New Band Worth A Listen

Hi

I just recieved an album from a new band called 'Mayfield'

On listening I think many on here may like their music.

Let me know what you think, Not out and out Northern, but still very Soulful.

There's a link to their music within the Biog, Enjoy!

Mayfield
are a UK based 8 piece band that write, record and perform original songs inspired by the very best Soul/Funk music from the 60's and 70's.
Keep On .....
Biography
Amy Dall (vocals), Adam Bignell (bass) and Dominic Elton (keyborads) had been working together for several years developing many of the early musical ideas. 

To fully exploit and define the overall Mayfield sound, a bigger line-up was required. 

Hence Ryan Crosswell (trumpet) joined the band in 2010, followed by Dominic Channer (drums) and Frankie Lewis (guitar) in 2011. 
Then in 2012, the final line-up was completed with the addition of Chicago born Gloria Miller (vocals) and Olgierd Koszlaga (saxophone).
Description
The musical interests across the band members are wide ranging and as such, their sound crosses over into various genres to include Northern Soul, Modern Soul, Funk, Rare Groove, Latin Jazz and Acid Jazz.

Mayfield will be releasing their first album 'Tempo of Your Soul' on the 30th August 2013. The album will be available on vinyl, CD and iTunes and comprises 12 up-tempo, melodic tracks. To sign up for a copy (£5 only), follow link: https://www.mayfieldtheband.co.uk/tunes.html

New material has since been written for inclusion on a second album planned for 2014/15.

The sound is contemporary since it reflects the current revival in vintage Soul music and the large line up allows the full range of instrumentation to include brass and vintage keyboard sounds (Hammond / Rhodes).

Vocalist Gloria Miller's home town is Chicago, USA - the birth place of Soul music and consequently brings authenticity to the overall Mayfield sound.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good post,nice to see new artists making proper music rather then that awful squeeky voice r+b nu soul rubbish that is being labelled as Soul music :dash2: .

For me tracks1,3.5 were stand out and track 8/9 sounded ok.

Decent debut lp,fair play to artist for bringing it out on vinyl ,hope it goes well. :thumbsup:

Edited by Hammersoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Met Gloria Miller down in Corfe Castle about 18 months ago. She was performing as the singer with a guy who plays keyboards in a pub in the village.

She put on a great show & I chatted with her for a while afterwards.

The group must be good if they had the sense to name themselves after Curtis (M). 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Theyre on the south coast, One of the guys came to port soul when I played last month and we had a good chat at the bar about the music afterwards, nice guy and knows his stuff, big soul fan from northern through to modern. They are named after Curtis and worth checking,

Cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Tim Boogaloo

Got a preview copy on vinyl. Only skipped through it so far but definitely worth a listen. Will peruse it further in the sunshine!!

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Ticks all the boxes for me. Will catch them live when at all possible :thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up!

Social source share

Guest Dominic Elton

Doing any tour dates to promote the album? 

Thanks for asking ... nothing planned as yet but will keep you posted ...

Social source share

Guest nsoulxx

Thanks for asking ... nothing planned as yet but will keep you posted ...

Really good music and let us know about any gigs near Manchester please. If you're still on a budget, us people are nice enough to put you up! !

Social source share

Guest Gloria Miller

Thank for your kind comments and support of our album release. I didn't know that there was such a great Soul culture in the UK until I moved here from Chicago almost 4 years ago. Joining Mayfield has been an amazing experience, and I feel right at home with this music we've created together. KEEP ON!!

Edited by Gloria Miller
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!