Bobby Womack At Glastonbury

Seano

Heard on the radio and confirmed in Radio Times that Bobby Womack is performing at Glastonbury on Sunday. We've been pestering our niece to make sure to see him as she's there for the weekend.

Be great if he got on stage with the Stones and performed "It's all over now" on Saturday!

Sorry if anyone's posted about this, had a look around and couldn't see any threads.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bobby W Should be good, looking forward to that.

Love reading the banners at Glasto, seen one the other year, said "Golf Sale (and right arrow)" right in the middle of the crowd, genius.

On a down note, can't stand girls that sit on their boyfriends shoulders, mouthing lyrics.........talk about attention seeking..........It's probably just me, I'm a bit wierd about some things.

:)

P.s. This weekend mostly looking forward to Sheffield's own Arctic Monkeys, Rodriguez also Seasick Steve, oh and Elvis Costello should be good live too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

taking nothing away from B.W.

But love the history of british boys born in the 40's learning their guitars in the 50's listening to American RnB

full credit I say,

I ask one question, would that have been anyone of us?

Long live the Stones

Social source share

Bobby W Should be good, looking forward to that.

Love reading the banners at Glasto, seen one the other year, said "Golf Sale (and right arrow)" right in the middle of the crowd, genius.

On a down note, can't stand girls that sit on their boyfriends shoulders, mouthing lyrics.........talk about attention seeking..........It's probably just me, I'm a bit wierd about some things.

:)

P.s. This weekend mostly looking forward to Sheffield's own Arctic Monkeys, Rodriguez also Seasick Steve, oh and Elvis Costello should be good live too.

Not weird at all mate. I feel exactly the same.

For some reason, going to a concert seems to turn some people into knobs !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

taking nothing away from B.W.

But love the history of british boys born in the 40's learning their guitars in the 50's listening to American RnB

full credit I say,

I ask one question, would that have been anyone of us?

Long live the Stones

Well said.......got "Ronnie" when it came out but haven't read "Keif's" book yet..........Ronnie spent a fair bit of time with Bobby when they were both in self-destruct mode in LA in the 80's........as it turns out.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To be fair, it's £200 for a weekend ticket for this weekend, it will cost you £150 for the cheapest Stones seats on upcoming concerts in the summer, so really, you are quids in at Glastonbury if you get to see The Stones, so that can't be bad.  :thumbsup:

However, you are not up to your tits in mud if you go to a dedicated concert !!!!

Social source share

.....never been to Glasto'........but went to the last "proper" summer solstice festival at Stone Henge in '84......stood out like a sore thumb amongst all the new age teepee folk as I appeared to be the only person to have a wash and clean my teeth at the stand-pipe each morning.

....Hawk Wind and King Sunny A'Dae (spelling?) were the only bands I'd heard of but it was the maddest thing I've ever experienced

Social source share

Was looking at the line up thats on BBC 3 and 4 tonight and I have to say there's not a single act I'd have any interest in watching.

I recorded the Isle of Wight festival last week off Sky Arts and I fast forwarded 4 hours worth of programming, I didn't get to see the 'older' acts on the third day but the first 2 days were diabolical.

Social source share

Well said.......got "Ronnie" when it came out but haven't read "Keif's" book yet..........Ronnie spent a fair bit of time with Bobby when they were both in self-destruct mode in LA in the 80's........as it turns out.

ronnie wood designed the cover for bobby womacks "save the children" album

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My sister finally got me into the Stones, definitely some great music, but if they were up against Bobby Womack on different stages at the same time it would be Womack every time for me.

Edited by seano
Social source share

Chic were fantastic, really proffessional. Nile Rodgers cool as f**k. Female vocalists were spot on, and the Glastonbury crowd loved them. Great set from them :-)

They are great vocalists Steve, that Kimberly Davis has got some pipes, and I think the other one is Sylver Logan Sharp.......I'm hoping he will announce any time now! !

Cheers

Mark R

Social source share

Sounded pretty tight!  Just 6 musicians for the whole 'Chic' sound.  Nile on rhythm/ lead guitar, no other backing geetars required!   And a few popular tracks from his producing days: Madonna's Like a Virgin, Bowies's 'Lets Dance'..

