The Essence Of Northern Soul

What is it? For me it's not just the records, it's the dancing. Does it all come to a climactic eastenders doof doof doof moment when we're all at a standstill? I know the records will still be there, but northern tea dances......not for me.

What do my peers think, come on enlighten me, and let me know everything's going to be alright  :D  :D

Social source share

WOW, profound stuff. Gotta be the music. Dancing is fine whilst the knees hold up. Record collecting is okeh but you can't gather them all anyway let alone find the time to listen to them. Camaradie is good. Travelling is fine. Venues come and go. However, the music lives on, always something fresh around the corner, something that strikes a chord like 'It'll never be over for me'...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

For me it is the respect and cameraderie of musically like minded people. The friendships built up over many years of shared experiences of travelling to hear the music. And while at times we can nostalgically gloss over the warts. On the whole the respect for fellow soul fans and what they go through to hear their music has stood the test of time.

Social source share

Saw the title and thought this was about a new aftershave coming out, smells like a cross between Brut and sweat.

.. Ha ha.. The perfume to go with them ladies knickers with a black fist on them, the type on sale at weekenders on the tat stalls...... Back on topic.... As the song says " dancing is a part of life"... Quite a large part for me over the years.. Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

When I can't dance I can't really see myself there anymore...

....Well......I've got news for you Steve...... :lol: 

He, he - Just joking mate (That was too easy!).....You're nearly as good as me (ahem) :D 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

For me it is the respect and cameraderie of musically like minded people. The friendships built up over many years of shared experiences of travelling to hear the music. And while at times we can nostalgically gloss over the warts. On the whole the respect for fellow soul fans and what they go through to hear their music has stood the test of time.

Yes that sums it up quite nicely Mikey

Saw the title and thought this was about a new aftershave coming out, smells like a cross between Brut and sweat.

You forgot the great smell of old person wee, or is that just me :)

....Well......I've got news for you Steve...... :lol: 

He, he - Just joking mate (That was too easy!).....You're nearly as good as me (ahem) :D 

All the best,

I expected you to come up with something much more moving and profound Lenneth, go to the back of the class :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its the music. Everything else is a bonus.

However, when simply listening to it, I like to pick and choose the content, whereas at a venue, although I'm not a fan of 'anything goes/ across the board / etc' I can put up with a small amount of DJ self indulgence as the other items included make up for it.

I guess what I'm saying is we all like most of everything the scene brings, but there will always be healthy debate on 'whats good and not good'.

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What is it? For me it's not just the records, it's the dancing. Does it all come to a climactic eastenders doof doof doof moment when we're all at a standstill? I know the records will still be there, but northern tea dances......not for me.

What do my peers think, come on enlighten me, and let me know everything's going to be alright  :D  :D

Hi Win,

I just wrote (in my opinion) a rather 'profound' reply to your 'searching' question......but deleted it because it made me sound like a girl! :D

.......There's many things that make it special mate (as ya know) and I'm sure it will be in our lives until 'the end', in some shape or form.

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I expected you to come up with something much more moving and profound Lenneth, go to the back of the class :)

Wow! - and you were right, in fact using the same word to describe it (Spooky!)

I'm gonna give this one some more thought......

Social source share

Guest kev such

For myself its the appreciation of the time, effort and passion put into each song by the artists, writers and musicians.It amazes me everytime that people have the ability to make the finished article. When I hear all the elements combined come through the speakers the best way for me to show my appreciation is to immerse myself into it and dance until my heart bursts out of my chest.

Regards

Kev ( dont do modern) Such

Social source share

Guest kev such

For me ,it's a feeling and if you don't get it ,then you just don't get it  :rofl:

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Yeah that sums it up. Wish I'd wrote that.

Social source share

bout sums it up for me that too Mikey

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest the dukester

Reminds me of when people ask about the attraction of Scooters and Scootering.......The Reply often is..." DONT ASK....... YOU WOULDNT UNDERSTAND"  :)

Social source share

Yeah that sums it up. Wish I'd wrote that.

