Elsie Dickson - What's The Deal?

boba

anyone know what the story is with this record / singer? is elsie a transvestite? an unusual real woman? i quickly googled and couldn't find any info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-plPRFlJko

also, do people really think the record is "great" and "fantastic"? nothing to do with the gender of the singer, it's just not that good singing and production. does it have some sort of history on the scene?

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

i know of some history of drag performers (e.g. the ones with rudy ray moore) but not ones who attempted to record real original music singles

phil medley wrote "twist and shout" apparently and isn't famous for that much else. would love to know more backstory.

Social source share

Hi,

Thats my utube clip above and I know nothing about the 45.

All I know is the 1st time my wife heard the track she advised (!) me nicely to buy it because she liked it.

I've played it out a couple of times and Errol Green also has a copy.

David

Social source share

i know of some history of drag performers (e.g. the ones with rudy ray moore) but not ones who attempted to record real original music singles

phil medley wrote "twist and shout" apparently and isn't famous for that much else. would love to know more backstory.

Bob , you're into the All Platinum label, are you aware of this LP on its Snake Eyes label subsidiary ?

https://www.popsike.com/PEARL-BOX-REVUE-2LP-Call-Me-MISSter-SEALED-Dorian-Corey/260694979850.html

Social source share

sure i was told it had something to do with

tranny in hairspray

dont care about that -- but not keen on the record to be fair

it's not divine from hairspray, i got a photo of elsie dickson, it's an old dude, divine would have been early 20s.

re: the all platinum comedy record, I actually have that because i have a Black comedy LP collection (also have lots of rudy ray moore related transvestite things) but it's not the same thing (this is someone trying to do a real song, not trying to act nasty) and I don't collect all platinum LPs. Thanks for the link though, it is a weird record.

Social source share

Jackie Shane would qualify, I guess.

You're not trying to suggest Jackie dressed strangely are you ?????????

......... can't believe that at all & he looks normal here (surely) ...........  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYW2iwimBw

I believe that Canadian TV broadcast a documentary show on him & his career around 3 years back -- 'I Got Mine: The Story Of Jackie Shane'

....... you are supposed to be able to view it here ......

........... https://www.cbc.ca/player/RADIO+HOLDING+PEN/Inside+the+Music/ID/1573058286/?sort=MostPopular

...but it woun't play for me .......anyone here get to see it ?

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

whoa, i actually always assumed he was really masculine for some reason, I mainly know "in my tenement". He's also singing about being a "poor boy" and talking about his girl. I don't think he's a true cross dresser, just very effeminate, e.g., not trying to pass as a woman. Reminds me of tony washington of the dynamic superiors. either way, really interesting.

Social source share

whoa, i actually always assumed he was really masculine for some reason, I mainly know "in my tenement". He's also singing about being a "poor boy" and talking about his girl. I don't think he's a true cross dresser, just very effeminate, e.g., not trying to pass as a woman. Reminds me of tony washington of the dynamic superiors. either way, really interesting.

I think you may be wrong there Bob.

There's a Canadian web site that I recently visited (though I can't find it today) that had loads of info on the 60's Toronto music scene.

Up on that was a photo of Jackie on stage and he's fully rigged out in womens clothes (with that 'Diana Ross type glamorous' look). 

Social source share

Cleveland / Florida / Jamaica based Jerri Jones (a twist here as she was a woman who dressed as a man) ....

..... Jerry / Jerri was close friends with Kim Tolliver, so I wonder if Jerri also 'hooked up' with Billy Wells down in Florida ?

post-22122-0-02580700-1375778453_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Phil did some very good soul productions including Frank Dell, Pat Lundy, Dee Dee Warwick and the Quotations which I'd bet you're already a fan of

Social source share

Sold one copy of 2 to Errol a year or so ago, nice track, I was undecided about the voice, a female Roy Hamilton, or a male Elsie Dickson, not sure which, but it leads on nicely to Phil Terrell - Love has passed me by - Carnival..., never been sure!

Phil was a school teacher in Jersey for many years and I'm pretty sure lead a conventional life. Check out his other Carnival sides, great records and I don't think he sounds particularly feminine on them.

Social source share

I think you may be wrong there Bob.

There's a Canadian web site that I recently visited (though I can't find it today) that had loads of info on the 60's Toronto music scene.

Up on that was a photo of Jackie on stage and he's fully rigged out in womens clothes (with that 'Diana Ross type glamorous' look). 

doesn't really contradict what i said above

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert