Rita Lee?

It was Cresa Watson who recorded "Salvation" on Charay...

Rita Lee also recorded it, later release.  As did Robert Thomas.

Cressa Watson is extremely rare.  I only know of two copies of Cressa Watson in this country, Butch and Andy Dyson.  Not saying there isn't anymore like, thats all I know of.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

And the Men from Macon too - I did have all three on the yellow Charay - I seem to recall back in the day there was a view that the later white Charay's were reissues. It has been a long time since that 'day' though.

My Men from Macon and Cresa Watson still had the marks from being 'covered up' when I got them, and certainly pre dated the Rita Lee copies.

Same situation with the Phyliss Brown "I've got something on my mind", though it turned out there were multiple version/issues/labels of that.

Social source share

Cressa Watson is extremely rare.  I only know of two copies of Cressa Watson in this country, Butch and Andy Dyson.  Not saying there isn't anymore like, thats all I know of.

One of them is going to have a copy with green felt tip writing on it and my name scratched around the runout groove then!

It may even have said Rita Lee in felt tip, and the Men from Macon was covered as the Insights by Kev Roberts, who was the first person I heard play it at the Nottingham Palais.

Edited by Rich B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Despite its rarity, that Cresa Watson 45, CHARAY 90, exists with two different b-sides - "Salvation" on one of them and "If You've Stopped Loving Me" on the other. Both feature "You're No Good" as the a-side.

Social source share

I sold my copy of Cressa Watson to Ian Gillabrand back in the 70s.

Richard Searling was still got one, but yeah it's a rare one.

When the Rita Lee version turned up on the white label, mid 70s I thought at the time it was the pressing of C.W.

I have still never heard them side by side, to hear the differance.

It was the C.W. female version that was played bitd.

There were only 3 copies that I knew of back than, so it's stayed rare.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Major Bill should have a book written about him! The stories are legion and he put many things out in the mid 70's due to northern demand.

Just listened to R.T., MfM and C.W. (I recorded everything when I sold up) what a great tune it is. Thanks for reminding me!

Off to track down a Rita Lee recording on you tube now to compare... 

Social source share

Quite a few 45's (over the years ) were put out by Major Bill on Charay ............

.... .https://www.globaldogproductions.info/c/charay.html

.... https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/charay.htm

Some of the 60's Pic & Bill's got UK releases as did a Berry St Stn 45 in the 70's. Pity more of the label's output didn't escape in the UK. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The Men From Macon - Salvation took years to find, It's not even called Salvation on my copy.

The reason why this has been such a Mystery for all these years I suspect is due to It's rarity.

Same as Rita Lee or Cressa Watson

What does it say on your copy Roger? - it definitely said 'Salvation' on mine. Think it was 'Soul of a man' on the flip but not too sure about that.

Social source share

What does it say on your copy Roger? - it definitely said 'Salvation' on mine. Think it was 'Soul of a man' on the flip but not too sure about that.

If your copy said "Salvation" Rich then there must be 5 Different alternate sides for CHARAY 89

My copy says "The Iron Horse", I'll scan the copies that I have and post them up.

Social source share

The Men From Macon - Salvation took years to find, It's not even called Salvation on my copy.

The reason why this has been such a Mystery for all these years I suspect is due to It's rarity.

Same as Rita Lee or Cressa Watson

this was posted on here at some point....

post-225-0-36626400-1374416243_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Anydody want to put a value on the Rita Lee & The Men From Macon "Salvation" in the white lable format as theres a want for the Rita Lee in Wants and ive got a spare of both VG+

Ta

Social source share

nice of you lot (again) to inform me that a record i had years ago and sold for nowt is very rare !, a copy of cressa watson was doing the rounds in derby many years ago. thought it was a boot or whatever version of robert thomas, which incidently my mate got from a soul pack at the time when it was big, i dont think i ever played cressa watson when i had it,SWONS !!!

Social source share

nice of you lot (again) to inform me that a record i had years ago and sold for nowt is very rare !, a copy of cressa watson was doing the rounds in derby many years ago. thought it was a boot or whatever version of robert thomas, which incidently my mate got from a soul pack at the time when it was big, i dont think i ever played cressa watson when i had it,SWONS !!!

I also got the Robert Thomas from a soul pack.

I paid a fair bit more for Cresa Watson, lol.

All three versions played in the North West at the time (mid 70s).

Robert Thomas's version was the most popular, maybe because more DJs had it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!