Selling A Million

Did any record produced on a shoestring in the style of Motown/Atlantic/Stax ever make it to a million seller?

We heard all the stories of the guys and gals who spent every last cent making a disc and hoping it would hit gold.

Did the dream come true for anybody?

Ed

Social source share

Actually it's happened loads of times. I don't have time to list 'em all, but there's plenty of one-off million-sellers on small labels, especially from the 60's......

Ian D :D

I thought there would have been several as wasn't  the 7" single was the main medium for buying music in the 60's for the youngsters?

Social source share

I thought there would have been several as wasn't  the 7" single was the main medium for buying music in the 60's for the youngsters?

I'm sure I've got some CD's which have one-off million-sellers on 'em but here's a list of one-off hits from the 60's from which you'll probably find a few...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_1960s_one-hit_wonders_in_the_United_States

Social source share

A few soul hits that were recorded and released on small labels before getting on a big label I can think of immediately are

Dyke and the Blazers - Funky Broadway

Intrigues - In a moment

O'Kaysions - Girl Watcher (and this came with a pic sleeve)

All of these were done for cheap, no doubt, by local people.

The original Jerden release of Louie Louie is not that rare. The first pressing may have been 600 but there were repressings using the same plates so no way to tell which is original. There's a blue vinyl one - same stampers, I think, hard to say when that was done. This is apart from the obvious boots that don't have the correct delta number.

Social source share

In addition to US hits that cost little to record, there were lots of 'overseas' hits that sold well without really breakin through in the US. 

In the soul field there was Felice Taylor & the Showstoppers which were hits in the UK.

ALSO tracks such as "Shotgun Wedding" were big hits in lots of countries and must also qualify.

Social source share

Not a million... but Jimmy Robins "I Can't Please You" being such a big seller has always surprised me.

Apparently 25.000 units sold in Chicago during the first four weeks of its release.

This is from Billboard Magazine, 5 November 1966:

attachicon.gifjimmyrobins.jpg

best check Robert Pruters book, remember he said allot of local 'Chicago' released recordings sales outstripped national ones...

m

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm A Girl Watcher"  - O'kaysions - North State.  Picked up by ABC and was a big hit.

Agent OO Soul - Edwin Starr - Ric Tic was another massive seller from a small label at the time of release.

Social source share

How about Fontella Bass on Checker:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/fontella-bass-singer-famed-for-her-powerful-interpretation-of-the-millionseller-rescue-me-8432763.html

Or Barbara George on A.F.O.? Or Chubby Checker and Dee Dee Sharp on Parkway? Or the Chiffons on Laurie? Or Aaron Neville on Parlo? Or Bettye Swan on Money. Or Barbara Mason on Arctic. Or Gene Chandler on Vee Jay.Or John Fred & The Playboy Band on Paula. etc, etc, etc.....

This is not such a weird phenomenon.

Indie labels like Profile (Run DMC, Rob Base And DH EZ-Rock), Streetwise (New Edition), Philly World (Eugene Wilde), Two Jay (Timex Social Club) were still scoring million-sellers throughout the 80's and the same for the indie Rap labels in the 90's.

Whilst America may not dwell on it's past too much, it certainly supports indie labels when they get hot records........ :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!