What Was The First Tune To Be Pressed?

Guest Mart B

Guest Mart B

Dont know if this as been discussed on previous threads,just a thought what was the first  northern tune to have been pressed and which tune was it :g:

Social source share

For Northern Soul, She Blew A Good Thing on Old Soul records circa 1970

Wasn't there a 'SoulTown' boot label around same time Ade ??....Not 100%..but seem to remember..Invitations, Dean Parrish..possibly Jackie Edwards and Bobby sheen...may have been on it 

Social source share

Wasn't there a 'SoulTown' boot label around same time Ade ??....Not 100%..but seem to remember..Invitations, Dean Parrish..possibly Jackie Edwards and Bobby sheen...may have been on it 

Edited by shelly
Social source share

I remember buying " But It's Alright - J J Jackson "  around 69 70 time ,can't remember the label only that it was orange  ,but the other side was " Blue Berry Hill - San Remo Golden strings "  ,So I guessing it was a boot , so that was an early one    :yes:

Bazza  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Bazza
Social source share

I've got a boot on "Trip" with Ad-Libs-Boy From New York City & The Jelly Beans (can't remember the title without digging it out) on the other side,I acquired it off my older brother who went to Mojo & The Wheel & it's from those days.

Cheers

Martyn 

Social source share

I've got a boot on "Trip" with Ad-Libs-Boy From New York City & The Jelly Beans (can't remember the title without digging it out) on the other side,I acquired it off my older brother who went to Mojo & The Wheel & it's from those days.

Cheers

Martyn 

I think Trip was a legal "oldies" type re-issue label in the U.S.A. so

I would say that's not really a bootleg.

Kegsy

Social source share

Kegsy 

always thought Soul Sounds were the first bootlegs done.

If so the first one would be Baby Reconsider

this was my first  probably late sixties from Boylans Conisborough didn't know what a boot was then

Edited by smudger
Social source share

The Poets was on the Old Soul label which was Jeff King's first label before Soul Sounds which was the most famous early boot label. Others chipped in around that time and there were US ones done for the general mainly NYC, Philly and Pittsburgh scenes, some of them would get over here but were not done for Northern demand.

Social source share

I have an Earl Van Dyke 6x6 / Dynatones white label that was done at the same place as all the Soul Sounds etc. As it was a double sider as opposed to the proper B side, I wonder if this was before the SS series started in '67

Cheers

Mick

Soul Sounds was later than 67 Mick, I'm sure

Social source share

I think Trip was a legal "oldies" type re-issue label in the U.S.A. so

I would say that's not really a bootleg.

Kegsy

Kegsy

Our kid was never really into records so couldn't tell me anything about it so just assumed it was an early boot............you learn summat new every day,ta.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

What year were the blue BJD pressings made ? anyone know the story behind them? i think they are also early , Chubby Checker and  Alexander Patton came out on this , also, Little Anthony , gonna fix you good ( i think )

Social source share

What year were the blue BJD pressings made ? anyone know the story behind them? i think they are also early , Chubby Checker and  Alexander Patton came out on this , also, Little Anthony , gonna fix you good ( i think )

Tightrope is on a BJD as well

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I have an Earl Van Dyke 6x6 / Dynatones white label that was done at the same place as all the Soul Sounds etc. As it was a double sider as opposed to the proper B side, I wonder if this was before the SS series started in '67

Cheers

Mick

I had one of those,cant remember now - but were they acetates ?

Social source share

I had one of those,cant remember now - but were they acetates ?

No, they were proper vinyl records with a number stamped in the runout - exactly the same as Soul Sounds etc., but with white labels. Can't remember the number but it didn't fit in with the SS numbers, so I don't think it was intended to be a Soul Sounds release. (Could line up with Magic or one of the others though)

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Selectadisc (Nottingham) souled a fair few of the Soul Sound boots, I had Kick that little Sally Ann (Round Robin), Nobody but me(Human Beinz) that I can remember but I had about a dozen, (sold years ago) in total, pretty sure I had the Incredibles and Hooked by love as well.

Hi Ady, were Lantern the Harbourgh nighter :thumbsup:

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

The red label of the Invitations "What's wrong" 1969 IIRC...

Deffo picked up my copy late '69 or early '70 when it was one of my favourites played at Wilby.  Same time as Poets was being spun there and at the Earls Barton niters.. By December '70 I'd joined up and moved away so can't have been later.

:hatsoff2: - Kev.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

B rian selby(deceased). J ohn brattan. D ave williams.

BJD revealed.

There was a good thread on the BJD Boots a couple of years ago if anyone can find it and merge it with this thread. I think I posted a tale about going to the local youth club at around 13/14 years of age with my sister's boyfreind's copy of (At The) Discotheque which was on a blue BJD. Me and my mates thought it was origional until some older guy told us it was "a bootleg you knobs" or words to that affect!! 

:huh:  :g:  :(  :D

Regards.

Drew.

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

Cheers

Martyn 

:hatsoff2: Hi All    Martyn I am sure the TRIP label is 100% legit, as a reissue "golden oldies label" :thumbsup: However the first bootlegs & illicit recordings started to appear in late 67, the OTIS REDDING/JIMI HENDRIX LP LIVE MONTERAY, was a big seller at Richard Branson's.. VIRGIN SHOP Another Jimi Hendrix bootleg LP was the LULU SHOW, HENDRIX READDING & MITCHELL sang "HEY JOE" LIVE STOPPED IN HE MIDLE TO PLAY A DEDICATION TO THE CREAM with "sunshine of your love" and HENDRIX say "are we still on the air"? also a live version of "WILD THING"  At the Virgin shop I got from Mr Branson a copy of Bob Dylan's "talking bear mountain picnic  massacre Blues" LP 

The 1st bootlegs that have rare soul on, are from 68, anything earlier soul wise are Private copy's I have a copy of Chubby Checker Discotheque b/w the Tams ""hey g :huh: irl", very rare, Roy Gelder has a couple of early Bootlegs pre-dating my copy,

so that means 1968 was the big year ,I think? :ohmy: DAVE K

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!