Rory Mcdonald 'your Love Is Indescribably Delicious/if I Had A Mind To'

I'm really surprised (but pleased) that this is believed to be rare.  I got a copy off UK ebay around 2 years ago.  Nobody else bid and I think I paid around just £15 for it. I came across it by chance because I was looking for Willis Wooten at the time.  Maybe copies are lurking in non-soul collections.

Edited by AlanB
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice one Alan- the gods were shinning with you on that day. Gutted I missed that one in my extensive search. Does your copy also have the dinked centre?

Yes, my copy has the dinked centre too. 

I still have my email copy of the invoice so I could check more about how I got it.  My memory had failed me about some bits:  it was April 2010, listed on UK ebay as a funk record, and cost just £7.28.  I had been looking for Willis Wooten at that time, and bought it just as a substitute.  The seller had a website (now defunct) on which he said his main interest was Northern soul.  So it seems I was really lucky.

Had no idea it was special till I read this thread.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

five known copies on here  and all with dinked centres - is this unusual for Philips uk ? 

I think from early 70s Phillips UK routinely dinked centres from the paper label releases e.g. the hit re-issues of Love, Love, Love and You're Ready Now were dinked.

Social source share

From 68 onwards the large centre holes were the norm, I'd say they are about 80% large and 20% push out, this went on until they started using those awful plastic moulded labels in 1972.

As for this record being only 3 copies, come on, UK Philips from 71-72, they're going to be out there, it's just that people didn't know to look for it!  They'd have pressed a thousand of these.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

From 68 onwards the large centre holes were the norm, I'd say they are about 80% large and 20% push out, this went on until they started using those awful plastic moulded labels in 1972.

As for this record being only 3 copies, come on, UK Philips from 71-72, they're going to be out there, it's just that people didn't know to look for it!  They'd have pressed a thousand of these.

can't argue with that logic  Pete, but then doesn't explain lack of copies on ebay , musicstack , gemm and so on . perhaps it was withdrawn ? Can't find any info either on the artist , 

Social source share

• 1 year later...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally another one has surfaced - just listed on John Manships auction site with sound file

9274_1.jpg9274_1sm.jpg9274_2sm.jpg
Rory Mcdonald Your Love Is Indescribably Delicious Label Philips Condition M- / M-/ M- Live Conclusion @ 03.09.2014 18:00 (UK time) (see help for details) Current Time 16.08.2014 16:57 (UK time) Time Remaining 2 weeks 4 days Starting Bid £ 1.00 Bid Increment £ 11.00 Minimum Bid £ 0.00 Current Bid £ 1.00 ()

If you would like to place a bid, or see the bid history for this auction please register.

Login

Comments

You are looking at one the most obscure British offerings to the Northern Soul collector. Thanks, most probably to Johnny Arthey’s penchant for “Soul” that brought him to guide this Scotchman through a fabulous 1968 Ronnie Baker “Philly” composition that Willis Wooten put onto the Northern Soul map.

This version, unlike the Willis Wooten, is frighteningly RARE and carrying all the flare we’ve come to expect from an “Arthey” involvement, as the arranger embroiders a wall of horns with and incessant funky guitar riffs for the rough-coated McDonald vocal to rip into.

Powerful and highly creditable British take on a Philadelphia in-demander. If you collect English Soul 45s or you want the rarest possible variations of great Soul dance tunes…let us assure you this 45 is ridiculously challenging to locate…

Condition is flawless in every way..

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I dont have an issue with Blue or Brown Eyed Soul, but surely it should be at least soulful, for it to be of interest on a soul forum, not just on a British label & rare ?.

Best Russ 

There's 100's of Northern Soul records that aren't actually soulful Russ, we like em all here

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!