A New Version Of Lou Pride Im Coming Home In The Morning ?

perux

A NEW VERSION OF LOU PRIDE IM COMING HOME IN THE MORNING PRODUCED BY LEE JEFFRIES AND MATT EARLY FEAT LIFFORD. ALL INSTRUMENTS PLAYED BY THE FINEST PERFORMERS MONEY CAN BUY , PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

THIS IS RECORDED ON IPHNE FROM A DEMO CARVER IVE MADE BUT IT GIVES YOU THE IDEA

LINK TO PLAY IT AND HEAR IT

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=628799883798858

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A NEW VERSION OF LOU PRIDE IM COMING HOME IN THE MORNING PRODUCED BY LEE JEFFRIES AND MATT EARLY FEAT LIFFORD. ALL INSTRUMENTS PLAYED BY THE FINEST PERFORMERS MONEY CAN BUY , PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK

THIS IS RECORDED ON IPHNE FROM A DEMO CARVER IVE MADE BUT IT GIVES YOU THE IDEA

LINK TO PLAY IT AND HEAR IT

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=628799883798858

VERY GOOD!!...I ALSO LIKE HIS 2005 VERSION FROM THE 'KEEP ON BELIEVING' ALBUM..AND ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE RIP OFF GLOLIGHT INSTRUMENTAL...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great....I'd be interested in a copy, f'sure.....dynamically, pretty good!

And just as an edit, I'd play this to a specific crowd ie Funky Sole and suchlike, a more funky edge group....I wouldn't play it at a soul night.

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

Each to their own, but not for me.

Lacks the musicality and intensity of the OG - a bit like listening to a repetitive clunky steam train backing the vocal with the horns relatively absent. IMO only of course.

I think it's more backing than vocal ,in line with dance music of the house variety .

I kinda like the authenticity of original vinyl and all it's rawness than something that's been altered to suit a scene ..even though the original already covers that ground already .

But I've been to the more commercial venues and heard a few altered songs and find them annoying ..Arethas one step dub thing and dare I say that tribute to Betty tripe !

But each to their own and one mans disco is another mans Northern soul anthem :)

Social source share

I'm not quite sure what the point of remaking something in virtually the identical way to the original is, every vocal nuance, every horn flourish and exchange etc is exactly the same. If Lou Pride's version did not exist I would think this was good, but if I heard them both for the first time, it would be Lou's version all day long. It might be just me, but I prefer to hear cover versions that bring something new to the table and are therefore valid in their own right. I suspect some deep house mixes of this may be on the horizon in which case I would say fair enough, even though they may not be to my liking, at least they will be a different interpretation of a classic. All in my humble one of course.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well if you can't find an original copy of your favourite tune, go and hire a studio band & singer and do it like for like, could be much more cost effective in certain cases!

Fair play to them and great effort but like Jordi said, what's the point in creating something pretty much identical to its original?

Social source share

I'm interested in what Jordi said, because what strikes me is that as a producer of such things you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't....so to speak.

What I mean is, I totally see Jordi's point of why do it if it's such a direct copy, but I also see that as the producer you also know you're leaving yourself wide open for a flogging if you try to change it.

As copies go, it sounds pretty good to me.  Lifford Shillingford is a good vocalist, and Matt Early puts some good house mixes together.  I would be interested to know who the band is Lee?

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Funnily enough ( on the radio ) I listened to a girl version of the Micheal Jackson song Rock With Mewith the same beat - soulfull house track thats was grill.

NEYSA with this horn break thats driving me mad ( old mecca wigan tune ) not black nasty or is it. Do me right.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

What it brings to the table is the same thing that Mayer Hawthorne did with his cover of the New Holidays 'Maybe so, maybe no'....I think the cover isn't really for the northern soul market, but more for the younger crowd that can access it.

Check out the Mayer official video to get an idea of the age group I think the Lou cover is aimed at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpfcydeSGeo

And just check out how many youtube hits the Mayer vid has had....close to 2.5 million. If this cover of 'Comun' home....' can open younger ears up to the original, then it's all well and good, and has a place as a piece of music.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What it brings to the table is the same thing that Mayer Hawthorne did with his cover of the New Holidays 'Maybe so, maybe no'....I think the cover isn't really for the northern soul market, but more for the younger crowd that can access it.

