The Most Authentic Bootleg/counterfeit?

whats the story with this then Ian, I have my copy here now and it looks identical  :g:

Hi Andy

I spoke to Max Millward (Blue Max) about the origins of this counterfeit he told me Simon Soussan had them done as close has he could to the original Demo's as possible including the H stamp in the dead wax 

atb Kev

Social source share

Hi Andy

I spoke to Max Millward (Blue Max) about the origins of this counterfeit he told me Simon Soussan had them done as close has he could to the original Demo's as possible including the H stamp in the dead wax 

atb Kev

is this about a salvadors Boot?

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Hi Andy

atb Kev

they certainly do look almost identical I'll give him that

Social source share

No it's the James Bounty counterfeit on the Compass Demo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Wasn't it AVI who, after SS booted James Bounty, commissioned their own dark version of this song as a message to Soussan ?

I refer to "Permanent Injury" by the Bryson Bay Band. Not bad to have a song written about you, even if it doesn't exactly give praise or adulation.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....Jimmy Raye's  "Philly Dog around the World" on the dark blue label is a tuff one I have 2 almost identical copy's and it's only difference are small marks in the matrix, a hard one to spot with the naked eye, record has a brilliant B side by the way :D DAVE K

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Skullsnaps LP is tough to tell I think. Something to do with the run out groove , how many grooves and where the number is in said run out grooves.??

Has there been more than 2 releases of this then. I know the one I have is a re-release as it has (contains classic dope beats from 'back in the days' ) on the front cover

Social source share

There are a few places where the text is not the same as the org.

Yeah I know, my dad has a copy. But, I am sure it is a boot, however, my point comes from that there are that many boots of it and the orginal is so rare. This all made it a bit more of a mystery, nut with lable scans etc its a lot easier!

As for the record, I dont mind it. Theres better, theres worse...

Social source share

Personally speaking the ones mentioned so far are easy to spot, ie Gary Haines, Detroit land apples, Salvadors, James bounty, because NONE of them have any kind of original matrix stamping on them like the Nashville italic. If it ain't got it it ain't pucker no matter how good it may look.

Dazz

Social source share

Personally speaking the ones mentioned so far are easy to spot, ie Gary Haines, Detroit land apples, Salvadors, James bounty, because NONE of them have any kind of original matrix stamping on them like the Nashville italic. If it ain't got it it ain't pucker no matter how good it may look.

Dazz

...and then you get into the area of false matrix stamps...Voices of east Harlem caught me out when I were much younger and even more stupid :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wasn't it AVI who, after SS booted James Bounty, commissioned their own dark version of this song as a message to Soussan ?

I refer to "Permanent Injury" by the Bryson Bay Band. Not bad to have a song written about you, even if it doesn't exactly give praise or adulation.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mike 

sorry i can't give you an answer to your question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :(

Kev 

Social source share

I've been meaning to ask someone for some time, what's the difference on this one?

There are a few differences in the vinyl and details on the label - the main thing to look for on the dead wax of the original is the 'Bed' logo (like on MGM).

Here's an old thread on it - there might be others if you search the forums.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

a few hard ones to tell

come on and live- fabulous jades

i must love you-timothy wilson

you live only once-imperial wonders

hard to understand-jimmy mack

spellbound-tamiko jones wd

Fabulous Jades is a brilliant repro.  Timothy Wilson easy to tell as it's on vinyl not styrene.  Tamiko Jones never booted though..

Social source share

Fabulous Jades is a brilliant repro.  Timothy Wilson easy to tell as it's on vinyl not styrene.  Tamiko Jones never booted though..

i always thought that spellbounds were boots as remember seeing them for sale by a seller who usually sold all the latest boots,but then again at the same time here were loads of black copies of roy hamilton around as well 

Social source share

In the 80s I bought a copy of Alexander Patton 'A Little Loving Sometimes' which looked perfect. Then I read Manship's guide which said it was pressed on Capitol blank 45s, so it was therefore pretty much undetectable as a boot  :( . However, I THEN read it was actually an East Coast pressing and wasn't a boot after all... :g:

The counterfeit/boots do not have the correct runout groove stamps.

The West coast original has a Star and 1 machine stamped in the run out groove.

The East coast original has a triangle with AIM written in it, machine stamped in the run out groove.

The counterfeits do not have these machine stamps in the run out grooves.

Social source share

whats the story with this then Ian, I have my copy here now and it looks identical  :g:

The original on Compass was made at three different pressing plants. All made on thin high quality vinyl.

These letters are machine stamped in the runout groove, denoting which plant they were made at.  H,  R, or  I.

The west coast original had an H stamped in the runout groove. The demo bootleggers copied this variation, so put a small stamped H in the runout of the demo bootleg copies.

It was also booted on a variety of issue design labels.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I've been meaning to ask someone for some time, what's the difference on this one?

Hasn't the original got facial features on the Karate figure and the bootleg not ? Also the edges of the label on the boot are not as clean as the original , it's easy to tell if you have both to compare ....

Edited by Eddie Hubbard
Social source share

The recent King Tutt supposed Italian boots are pretty good.

Also the original poster asks if any are foolproof. If they were we wouldn't know about them :D

I bought one of those recently, Had in Big Marker pen over the flip, ITALIAN.. which I thought was amusing, for a second I wondered whether some noob had put that on the back of all of em... Kinda defeats the object dont you think..

that said I read somewhere its a slightly different version...

Has anybody mentioned James Fountain, Remember a mate checking what he thought was an original up against Soul Sam's one night, boy they were close... :g:

Mal

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!