Ewf

This spell of fine weather got me playing through my earth wind and fire albums, highlights, so far, for me are 'cant hide your love' and 'evil', 'Zanzibar' just wondered if there any other fans on here? what are your personal favorite tracks/ albums.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Paul

A talented band and That's The Way Of The World was a great LP which I haven't heard for years. 'All About Love' was a nice ballad on that album.

But for me it all started to go downhill after producer Charles Stepney died and Maurice White was left to his own devices.

In fact it was during that period that I became a manic depressive and my therapist said it might have been caused by too much exposure to 'Boogie Wonderland'.

Oh no I've got that song in my head again now.

:dash2:

Social source share

awesome group, the live visual thing was spectacular to say the least....so much so, that when they arrived in the u.k. on their world tour 79, i went to see them at bingley hall stafford...thursday evening it was, you didnt have to have tickets in those days...totally gobsmacked by their presence...levitation, exploding pyramids...magical as was the music...i couldn't believe it.......so i went back on the friday night to experience it all over again! :rofl: first track i ever remember being played out was "happy feeling"...they sure gave that...

• Helpful 3
Social source share

awesome group, the live visual thing was spectacular to say the least....so much so, that when they arrived in the u.k. on their world tour 79, i went to see them at bingley hall stafford...thursday evening it was, you didnt have to have tickets in those days...totally gobsmacked by their presence...levitation, exploding pyramids...magical as was the music...i couldn't believe it.......so i went back on the friday night to experience it all over again! :rofl: first track i ever remember being played out was "happy feeling"...they sure gave that...

I went to Bingley Hall that night , what a night!! Lost a mate of mine who was pissed and eventually saw him up in the gods with one of the Lighting Technicians .

Mind blowing band and fantastic stage act as you say. :yes:

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was also at Bingley hall with a heavily pregnant wife ,Alan and Judi Pollard exploding pyramids levitating bass player just spectacular . probbably one of the greatest live shows ever . one of my all time favorite bands , they had it all

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One of the very best soul groups of the 70's. I loved (& bought) every track that put out back then.

As already stated, their live shows were spectacular events.

Here's a (later) clip that features 3 of their best outings (you can ignore the first 45 seconds of it) ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfagqCcyE6g

THEN OF COURSE, there was also Frankie Beverly & Maze to catch live during that era !!!

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Rotherham memories:

....also there's an instrumental called 'Departure' which when I happened on it brought me to tears (and I don't say that often).

I've just looked on YT and found it, it wasn't there last time I looked - and reading why it was written I can see why the love went into it:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rotherham memories:

....also there's an instrumental called 'Departure' which when I happened on it brought me to tears (and I don't say that often).

I've just looked on YT and found it, it wasn't there last time I looked - and reading why it was written I can see why the love went into it:

I believe that "Departure" was a tribute to Charles Stepney 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A talented band and That's The Way Of The World was a great LP which I haven't heard for years. 'All About Love' was a nice ballad on that album.

But for me it all started to go downhill after producer Charles Stepney died and Maurice White was left to his own devices.

In fact it was during that period that I became a manic depressive and my therapist said it might have been caused by too much exposure to 'Boogie Wonderland'.

Oh no I've got that song in my head again now.

:dash2:

Terrorise everyone that comes round our house with this LP, not a bad track on it.................. Still got a soft spot for 'Biyo' off the following LP, sunny days spent inside at Birmingham Lacarno...........

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Really glad I posted this thread, grt to here some of the anecdotes and picks from you guys, hope some younger/ unenlightened soulsourcers pick it up and get turned onto what is as someone else put it the original soul supergroup. 

Social source share

I saw them at Wembley Arena in about 1988. Great show.

I’m surprised we haven’t had one comment of disco crap yet. A lot of people dismiss them based on what they know of their hits. Even I’m sick of Boogie Wonderland. But there’s so much great material out there. Expansion released an excellent CD last year with stuff they produced for other artists.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Going even further back into the mists of time, check out some of their stuff when they were The Salty Peppers, early members were Sherry Scott, Yackov Ben, Don Whitehead and Wade Flemons and later his brother Verdine White. They recorded two 45's for Capitol, then with their move to the West Coast and the contract with Warner Brothers, they changed their name to EWF

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Played this off a 12" a few years ago at the Bamberg Weekender as my final track in the modern room, place went boom

how many super obscure groups 70's and 80's  took there cue from this act. So many rare modern tracks are just a pale imitation of EWF's blueprint sound.

Social source share

some collectors stuff amongst their back catalogue as well, in particular the warner brothers lps. they really delighted in experimenting with musical styles, lurching from ballads, to shufflers, disco, jazz funk and those wonderfully weird 30-60 second instrumental interludes. they were a tour de force when pitted against that other big "battle of the bands" group, WAR...think it was either B & S or BLACK ECHOES that touted that front page around 77/78. they were in good company then though with the likes of CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR,BRASS CONSTRUCTION etc...big bands rule ok?

Social source share

how many super obscure groups 70's and 80's  took there cue from this act. So many rare modern tracks are just a pale imitation of EWF's blueprint sound.

Close your eyes and listen to The Billion Dollar Band LP , carbon copy of the EWF sound

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Going even further back into the mists of time, check out some of their stuff when they were The Salty Peppers, early members were Sherry Scott, Yackov Ben, Don Whitehead and Wade Flemons and later his brother Verdine White. They recorded two 45's for Capitol, then with their move to the West Coast and the contract with Warner Brothers, they changed their name to EWF

hoped someone would put soemthing on about there early incarnations, I have an early single on WB? but its not grt to my memory and I've heard the amazing 'sweetback' soundtrack but thats as far as I've gone into their early history. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hoped someone would put soemthing on about there early incarnations, I have an early single on WB? but its not grt to my memory and I've heard the amazing 'sweetback' soundtrack but thats as far as I've gone into their early history. 

There are even earlier connection, but would need Bob A (Boba) to give us the skinny on that.............

Social source share

I worked with a guy who used to work at Earls Court /Olympia and other venues moving the sound gear about. He was into Rock but said best Soul band was Earth Wind and fire,he said when the show started,they came down in a spaceship which was totally differant/Original to any other artist at the time. He said visually best band he ever seen and that`s saying something from him.

They were one of the 1st soul bands i got into when i was into Soul/Disco in 78/79,sadly sold all there lp`s in mid 80`s for a night out i think lol.

Good news i took a guy home one night in the cab and he was a big soul fan,sadly he never had the money for the fair so paid me in Earth,Wind,and fire lps so wasn`t all bad.

:wicked:  :lol: .

This is proper with strings and things,listen to whole track from last days and time lp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGSJ8nPA2kk

Edited by Hammersoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I worked with a guy who used to work at Earls Court /Olympia and other venues moving the sound gear about. He was into Rock but said best Soul band was Earth Wind and fire,he said when the show started,they came down in a spaceship which was totally differant/Original to any other artist at the time. He said visually best band he ever seen and that`s saying something from him.

They were one of the 1st soul bands i got into when i was into Soul/Disco in 78/79,sadly sold all there lp`s in mid 80`s for a night out i think lol.

Good news i took a guy home one night in the cab and he was a big soul fan,sadly he never had the money for the fair so paid me in Earth,Wind,and fire lps so wasn`t all bad.

:wicked:  :lol: .

This is proper with strings and things,listen to whole track from last days and time lp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGSJ8nPA2kk

Love that Wayne, new to me, big fan of that 70's big group sound, that particular track reminded me very much of The New Birth, other similar groups include Sound Experience, 9th Creation and Billion Dollar Band

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Saw them in Tampa with Chicago a few years ago at an outside arena.

Great live act.

Given the respective group members of each band at that gig, when they played together there must have been 30 of em stage!!

Social source share

Love that Wayne, new to me, big fan of that 70's big group sound, that particular track reminded me very much of The New Birth, other similar groups include Sound Experience, 9th Creation and Billion Dollar Band

Kev

There`s other good tracks on that lp Kev. :thumbsup:   All them other groups you mention Kev are really good especially 9th Creation.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, I got into the Sweet Sweetback soundtrack before I even realised it was EW&F who were providing all the music.

Social source share

i was there as well !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are even earlier connection, but would need Bob A (Boba) to give us the skinny on that.............

the salty peppers were pretty much the first official incarnation of the group but they evolved out of the pharoahs.

i posted here that i met sherry scott like a couple of months ago, super super nice lady, she was actually going up to the dance show after me to promote some new house single

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!