Phil Int Musings

What are the hardest records to find on Philadelphia international records, not just money wise.

I think "stop and think"by the trammps on U S is hard, plus some people think the issue of Caroline Crawford "good and plenty",another seems to be the issue of the ebonys "so glad I'm me", anyone?

Social source share

What are the hardest records to find on Philadelphia international records, not just money wise.

I think "stop and think"by the trammps on U S is hard, plus some people think the issue of Caroline Crawford "good and plenty",another seems to be the issue of the ebonys "so glad I'm me", anyone?

Quite ironic Rodders, my bro in law loves Philly, Salsoul etc, I made him a CD yesterday with Trammps "Where do we go from Here" and "I know that feeling" included. We got talking about the Trammps and I told him about "Stop and think" and told him it was becoming quite hard to find and in demand, so I am interested aswell to know, think Chris Anderton had one on his site, probably long gone now

Kev

Social source share

Thought the Trammps on 7" was only a European release, even thought it was allocated a US release number.  Carolyn Crawford's If You Move, You Lose, IMO has always been a hard one to get.  The 7" issue of MSFB Mysteries Of The World on TSOP, with Thank You Miss Scott on the other side is a tough one.  Even though the 12" of McFadden Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now  (The Philadelphia Phillies Version)/The Philadelphia Eagles release on TSOP has different versions on each side, I've never seen a 7" issue of it.

Mr Grimes is your man on this.........

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thought the Trammps on 7" was only a European release, even thought it was allocated a US release number.  Carolyn Crawford's If You Move, You Lose, IMO has always been a hard one to get.  The 7" issue of MSFB Mysteries Of The World, with Thank You Miss Scott on the other side is a tough one.  Even though the 12" of McFadden Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now  (The Philadelphia Phillies Version)/The Philadelphia Eagles release has different versions on each side, I've never seen a 7" issue of it.

Mr Grimes is your man on this.........

Cheers John

Have seen a Germam issue of "Stop and think" so you as usual could be right mate

Kev

Social source share

All of the Caroline Crawford 45's are pretty tough on issue - never had my favourite 'Just got to Be More Careful' on anything but a demo - have the the other two.  

Social source share

I'd probably go for the Ebony's. I used to play it off the album until I finally located the 45. Philly Dave will know the toughest ones.........

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Always thought Teddy Pendergrass - You Can't Hide From Yourself on 7" was one of the toughest to get.
Only got a 7" release in Holland unless you count the recent repress.
Even tougher still in the original picture sleeve.

Social source share

Always thought Bobby Bennett - Days Go By  - tough issue see the demo quite regular.

Cannot understand the rarity tag around Carolyn Crawford - was around as a new release , and somehow has gained a ' mystique rarity ' tag with a certain individual quoting a three figure price tag ..ffs don't make me laugh !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest phillybuster

''Never Repay Your Love'' is easy to get,on ebay all the time.It's the other side ''Never Let You Get Away From Me'' with the 4.35 extended version that is hard.

Edited by phillybuster
Social source share

Always thought Bobby Bennett - Days Go By  - tough issue see the demo quite regular.

Cannot understand the rarity tag around Carolyn Crawford - was around as a new release , and somehow has gained a ' mystique rarity ' tag with a certain individual quoting a three figure price tag ..ffs don't make me laugh !!

Of course it was around as a new release. I guess all records were - I got 'Good and Plenty' on issue then but I only picked up a demo of JGTBMC at the time - would like an issue but I'm not interested in any rarity status so would only pay a modest amount.  But if you look at ebay now all are mono/stereo demos as are the copies of Good & Plenty

I got my Bobby Bennett issue off Ian Clark at Soul Essence for £15 - he had multiple copies for a few years.

Social source share

''Never Repay Your Love'' is easy to get,on ebay all the time.It's the other side ''Never Let You Get Away From Me'' with the 4.35 extended version that is hard.

How does that work out then, I mean if its the flipside how is it rarer? Or are you talking about a different release with a long version ???

Cheers Paul

Social source share

How does that work out then, I mean if its the flipside how is it rarer? Or are you talking about a different release with a long version ???

Cheers Paul

Think he means that the issue with 'Never Let You Get Away From Me' is rare - unsually for a 45 it is longer than the LP take.  If you just want 'Never Repay My Love' it is available cheaply as a Mono/stereo demo.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Think he means that the issue with 'Never Let You Get Away From Me' is rare - unsually for a 45 it is longer than the LP take.  If you just want 'Never Repay My Love' it is available cheaply as a Mono/stereo demo.

