Philly/salsoul/east/west Coast/detroit Retro Soul

Guest Carl Dixon

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

In light of the recent inclusion of my coproduction with Bobby Eli 'Soul Recession' by Double Exposure on the new Philly Re Grooved CD - The Tom Moulton Remixes, I thought I would share some of my new endeavours which are in demo form right now and are work in progress. Songs start somewhere, like 'Soul Recession' did. That started here in London in 2007. I cancelled my AVC pension contributions because there was no money in it, and put the money into a pot to go to Detroit and Philly to record. I mentioned to Bobby in passing that I think we were heading for a major recession and the song was born. Recorded in his studio in 2008, we released 8 mixes in 2009 and a couple of weeks ago Tom Moultons new remix is now featured on the Philly re-grooved afffair, which is a thrill. It's a bonus track accompanying some of the finest Philly cuts from the 1970's which inspired me to write songs.

Anyway here are a couple of links:

'Latte straight' - https://soundcloud.com/55motown/latte-straight-16

version 16 of another east coast Salsoul sort of affair. Philly drums being done now on the track hopefully! Improved orchestration and counter melodies. 

'A little of the big stuff' - 

New stereo Philly drums being done and lyrics now complete with a view to vocals at some stage. This is another east coast style mid 70's number.

'Caesars reply' - mid 70's Philly style. Not uploaded this one yet. Philly drums being done at present, so will be available soon. If I can nail the Philly drums on the above, I will be entering uncharted territory with my productions. If I can do the vocals on any song myself, up a level too.

"Libby, let's leave it at that' - demo not quite available yet. This is a Beach Boys/Four Seasons style 1965 number which is ready to do the vocals on. So, I am looking for a 4/5 part harmony west coast style barber shop quartet to get cracking on it. I could do it here and have contacts, so I need to get my act together. 

Enjoy....remember they are work in progress.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Carl Dixon

Thank Peter lol! I heard somebody ask for it at a coffee bar somewhere. I just thought it was modern enough to suit a new song. I should really call it 'milky coffee' because that's what I was brought up with. 'Latte Breeze' does have a nice ring....you never know! 

Social source share

Thank Peter lol! I heard somebody ask for it at a coffee bar somewhere. I just thought it was modern enough to suit a new song. I should really call it 'milky coffee' because that's what I was brought up with. 'Latte Breeze' does have a nice ring....you never know! 

Milky coffee - me too, a treat from me mam of an evening. I even liked the skin on top!

Keep going with yer work mate - it's a nice interest and very worthwhile.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thank you Peter...I will keep it up. Labour of love I guess. I just updated 'Clearly' to version 8 above....I must really get some tambourine and a wah wah on there too.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Thanks Peter....

Well, I have been working on 'Guess he's just an old friend' written in 2002, with a view to releasing one day. Here are the updated vocal and instrumental versions. Yes, I know its a little poppy and has corny lyrics...but's thats me, I love beaujolais, milk chocolate and .....trying!

Vocal (without the hideous backing vocals from before)

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/guess-hes-just-an-old-friend-3

Still loads to do on it, so with this,'Latte straight', 'Clearly', 'Libby, let's leave it at that' and 'Caesars reply'..I have my work cut out.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Just updated the last vocal version above (Voc 2). Tightened up the vocals, more strings, vibes, adjusted the horns.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

If anybody is interested, here is teaser number 2. Congas replaced with bongos and a little level tweaking. This version with the Philly drums especially commissioned for the track, doubled up on the bass and tweaked a few segments here and there: 

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/latte-straight-teaser-2

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Nobody said it would be easy writing songs today, with a retro flavour. But.. I try. I just want the melody back again and a familiar groove. Something singers and musicians can play that 'move' people etc. Anyway, this is one of my latest demo releases - a Beach Boys style 1965 number! Next step is to contact Brian Wilson and see if he is remotely interested. I was looking for that Brian Wilson wants a Phil Spector sound scenario:

https://soundcloud.com/55motown/libby-lets-leave-it-at-that

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Ok, Just uploaded version 20 of 'Latte Straight'. Still trying to maintain that analogue feel. These are real Philly drums too recorded at Bobby Eli's studio....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

And...here is another demo I have just synced up with the specifically commissioned drums from Philly called  'Caesar's reply' a Salsoul sort of effort!

Still loads to do on it and it has that 'over produced' sound lol!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert