Artist Live/tv Footage On Dvd

Guest CARL D

Guest CARL D

Hi. Watched some footage of Jackie Wilson on a Jerry Lee Lewis Show dvd recently, and wondered if anyone knows of any other footage available,especially live. Also info on Little Anthony and the O'Jays would be great. Thanks, Carl.

Social source share

Stacks of the stuff on youtube Carl.  Too many to list really.  Brilliant footage of Little Anthony doing Hurt So Bad but I don't think any footage of Better Use Your Head has turned up yet.  I must have going on for 1000 clips of soul artists, but nobodys interested anymore thats why I never bothing compiling dvd's nowadays, I've still got tons of stuff not on youtube from when I used to trade with people.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My near neighbour Alan Lane set up a web site that I'm sure linked soul track info to footage of the acts performing their tracks on (mainly) US TV shows.

Alan & his missus used to run Beat Street Records (Abingdon) but have mothballed the biz after having lots of his 'best stuff' go 'walkabout'.

He downloaded 100's of youtube clips to his hard drives & I used to watch the best of em when I went round to his house.

His web site address was  ................. https://www.beatst.com/SoulCalculus/

....... but it seems to have disappeared. He either has a new web addy or he has let the site lapse.

Social source share

Guest CARL D

Thanks Pete + Roburt. Yes,you tube is a great source for clips. Be great if there were whole concerts recorded of say, Jackie Wilson, on dvd. Regards, Carl.

Stacks of the stuff on youtube Carl.  Too many to list really.  Brilliant footage of Little Anthony doing Hurt So Bad but I don't think any footage of Better Use Your Head has turned up yet.  I must have going on for 1000 clips of soul artists, but nobodys interested anymore thats why I never bothing compiling dvd's nowadays, I've still got tons of stuff not on youtube from when I used to trade with people.

Social source share

Thanks Pete + Roburt. Yes,you tube is a great source for clips. Be great if there were whole concerts recorded of say, Jackie Wilson, on dvd. Regards, Carl.

Sadly there appears to be precious little live footage available from Jackie Wilson's soul era (ie post 1966). As far as I am aware, there is no contemporaneous (1967/8) footage of him doing Whispers, Higher & Higher or Sweetest Feeling even though they were well placed US pop chart hits. One would have thought he would have appeared on some kind of US TV show at the time. There are a couple of clips of Jackie doing Higher & Higher but they are from the early 70s. 

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Unfortunately, US TV channel soul music show footage was not deemed 'important' back in the 60's.

Most local 'black' TV stations + many 'white audience' channels featured music shows that featured soul acts performing live or lip syncing back then. Lots of the 'black' channels were local and owned by blacks but many were taken over by bigger concerns when they had an established audience. The new management usually changed to a 'new programme' schedule and junked all the 'old show' tapes.

BUT even some 'so-called' big networked show footage was junked as it wasn't deemed to have an 'extended shelf life'.

For instance, a show that ran for quite a while on networked channels was 'Alan Ludden's Gallery' which was shot in the LA area.

This was a talk show that featured actors, singers & the like. The singers would perform live after being interviewed .

Here's a snap-shot of acts on that show over a month long period .... 

September 12th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Angeline Butler

September 11th 1969   Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer  Lenny Welch
September 5th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Nancy Ames
September 4th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Thelma Houston
August 28th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden guests are singer Johnny Mathis & the Danny Cox Trio
August 25th 1969    Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer-actress Sharon Cash with the Back Porch Majority.
August 21th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Gerri Granger
August 20th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Angeline Butler
August 19th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Gerri Granger
August 15th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Joe Williams
August 14th 1969  Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are singer Jackie DeShannon
August 13th 1969      Hosted by Allen Ludden, guests are actor / singer Della Reese
              H B Barnum & Band were on the shows 
No footage at all from the show seems to have survived. 

A local show that was screened in the Baltimore area from around 1967 to 1969 was the 'Kerby Scott Show'. This was initially a 60 minute show but when it proved popular with local black & white teenagers (suprise, suprise) the station upped it to 90 minutes duration. The show featured both local live acts and big named artists (including any Motown acts visiting the city) ........

post-22122-0-46869900-1376461572_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Lots of new local US TV stations started up from the mid through to the end of the 50's. Lots of them operated on a shoe-string to start with and as music shows were cheap to put on & quite easy to film, many had their own locally based show.

In Baltimore in 1959, Channel 13 (WJZ) had it's own 'music talent show'. This featured a local MC, a local singing star (Sonny Til of the Orioles), local bands, visiting stars (acts booked on a week long stint at the Royal Theatre such as LaVern Baker) and local amateurs. See ad for the show below ........

post-22122-0-32916300-1376462136_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!