Check out the Mayer official video to get an idea of the age group I think the Lou cover is aimed at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpfcydeSGeo

And just check out how many youtube hits the Mayer vid has had....close to 2.5 million. If this cover of 'Comun' home....' can open younger ears up to the original, then it's all well and good, and has a place as a piece of music.

But surely Greg ,we want them to open up their ears to the original version of Lou Pride and there's already plenty of  youtube clips of that ,so if they were remotely interested in Lou Pride they would already have found him ?

i am passionate about the original versions because that's why i am on the scene .. to hear records that for unfortunate reasons ,never got aired ,but are quality to my ears !

Social source share

See, I love soulful house but wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. ......I remember knocking it back on Traxsource months ago!

I find it really interesting that some folk on here criticise house and its merits as contemporary black soulful music but when they choose to like some it's more often stuff I think is substandard!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

As copies go, it sounds pretty good to me.  Lifford Shillingford is a good vocalist, and Matt Early puts some good house mixes together.  I would be interested to know who the band is Lee?

Cheers,

Mark R

i agree with you Mark, the quality of performances are very good, we're not let down by a shitty Kylie type vocal, but I just struggle to see the point. I could see more point if it was a house or club production that didn't try to recreate every same detail, nuance and phrasing that Lou and his band did 40 years ago.

I'm not sure that I go with Greg's view that it will reach a whole new younger audience based on it's sound, as to me it's not different enough, unless there's a video that shows hip young pretty things. I'm sure that if there's a young audience out there for this version, then there would be a young audience out there for Lou's version, after all, we loved it when we were young. Lee's undoubted marketing skills and contacts could probably steer a whole new audience to Lou's version if the presentation was hip and cool.

Social source share

You could be right, Jordi.....it isn't really that different enough, so it might fall between a rock and hard place. I can see breakers and b-boys rather than northern soulies going at it, but is it a tough enough departure? Totally agree with you though about steering a whole new audience to Lou's version........

And Nev, what if the kids scouring youtube had never heard of Lou Pride? Not everybody is as musically dedicated as a well-rounded soulie. Many comments I've read about the Mayer Hawthorne 'Maybe so...' over various forums, thought that his was the original, only to have been pleasantly surprised when they discovered the New Holidays OG......you can't expect the 'youth' to know who Lou Pride was so links like this can give us some hope, as a starting point at any rate.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

well

you either own the orignal

or the bootleg

if you were paying attention a few years ago you will own jazzmans 45 collection of the suemi 45s

and with the cover, that is a great package

im not sure this needed re mixing

but its a decent mix, still funky and soulful

i cant wait till someone re mixes the mighty lovers

thats coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vD0rxd8pqw

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

this is just a recording via iphone just wait till you hear it on the wax its totally pumping plus new ist on the flip. play it side by side with the orig and you will see the difference as the band members are mostly from the royal philharmonic orchestra. so my reasons for re creating this iconic flawless northern soul monster you may ask ????

1 well to train my self in the art of recording in the old fashion way 

2 to create a fresh release to try and chart to help bring fresh blood into the scene

3 because I love to make music and set myself a challenge

4 to create fresh titles to put on my record label sonic wax

5 because the northern soul scene love new versions of things

6 IT MAKES GREAT FORUM CHAT

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi, just out of interest reading all comments eg, why would you re-record a classic and what next Eddie Parker etc Eddie re-recorded his classic 'Love you baby' with Lorraine Chandler in the 80's its only on an LP 'The old, new & blues' and i think it out shines the original see what you think, all the best, Waggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeVma4S1upU

I think you're on your own there Waggy...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi, just out of interest reading all comments eg, why would you re-record a classic and what next Eddie Parker etc Eddie re-recorded his classic 'Love you baby' with Lorraine Chandler in the 80's its only on an LP 'The old, new & blues' and i think it out shines the original see what you think, all the best, Waggy

Stop frightening people :thumbsup:

Social source share

Making new music would be more interesting, why the interest in recycling old tracks all the time, and not always doing the old tracks justice,

the art of creativity is a dying artform, Just like making unreleased tracks available can be positive but SOME should

be left unreleased as they were unreleased for a reason, they jus weren't good enough,and in most cases not the finished article,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's orrible.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Making new music would be more interesting, why the interest in recycling old tracks all the time...............

