Maurice Williams-What Can A Man Do

Guest CARL D

Guest CARL D

Hi there. Was Maurice Williams-What Can a Man Do, actually released on a 45? I know it's on the Rare Soul Uncovered comp', but haven't seen it on 45. Thanks, Carl.

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Unreleased acetate, I think - I recall Pat Brady playing it at Stafford. Very credible version by Ben E. King on Atco, shouldn't set you back much

Des

I bought an acetate of this at the 100 club in the 80's off of Guy H, whilst looking through some other 45's on the stage it was pinched, very dissapointed i was too.

Edited by philb
Social source share

I bought an acetate of Sam in the early to mid nineties. Think it was hand written title but no artist credited, although I knew it was Maurice Williams. I can't remember the label, but I think it was a well know acetate label in the way that Virtue, Bell Sound or Abtone are well known.

Actually, think it may have been Abtone.

Cheers

Mick

Just checked - it's Beltone

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Guest CARL D

Thanks for the info' everyone. Would u b interested in selling Mick? Cheers, Carl.

I bought an acetate of Sam in the early to mid nineties. Think it was hand written title but no artist credited, although I knew it was Maurice Williams. I can't remember the label, but I think it was a well know acetate label in the way that Virtue, Bell Sound or Abtone are well known.

Actually, think it may have been Abtone.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Hi there. Was Maurice Williams-What Can a Man Do, actually released on a 45? I know it's on the Rare Soul Uncovered comp',

This track was on the same tapes as his SeaHorn tracks. Great track.

Social source share

I might be a bit dim here Des, but why would an unreleased acetate of a good unissued song not set anybody back much? Ady

Think Des meant the Ben E. King version Ady.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

To confuse things further I've got a publisher's acetate of Ben E King's version (at least I think I have, I'd better play it and see if it's Maurice!)

Maurice or Ben.E...and can I have it :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert