in depth record and IMO a better version

Doug

:yes::lol:

Edited by MAKEMVINYL
Social source share

and bloody hell, dunno what the world of telly's like stuart, i expect lots of groucho club marching powder and endless production meetings, but if everyone who was knobbing someone they shouldn't be in most other areas of life was shot for it :yes::lol::D

are you secretly a tartan taliban? :D

Yes, fair point Dan. I merely wanted to point out that Darrell was not entirely innocent. As a soul forum we are predisposed to side with the soul singer, I just wanted to ensure that the cuckolded cop got his moment too. But as previous posts point out there is evidence that they were both at it. Personally I'm committed to the Frank Gallagher school of morality Shameless.

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

the big DB everytime without question

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes, I've heard this on many occasions, but by all accounts, they wrote the song together, ...which is why some credit Elbert as the writer.

It cost them their friendship, or so I'm lead to believe. At least that's what I'm told ( but I imagine it was because he was probably knobbing his Mrs!)

:yes:

Sean

...Or maybe vice versa - he was a bit of a lad himself, old Donnie, and not ashamed to nick a bit of a song or two in his time (try singing the lyric to "Someday We'll Be Together" over the top of his All Platinum recording of "One Thousand, Nine Hundred And Seventy Years", for instance). The stories I could tell, if he didn't still have some family living in the UK...

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Here's the Herb & Doris version mentioned earlier. Gonna stick this in sales once I get round to knocking a bit of a list up.

post-1918-1149700690.jpg

Thats a great version but I & T ,s version does it for me .Like a previous posting said just seems to have a little more depth to it IMO.

Social source share

Darrell Banks Ike & Tina, Herb & Doris , Larry Laster ... They are all great versions but the ones with the identical West Coast produced backing tracks courtesy of Frank Wilson all give them the nod over Mr Banks's version for danceability :lol: In fact that backing track together with Smokey and the Miracles "Whole Lotta Shaking In My Heart" , also produced by Frank Wilson, are two of the greatest backing tracks in the history of soul ... IMHO :)

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Darrell's version is top for me, but of all the 'other' versions with the same backing track (Lighten Up etc ) Ike & Tina is my favourite.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Darrell's version is top for me, but of all the 'other' versions with the same backing track (Lighten Up etc ) Ike & Tina is my favourite.

I prefer Ike and Tina's version too, it's much cripser and sharper than Darrell Banks which is a bit messy imo. I&K is much more of a dancer's record :)

But if we're talking versions of the backing track, nothing beats Ty Karim, quite simply magic... :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert