New To The Scene (Relatively), So Come Help Me

Guest Soulsurfer

Guest Soulsurfer

Hello everyone! I'm Liam and I'm in my mid 20s. Recently, though I'm a music lover of many genres, I'm finding myself more and more drawn to this scene..... there's just something about this music! I do have a little bit of pedigree, my old man has been a stalwart on the scene for many years, as have most of his close friends - through whom I have heard some fantastic sounds! 

Recently I was given the privilege of being allowed a 30 minute set at a funk & soul night in York - 'melting pot' which I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed - to the point it has started me on the way to building up a modest collection of 45s that really hit my spot!

So far I have managed to get my hands on:

Spyder Turner - I Cant Take It Anymore/Dont Hold Back - MGM

Little Richard - Hurry Sundown/I Don't Want To Discuss It - Okeh Demo

Junior Walker - Peace & Understanding - Soul Demo

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over/Look Over Your Shoulder - Wand

JJ Barnes - Say It/Deeper In Love - Ric-Tic

Gloria Taylor - You Got To Pay The Price/Loving You - Silver Fox

Soul Brothers Six - I'll Be Loving You/Some Kind Of Wonderful - Atlantic

Tony Clarke - Landslide/The Entertainer - Chess

Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor/No Room To Cry - Charger

I also got some other bits, but nothing worth shouting about! 

Anyway, to my question - most of these records have cost me a tenner or less, so really I'm after direction to more of the same! I've gone through the Kev Roberts top 500 and picked out some things I like the look of, but what are your opinions on great, undervalued records?

TELL ME WHERE TO SPEND MY MONEY!!!!

:)

Social source share

Hello everyone! I'm Liam and I'm in my mid 20s. Recently, though I'm a music lover of many genres, I'm finding myself more and more drawn to this scene..... there's just something about this music! I do have a little bit of pedigree, my old man has been a stalwart on the scene for many years, as have most of his close friends - through whom I have heard some fantastic sounds! 

Recently I was given the privilege of being allowed a 30 minute set at a funk & soul night in York - 'melting pot' which I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed - to the point it has started me on the way to building up a modest collection of 45s that really hit my spot!

So far I have managed to get my hands on:

Spyder Turner - I Cant Take It Anymore/Dont Hold Back - MGM

Little Richard - Hurry Sundown/I Don't Want To Discuss It - Okeh Demo

Junior Walker - Peace & Understanding - Soul Demo

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over/Look Over Your Shoulder - Wand

JJ Barnes - Say It/Deeper In Love - Ric-Tic

Gloria Taylor - You Got To Pay The Price/Loving You - Silver Fox

Soul Brothers Six - I'll Be Loving You/Some Kind Of Wonderful - Atlantic

Tony Clarke - Landslide/The Entertainer - Chess

Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor/No Room To Cry - Charger

I also got some other bits, but nothing worth shouting about! 

Anyway, to my question - most of these records have cost me a tenner or less, so really I'm after direction to more of the same! I've gone through the Kev Roberts top 500 and picked out some things I like the look of, but what are your opinions on great, undervalued records?

TELL ME WHERE TO SPEND MY MONEY!!!!

:)

Hi Liam

Welcome to SS.

Get yersen some 70's and modern and watch out for the soul police!

:D

Peter

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

Many thanks Peter! I'm not a snob, I'll give anything a listen! Thats te beauty of music - even if you listen to something shit, theres always some thing good just around the corner!

Liam

Social source share

There's a thread on here at the moment Liam detailing great records for about a fiver, some good tracks on their. Also worth looking at the soul soure record club thread. Happy hunting, it's fun.

Edited by markd
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

Liam I just stuck a list up of about 100 singles, most of them at least half 'book price'.

You never know...

Where will I find this list mate? 

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

There's a thread on here at the moment Liam detailing great records for about a fiver, some good tracks on their. Also worth looking at the soul soure record club thread. Happy hunting, it's fun.

I did have a quick look at that the other day, currently going through it at the moment with the aid of youtube!

