John Manship Auction Results 24-7-2013

8176_1sm.jpg8176_1sm.jpg8176_2sm.jpg
Tony Hestor Just Can't Leave You C/w Watch Yourself

Those of you serious about Detroit Northern Soul, please take note this record is perfect UNPLAYED! Labels are “as new” also..

Tony Hestor on Giant has sat around here for many years I couldn’t bring myself to sell it after finding it at a record fair in Lansing, Michigan. Thinking what are the chances of anyone finding a perfect copy of this supreme example of Detroit Northern Soul.

Chances are nil of course, reluctantly I’m selling it as I can’t bring myself to play it - sound file has been lifted from a “Karate” copy we have n stock.

Real-rarity and perfection will of course come at a price!

So listen to a few musical geniuses at work;both sides written and sung by Tony himself, arranged by Sax-God Mike Terry, produced by the unsurpassed PIED PIPER production team.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 870.00

8189_1sm.jpg8189_1sm.jpg8189_2sm.jpg
Little Stanley The Stran C/w Wanted

Bay Area Northern Soul from the desk of Rick Vance an Oakland musical entrepreneur who’s Vance label released 3 Little Stanley Lippett 45s all of which are seriously sought after and it’s not hard to see why.

Without exception all 9 or so VANCE 60s 45 we’ve encountered have all proved rare and highly collectable no matter what genre.

When it comes to Northern Soul this 1967 recording is spilling over with energy propelled by a studio crammed full of blaring horns enriched by a persuasive bass guitarist delivering the perfect dance-inspiring-breaks, as an insane drummer gets carried away with the session.

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL - spontaneous and unstoppable.

Flip it for a DEEP SOUL ballad from the pen of the unrecorded Little Stanley, Deep Soul in the style of Memphis and James Carr… as the horns lower and drag along with the artist’s obvious despair.

This copy is in perfect condition, throughout.

The winning bid was £ 415.00

8186_1sm.jpg8186_1sm.jpg8186_2sm.jpg
Lovers Without A Doubt C/w One Way To Love

Vocal group Northern Soul at it very best!

Everything on the label is RARE and sought after with records coming from as far afield as Boise, Idaho or small town Oroville, North California make this an indie label of substance.

This is the only Northern Soul offering on the label but what an offering it is! Brutal dance production tamed by fluid precise male harmony. Like their other 4 recordings as “The Emotions” on Vardan & Philips the team are guided by Arvey Andrews through two utterly sublime recordings.

Topside has been a real-deal Northern Soul trophy for decades now, I remember unable to contain my joy at finding a copy in Stockton, California was back in the early 80s. Listen, and it will all come flooding back to you just how convincing this seldom heard rarity is.

Flip it over, and I’m in heaven as the pace drops and this Bay Area group sound like they’ve been under he tutorship of Curtis Mayfield. Smooth as silk mid-tempo for a special moment radio or afternoon chill-out set.

Two awesome tunes on one very rare & pristine Californian platter…

Irresistible on both the ear ad the eye!

The winning bid was £ 839.00

8185_1sm.jpg8185_1sm.jpg8185_2sm.jpg
Tom Green Endless Confusion

Take a listen, I think you’ll agree that it is hard to believe this recording was released UK ONLY and was missed by everyone, as it sat on the flipside to an electric Funk tune; far too rocky to sell to soul fans, so another towering-tune lay hidden on a flipside, to be discovered in other decades by those pioneering DJ’s seeking fine “lost” soul.

Apparently 1973 PROMO only in the USA on Evolution 1082 but without the good side. So this is it, the only known way to own “Endless Confusion” a stunning slab of early 70s soul, a dance groove that has graced the turntables of most every British Club that pride themselves on delivery the best of crossover & 70s soul-dance music.

But yet to catch a ride on the wider audience of the Northern Soul culture, we think it has everything to take that off-shoot by a storm also.

This rare 1974 UK press is just immaculate…

The winning bid was £ 174.00

Social source share

8190_1sm.jpg8190_1sm.jpg8190_2sm.jpg
Del Jones Postive Vibes Afro-funky-isms C/w Big Feet

From the artist who 3 years earlier released the ultimate rare FUNK album on Hikeka. Comes this double helping of attitude driven Funk showcasing insane guitar work littered with JB inspired chants and shouts.

An artist of obvious outrageous talent, as he writes both sides of the 45 for his four man team, who hand out two potent “Brass Construction” style dancers.

Philly Funk and it’s most inspirational!

The winning bid was £ 108.00

8194_1sm.jpg8194_1sm.jpg8194_2sm.jpg8194_3sm.jpg8194_4sm.jpg
Motown Distributors Booklet It's What's In The Grove That Counts

Simply the greatest piece of 60s Motown memorabilia it is possible to own.

1964 12 page booklet featuring all the current artists (including a mention of LINDA GLYNER!”) Japanese printer maybe?

the eye-popper sample will have Motown & Soul historians blood-pressure rising.. to hold, browse and re-browse this RARE booklet sent to DJ’s, One-Stops & Distributors only, as thank you for their support!

Check out those impressive sample scans - it’s a must own isn’t it!

The winning bid was £ 111.00

8183_1sm.jpg8183_1sm.jpg8183_2sm.jpg
Wayne Fontana Give Me Just A Little More Time

The almost mythical 1970 withdrawn UK STOCK copy.

What a great song the gathering of Ron Dunbar & Edyth Wayne (Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Edward Holland, Jr. pseudonym) crafted for Norman Johnson’s new group. Meanwhile, back in England Michael Aldred was plotting to take the soulful vocal of Wayne Fontana to the studio and snatch a hit from under the noses of Invictus, who were yet to launch their new venture in the UK.

But all didn’t go well, Invictus with the power of EMI got, the then unknown Chairmen Of The Board straight onto the radio and the single blasted it’s way to no. 3 in the British Charts within weeks.

The Philips version never received to my knowledge any air time whatsoever, withdrawn and instantly killed dead. Years later to emerge as a British Soul collecting trophy. Unlike the Chairmen Of The Board version Wayne Fontana didn’t have the privilege of “The Funk Brothers” backing him, but all the same this is a really superb version.. rippling with all the naivety these irresistible UK productions give.

Beautifully clean condition and RARE in the extreme as all seasoned UK Soul collectors will testify.

The winning bid was £ 100.00

8196_1sm.jpg8196_1sm.jpg8196_2sm.jpg
Ruby Feminine Ingenuity C/w Deceived

Yes the release with the bonus Northern Soul dancer on the flipside also.

Two immaculate label, like new vinyl - minuscule slow storage warp only noticeable if you scrutinize it as it turns on the decks..

Otherwise this is a fine, fine copy indeed straight from file in the USA no DJing use or fatigue whatsoever, most likely unplayed until it reached these shores. Note the PERFECT labels not a blemish anywhere.

The winning bid was £ 586.00

Social source share

8205_1sm.jpg8205_1sm.jpg8205_2sm.jpg8205_3sm.jpg8205_4sm.jpg
Royalettes The Elegant Sound Of

Not that anyone has ever doubted the extreme talents of studio-supremo Teddy Randazzo, but I can assure you, you will hold him in even higher regard after listening to the 6 track sample we’ve pulled for your consideration from this magnificent 1966 UK 15 track album.

1. baby are you putting me on (also recorded by Linda Carr)
  2. love without an end
  3. it’s a big mistake
  4. I don’t want to be the one
  5. it’s better not to know
  6. I can’t stop running away (also recorded by Timi Yuro)

These 6 chosen by no means outclass the other 9 girl group pearls on the album, these choices exhibit the sheer genius at work in the studio; and behind the scenes were such great lyricists as Bo Gentry, Bobby Hart, Bobby Weistein, Lou Stallman, Victoria Pike, Larry Kusik all regular contributors to the “Razzle Dazzle” productions.

Not often do you find a 60s album when every track is a winner, so to get 15 of this quality is really something special.

For those of you album fans who are neurotic about condition, the cover back and front is flawless, as are both labels, vinyl is a strong clean immaculate Mint -

Sublime music, in sublime condition, in it’s rarest form…

The winning bid was £ 142.00

8188_1sm.jpg8188_1sm.jpg8188_2sm.jpg
Sweet Pearl You Mean Everything To Me C/w While We Are Together

The soundfile itself will be a far stronger testament to this most-soulful Memphis dancer, than any words i can muster.

Again it’s the flipside that does the business, as this Memphis independent chases the burgeoning Boogie scene of the early 80s with the frantically fast a-side.

Sweet Memphis horns purr away prompting the lilting production into action, an at-ease Sister vocal cruises her way through a mid-tempo arrangement of real class, plenty of lengthy instrumental breaks showcasing the level of skill in the studio as the lady builds her way up to a wonderful ending.

Top quality!

The side the team decided to lead with is a run-away-track experience that will delight European Boogie enthusiasts.

The side the rare-soul will gush-over is a stand-out track indeed, yet to break into the greater NS scene - but drenched in all the class required to do so.

The winning bid was £ 211.00

8191_1sm.jpg8191_1sm.jpg8191_2sm.jpg
Uncredited Artist True Love C/w Suzette (double Vocal)

Unissued & unique Frankford & Wayne acetate that remains uncredited to any artist or group.

Personally I’m fascinated by these mysterious recordings, this one from circa 1966, offers up two totally contrasting side. The Northern Soul side is a THUMPER!

slow short intro then Wack! The lead vocal disappears to be replaced by a thumping beat, a persistent bass guitar that drives the production, highlighted by not one but four horn or sax breaks the longest one break being a totally special Saxophone experience.. .

The flip is not Northern Soul but a worthy Psyche / Garage session with strong Fuzz guitar and wild violin antics! Not a bit a brass in hearing distance and the whole thing comes together perfectly as an atmospheric mind worm that just sticks in your brain.

The winning bid was £ 426.00

8187_1sm.jpg8187_1sm.jpg8187_2sm.jpg
Eddie Horan City Life

From the label that gave use the seriously elusive Thompson Brothers, comes the “other” WMOT “impossible” in the form of a punchy Jazzy Soul groove, from Los Angeles. .

This recording is puzzlingly difficult to acquire, as Eddie Horan and Hadley Murrell handing the distributed to the Philadelphia based label, who were perhaps preoccupied by their biggest hit Fat Larry’s Band - Zoom - because in 1982 the Eddie Horan 45 just fell through the cracks and into the depths of obscurity.

If your bag is exquisitely soulful jazzy strollers, they don’t come finer executed than this “creep under your skin” tune.

I’ve just spun it 4 times in a row, as I too become addicted… if that’s a measure of it’s charm?

The winning bid was £ 61.00

Social source share

8184_1sm.jpg8184_1sm.jpg8184_2sm.jpg
Tommy Payton All The Love I Know C/w I'll Give You A Ride

Oh the mystery and wonderment the double sided USA promo copies have sparked over the decades.

Does it or don’t it exist as a STOCK copy - if it did, we were then left to ponder what the other side sounds like.

Before you today is one 45 that ignited those long debated questions that only more recent times we have been able to answer.

Here is the ultra-rare Tangerine - Tommy Payton STOCK copy boasting a supremely soulful outing on that mysterious flip most have never heard.

It is one of course for the “Soul Essence” minded collector, who seeks both the mint & the impossible whilst seeking out, and securing the very best undiscovered soul offerings…

click this sound file and crumble..

The winning bid was £ 61.00

8195_1sm.jpg8195_1sm.jpg8195_2sm.jpg8195_3sm.jpg8195_4sm.jpg
Jackie Wilson I Get The Sweetest Feeling

Very RARE 1968 Australian Coral press in utterly flawless condition.

near perfect vinyl, flawless labels and a unique cover that just immaculate.

Jackie fans and seekers of the rare Soul albums with adore this tactile offering.

Tracks includes:

1. I Get The Sweetest Feeling
  2. You Brought About A Change In Me
  3. Nothing But Blues Skies
  4. Since you Showed Me How To Be Happy etc. etc.

Hi Fi buffs will also appreciate the consistent high quality of Australian pressing, which by definition are in variably elusive!

The winning bid was £ 128.00

8192_1sm.jpg8192_1sm.jpg8192_2sm.jpg
Drifters You Got To Pay Your Dues C/w Black Silk

Continuing with our weekly quest for listing the real Northern Soul classics in perfect file condition - here is another timeless anthem that has never been introduced to a NS DJ or collector.

Still retains that essential 43 years of microscopic dust that so lovingly falls between the flaps of the sleeve, creating a vivid picture of vinyl virginity.

The growing band of OCD 45 collectors seeking total perfection - 43 years old never been played - soundfile has been lifted from a UK COPY. We’ll let the winner admire the decades of inactivity.. and lovingly wipe the dust off himself…

True vinyl lovers will understand this sentimentality .. for the classic tune in unplayed condition.

The winning bid was £ 143.00

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Evening Prof

Stop beating around the bush now.

Nice

:D

Evening Nice everything on target old man ? have your staff forgiven you for your radiation induced bout of insanity ?.....I knew they would.Did you have a listen to those two discs not my cup of cha at all but it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it mate ? regards Mr.Wayne Frankford.

Social source share

Evening Nice everything on target old man ? have your staff forgiven you for your radiation induced bout of insanity ?.....I knew they would.Did you have a listen to those two discs not my cup of cha at all but it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it mate ? regards Mr.Wayne Frankford.

Not my cup of cha either Mr Frankford - orrible! Not much on this weeks auction that tickles my fancy at all.

I am forgiven :rolleyes: . I didn't actually shout at them just raised my voice and put my foot down. As you know I apologised to them both afterwards - I'm always big enough to say sorry. I took your advice - I had one night booze free and last night I had just two bottles of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout - chilled.

Nice.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Not my cup of cha either Mr Frankford - orrible! Not much on this weeks auction that tickles my fancy at all.

I am forgiven :rolleyes: . I didn't actually shout at them just raised my voice and put my foot down. As you know I apologised to them both afterwards - I'm always big enough to say sorry. I took your advice - I had one night booze free and last night I had just two bottles of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout - chilled.

Nice.

:hatsoff2:

Sir I find the ungentlemanly combination of rich roasted malt stout and a blend of cocoa butters ect a slightly feminine type affair more becoming of a French type lady of the night I hope you wore a pink tie whilst consuming said concoction may I suggest a Pimms and soda and piece of Kendal mint cake next time preferably with a cravat.I myself am having a jolly good swig of last years sloe gin and a mix of Dunhill's early morning pipe with American delight, smoked in a rather splendid "Delux " Greek pipe formed from an ancient piece of Olive wood. regards Clive Anderson.

Social source share

Sir I find the ungentlemanly combination of rich roasted malt stout and a blend of cocoa butters ect a slightly feminine type affair more becoming of a French type lady of the night I hope you wore a pink tie whilst consuming said concoction may I suggest a Pimms and soda and piece of Kendal mint cake next time preferably with a cravat.I myself am having a jolly good swig of last years sloe gin and a mix of Dunhill's early morning pipe with American delight, smoked in a rather splendid "Delux " Greek pipe formed from an ancient piece of Olive wood. regards Clive Anderson.

You bugger Clive!

The stout was your idea! :lol: LOL

Apologies for the off topic posts. However, Mr Manships auction proved to be a rather fruitless affair this week - nothing there of my liking at all. Anyyway, I only buy ten bob proper soul records these days.