Hi Kev,

I did write that....but deleted it! :D......ok, I'll share a 'snippet'.......

.......What I find so special about 'this thing of ours' (To quote Randy Cousins) is that fact - One really can't put into words what it is. I love that the ones that do 'understand' (get it) also instantly recognise 'the others' that do......and it has nothing to do with what clothes you wear!

See ya next Friday Kev.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Kev,

I did write that....but deleted it! :D......ok, I'll share a 'snippet'.......

.......What I find so special about 'this thing of ours' (To quote Randy Cousins) is that fact - One really can't put into words what it is. I love that the ones that do 'understand' (get it) also instantly recognise 'the others' that do......and it has nothing to do with what clothes you wear!

See ya next Friday Kev.

All the best,..

....wise words you big girl.. Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

.. Ha ha.. The perfume to go with them ladies knickers with a black fist on them, the type on sale at weekenders on the tat stalls...... Back on topic.... As the song says " dancing is a part of life"... Quite a large part for me over the years..

trouble is Steve the baggy pant brigade will buy the Northern soul perfume and knickers

Social source share

As long as there's venues.., there's dancing.

As for dancing.  Yeah. Expect to slow with age wrt physical ability.   But I see very little evidence of that!  - i.e. Sammy, Carl Piper, Pete Davies, Chippy, Patrick (wears beenie hat @Stoke - never leaves the floor that bloke, except to change into sharper threads), still moving, still grooving, still individual, still feeling it.

Most of these guys have 10+ years on me.  But I look to the future with a massive grin on my face - cos that could be me in 10 years time - if I don't completely wreck me knees/ hips. 

And surely, they'll still be there - like hundreds of others -on the floor giving it large.

Everything's going to be alright mate. :D   :D  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't worry mate, it soon wears of... :yes:

Social source share

Surely  the essence is the effect the music has upon the listener, its ability to touch your soul, transport you back to a magic world  and time now long gone,  the emotional connection and identification .    dancing,  ovo arguments ,  Clubs , djs,  promoters , personalities , badges ,  fashions , etc  all peripheral to the central experience of feeling the music deep inside .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

For me the NS scene revolves around NS badged watches, NS mugs, NS tea sets, baggies, beer towels, embroidered badges ........... 

....the music, how does that fit in ??

Go somewhere you don't get in free due to your connections, somewhere that is still going after 1am, it will be very different since last time you were on the scene in 1967, speak to real people like the promoters Chalky's Dyson's Watermans etc that go to all nighters all the time, and then you will see how the music fits in.

I won't hold my breath.

Social source share

Go somewhere you don't get in free due to your connections, somewhere that is still going after 1am, it will be very different since last time you were on the scene in 1967, speak to real people like the promoters Chalky's Dyson's Watermans etc that go to all nighters all the time, and then you will see how the music fits in.

I won't hold my breath.

I may be wrong, but I thought Roburt's comment was tongue in cheek?  :ohmy:  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Go somewhere you don't get in free due to your connections, somewhere that is still going after 1am, it will be very different since last time you were on the scene in 1967

you mean there are venues that stay open after 1am, never been to one of them (in bed by 9pm every night these days).

... AND ... for your info, the last time I was on the scene was 1949, not 1967. PLEASE try to get your facts right.

Social source share

haing been 'into' a few scenes over the years i think for me it actually is the friendship and respect you get at nites( 90% of the time anyway)..ive never been to places where this is the norm and people from other scenes seem to be most surprised by it when they get into northern imo.....and what makes it unique is the traveling all over the country in large amounts..something the scooter scene does i know but thast not just a music based scene

ive collected records since i was about 5 or 6 so love the vinyl obsession but then i know people into reggae,hip hop and indie that are just the same...and a record fair i go to is full of old rockabillys who are just as obsessed with old rock n roll 45s

love dancin all night but then there are still underground techno events which are full of people who work all week and party all night at the weekend...

at the end of the day everybody has nostalgic memories of their time as a teen/twenties and most i chat to think their time was the best

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I may be wrong, but I thought Roburt's comment was tongue in cheek?  :ohmy:  :lol:

No, Bob the Bert thinks he is the only one in the world that likes Northern and Soul, even though he wasn't into Northern, he was only into soul, as it was before Northern was invented.

