Ebay Question

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I have to be absolutely desperate to buy from the U.S now and it really quite sad. The postage rates are bad enough but I've been hit by import duty 3 times in the last month. Import duty is also charged on the postage, I believe, so the more the postage....the higher the charge. Latest on this week was just under £12 for a $30 record. £8 of that was for a handling fee.

Social source share

Absolutely , added to the postal charges there is the Customs which I for one have been stung by . Not once either :ohmy: 

Ditto Mak,right ball ache.

To answer the question Yes in short.Still bid on tunes from the states but factor the price hike into my bid to try offset the increase.Find it's more an issue on cheaper tunes as sometimes the postage makes them over priced.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Most definitely. I try and source everything in the UK nowadays it even with the increase in postage it can be cheaper to purchase from the US, particularly LPs. This and the fact many US sellers now declare the value means we get hit at customs as well.

Social source share

Yes for me - it's the charges this end that are the most painful as more US sellers are writing the true value of the record on the customs declaration and we cop the import duty, plus the infamous £8.00 UK postage handling fee.

I only look at lower priced stuff now and factor all these things in to any price - means I've bought one tune from the states in the last 3 months and that was $11.00.

Dave

Social source share

Yes for me - it's the charges this end that are the most painful as more US sellers are writing the true value of the record on the customs declaration and we cop the import duty, plus the infamous £8.00 UK postage handling fee.

I only look at lower priced stuff now and factor all these things in to any price - means I've bought one tune from the states in the last 3 months and that was $11.00.

Dave[/quote

Hmmmm...

I haven't noticed really because I've been under a rock for a while...

Well, for whatever its worth, I still do things as I have before as far as shipping goes...(nudge wink)...

Hopefully most readers know what I mean without being obvious.

I've spent months getting another list ready, hopefully all turnouts will be the same...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have to be absolutely desperate to buy from the U.S now and it really quite sad. The postage rates are bad enough but I've been hit by import duty 3 times in the last month. Import duty is also charged on the postage, I believe, so the more the postage....the higher the charge. Latest on this week was just under £12 for a $30 record. £8 of that was for a handling fee.

Yes it is sad.  I didn't know about the handling fee on your end, and am sorry to hear about that.  One more attempt to stifle commerce.  I raised my shipping rate to $10.50 US on a single 45, and absorb roughly $2.00 at this end, in addition to ebay and paypal taking their bite out of the shipping money.  Moreover, I am continually amazed at the number of US sellers who insist on placing full value on the parcel.  To my way of thinking, an auction price is speculative until the buyer sees the item and confirms that is it "as advertised".  Until then, I believe a wholesale value or cost basis is an appropriate method of valuation.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes it is sad.  I didn't know about the handling fee on your end, and am sorry to hear about that.  One more attempt to stifle commerce.  I raised my shipping rate to $10.50 US on a single 45, and absorb roughly $2.00 at this end, in addition to ebay and paypal taking their bite out of the shipping money.  Moreover, I am continually amazed at the number of US sellers who insist on placing full value on the parcel.  To my way of thinking, an auction price is speculative until the buyer sees the item and confirms that is it "as advertised".  Until then, I believe a wholesale value or cost basis is an appropriate method of valuation.

Must admit I hadn't considered the point that the value is only speculative until the buyer gets it and is happy, and I agree. We in the UK could buy a record from the US or anywhere outside Eurupe that is either badly graded, a bootleg advertised as original, or it could arrive in pieces. Our customs wouldn't want to know if this were the case.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Are you UK buyers slowing down because of the Postal charges?

Just wondering....

Hi Mike Good question, I have found that USA dealers are now more likely to accept lower offers on their records now because of the lack of intrest from europe due to the price hike, I seem to be buying more contrary to the above postal cost.

What realy gets up my nose is the differance in the sellers postal charges varying from around $10 to $25 for the first record, i understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch but $25 for shipping and handling is really taking the piss.

In general though i doubt i will ever stop buying records as onc a tune gets under my skin, "I gotta get it".

Whats your sale site and user name for your items ?

All the best

Garry Huxley

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

In general though i doubt i will ever stop buying records as onc a tune gets under my skin, "I gotta get it".

All the best

Garry Huxley

It gets me exactly the same Garry. I try so hard to stay away from US sales as I know whatever I want will appear on a UK sales list at some point but I'm lazy and impatience and have to have it right now!

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

It gets me exactly the same Garry. I try so hard to stay away from US sales as I know whatever I want will appear on a UK sales list at some point but I'm lazy and impatience and have to have it right now!

And the cost will be lower if you buy from USA due to the stupid inflated prices of some uk dealers really take the p**s i'm stickin with what i do

Just got a traits 45 for £20 cheaper than if i bought it here thats with postage, keep it coming boys n girls, i will keep buying.

Garry

Social source share

This and the fact many US sellers now declare the value means we get hit at customs as well.

Of course I always scrupulously do that. :rolleyes:

What with arguing with our lot and your lot and all the rigmarole entailed

would really only benefit my grandkids.

Social source share

Hi Mike Good question, I have found that USA dealers are now more likely to accept lower offers on their records now because of the lack of intrest from europe due to the price hike, I seem to be buying more contrary to the above postal cost.

What realy gets up my nose is the differance in the sellers postal charges varying from around $10 to $25 for the first record, i understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch but $25 for shipping and handling is really taking the piss.

All the best

Garry Huxley

Have to agree Gary, I have a small very select group Iv dealt with in the states for a great many years now, I emailed all of them explaining how our Customs/Post Office were ripping us off to help pay for the deficit we have and asked them all for help, almost all of them responded in a positive manner so much so that I very rarely even look at home based suppliers now. I also sent them them details of a couple of buyers who were simply snapping tunes up to put them on there own site over here with a grossly inflated price taking the piss out of all of us.  Like you Im buying more than ever, and my relationship with my suppliers has really helped me, just need the time to play them. For over 45 years Iv been buying this music and I can honestly only name one supplier who has consistently over the years actually put my interests into the equation when dealing with him. How sad is that?

Gouch

Social source share

All the best

Garry Huxley

Thatgirl75

Auction starts this Monday (fingers crossed)..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I can't say if things have slowed, or not, but I have noticed the market seems to have changed with a lot more of the ebay auction items I bid on going for just the starting price, whereas before the postal increase I would've expected, and most likely encountered, a little more interest/competition on many of these items. So I'm buying more at the mo.

Social source share

I've really slowed down on ad-hoc buys of lower priced stuff on eBay from the US

The charges mean it just isn't worth it at times unless of course you score for a 300 dollar record for a daft 100 dollar bid or similar.

It amazes me though on some peoples listings when they have a desirable record up for sale - they are going to make a nice little bonus on a crate or estate find but insist on full declaration and registered cost.

I will not buy from any US listing that declares this policy on eBay.

Social source share

Hi Mike,hope your both well? I`ve slowed down buying from the U.s now due to high postage and sellers not playing ball with paperwork etc.

Also the days of buying single items especially the cheap ones is not cost effective in the U.s, I`ve decided to only buy off sellers who either let

me build up orders to save on postage or if they don`t play ball,they go to a few U.s addreses  of friends which can be a pain cos i sometimes don`t get them for months so i can`t buy vg+ in the hope it`s been undergraded.

look forward to your ebay list,send me an email with link when you posted it up,hopefully see ya end of the year again.

Social source share

On top of the postage costs from the US, the Pound is now dropping in value against the US Dollar.

So we will be spending more £££ when we bid & win a 45 that is located in the US and sold in $$$$$$.

.... and to think Eddie Floyd used to sing ....... Things Get Better !!!

Social source share

Just bought a track for £25 the duty and postage came to another £25 all done through ebay USA, it turns out id would have paid £50 to a UK dealer so break even, but if you get a seller whos not through ebay you can chance the postage and duty and get it through cheaper, ive done this as well....goods through ebay seem to be hiked up to the hilt i understand they are probably under scrutiny by the IRS and now following the tougher customs checks etc ...which i may add ebay did notifiy users in an indepth message last year....,but doing it by the book is stopping me buying from Ebay from the states.... europe only for me in future  as i know of a few of my compardres in yorkshire who have had tunes that have cost more than anticipated with the postage and duty rises, 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

What would convince UK buyer to continue buying from the USA? Would it help if sellers met you half way with shipping charges? 

I think for me the Postal Charges would be manageable if the sellers were consistent, eg. $12 or $13 to cover up to 4 or 5 records (Is that about right?), It's extreme cases when you can't find a couple of other records to offset the cost. (Our own UK to US charges also shot up recently, almost doubled over two annual rises so I can appreciate that this charge is unavoidable).

It's the $25 and $50 shipping charges that seem to be more abundent this last six months that are taking the mick. and these are for $5 records.

But the main thing that would help (for me anyway) would be if sellers could play the game with declaration of value. We know a few have done that, and I have recently approched a couple of sellers who were glad to put a low value and "gift" on their parcels. Of course it is unfair to expect them to advertise the fact openly, so you would have to ask each seller privately as and when needed. So far I have had to ask four times. Two, as said above, were fine, and two told me "No". Publicly though, they can't really say anything, except cryptically, as in "nudge nudge wink wink". (this is not just eBay, but personal websites / sales lists, multi-seller sites like Gemm etc.)

So I'll keep on asking sellers individually and take each one as it comes.

And another thing ... "Never start a sentence with And, But, or So"

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

I think for me the Postal Charges would be manageable if the sellers were consistent, eg. $12 or $13 to cover up to 4 or 5 records (Is that about right?), It's extreme cases when you can't find a couple of other records to offset the cost. (Our own UK to US charges also shot up recently, almost doubled over two annual rises so I can appreciate that this charge is unavoidable).

It's the $25 and $50 shipping charges that seem to be more abundent this last six months that are taking the mick. and these are for $5 records.

But the main thing that would help (for me anyway) would be if sellers could play the game with declaration of value. We know a few have done that, and I have recently approched a couple of sellers who were glad to put a low value and "gift" on their parcels. Of course it is unfair to expect them to advertise the fact openly, so you would have to ask each seller privately as and when needed. So far I have had to ask four times. Two, as said above, were fine, and two told me "No". Publicly though, they can't really say anything, except cryptically, as in "nudge nudge wink wink". (this is not just eBay, but personal websites / sales lists, multi-seller sites like Gemm etc.)

So I'll keep on asking sellers individually and take each one as it comes.

And another thing ... "Never start a sentence with And, But, or So"

Cheers

Mick

Mick, I went to the post office earlier this week to mail multiple packages to europe and the uk.  international postage usually costs $13usd to mail one 45. I had a package that contained 6 records and it cost $17. The cost for tracking is an additional $12. It is pretty ridiculous how expensive the postage system is considering the lack of support the give us in their office and with handling postage, losing packages ect. I can understand your frustration with the charges. I also collect jazz albums and most of the purchases I make though the internet come from japan. The shipping charges for one album are close to $30. Add that to the inflated cost of japanese reissues and competition for originals and it make for one expensive album. In the end it is worth it because I buy from dealer I trust who always send quality products. I also try to make multiple item purchase whenever possible to save on my shipping expenses. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!