So Who Was Ann Bailey?

"Sweeping your dirt under my rug" gal. Can't find anything out about her, anyone know anything?

I've spoken to loads of people, but no one has ever heard of her, or remembers who she was. I've got one further source to check, but he's in Costa Rica.

Some guesswork on the net about her being in the Mary Jane Girls, but that's not correct and a case of someone adding 2+2 and coming up with 5, since that Ann Bailey (Cheri Wells) was 19 in 1983, so too young to be THE Ann Bailey in 1972.

Thanks if you can help.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Thanks guys. Tash Howard died - she was his act. Ray Dahrouge never heard of her - his only involvement was in the original version of the song by Sammy Jones. Stan, Tom M, and Maye and various others don't know either. But thanks for the ideas.....Bob have the single with a flip called "Big City woman".

steve

Social source share

Steve

Wasn't there an Ann Bailey who sang with Brown Sugar and Peter Brown on a few things/projects?

Prob around the same era? So may be the same gal?

You have probably also researched that she may be related to other Baileys within the soul world?

Regards

Dave H

Social source share

Hi Dave

This is a much younger Ann Bailey, from LA (but now living in the UK amazingly!).

Some bangin' music tho! This Ann Bailey got going in the 21st Century....good diva.

Any other ideas for the "Sweeping your dirt" girl? All idea gratefully considered....ya never know..

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Hi Dave

Any other ideas for the "Sweeping your dirt" girl? All idea gratefully considered....ya never know..

Thanks,

Steve

Just wondered whether there could be a J.R. Bailey connection, since he wrote some songs (with Johnny Northern) which came out on Wand etc. A long shot I know but that's the only Bailey connection I can think of......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Hi Ian, Thanks I do know that Ann was Tash Howard's act. Tash is long passed over like J.R.Bailey. I am thinking if it was j.R Baileys sister or something he'd probably have been involved in the publishing or writing somewhere......but his name doesn't appear. :-( 

Social source share

Steve

Wasn't there an Ann Bailey who sang with Brown Sugar and Peter Brown on a few things/projects?

Prob around the same era? So may be the same gal?

You have probably also researched that she may be related to other Baileys within the soul world?

Regards

Dave H

maybe you're thinking of ann winley? was there even a new york based group that recorded called Brown Sugar? the clydie king group was LA, the capitol group was philly. sorry if there's something i don't know and am missing.

Social source share

Steve

Just had a "thought" re Ann Bailey???? Could it be she was someone else and recorded this under another name like other artists did, hence the single release?

In which case I would like to put forward Rene Bailey who recorded on Carnival Records (not that you need me to tell you that ) or indeed the NYC connection!

Sorry if this interrupts your serious investigations in this matter...........It was just a thought mate

Dave H

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert