Do Djs Really Really Know

Forget about the top Djs,forget about x1000 pound record boxes what i've been hearing about the last few months i am fed up about people moaning about venues not playing the right stuff,What is the right stuff anyway?To me mid tempo and up tempos and a few floaters makes a good night in my opinion i do get in heated arguements with some soulies you can't keep everyone happy their answer is i don't go again and thats where low crowds at venues starting to appear i think if a dj plays to an empty floor and makes no atempt to resolve it and you should be showing them the door in my opinion if its soulful i dance to it im just pasting the vibes on promoted should stated on the flyers whats been played i was at an allnighter lastnight and they all had it to a tee back up boxes and they were playing to the crowd the worst thing is to see an empty floor at 4:00 in the morning.

Cheers Billy

Ps.i hope to get one reply from this if anyone has got any thing on there mind just say it.

Social source share

• Replies 108
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Heavy night Billy :D

I think i see what your getting at, people moaning about whats played?

Every ones got the right to moan IMO its healthy to have varied musical taste's even though its all under one banner 'soul' the variations are so differnt, i get bored if theres to much mid-late 70's (disco thumbsup.gif ) at all-nighters lose's the atmosphere IMO.

As for DJ's playing to an empty floor, depends what kind of venue it is if its an oldies venue you would expect they hire oldies DJ's and so on, don't think i've ever seen a DJ with an empty floor all through his spot, i've played at venues where there is hardly any one there, or early on at soul nights and you struggle to keep a floor, but thats the way it goes, you got to remember at soul nights any way! the dancers arnt there any more, days have gone when people get into a venue and want to dance from the muinite they arrive to when they leave, with the exception of nighters where there is quite a few dancers.

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Forget about the top Djs,forget about x1000 pound record boxes what i've been hearing about the last few months i am fed up about people moaning about venues not playing the right stuff,What is the right stuff anyway?To me mid tempo and up tempos and a few floaters makes a good night in my opinion i do get in heated arguements with some soulies you can't keep everyone happy their answer is i don't go again and thats where low crowds at venues starting to appear i think if a dj plays to an empty floor and makes no atempt to resolve it and you should be showing them the door in my opinion if its soulful i dance to it im just pasting the vibes on promoted should stated on the flyers whats been played i was at an allnighter lastnight and they all had it to a tee back up boxes and they were playing to the crowd the worst thing is to see an empty floor at 4:00 in the morning.

Cheers Billy

Ps.i hope to get one reply from this if anyone has got any thing on there mind just say it.

I hear yer. thumbsup.gif Was at Soulgate yesterday. Lot of Modern. Then out of nowhere came the Parliaments, and my spirits were lifted. That's what it's all about, a mix. Should expect it. It's all northern soul. if you don't like it, don't come. :D

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

You will always have people moaning billy that will never change,at the last middleton i was told i have no music policy to many oldies to many cover ups to many djs the wrong djs[bollocks] place is to big place is to small you open to early to many rooms you need a fourth room and so on.The answer ,who knows and if anybody does let me know alls i can say is that an empty dance floor at niters is a definate no no it should be full from start to finish and if it isnt and people are leaveing early something is wrong.There will always be disagreements over music policy so as a promoter i have to cater for the majority but if you have good djs who hit the right balance of old and new it is possible to keep some of the people happy some ot the time,i hope.

Social source share

You will always have people moaning billy that will never change,at the last middleton i was told i have no music policy to many oldies to many cover ups to many djs the wrong djs[bollocks] place is to big place is to small you open to early to many rooms you need a fourth room and so on.The answer ,who knows and if anybody does let me know alls i can say is that an empty dance floor at niters is a definate no no it should be full from start to finish and if it isnt and people are leaveing early something is wrong.There will always be disagreements over music policy so as a promoter i have to cater for the majority but if you have good djs who hit the right balance of old and new it is possible to keep some of the people happy some ot the time,i hope.

We had a chap come to These Old Shoes in London (smal basement club) one night and we hadn't seen hime before so we asked him what he thought:

He said "It's shit .. the dance floor is too small, the sound system is rubbish, the music is crap, the DJ's don't know what they are doing and the beer is crap too"

He came month after month and was just as miserable each time.

Draw your own conclusions

Edited by paultp
Social source share

We had a chap come to These Old Shoes in London (smal basement club) one night and we hadn't seen hime before so we asked him what he thought:

He said "It's shit .. the dance floor is too small, the sound system is rubbish, the music is crap, the DJ's don't know what they are doing and the beer is crap too"

I only went twice to TOS, the first time my mates and I were leaving and some bloke said as we left "They didn't play any northern soul!" He must have had a walkman on all night! :P

Social source share

On the flipside of keeping dancefloors filled it can have the negative effect on the music policy all night e.g. do we have to listen to Moses Smith, Frank Wilson, and other oldies all night just to keep the floor packed where you can't move? Just love it when something like Little Johnny Hamilton, Pat Powdrill etc is played just to clear the floor a bit and give me some room!

Whatever the venue, whatever the music, whoever the dj's there will always be those who enjoyed and those who didn't, but if it was that bad as in the case of one ceratin big all-niter I went to a year or so back you just don't go again.

And I dont believe in slagging the promoters or whoever off for the nite as most would have put a good bit of work into making it happen

Grant

Edited by grant
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Cant agree with you on that one about keeping the dance floor full has a negative affect on music policy grant,1000s of good records to choose from without compromiseing all down to haveing the right djs :P .

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Who is this guy.

Come on, own up.

He HAS to be a member on here. That sounds like the job description for anyone wishing to join in.

Social source share

Cant agree with you on that one about keeping the dance floor full has a negative affect on music policy grant,1000s of good records to choose from without compromiseing all down to haveing the right djs :P .

yeah but what i mean Andy is where djs play it safe all nite just to fill the floor and guarantee their next booking ..... the all-niter i am on about played moses smith and similar at least 3 times in the same bleedin' nite mate, lets put it another way the only tune that half emptied the floor was Youngblood Smith, the rest of thetunes were all very much played out oldies (& that awful Baby A Go-Go!!)...nowt wrong with refueling the floor if you have emptied it

Social source share

yeah but what i mean Andy is where djs play it safe all nite just to fill the floor and guarantee their next booking ..... the all-niter i am on about played moses smith and similar at least 3 times in the same bleedin' nite mate, lets put it another way the only tune that half emptied the floor was Youngblood Smith, the rest of thetunes were all very much played out oldies (& that awful Baby A Go-Go!!)...nowt wrong with refueling the floor if you have emptied it

but that's exactly where the problem lies, one person is saying 'if the floor is empty the DJ is not doing his/her job' and you are saying if the floor is filled with safe oldies, then the DJ isn't doing his/her job and perhaps you would prefer an empty floor but less obvious records.

Unless you are very lucky and have a strongly supported club where you try to play 'not the same old oldies', by supported I mean by the people who actually attend, then more often or not, in order to avoid 'empty floors at 4am' you end up with the same old same old oldies. It's a vicious circle :wicked:

Personally as a punter I would prefer fresh lesser played sounds irrespective of whether anyone was dancing, as a DJ I would prefer a full floor.... oooh what do you do - try and 'strike a balance' , sure that sounds good in theory, but we all know what packs the majority onto the floor and until we do away with dance floor all together (there's an idea) - then there will always be this 'problem' of the people on the floor often wanting something very different to the people sat around who have paid just as much to get in, and are just as entitled to 'get what they want'. My brain hurts now....

As has been implied, you can't please ANYone even some of the time a lot of the time!

Personally I would not go back to somewhere that played the above. Not knocking it for other people if that's what they like, but sounds grim to me, and there are so many great records that need to be played. Perhaps people need to try not to fear the empty floor when DJing, but then you get Billy and his mates out for your blood ha ha it's all good stuff innit :P

Social source share

Guest Simon

I agree with this totally, if you know what you're doing you can get away with playing slightly riskier stuff mixed into your set if you've put the work in to get the crowds trust, it's all about balance.

Some djs can get a feel for the place & the crowd & get it spot on, some unfortunately don't.

Simon

Social source share

I agree with this totally, if you know what you're doing you can get away with playing slightly riskier stuff mixed into your set if you've put the work in to get the crowds trust, it's all about balance.

Some djs can get a feel for the place & the crowd & get it spot on, some unfortunately don't.

Simon

Spot on Simon :P

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I wish to pass on the following piece of advice, that was given to me about a year ago.

For a happy care free soul night.........

"Avoid anything with Wigan in the title"

Works every time for me. :P

Could be a problem for the Wigan soul clubs night in Wigan working mens club, wigan road, wigan.

But I catch your drift.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

i know what your saying grant,so maybe the answer is dont support these kind of venues to many venues out there being badly run with piss poor djs,who will dj for free just to get a spot with dodgy promoters only to happy to water down the dj lineup to make a profit.It is possible to keep hundreds of people on the floor all nite if you have the right djs,as simon says djs who put the work in.Its no good trying to force feed new sounds down people who have been into the soul scene 20 odd years throats but it is possible to re activate forgotten sounds and slip in a few new bits if done correctly,you only have to listen to andy dyson soul sam carl fortnum these guys play a perfect mixture of old and new without boreing the arse of you or trying to educate you,thats why they are top of the tree imho of course.

Social source share

i know what your saying grant,so maybe the answer is dont support these kind of venues to many venues out there being badly run with piss poor djs,who will dj for free just to get a spot with dodgy promoters only to happy to water down the dj lineup to make a profit.It is possible to keep hundreds of people on the floor all nite if you have the right djs,as simon says djs who put the work in.Its no good trying to force feed new sounds down people who have been into the soul scene 20 odd years throats but it is possible to re activate forgotten sounds and slip in a few new bits if done correctly,you only have to listen to andy dyson soul sam carl fortnum these guys play a perfect mixture of old and new without boreing the arse of you or trying to educate you,thats why they are top of the tree imho of course.

spot on

Social source share

that's the thing innit, good DJs know what they are doing, mind you have seen some good DJs not get it right sometimes as well, but more often than not seen people who don't have a clue at all.had a good conversation at Burnley friday about this what is well known to some is not known to others, a good knowledgable DJ can suss out what he can play and get away with,others just bash anything and when it does'nt work revert to standard type .then again so many records to play why play the same ones. :wicked::P

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I only went twice to TOS, the first time my mates and I were leaving and some bloke said as we left "They didn't play any northern soul!" He must have had a walkman on all night! :wicked:

LOLOL..... :wicked: I know - I was one of the residents....and I only played Abba :P Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Who is this guy.

Come on, own up.

He HAS to be a member on here. That sounds like the job description for anyone wishing to join in.

Actually Mikey, PTP made me go and interogate him :P He was tall - about 6ft - glasses...Aviator in design....and was a miserable git....and drank beer. Looked like he was sticking pins in his eyes every month..perhaps he was a masochist :wicked: Anyway, all part of the rich tapestry etc etc :wicked: Jo

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Dont think there is an answer to this one is there? Everyone has got an opinion on a soul night wherever, whenever staged, it doesnt matter who you put on to dj the comments are always the same, played safe, too much rare, too many oldies, modern? thats disco, two words that sum the scene up for me.....never satisfied.

You could put on an a soul do with array of the best dj's (which would be difficult cos everyones got a favourite) in the best venue (which would be difficult cos everyones got a favourite) play the best sounds (which would be difficult cos everyones got favourites)

trouble with this is, the event would have to last for days, maybe weeks on end to accomodate all the tastes for all the people, at a soul night you get maybe 4-5 hours to please all the crowd, it aint gonna happen (see comments above)

I.M.H.O. just keep putting the soul night get the d.j's to play a good across the board mix of everything and if people keep coming and dancing you're doing exactly what it says on the tin!! irrispective of the negative comments of the few,

I will leave you with this... Young lady at our anniversary night Saturday commented "the music at ............ is better that here".

Funny thing is she comes all the time, was dancing to nearly all the tunes played and clapping at the end of the night :P

Me old Mum, god rest her soul, was right "Nowt as funny as folk"

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Actually Mikey, PTP made me go and interogate him :P He was tall - about 6ft - glasses...Aviator in design....and was a miserable git....and drank beer. Looked like he was sticking pins in his eyes every month..perhaps he was a masochist :huh: Anyway, all part of the rich tapestry etc etc :D Jo

AHHHH Ben Summers whistling.gif

Sorry Ben :thumbsup:

I actually from that description have an idea who it may be.

Will email you.

Social source share

I wish to pass on the following piece of advice, that was given to me about a year ago.

For a happy care free soul night.........

"Avoid anything with Wigan in the title"

Works every time for me. whistling.gif

why?

Social source share

Heavy night Billy :D

Every ones got the right to moan IMO its healthy to have varied musical taste's even though its all under one banner 'soul' the variations are so differnt, i get bored if theres to much mid-late 70's (disco whistling.gif ) at all-nighters lose's the atmosphere IMO.

You may get bored with too many 70's and in your opinion loses some of the atmosphere but to someone else it will make the night...also why do you have the right to moan at something thats played and in most cases advertised? Like I said cause someone doesn't like something doesn't mean that someone on the next table thinks it is the best record of the bight. One man's/woman's meat is anothers poison blah blah.... :thumbsup:

I get bored with too many oldies you hear week in week out but I either vote with my feet and go somewhere else or just get on with it. Most people who attend venues on a regular basis know what a particular dj is going to play, if not to their taste they should either stay away or keep quiet in my opinion...like I said may not be to one person taste but to another they will be. If a dj is that bad that he consistently clears the floor then he or she ain't going to get booked so problem solved there :huh:

I see and hear many moaning about this that or the other but I never see them do anything aboput it...like promote a venue :P

Social source share

You may get bored with too many 70's and in your opinion loses some of the atmosphere but to someone else it will make the night...also why do you have the right to moan at something thats played and in most cases advertised? Like I said cause someone doesn't like something doesn't mean that someone on the next table thinks it is the best record of the bight. One man's/woman's meat is anothers poison blah blah.... whistling.gif

Of course you have the right to moan your a paying customer, you wouldn't go into a restaurant and order a steak rare, and it comes out well done you would say summin about it no?

Social source share

Of course you have the right to moan your a paying customer, you wouldn't go into a restaurant and order a steak rare, and it comes out well done you would say summin about it no?

But if you know exactly what you are going to hear and you still go does it give you the right to moan?

If a venue advertises one thing and then gives you something else then I agree you have the right but if you get what you are told you are going to get then what gives you the right to moan cause a few records don't agree with you personally but plenty of other paying customers still enjoy them?

Social source share

No, that's a very poor analogy. You don't go into a venue and order your music.

Think of it more as a buffet. There are several different meats on offer, some of which are not to your taste. You choose the ones you like and fill up on bread. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps... it's sure as hell confused me. whistling.gif

G. Ramsay

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Think of it more as a buffet. There are several different meats on offer, some of which are not to your taste. You choose the ones you like and fill up on bread. :thumbsup:

G. Ramsay

or veg in some cases :huh:

Shane

ps. I agree dave. if they claim to be 60s orientated and play more 70s then Baz has a point

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

I only went twice to TOS, the first time my mates and I were leaving and some bloke said as we left "They didn't play any northern soul!" He must have had a walkman on all night! whistling.gif

Some of the best music got played in the hour before we opened the doors when Jo, Martin & I used to play the records that we had bought during that month to each other.

It was manadatory for each of us when asked for an opinion by the others to reply "That's shite" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Simon

Some of the best music got played in the hour before we opened the doors when Jo, Martin & I used to play the records that we had bought during that month to each other.

Hi Paul,

Hope your well mate, the Hammers are doing well!

Good point you made there mate, i often enjoy playing records in the first hour at a do, you don't have to worry about the dancefloor & can be more self indulgent.

