Uncommon Early 70's Uk Motown Compilation Album ?

That slipped under my radar for sure. Don't think I've ever seen it although the cover looks familiar. Obviously compiled by a Soul enthusiast but who?

Ian D  :D

Maybe Mike Raven did the sleeve notes? They are similar to STML 1143 Motown Memories Vol 3 another album I don't think I've seen before. Probably compiled by Dave Godin?

72157607764646136https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookephotography/4551638397/lightbox/

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

I believe that it was Gordon Frewin who was the Tamla Motown UK at manager in the early 70s who had access to a lot of the mastertapes before Motown fell a little bit out of the publics interest. Many of the MFP albums which were put together were influenced by Gordon. As most people are aware, some of those LPs had lots of unissued tracks even back then in the early 70s ( It's growing - The Contours for example ). Whether he was totally responsible for this particular one, that I am not sure.

Kev Jones

Social source share

Someone at Motown had their finger on the pulse, can't remember the name of the album but in around 1970-71 they released a compilation album of top dancers including "Six By Six" and the sleeve notes tell us that people travel the country just to hear this track.

Social source share

Someone at Motown had their finger on the pulse, can't remember the name of the album but in around 1970-71 they released a compilation album of top dancers including "Six By Six" and the sleeve notes tell us that people travel the country just to hear this track.

post-27803-0-45092800-1376650099_thumb.j......this was '73.....bloke from Blackburn Radio station has done the spiel on the back of the                                                                           cover....not got it, at work, so can't be more specific....but would grade my copy                                                                                       as.."AWO"  (i.e. "almost worn out") ! 

Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG-20130721-00027.jpg......this was '73.....bloke from Blackburn Radio station has done the spiel on the back of the                                                                           cover....not got it, at work, so can't be more specific....but would grade my copy                                                                                       as.."AWO"  (i.e. "almost worn out") ! 

Yes thats the one...it's all segued together if I remember correctly

Social source share

The Motown Disco Classics series from around the same time had some choice tracks as well.  As Pete said, someone at Motown must have had their finger on the pulse, as almost every track was a dancer, and a lot of 'Northern' dancers as well.  From what I can remember, the tracks melted into each other without a gap (probably like the "Non Stop Tamla Hits" LP in back street blue's post).

I think there were about 5 volumes of this - anyone confirm?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG-20130721-00027.jpg......this was '73.....bloke from Blackburn Radio station has done the spiel on the back of the                                                                           cover....not got it, at work, so can't be more specific....but would grade my copy                                                                                       as.."AWO"  (i.e. "almost worn out") ! 

My favourite Motown comp. I still give it a listen, it just transports me back to a carefree time practising my dance moves out on the landing and wearing away the carpet. My mum could never figure out how the carpet was wearing  there but nowhere else in the house.  :D.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Volume 4 was fantastic, I bought it from the record/tv shop in our village and wore it out, it had I'll Keep Holding On, Frances Nero, Al Kent, stuff like that, yellow cover with two cartoon dancers on it.

Got Volumes 2 & 3,

2 is especially good as it's got a Pull out poster in it, can't recall seeing 4 or 5, mind I'm getting on a bit  :(

Tony

Social source share

just found this thread on here about Disco Classics, where "Frosty Jack" says the LP I've mentioned above was referred to in Vol 3 as being the first volume of the Disco Classics series....

In the same way as Volume 1 of the Chartbusters series was originally just called British Motown Chartbusters...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In the spiel on the back cover he talks about the tracks being popular at "Discos"!!

Thats what they were all called back in those days, never 'clubs', I used to do my own 'disco charts' consisting of records they played at our local youth club disco - the term changed meaning about 75/76 I guess

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive had both 'The Motown Sound' volumes since the early seventies. The first one caused me to search out the Lollipops and Terry Johnson 45's a very long time ago. The second volume is another great comp which features tracks less retrospective and more of the time such as the incredible Val Simpson track 'Cant It Wait Until Tomorrow'.

Every home should have them!

:)

Sean

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Out of all the early 70's UK Tamla Motown comps here's one that doesn't often turn up.

The Motown Sound Volume One (STML 11217) released November 1972 I think.

Most Motown comps are chok full of hit after hit but as soon as I saw this after reading the liner notes I thought it's the most un Motown like compilation I've ever seen.

It's though the credit control department went on holiday for a bit and somebody knocked out the album when they were gone.

I mean look at track 6 side B - "Cheating is telling on you" by The Lollipops, Duke Browner gets a mention but why was this included?

If this album was released when I guess it to be it was filled with tracks from a few years earlier 1969-1970.

Interesting but slightly puzzling release.

Derek

attachicon.gifThe Motown Sound Vol One album front cover.jpg

attachicon.gifThe Motown Sound Vol One album rear cover.jpg

attachicon.gifThe Motown Sound Vol One album label.jpg

i know this was a couple of yrs ago but do you have a valuefor this ihave a very good copy for sale not sure how much though

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!