Social source share

Have More Time - Marvin Smith - Brunswick

Sweet Darling/ Help Yourself - Billy Butler - Brunswick

Hope We Have - The Artistics - Brunswick

I Don't Want To Lose You Now - Jackie Wilson - Brunswick

I've Lost You - Jackie Wilson - Brunswick

Try them for starters, all relatively cheap in price, but absolutely essential Northern Soul in my opinion!

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

Try them for starters, all relatively cheap in price, but absolutely essential Northern Soul in my opinion!

Many thanks! on eBay as we type!

Social source share

the record collecting scene is a goldmine to youngsters......deja vu isn't it?...just like it was back in our day...it's all new and wonderous,...just a pity that those wonderful little junk shops and indie record shops we used to frequent are either extinct or in a minority.....liam, you'll want to check out record fairs as well, probably the next live alternative to whats awash on here.

Social source share

The best advice I can offer here is to say that, by this thread and the other "best sounds for a fiver" thread, you can see that there's so many great (and often underplayed) sounds that will really turn some heads and move some feet to be had for the price of a cheap lunch. Don't be fooled into thinking you need only the top rare biggies to get a good floor going. Happy digging! 

Edited by AndreasB
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

Many thanks! on eBay as we type!

This stuff is perfect. Great sounds.

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

You really need to get yourself a copy of Jimmy Robins - I Can't Please You - Jerhart

Stunning, Raw,Classy,Underrated, Powerful Northern Soul in the first degree!

This is Terrific.

Social source share

Anyway you don't have to go spending hundreds on originals, I replaced all my originals with reissues from Outta Sight, really good lookalike labels, perfect quality sound, and all legal as well.  I bought 70 in one go.  Absolutely chuffed with them.  

And another way of getting great classic records cheaply is to buy them on their UK 70's release, there are at least 100 decent titles you could collect.

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

SPYDER TURNER - I CAN'T MAKE IT ANYMORE...all-time cheapie ( well bit more than a fiver ) and over here for prestatyn next march...one of the best terra shirma recordings ever?

I actually bought that last night on evilbay, believe it or not!

Social source share

SPYDER TURNER - I CAN'T MAKE IT ANYMORE...all-time cheapie ( well bit more than a fiver ) and over here for prestatyn next march...one of the best terra shirma recordings ever?

Indeed it is. One of my offerings in the SS Record of the Day thread.

Peter

Social source share

one of the best and cheapest dealers on here and on the scene, and a man i respect immensely is des parker, check out SOUL INC, des posts regularly, as does me old mucka pete smith...loadsa bargains!

Can't recommend Des enough! I've bought so many records from him since I started posting on these forums. unbeatable deals, fast shipping and nothing but quality through and through. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyway you don't have to go spending hundreds on originals, I replaced all my originals with reissues from Outta Sight, really good lookalike labels, perfect quality sound, and all legal as well. I bought 70 in one go. Absolutely chuffed with them.

And another way of getting great classic records cheaply is to buy them on their UK 70's release, there are at least 100 decent titles you could collect.

Not the best advice here Liam, stick to originals, much more fulfilling and fun. When you can buy the record you dream of owning for £10 it takes the edge off it. Only my opinion of course...

Here's a few to get you going:

Greater Davis - my love is so strong

Sonny Ross - Alakazam

Ray Charles - I dont need no doctor

Isley brothers - dont give it away

Gene faith - my baby is missing

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

Not the best advice here Liam, stick to originals, much more fulfilling and fun. 

Read my lips:

THEY SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME

I get all my fulfillment and fun from what comes out of the grooves, not from the label it's on.

Liam, just ignore soul snobs like this and buy whatever you bloody well like.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Read my lips:

I get all my fulfillment and fun from what comes out of the grooves, not from the label it's on.

I can't read your lips because I can't see you...I can read your message but still don't agree with it, opinions and debate are what forums are for.

As someone in thier mid 20's myself, I can tell you I would of got bored many years ago if I had of been buying boots from the off, IMO you may as well buy a CD.