Mademoiselle Chocolat

:wub:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

You bugger Clive!

The stout was your idea! :lol: LOL

Apologies for the off topic posts. However, Mr Manships auction proved to be a rather fruitless affair this week - nothing there of my liking at all. Anyyway, I only buy ten bob proper soul records these days.

Mademoiselle Chocolat

:wub:

Sir I meant proper stout from the emerald Isle not some school girls fantasy about Chocolat en bier and by the way there really are some great records out there for ten bob especially if your in possession of a Tardis regards Tom Baker.

Social source share

Well I have to hand it to Johnny for the wealth of new info these auctions provide for me personally. I consider myself well-versed on most 70's and 80's releases but I have never come across either the Tom Green or Eddie Horan records and I definitely would have grabbed them both if I'd have even seen 'em. Both seriously rare IMO. I have access to the WMOT catalogue and that Eddie Horan isn't even logged!

Ian D :)

Social source share

Well I have to hand it to Johnny for the wealth of new info these auctions provide for me personally. I consider myself well-versed on most 70's and 80's releases but I have never come across either the Tom Green or Eddie Horan records and I definitely would have grabbed them both if I'd have even seen 'em. Both seriously rare IMO. I have access to the WMOT catalogue and that Eddie Horan isn't even logged!

Hi Ian, both are known records. "City lights" even got a few plays a few years back at modern do's.....great tune.

Social source share

Would this confirm my long held assumption that Eddie Horan is not actually a tree.

Kegsy

Unfortunately I can't actually confirm that. He could be a tree. I actually signed "Turn My World Back Around" on HMI to London in the mid 70's but sadly never actually met him.

So can't confirm either way. Sorry.

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Hi Ian, both are known records. "City lights" even got a few plays a few years back at modern do's.....great tune.

Known to aficionados but, alas, not to surface scanners like me or even the people who control the catalog Steve......  :lol:

Par for the course mate. That's why we have Johnny M's and Steve G's around to catch what falls through the gaps..... :thumbsup:

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Would this confirm my long held assumption that Eddie Horan is not actually a tree.

Kegsy

Eddie was surely destined to develop into an actual tree ...

... but he went through a wild unruly stage (a bit like you good sir) and so was cut off in his prime.

Social source share

The Frankford Wayne acetate is NOT soul, never mind northern. It is pure pop drivel and how anyone could pay that for it is beyond me. 

Yes some dire records have been played out in the past, but in 2013, i only expect to see good SOUL music promoted not this crap. 

I was tempted to bid on a couple of the good uns' but as usual on JM, too rich for me, back to ebay etc..

Social source share

Was surprised to see you didn't know the Tom Green, knowing what you know Ian, been a play out record for lots of people for 12 or so years, one of those very obscure late Action 45's on the grey label.

Social source share

Except for this - Tune!.......Not sure of 'actual' value - But well worth £415.00 by 'sound alone' - COME ON!!!! OW!!!!!! HUH!!!!!  :yes:  :D 

A copy of Little Stanley went for £220-ish on Ebay just recently. Didn't bother to bid as I expected it to finish much higher.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I picked a copy of the Eddie Horan some years back, about 25p I think. I'm sure I've seen it listed at £200, so the Manship winner probably got that cheap.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was surprised to see you didn't know the Tom Green, knowing what you know Ian, been a play out record for lots of people for 12 or so years, one of those very obscure late Action 45's on the grey label.

Some things just fell outside my field of knowledge mate. I cover a lot of areas. However, I know if I'd have ever seen either of them I would have picked 'em up for sure. I learn something new every day Pete...

Social source share

Is the Elegant Sound of the Royalettes LP really worth £142 :hypo:

Does anyone want mine? (hoping I haven't sold it)

Wait a minute, didn't realise it was on UK MGM.

It is rare - I'd have thought £60 maybe.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!