Dee Dee Warwick, Worth Every Tear On E Bay

Markd

Has the world gone mad or is it just me.......

Upto £250.00 and still 2 days left. Is this the going rate these days ?

Been going for silly money ever since that guy ..forget his name ...Butch is it ?? played it in his set once ..about a yr or so back :ohmy:

Great oldie im sure ,but why the amount of people rush out to get one now is  a bit sad ..meaning ,surely if you rate it and have been dj'n for donkeys yrs ,you should have it in your box already :g:

...if not ,then your just playing it cos  Butch has re-activated it :yes:

Personally at the type of venues that this would go down a storm ,i'd suggest you get the lp ,it's not easy to pick up ,but it's gotta be better than paying anything over £100 for the UK only 45 :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He's played it more than once and it's a US acetate he has and a different take I think to the UK release.

heyup fella ... im not knocking the record mate ,it's a great record ,but i believe the hype and recent price hike stems from Butch playing it out somewhere ?

Social source share

Its a great dancer and all that, but she has made far far better records that mostly go for under £20... in fact the list is endless, But then you all know that...

so why the hype about this track?

M

Cos it's a proper classic Northern sound ... and when people are used to hearing the same records played to death ,they need someone to remind them that this one has been locked away for too long :ohmy:  

Social source share

i remember pete smith writing in beatin rhythim mag about worth every tear...... after some dealer quoted 3 figures." Yes its worth 3 figures  £9.99"! think he went on to prove it by buying one for that price a few weeks later. however it was over 20 years ago. Wonder what happened to him :D

Social source share

the late, great dee dee, who lived in the shadow of her sister, but who's repetoire is every bit as good as the elder sibling's...right about the "cheapie section", connoiseurs stuff in there...."where is that rainbow" a much better reworking of the lp track, "when love slips away", yes there are other versions of that particular track, but her version is delivered with consumate ease, above all else...a fabulous vocal range and quite comfortably bracketed with the linda jones's of this world....for me personally,...the sublimnal "we've got everything going for us" just does it...and a b-side at that...it does help though, when you've got "the wiz" at the controls. so,....worth every tear i cry is worth every penny you've got no matter what you pay...quality is dee dee warwick's trademark. :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

heyup fella ... im not knocking the record mate ,it's a great record ,but i believe the hype and recent price hike stems from Butch playing it out somewhere ?

Won't be the first time, nor the last Nev.....Butch does indeed play a US acetate of it.

Social source share

i remember pete smith writing in beatin rhythim mag about worth every tear...... after some dealer quoted 3 figures." Yes its worth 3 figures  £9.99"! think he went on to prove it by buying one for that price a few weeks later. however it was over 20 years ago. Wonder what happened to him :D

I still have a laugh about that when I think about it.

I'd actually sold it for something like £6 so when I saw that "three figures" quote I couldn't let it go.

Luckily I got one from a boot sale about 2 weeks later.

It is quite hard though, due to the demand really.

Social source share

I know your not rocking it mate. just saying Butch featured it a fair bit. But top DJ's have always influenced what others DJ's go out and buy. Shame some of those DJs don't go looking for some of the cheapies and goodies out there.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Where's this for auction.?

It's here Kev : https://tinyurl.com/ps9vs9e

Bidders.gifbtnHelp.gif s.gifBid Amount Bid Time s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: c***es.gif( 1545iconRedStar_25x25.gif)    GBP 250.00
Jun-24-13 16:06:13 PDT
s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: e***ts.gif( 1663iconRedStar_25x25.gif)    GBP 245.00
Jun-28-13 07:19:36 PDT
s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: e***ts.gif( 1663iconRedStar_25x25.gif)    GBP 210.00
Jun-28-13 07:19:22 PDT
s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: e***ts.gif( 1663iconRedStar_25x25.gif)    GBP 155.00
Jun-25-13 09:06:04 PDT
s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: e***ts.gif( 1663iconRedStar_25x25.gif)    GBP 125.00
Jun-25-13 09:05:52 PDT
s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: e***ts.gif( 1663iconRedStar_25x25.gif)    GBP 75.00
Jun-25-13 09:05:43 PDT
s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: l***gs.gif ( private )    GBP 10.00
Jun-24-13 14:12:41 PDT
s.gifs.gifs.gifMember Id: 1***6s.gif( 662iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif)    GBP 5.00
Jun-23-13 12:58:03 PDT
s.gifs.gif Starting Price    GBP 0.99
Jun-23-13 12:35:52 PDT
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

£250 seems steep ,compared to what it has sold for before, and that's taking into account it's a u.k. release only, but, as i said time's change and people come round to valuing things...our vinyl IS 2nd only to antiques for top dollar...because they literally ARE antiques...you have to smile even if you're exasperated....because it's suddenly commanding respect and it IS a great tune that SHOULD be played...it aint a boring tune :no:

Social source share

£250 seems steep ,compared to what it has sold for before, and that's taking into account it's a u.k. release only, but, as i said time's change and people come round to valuing things...our vinyl IS 2nd only to antiques for top dollar...because they literally ARE antiques...you have to smile even if you're exasperated....because it's suddenly commanding respect and it IS a great tune that SHOULD be played...it aint a boring tune :no:

Soul records are a false economy .....price usually is dictated by dj demand and not actual rarity of the piece .

Once the demand drops ,irrespective of rarity ,so does the price !

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Perhaps it's a demo  copy :g: ........................................................................................................... :wicked:

Dave

Social source share

Soul records are a false economy .....price usually is dictated by dj demand and not actual rarity of the piece .

Once the demand drops ,irrespective of rarity ,so does the price !

I agree Nev in principle, particularly with mediocre stuff. But I think really good soul records hold their price and this is a really good soul record. Not sure about £250 though, it's tempting me out to a few boot fairs to see what I can find :lol: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know your not rocking it mate. just saying Butch featured it a fair bit. But top DJ's have always influenced what others DJ's go out and buy. Shame some of those DJs don't go looking for some of the cheapies and goodies out there.

To be fair though, he isn't playing a cheapie is he - he's playing a different version acetate of a well known record

Big name DJs playing more 'available' tunes on the exact same format as the rest of us - now that would be something

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I agree Nev in principle, particularly with mediocre stuff. But I think really good soul records hold their price and this is a really good soul record. Not sure about £250 though, it's tempting me out to a few boot fairs to see what I can find :lol:

agree with that perspective steve, my point is...it really is the most important collectors market behind antiques...of course, nev's right as well, prices will fluctuate, BUT in collectors terms, they will always be worth more than what they were originally sold for at the counter and, as has been proven, once stocks diminish, the rise in value will reflect this fact...even if it's something that's getting played or not...everything has it's day and it's price. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Well if someones got a nice copy for me

ill give you 150 quid

And i dont want it cos Butch or any other dj plays it

I want it cos its a fantastic record .

The reason ive never got a copy in the past is that only ever had a limited amount of cash for 45s

and as everyone on here knows other things always come up.

Theres far more collectors out there than DJS even though it does seem sometimes that everyones a DJ

Al H

Social source share

my copy has a yellow "sample not for resale" stamped on the Lovers Chant side. Does this mean its an authentic demo? and would it make it more valuable?

It is a demo but only as much a demo as those with not for sale stickers on them

Social source share

Been going for silly money ever since that guy ..forget his name ...Butch is it ?? played it in his set once ..about a yr or so back :ohmy:

Great oldie im sure ,but why the amount of people rush out to get one now is  a bit sad ..meaning ,surely if you rate it and have been dj'n for donkeys yrs ,you should have it in your box already :g:

...if not ,then your just playing it cos  Butch has re-activated it :yes:

Personally at the type of venues that this would go down a storm ,i'd suggest you get the lp ,it's not easy to pick up ,but it's gotta be better than paying anything over £100 for the UK only 45 :thumbsup:

Nev

Same happened when he started playing The Belles-Don't Pretend & Barbara Carr-My Mama Told Me.

I'll stick with my Mercury Demo LP copy :D

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I PAID ABOUT £100 SIX YEARS AGO; IT WAS A TOUGHIE TO GET...WELL I THOUGHT SO.

I HAVE HEARD BUTCH PLAY THE USA ACETATE - SOUNDS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME TO ME

Dave

Would have thought that or a touch less was about right?

As you say not that easy.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

It's a proper demo Jez, as Philips/Mercury never did demos at this time, just a yellow demo stamp on the lable...Butchs US acetate sounds the same to me too :thumbsup:

You couldn't sell that as a demo though Bri, not for more than an issue - I always put 'demo stamp on label' but never charge more - too easy to fake.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You couldn't sell that as a demo though Bri, not for more than an issue - I always put 'demo stamp on label' but never charge more - too easy to fake.

this is very true mate, but having seen this particular copy looks good to me, he may even have got it from you :thumbsup:

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!