Nile's on fire at the moment - what with Daft Punk's recent monster!  Great stuff.  :thumbup:

Edited by dave2
Social source share

Bobby Womack is due on the West Holts stage at 9.30pm.

Just listened to John Humphries interviewing Mick Jagger on Radio 4; sounded good, should be a great show tonight for everyone who's there.

Edited by seano
Social source share

Hope Portishead are on the Beeb, absolutely love them, also quite like Foals, they are on in a bit.

Aid, dunno if you caught them but Portishead were featured after the Arctic Monkeys ( who I thought were brilliant btw ) Featured were Wandering Star, Machine Gun and Glory Box. I saw them at Glasto in 95 so their set then was basically the Dummy album. Probably the best live gig I've been at. 

Edited by autumnstoned
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Bobby Womack is due on the West Holts stage at 9.30pm.

Just listened to John Humphries interviewing Mick Jagger on Radio 4; sounded good, should be a great show tonight for everyone who's there.

I should have added that it's Sunday night he's on.

Social source share

Aid, dunno if you caught them but Portishead were featured after the Arctic Monkeys ( who I thought were brilliant btw ) Featured were Wandering Star, Machine Gun and Glory Box. I saw them at Glasto in 95 so their set then was basically the Dummy album. Probably the best live gig I've been at.

Got it all recorded autumn.

Will catch up with it mate.

Social source share

I thought Chic were great!

The female singer on the right was just OK imho but Kimberley Davis was bloody fantastic!

Really good set and the timing of when they went into Bowie's 'Let's Dance' was superb. One of the few times i wished I was in the crowd at that time!

"oh what wow"!

it would be worth wadding through all the beastly mud and oomska without wellingtons to have seen that.

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

wherever their playin, it,d be a crackin after party to attend.As for singing , I,ts all over now, I prefer the bobbetttes version. no offence lads.

Social source share

as much respect as for him as an artist and songwriter, the guy just cant sing anymore, imho, I saw him around 10 years ago and he could'nt then, I was really disapointed. And some of the new material is great but capturing it live isnt like cutting it in a studio. As for the stones, again mucho respect but I find it all a little desperrate really. I'd sooner be catching some new talent.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A claim to fame indeed.

I presume Macca is 'McManus' then.

Ever meet his Mrs?

She can croon a bit too.

You presume right, Sir.

His missus looks great on her last album cover, doesn't she? Very foxy.

Saw her and EC  live in Santiago de Compostela a couple of years back.

The EC cousin bit came from my dear Nan in the late 70s.

She'd read somewhere that he was Ross McManus's 'boy' and told me "Ross's daddy was a cousin of your Grandad's

from Irvinestown, so he was".

I saw him in the the early 80s with The Pogues and again at Glastonbury in 1989/90

I've since seen him twice over here but have always chickened out on

approaching him with the long lost cousin story, in spite of being egged on by mates/girlfriends over the years.

I do like to shout "primo mío, te quiero" (my cousin, I love you) during the gigs though.  :lol: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

chic brilliant on friday, great atmosphere and nile rogers on the money. stones can only be the stones, nothin' more, nothin' less.....thought they might have done jumpin' jack flash but there you go, jagger absolutely energy driven..hope i've got that much enthusiasm in 14 years time! :lol:  nice to see elvis costello as well. so to bobby...people's voices do go in time and it don't help if they've had any involvement with the darker side of life ( drugs, booze etc. ) he ain't no different from the vast majority, fact is he's still kickin' and a nod from the organizers that he still carries gravitas...if he get's it on, all well and good. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought Chic were great!

The female singer on the right was just OK imho but Kimberley Davis was bloody fantastic!

Really good set and the timing of when they went into Bowie's 'Let's Dance' was superb. One of the few times i wished I was in the crowd at that time!

So did I Steve - first time I'd heard Kimberley Davis - what a voice :thumbup:

Shame Bernie Edwards no longer with us, would have loved to have seen the original line up perform!

Social source share

They kicked off with Jumpin' Jack Flash.

well,...how come i missed that?, i watched the broadcast from 10.30 on bbc2 and the first thing i heard was  miss you.....i know we can't have it all, but claiming to broadcast it live and then showing an obvious recording ( well it looked like it was recorded to  me ) is taking the proverbial....GGGGGRRRRRRR!! :dash2: apart from that gripe, they were great.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!