Simon

Social source share

or veg in some cases whistling.gif

Shane

ps. I agree dave. if they claim to be 60s orientated and play more 70s then Baz has a point

Shane, I agree with Baz... its just that I found the food angle more interesting than the thread.

I'm waiting for somebody to start about etiquette now... should one extend one's little finger Wigan stylee whilst eating a vol au vent or is it unimportant?

Sorry I neglected the vegetarian aspect. Do you think we should add other options to the menu, such as kosher? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Big problem is PEOPLE who don't know f*** all.

Play some oldies - gives a clue?

Play Something from Wigan - like what?

I hate this 70's shit - then you see them dancing to the Carstairs etc?

Not going there again X played a shit spot, so what about the other 5/6/7or 8 hours?

Play some Motown - Baby Love then!

Is there any DJ that hasn't had some shit of someone about what they played, if there is then he's the BEST IN THE WORLD, and MR PERFECT as well. whistling.gif:huh::P:thumbsup:

Social source share

Think of it more as a buffet. There are several different meats on offer, some of which are not to your taste. You choose the ones you like and fill up on bread. :huh:

G. Ramsay

:lol::P

Why settle for the bread when the menu with carful planning can satisfiy the even most picky of eaters :D

That the thing though isn't Northern soul 60's orientated? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I just spoke to Billy, and what he meant in his original post is if a DJ is playing to an emptyish floor, he should try his best to recover the floor, not carry on regardless playing what he is.

Social source share

:huh::P

Why settle for the bread when the menu with carful planning can satisfiy the even most picky of eaters :thumbsup:

That the thing though isn't Northern soul 60's orientated? whistling.gif

70's (and new releases) have always been played at Northern Soul events right from the early days. I've never really thought of Northern Soul as 60's only.

Many events advertise their policy as "across the board" and "something for everyone".

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Cheers Billy

I went to two allnighters last weekend, Burnley on Friday and Leicester on Saturday & have no complaints about either. I didn't dance at Burnley but did at Leicester. Although both events were good, Burnley was the one I enjoyed the most. Just because someone doesn't dance it doesn't mean they aren't having a good time. Dancers shouldn't expect to entirely dictate music policy as some people won't dance to something they don't know, & some records that have cleared the floor when first played have gone on to be extremely popular.

Mark.

Social source share

Guest Simon

I personally choose venues where i know i'm gonna like the djs, Northern Soul is too big a genre today to say it's either this or that.

Me personally i prefer 95% 6ts & 5% of 7ts & oddball bits that fit.

To me that's Northern Soul but to others it won't be that.

Simon

Social source share

Big problem is PEOPLE who don't know f*** all.

Play some oldies - gives a clue?

Play Something from Wigan - like what?

I hate this 70's shit - then you see them dancing to the Carstairs etc?

Not going there again X played a shit spot, so what about the other 5/6/7or 8 hours?

Play some Motown - Baby Love then!

Is there any DJ that hasn't had some shit of someone about what they played, if there is then he's the BEST IN THE WORLD, and MR PERFECT as well. whistling.gif:huh::P:thumbsup:

What planet are you on mate not the one i came off yesterday and whats wrong with the carstairs all im saying is top djs 200 or 300 pound an hour can't keep the floor going and makes no atempt to resolve it with a back up box should be showing the door a nighters are dance venues take my drift.

Billy.

Social source share

70's (and new releases) have always been played at Northern Soul events right from the early days. I've never really thought of Northern Soul as 60's only.

Nor have i, 60's orientated yes, but not 60's only, surley if the 70's out weighs the 60's its a crossover night? or summin like that whistling.gif

Personly like Rod on here i feel that 60's are being pushed aside for seventys and lesser know 60's sounds are harder and harder to play, because 'catchy' 70's are easy to dance to.

Social source share

Guest Rich

I'm sorry, but I was working away from home, Thursday was always a bad day at work and nobody told me if I wanted a pint of Harvey's, I had to go upstairs to get it whistling.gif

Social source share

Nor have i, 60's orientated yes, but not 60's only, surley if the 70's out weighs the 60's its a crossover night? or summin like that whistling.gif

Personly like Rod on here i feel that 60's are being pushed aside for seventys and lesser know 60's sounds are harder and harder to play, because 'catchy' 70's are easy to dance to.