The merits of this release aside, and talking in general, this is my feeling Rick...............

If only peoples energy were more often channeled into creating new...... 

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I used to think sampling was the art of the devil

The problem is we have all heard the original andwhen you become attached to it from a musically listening perspetive its difficult to shed the predjudice.

This also happens in Rock music a lot. eg Iron Maiden versus Stray - All in your mind . No stray fan will admit to liking Iron maidens version because stray was the original.

another is Budgie Versus Mettalica - Breadfan  . I like both but if I had to choose I always go for the original which in this case is by Budgie-This is based on historial musical listening. Its rare IMO that a later version is better than the original because of predjudice as I described.

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

for me im sick to death of hearing the orig, version which is a masterpiece ,so I hope this one dosent go on to do the same for the next 40 years, not that id expect to be still here. col

Edited by colsoul
Social source share

so this is better than the original ........i dont think so.. :dash2: .... :no:

Social source share

Guest john s

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid, seems to lose the urgency of the original, saps the life out of it.

The horns on the original are right on the raggedy edge, sounds like the record's going to fall apart, which is what (IMO) makes it so special.

This is pleasant enough but too controlled, and the drums aren't as good for me...

Social source share

The problem is we have all heard the original

another is Budgie Versus Mettalica - Breadfan  . I like both but if I had to choose I always go for the original which in this case is by Budgie-This is based on historial musical listening. Its rare IMO that a later version is better than the original because of predjudice as I described.

I understand what you mean, and I agree to a point, but I'd put money on that probably 95% (or more!) of Metallica's fans had never heard the Budgie version, or the original version of Diamond Head's "The Prince" for example. Exactly in the same way that 95% of the people that dug Mayer Hawthorne's version of "Maybe So, Maybe No" hadn't heard of The New Holidays. It's a way of paying tribute to your heroes or alerting people to good songs. From a "rock" perspective I've always loved when my favourite bands have recorded some covers as b-sides etc. If nothing else, it gives you a glimpse of their own record collections. And when it comes to a gigantic group like Metallica, the sheer impact of them recording a cover of an obscure NWOBHM tune is immense.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I'm with you on this Waggy.... I think its miles better than the original and way more soulfull too. I never really liked the original , even as a youngster I thought it was too fast for its own good. I think this version stems from much earlier than the 80s though. I think that LP was mostly a load of earlier tracks just cobbled together. Anyway, apart from Love You Baby it remains the only way most of us mere mortals will ever have a realistic chance of owning " But If You Must Go" without a lottery win.

Poor old Lee. He posts up a track to gauge reaction and we end up talking about other matters. Good luck Lee with your venture, I hope it brings you much succes. I havent heard it yet, i couldnt access it becuase i dont do Facebook....Some on this scene unfortunately can't see outside the fishbowl .....it's a big world out there !

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Yep..... That's life Pete. Like it or not though,sometimes they just happen to turn people onto the real thing. Also, if they turn into hits, they bring in much needed royalties for struggling artists.

Good luck to Lee I say

Social source share

Yep..... That's life Pete. Like it or not though,sometimes they just happen to turn people onto the real thing. Also, if they turn into hits, they bring in much needed royalties for struggling artists.

Good luck to Lee I say

I agree with you

Social source share

I'm with you on this Waggy.... I think its miles better than the original and way more soulfull too. I never really liked the original , even as a youngster I thought it was too fast for its own good. I think this version stems from much earlier than the 80s though. I think that LP was mostly a load of earlier tracks just cobbled together. Anyway, apart from Love You Baby it remains the only way most of us mere mortals will ever have a realistic chance of owning " But If You Must Go" without a lottery win.

Poor old Lee. He posts up a track to gauge reaction and we end up talking about other matters. Good luck Lee with your venture, I hope it brings you much succes. I havent heard it yet, i couldnt access it becuase i dont do Facebook....Some on this scene unfortunately can't see outside the fishbowl .....it's a big world out there !

So very NOT better imho.. The original has power, immediacy and real drive - a tune you never forget the first hearing  - familiarity breeding contempt me thinks.. and if preferring the original in this case is being in the fishbowl then I'm swimming happily   >(((((">

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!