Thats the one I have Mike and love it, better record still by him (on the album aswell) in my opinion is "I,m so much in love with you" for me, the best track on the album

Kev

Social source share

Oh right. I meant the issue but had forgotton the title of the flip to mention it

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Thanks for the great response can always count on the soul source boys,I have most of these, I see there is a people's choice 12" that commands 3 figures but is easily obtained on 7", and what about lps? The anthony white isn't as rare as people think I've seen loads but always £50+,steep methink, there's never really been a price range on philly soul until now, if you want to hear great philly look no further than Ian dewhirst "harmless" output last year of "Philadelphia int' 40th" boxset, best all time comp!.

I also WISH someone would release Tim mccalister s mix of "be for real" on 12' and lastly what of dick jensons "new York" for availability since mr remarking plugged it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the great response can always count on the soul source boys,I have most of these, I see there is a people's choice 12" that commands 3 figures but is easily obtained on 7", and what about lps? The anthony white isn't as rare as people think I've seen loads but always £50+,steep methink, there's never really been a price range on philly soul until now, if you want to hear great philly look no further than Ian dewhirst "harmless" output last year of "Philadelphia int' 40th" boxset, best all time comp!.

I also WISH someone would release Tim mccalister s mix of "be for real" on 12' and lastly what of dick jensons "new York" for availability since mr remarking plugged it.

LP, s, are you allowed to swear on here :lol: seriously though, can't really think of any rare one's, but hey, thank the lord they all seem to be accessible cos any Harold Melvin or Ojays set on the label are essential for the REAL soul lover, as mentioned, the Anthony White is brill aswell :thumbsup:

Kev

Social source share

Actually whilst we're on the subject of PIR rarities, the whole PIR situation has recently changed as PIR have now sold the post '76 PIR catalogue to Sony Music.

I'm really happy that Harmless managed to get the 3 key PIR releases out there last year - Philadelphia International: The Tom Moulton Remixes is Harmless' biggest-selling CD in the catalogue, the 10CD PIR box set sales have been phenomenal - it's Demon's biggest ever box set by a large margin and the PIR Re-Edits package sells week in, week out. I would implore anyone who doesn't have the above releases to grab 'em.

All future PIR packages will be via Sony Music.

A brilliant catalogue and it's been an absolute pleasure to work with Kenny, Leon, Chuck, Phil and the PIR operation. I wish them all the best for the future!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hello Rodders.....

I'm sticking my neck out here but the U.S. Trammps Stop And Think ( scheduled for release on Golden Fleece) don't exist.... As John Reed said earlier it's a European only 45(I think Dutch and German, maybe French as well ).... I looked for the US one for 25 plus years. I think it would have shown up by now dont you !

The Tim Mcalistair remix of Be For Real is on a US 12"... Dunno whether it's legal or not though.

The Ebonys mentioned earlier is reasonably tough on 45.

I don't think any Philly Int 45s are that tough though in the big picture of things. The Bobby Bennett issue was around a few years back, my mate had about 2-300 copies..... So it ain't that rare trust me. Pretty good though.

The issues of Anthony White Hey Baby seem much rarer than the promo's.

Keep looking though, they all turn up eventually,

Best, Ivor

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Thanks Ivor I actually do have the trammps it's on a German import,and only have the ebonys on demo, missed out on issue recently.

Also have "hey baby" on issue. Thanks for info on tim mccalister, do you know if billy Paul's "the whole towns talking got a U S release only find it on UK . Ta

Social source share

Hi Rodders I think the Tim McCalister did get a release on 12" i,m sure not that long ago it was available from Juno records pretty cheap and was on  McDonalds lable if memory serves me right, take a look m8 but if your stuck pm me and i,ll sort you out with a copy, atb Charlie

Social source share

Hi Rodders I think the Tim McCalister did get a release on 12" i,m sure not that long ago it was available from Juno records pretty cheap and was on McDonalds lable if memory serves me right, take a look m8 but if your stuck pm me and i,ll sort you out with a copy, atb Charlie

And of course you can also get the 100% legal version on Philadelphia International: The Re-Edits. Personally approved by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff.

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Rodders I think the Tim McCalister did get a release on 12" i,m sure not that long ago it was available from Juno records pretty cheap and was on  McDonalds lable if memory serves me right, take a look m8 but if your stuck pm me and i,ll sort you out with a copy, atb Charlie

Social source share

Just dug this 1 out 

Harold Melvin & the bluenotes ft Theodore Pendergrass - Don't leave me this way/To be free to be who we are

PIR 4909  Made in Ireland (same cat number as in uk )

sorry i can't do scans 

I wonder how many PIR where issued in Ireland ? i've never seen anymore than the 1 i got

Edited by DjAKA
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!