The chase and the hunting can be the best bit! You must understand that having collected original records yourself?

I'm not a soul snob, I just like things to be proper especially when it comes to vinyl!

Callum

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm not talking about buying boots. I can't see any sense in depriving yourself of fantastic records just because they are on a reissue label. Not can I see any sense in members advocating NOT buying something which might have given the artists some small royalties.

If I was starting out just getting into Northern, I'd want to know what the greatest records ever were and I'd want to hear them and then possibly buy them, and if I can buy them for £5 on a legal reissue, it's a no lose situation.

OH and that's from someone who's had at least 50,000 originals...the artists got no royalties from any of the records I sold

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I'm not talking about buying boots. I can't see any sense in depriving yourself of fantastic records just because they are on a reissue label. Not can I see any sense in members advocating NOT buying something which might have given the artists some small royalties.

If I was starting out just getting into Northern, I'd want to know what the greatest records ever were and I'd want to hear them and then possibly buy them, and if I can buy them for £5 on a legal reissue, it's a no lose situation.

OH and that's from someone who's had at least 50,000 originals...the artists got no royalties from any of the records I sold

Isn't that what CDs are for?

That way he can still listen to rare or expensive stuff at home; plus keep his integrity when buying vinyl, and especially when playing them out.

There are too many great records within range of even a modest budget to have to resort to going down the (vinyl) reissue route. It also tends to produce a more interesting and distinctive collection or DJ set, and he'll learn a lot more in the process.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Back to the topic;

Ethics - look at me now

Chimes - the beginning of my life

Barbara mercer - hey

Superlatives - lonely in a crowd

Impressions - you've been cheating

Little eva harris - get ready, uptight

Original vinyl only btw imo ;)

Social source share

Isn't that what CDs are for?

That way he can still listen to rare or expensive stuff at home; plus keep his integrity when buying vinyl, and especially when playing them out.

There are too many great records within range of even a modest budget to have to resort to going down the (vinyl) reissue route. It also tends to produce a more interesting and distinctive collection or DJ set, and he'll learn a lot more in the process.

"I'd better not buy this record I really like in case some old blokes on Soul Source who I've never met and am never likely to meet tell me off for buying the record on wrong label and talk about me to each other"

cos their opinion REALLY matters

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Integrity?

Do me a favour.  You are telling me that I am not allowed to own my favourite records on reissues because it would mean of a lack of integrity?  Who decides what integrity is - you?   The day I have to ask you or anyone else on here what I am allowed to play is the day hell freezes over.  And why would I want a cd when I can have a record?

I've got thousands of records, but I want more records, and I want them on reissues.  OK?

threads about a  guy asking advice and people then posting advice

can't see anyone telling you what to do

• Helpful 1
Social source share

threads about a  guy asking advice and people then posting advice

can't see anyone telling you what to do

We are obviously reading it differently then.

People are being told it's wrong to buy reissues as it threatens their integrity.

I changed that post anyway.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

We are obviously reading it differently then.

People are being told it's wrong to buy reissues as it threatens their integrity.

I changed that post anyway.

bit of a crabby old man edit that  :rofl:

the guy asked for advice for dj-ing

here are

but what are your opinions on great, undervalued records?

may be better keeping it to that  ?

Edited by mike
Social source share

Read my lips:

The only soul snobs are the ones who judge people on what they buy!  Be it originals or boot/lookalikes.

If people want a bit of original history and buy the real thing, it does not make them snobs!

If it is just the sound that counts, we all may as well throw all our records away and buy CD's!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

liam, you could prob get these in vg to vg+ cond off ebay on the right day within your budget

Maurice and radiants baby you've got it  chess (dancer)

ej + echoes put a smile on your face diamond jim  (essential midtempo)

volcanos help wanted arctic (dancer)

volumes you got it baby inferno (dancer)

tommy turner i'll be gone elbam  (midtempo)

ann peebles tear your play house down hi (just  brilliant !!!)

pharaohs Freedom Road scarab (funky soul)

happy diggin'

franc

Edited by cobbles
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!