Latimore

Heikki

Guest Dave Turner

Soul-Blues or Southern Soul ... erm, hard to describe. How about as David Whiteis named his book "Southern Soul-Blues"   :D

Latimore is such a superb artist, just oozes quality

Enjoy very much your site and articles on the more Southern & Deep side of soul ... wonderful stuff

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Dave!

... and thank you for your kind words.

I think "Soul-Blues" is the most common word nowadays in those circles, so I guess we have to settle for it... but not forgetting "southern Soul", which is a broader term, including older material, too.  Some seem to mix "Deep Soul" and "Soul-Blues", but there's a difference.  All those "hoochie" dancers are as far from Deep or Hard as it can get.

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

I've never heard the term "soul blues". All I know is that the DJ on my radio station Arkansas Red who plays "blues" completely despises "Southern Soul" despite other people calling a lot of his music that and despite him listening to "soul" in the '70s.

Social source share

I've never heard the term "soul blues". All I know is that the DJ on my radio station Arkansas Red who plays "blues" completely despises "Southern Soul" despite other people calling a lot of his music that and despite him listening to "soul" in the '70s.

Remember reading a Johnny Copeland interview where he chastised the interviewer for calling Johnny a "soul" singer ... Johnny thought that was an insult to a true blues man.

Social source share

Hi!

I remember when talking to Denise LaSalle a few years ago she said that "this music today is called soul-blues down here."  She didn't like the term "blues" being used to describe today's indie material, released on Malaco, Ecko, CDS and such.

It's interesting, if in Arkansas they don't know the term, where does the geographical line go?  Where is exactly "down here"? 

Best regards

Heikki

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Bob, to my mind unfortunately the term "Southern Soul" no longer means what it used to mean ie as in this Wiki link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_soul

I listen to nowadays "Southern Soul" and I hear what to me is a load of computerised crap. If that's what Arkansas Red despises then I can see his point as apart from a few exceptions it does nothing for me either. I really wish they'd call it something else. Shame really as there are some really talented voices let down by the crap electronic backing. Now if he means the stuff as outlined in the Wiki link then I really can't agree with him. Like the term R&B the term has been bastardised, and even "Deep Soul" to some extent.

Social source share

Hi!

My complete Latimore story is now available as part of my report on the great Porretta Soul Festival at

https://www.soulexpress.net/deep4_2013.htm

There's also the question: shall we call it "soul-blues" or "southern soul" at the end of the column.

Best regards

Heikki

Hi Heikki

Good to hear from you Sir. Just call it Soul Music and be done with it! :)

Another very interesting contribution - thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Cheers buddy.

Peter

Social source share

Hi Dave!

You're quite right in the fact that those "all-instruments keys" have ruined a lot of the listening pleasure, behind a lot of great voices.  Luckily, more and more authentic music is created lately, wittness Barbara Carr, Latimore (80 %), Otis Clay, Tasha Taylor...  I hope we're heading in the right direction, but there's always the money factor.  If Ecko's John Ward says that those indie SS CD's sell approximately 3,000 pieces, the shoestring budget is understandable; from the business point of view, not music. 

Hi Peter!  That's a good suggestion, but sometimes I'd like to define it a bit more :-).

Best regards

Heikki

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!