I don't think I've been to a venue thats advertised as Northern Soul where the 70's outweigh the 60's, ever :thumbsup: As I've said in previous topic, you often got a modern DJ thrown in amongst the 60's dj's some years back. All I'm saying is folk should live and let live, appreciate that not everything they hear will be to their taste but to also realise that someone else will no doubt be enjoying those you don't like.

why do people class 70's as crossover, not all 70's are crossover.....(thats a general observation Baz, not aimed at anything you've said).

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

What planet are you on mate not the one i came off yesterday and whats wrong with the carstairs all im saying is top djs 200 or 300 pound an hour can't keep the floor going and makes no atempt to resolve it with a back up box should be showing the door a nighters are dance venues take my drift.

Billy.

Billy if you read my post correctly, I was pointing out that people moan about everything, generally most punters haven't a clue what track they are moaning about. Nothing wrong with the Carstairs, it was my favourite sound in 1974, it's a 70's release, but the number of people who ask me to play it say in the same breath that they hate 70's, what planet are they on. whistling.gif
Social source share

Billy if you read my post correctly, I was pointing out that people moan about everything, generally most punters haven't a clue what track they are moaning about. Nothing wrong with the Carstairs, it was my favourite sound in 1974, it's a 70's release, but the number of people who ask me to play it say in the same breath that they hate 70's, what planet are they on. whistling.gif

Same goes for Jackie Wilson - Because Of You, 1973 but considered Northern. Constellations, again Northern....

Does anybody really know :thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't think I've been to a venue thats advertised as Northern Soul where the 70's outweigh the 60's, ever.........

why do people class 70's as crossover, not all 70's are crossover.....

Some of my favourite records that I thought were 60's turned out to be 70's when I finally got them.

A good friend hates R&B & threw me out of his house because I categorised one of his records as such, but let me back in because I liked it & wanted to hear the rest, I still think it's R&B & he still thinks it's soul but we both like it.

Musical styles are open to interpretation & not everyone agrees where the dividing line is, I think crossover is going from one side of the road to the other.

Good is good, crap is crap irrespective of age or style.

Social source share

I don't think I've been to a venue thats advertised as Northern Soul where the 70's outweigh the 60's, ever :thumbsup: As I've said in previous topic, you often got a modern DJ thrown in amongst the 60's dj's some years back. All I'm saying is folk should live and let live, appreciate that not everything they hear will be to their taste but to also realise that someone else will no doubt be enjoying those you don't like.

why do people class 70's as crossover, not all 70's are crossover.....(thats a general observation Baz, not aimed at anything you've said).

No its Disco whistling.gif:huh:

I know what your saying dont mind hearing some and all that and when im out i 'live and let live' just makes for a bit of fun on hear preaching what should/shouldn't be played ect :P

Social source share

No its Disco whistling.gif:huh:

I know what your saying dont mind hearing some and all that and when im out i 'live and let live' just makes for a bit of fun on hear preaching what should/shouldn't be played ect :P

I know you usually live and let live and wasn't having a go at you or anyone in particular.... :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

should one extend one's little finger Wigan stylee whilst eating a vol au vent or is it unimportant?

Sorry I neglected the vegetarian aspect. Do you think we should add other options to the menu, such as kosher? :huh:

Certainly not, grasp vol au vent firmly with all fingers otherwise the little blighters tend to escape and fall into a crumbly mess and you end up with mushroom/prawn/chicken sauce all down your clean shirt :thumbsup:

I do find vol au vents a bit toooo 70s chic for my liking a bit like quiche whistling.gif

QoFxx

Edited by chrissieo
Social source share

Point taken caststairs my top record going back to my early days i've still got that little black book of mine i go to an allnighter have an exellent time and at the end of the night go and get changed and i just hear other soulies moaning about it it puts me downer straight away soul town Andy right you always get a few that moan.

Billy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert