The Delfonics Hurts So Bad

Peter99

Peter,

I'm only aware of it being released on a Jamaican Ststeside 45 (don't know about price but is rare) +  on the Album  La la la means I love you.

regards

Mark  

Edited by markd
Social source share

Peter,

I'm only aware of it being released on a Jamaican Ststeside 45 (don't know about price but is rare) +  on the Album  La la la means I love you.

regards

Mark  

Thanks Mark

I just found the Jamaican release info. Looks like its the album then.

Cheers buddy.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete

Buy Little Anthony's version,the daddy imo.

Cheers

Martyn

without a doubt L.A. best version  but the delfonics is good

reckon susan rafeys version from 1965 is the best, a great randazzo track.

Cheers everyone. I think I prefer the Delfonics - I didn't know about the other versions.

Learning everyday.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Martyn

I'll go and have a listen to that now.

Thanks

Peter

Pete

If you get the LA version it's has the brilliant "Reputation" on the B side(not sure about the US release but the UK copy has) which used to get quite a few nighters plays back in the day.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Pete

If you get the LA version it's has the brilliant "Reputation" on the B side(not sure about the US release but the UK copy has) which used to get quite a few nighters plays back in the day.

Cheers

I don't know think I know either side Martyn - just played the "Hurt" one on you tube. Will go and play Reputation now.

Peter

Social source share

I don't know think I know either side Martyn - just played the "Hurt" one on you tube. Will go and play Reputation now.

Peter

'Reputation' = BEAUTIFUL! XXXX :yes: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Version wow how good is this despite L

Yep, every time I play it out it gets such a reaction from dancers and collectors alike - It's simply another 'under the radar' tune that got missed - What a tune aye mate? It just builds, and builds, and builds......

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just dug it out ... sounds better on the LP than the post on you tube   

trouble is the delfonics 45 is on crap west indies plastic,,,its the same take tho..little anthony`s version was a top 10 pop hit in the usa in spring 1965..a well known song so bound to be lots of covers

Edited by dave pinch
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This is true Pete, and i agree Little Anthony is the definative and best

version but the Delfonics on this label...all of the traditionalists would orgasm over it .... i mean...jamaican...stateside... white demo.... suits you sir :D , going back to original question, certainly not expensive as i know what i paid for my copy, but rarity... personally i've never seen another one.......

Edited by bri pinch
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

W

Thats a yes from me, It is a totaly awsome production and cannot be matched, This is the one i normaly play out but But the original little anthony vocals are impossible to beat, A later post here mentions Reputation, Should have seen the toe tappers going when i played that earlier in the year at soul in the bowl rushden, the delphonics is a wonderfull 70's feel to one of my favourite songs.

Gotta make a descion sorry i cant there all good in their own way.

Garry.

P.S. Great thread Peter

Social source share

Cheers Pete and Tony. Hard to believe it wasn't massive at any of the big nighters of the '70s. It has all the ingredients.

Difficult to do a bad version of this great song really. 

A couple of versions not mentioned above which I think are particularly good are by Grant Green on Blue Note and Byrdie Green on Prestige.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Incredible song - I used to put the Susan Rafey version on tapes in 1978 and from that I sold 9 copies of the LP on Canadian Verve. I picked them up earlier that year for 50cents each in Toronto. I didn't know at that time there was a US 45.

For anyone who likes the Susan Rafey version have a listen to "Lesley Gore - I won't love you anymore (sorry)" Alan Lorber arranged both tracks and they have a very similar feel

Social source share

Incredible song - I used to put the Susan Rafey version on tapes in 1978 and from that I sold 9 copies of the LP on Canadian Verve. I picked them up earlier that year for 50cents each in Toronto. I didn't know at that time there was a US 45.

For anyone who likes the Susan Rafey version have a listen to "Lesley Gore - I won't love you anymore (sorry)" Alan Lorber arranged both tracks and they have a very similar feel

That's a great track.  I'm a closet Lesley Gore fan.  I recently got everything she ever recorded including a few demos.  Whittled them down to beat ballads, classic girl group sounds and dancers, got rid of all the schmaltz, ended up with a cracking 38 track compilation.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!