Italian Labels - What You Got ?

Chris L

Three Rocky Roberts 45's on Durium + an L.P

'Just Because Of You' pic sleeve...

post-4912-0-82596400-1374002904_thumb.jp

L.P...

post-4912-0-31982600-1374002952_thumb.jp

Two other R.Roberts 45's I have are another great pic sleeve 'Per Conquistare te'...another Northern stomper sung in Italian and 'I'll Never Turn My Back On You'... a full blown Northern outing in English. 

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Here's one that you don't see that often. Also came out with a P/S.

post-1670-0-13679700-1374010404_thumb.jp

Edit: While going through the label scans I kept of records I sold I also found it on french Vogue. Can't remember I ever owned it. Must be an age thing.

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Saint Martin Records - "piu Ritmo Che Blues No 1" - Album

It's the italian album with this on it ! Still looking for it ? g.gif

If you mean "Love, Your Pain Goes Deep", then they do turn up, although I can't remember the title, is it "piu Ritmo Che Blues No 1".

I've never heard of an Italian album with "If That's What You Wanted" on it.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

I'd say it's rarer Chris as have seen far more Bareback US copy's both issues & demo's.

Have also seen a Derby copy with 1976 credited as the year (mine's 1977) but that would pre-date the Bareback copy.

Like the PP Arnold :thumbsup:

I've had a a fair few of these over the years, and thought I was dyslexic.

I have 4 different listings of it in my sales archive, covering many sales. The reason there are different listings is due to varying conditions, writing on label or writing on cover, etc. Most of my copies have been Mint or close to it.

I knew I often had to change the date, thinking I was going mad, however my changes flipped between 1977 and 1978, and I know I've changed it back and forth more than once. Unfortunately, I generally scanned the front cover rather than the record. I only have one scan without cover and that is 1977.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Red Wine by Chianti.........hic!

Seven Souls - I still love you - CBS

Ah yes forgot about that one ! Good call :g:

The Seven Souls: I'm No Stranger (Italian CBS)

seven+souls+ita.JPGThis is the original top side of the Northern Soul monster "I Still Love You". It was written by saxophonist (and lead singer in this occasion) Henry Moore and by guitarist Bob Welch, who later reached success with Fleetwood Mac. An ace double sider, produced by Larry Williams. The Italian copy is highly collectable for the amazing picture of the band.

I'm no stranger

Social source share

On my recent jaunt to Italy I got copies of:

Robert Knight - Love on a mountain top and Everlasting Love on Monument

Eddie Holman - Night to remember / Time will tell on Salsoul

Cherry People - And suddenly MGM

Loleatta Holloway - Hit and run on Salsoul

Originals - Ladies (we need you) on Fantasy all with PCs in Florence

Found a shop in Siena too but never actually found it open.

Social source share

I picked up a few nice 45's in Milan 2/3 years back.

They have a big market on the square outside the front of the main railway station there on a weekend, that's where I got most of them from on that visit.

One of the PC 45's I found was the Hitchhikers ABC single (Kenny Hamber was their lead singer). The group had one LP out on ABC in the US and the label pulled one 45 from it for American release. In the UK (& Germany), a 45 was also released but that featured different cuts off the LP.

Italy went it's own way as well, so the Hitchhikers Italian ABC 45 features different tracks once again.

Can't find any of those Italian 45's at present, so here's a scan of the group's German ABC 45 to be going on with ..........

post-22122-0-54675300-1374220409_thumb.j

Social source share

Back in the 70's & 80's, Oldies Unlimited in Telford used to carry huge amounts of cut-out singles stock.

The guy there would buy up all the 'cheap 45s' being cleared out by UK record companies / national record store chains. As this meant he had 100's of (unsold) copies of non hits, he used to do giant swops with similar record dealers in the US and in Europe.

That way he could reduce his stock in a number of 'unpopular' singles from say 1500 copies to around 1000.

This policy resulted in him ending up with lots of US & Euro pressed 45's and the Euro ones included lots of Italian stuff.

He would put lots of these 45's in his catalogue as individually named items but some soul stuff just went straight into his 'soul packs'.

I used to buy one of his soul packs per year and so I ended up with loads of Italian released 70's soul singles. 

They were mainly major label things on CBS and the like as I recall.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Back in the 70's & 80's, Oldies Unlimited in Telford used to carry huge amounts of cut-out singles stock.

The guy there would buy up all the 'cheap 45s' being cleared out by UK record companies / national record store chains. As this meant he had 100's of (unsold) copies of non hits, he used to do giant swops with similar record dealers in the US and in Europe.

That way he could reduce his stock in a number of 'unpopular' singles from say 1500 copies to around 1000.

This policy resulted in him ending up with lots of US & Euro pressed 45's and the Euro ones included lots of Italian stuff.

He would put lots of these 45's in his catalogue as individually named items but some soul stuff just went straight into his 'soul packs'.

I used to buy one of his soul packs per year and so I ended up with loads of Italian released 70's soul singles. 

They were mainly major label things on CBS and the like as I recall.

BEAT ME TO IT JUST DIGGING MY SILVETTI P/S OUT . SOLD MY LOU RAWLS SYWIGT P/S WHICH I THINK IS AN EXTENDED 45 VERSION, ALSO HAD OJAYS I LOVE MUSIC FROM THE SAME PLACE TOO

KEV

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

Have lovely pic sleeve Ray Charles "What am I living for" / " Tired of my tears" on Italian Probe...great both sides (originally abc I believe, also German Probe).

On the much more modern side, the sublime S-Tone Inc "Time" on Roots (thanks again Brian!) and also Was a Bee feat Mario Bondi "This is what you are" on Schema.

Social source share

Got these

Srutt (had two copies one gone to a good home Brett ), Bobby Byrd forgot about this was cheap too cool pic sleeve , Midnight so nice on Durium was surprised when it turned up pic sleeve misprinted too Italians can't spell Midnight apparently, will scan these if wanted .

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

The San Remo Song Festival was staged in ..... (WAIT FOR IT) ..... San Remo Italy each year through the 60's & 70's (its still going on I think).

Each year, loads of Italian & 'foreign' singers would enter the contest. From the mid 60's through to the 70's, a US soul singer would usually be among the contestants (Wilson Pickett, Dionne Warwick, Timi Yuro, Stevie Wonder, etc.).

Most of the acts had to pick a song from that years selected numbers (so then around 3/4 singers would perform each of those songs) plus they performed a song they selected themselves. The organisation that ran the contest had their own 'in-house' label (RIFI) and would release some of the tracks on that label. THEN, if an artists own label wanted to use one of the tracks, they could also release one (or both).

Biggest problem with most of the soul tracks were that all the songs were performed in Italian, so the titles / words are a bit unusual.

I have the Wilson Pickett effort on the Festivals 'in-house' label + a Stevie Wonder ("Se Tu Ragazza Mia") from the 1969 festival on Spanish Tamla Motown.

The Wilson Pickett track is "Un'Avventura" (ain't got my 45 to hand at present to scan the label) which was also from 69 and it escaped as well on an Atlantic label 45 in both Italy & Spain.

Don't think the San Remo Golden Strings were ever in the contest though !!!  :D

post-22122-0-61577700-1374446536_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Did some checking & it seems that RIFI was quite a big Italian record company.

Most soul stuff they put out though was licensed in from US / UK labels and released under those labels own logos (Tamla Motown, Atlantic, GRC, Contempo, etc.).

Anyone know any other soul cuts that actually escaped on the RIFI label itself ??

post-22122-0-35013400-1374447911_thumb.j

post-22122-0-15592700-1374448491_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!