He did invent the term soul though.

Glad to see you back Winston, and glad to be able to exercise my sarcarstic glands now my SS political career is finished having lost the public vote.......

Social source share

No, Bob the Bert thinks he is the only one in the world that likes Northern and Soul, even though he wasn't into Northern, he was only into soul, as it was before Northern was invented.

Jocko, I'm so glad you realise that I'm the most important person on the world's NS scene .... it is satisfying to realise that my spectacular knowledge is so widely appreciated.

Social source share

Glad to see you back Winston, and glad to be able to exercise my sarcarstic glands now my SS political career is finished having lost the public vote.......

I missed that, what happened?

Social source share

Walking into a venue and the music and atmosphere washes over you like a tidal wave of emotion. Being on the the floor and feeling that you and the music are symbiotic. Being in your own little universe while dancing, eyes closed, face contorted with a pained expression while singing along, and not caring what others might think, because, if you open your eyes to take in your surroundings, everyone else is just the same. Realising there are some records you can hear time after time, if played a the right time:- Otis Smith-Let her go at 5am just as the sun is peeping through the skylight. Every word of the lyrics speaking volumes to you personally, every note and chord change sounding like the wisdom of the ages, and realising you've been dancing non stop for hours, legs and lungs are past pain and you're floating a few inches off the floor in rapture. A divine experience? Surely!

And the last song of the night, whether it be 3 before 8, Charles Mann-it's all over or Young Holt Unlimited-California Montage-the awful inevitability that a chasm of 7 days is just about to enter your life before fulfilment can be achieved once more. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Social source share

Guest Andy Carling

Walking into a venue and the music and atmosphere washes over you like a tidal wave of emotion. Being on the the floor and feeling that you and the music are symbiotic. Being in your own little universe while dancing, eyes closed, face contorted with a pained expression while singing along, and not caring what others might think, because, if you open your eyes to take in your surroundings, everyone else is just the same. Realising there are some records you can hear time after time, if played a the right time:- Otis Smith-Let her go at 5am just as the sun is peeping through the skylight. Every word of the lyrics speaking volumes to you personally, every note and chord change sounding like the wisdom of the ages, and realising you've been dancing non stop for hours, legs and lungs are past pain and you're floating a few inches off the floor in rapture. A divine experience? Surely!

And the last song of the night, whether it be 3 before 8, Charles Mann-it's all over or Young Holt Unlimited-California Montage-the awful inevitability that a chasm of 7 days is just about to enter your life before fulfilment can be achieved once more. And that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Nice quote hit the nail on the head.

Andy

Social source share

The essence is that its music from the soul of the performer/s which has a profound impact on the listener

This particular type of music compels the listener to get more of the stuff to fuel his habit.

It is not possible to replicate the music simply by performing the tune/song as this particular music has a quality which comes from a particular era and the manner in which it was recorded, arranged and produced is peculiar to that era.

The music has a certain dignity which is borne of the fact that most of the recordings were not commercially successful and thus neither heard nor appreciated by the majority of people and what identifies devotees of NS is their recognition of that dignity in the music and the feeling that they are not buying into the mass exploitation engineered by big business in the music industry.

The profound impact that the music has on its devotees,is denoted either by an urge to own a recording of the track and then search for more, or to share their appreciation of the music with others by playing it over a PA system or by interpreting and expressing the music in a particular style of dance influenced by the style of the artists themselves and also by the dance styles of the era in which the recordings were made.

Insomnia's a b*stard innit.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!