Poll Northern Soul Showdown - Detroit Vs Philadelphia

Mike

Northern Soul Showdown - Detroit vs Philadelphia  

1. 1. Detroit Vs Philadelphia - Northern Showdown! (based on the podcast) ?

• Detroit
    • Philadelphia

Pete Smith posted up a link recently to a podcast titled Northern Soul Showdown - Detroit vs Philadelphia

struck me as may be the base for a enjoyable casual poll

so here it is 

two simple choices 

you just make the one 

based on the podcast listing, in a northern soul showdown my city of choice would be....

the podcast is here

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/northern-soul-showdown-detroit-vs-philadelphia/

playlist

TWO PLUS TWO - I'M SURE (D)

VICKIE BAINES - COUNTRY GIRL (P)

LARRY CLINTON - SHE'S WANTED IN 3 STATES (P)

BERNARD WILLIAMS & THE BLUENOTES - IT'S NEEDLESS TO SAY (P)

DETROIT EXECUTIVES - COOL OFF (D)

JANIE GRANT - MY HEART, YOUR HEART (P)

EDDIE PARKER - I'M GONE (D)

THE METROS - SINCE I FOUND MY BABY (D)

BUNNY SIGLER - GIRL DON'T MAKE ME WAIT (P)

LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CAN'T CHANGE (D)

TARI STEVENS - FALSE ALARM (P)

GINO WASHINGTON - RAT RACE (D)

LARRY ALLEN - CAN'T WE TALK IT OVER (P)

RONNIE & ROBYN - AS LONG AS YOU LOVE ME (D)

CHUBBY CHECKER - YOU JUST DON'T KNOW (P)

LITTLE ANN - WHAT SHOULD I DO (D)

YVONNE BAKER - YOU DIDN'T SAY A WORD (P)

MATT LUCAS - YOU BETTER GO GO (D)

THE TYMES - HERE SHE COMES (P)

DETROIT RHYTHM SECTION - IN THE POCKET (D)

CHRISTINE COOPER - HEARTACHES AWAY MY BOY (P)

EDWARD HAMILTON & THE ARABIANS - BABY DON'T YOU WEEP (D)

DEE DEE SHARP - COMIN' HOME BABY (P)

ROSE BATTISTE - HIT AND RUN (D)

FRANK BEVERLY & THE BUTLERS - I WANT TO FEEL I'M WANTED (P)

JACKEY BEAVERS - I NEED MY BABY (D)

SUGAR & THE SPICES - HAVE FAITH IN ME (P)

GWEN OWENS - I LOST A GOOD THING (D)

DONI BURDICK - BARI TRACK (D)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's a close one based on those tracks alone, but there's the couple of real biggies that swing it Detroits way for me.

Social source share

Can I just point out that this was deliberately meant to include things that people will know, because when I put it up on mixcloud, I find that the most listened to ones are those with all the well known oldies.  Not that there's any shortage of rarities podcasts up there, but I had over 100 new people sign up in the last 6 weeks so I did a few more commercial ones.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I completely know what you mean Pete, I did a detroit mix for mixcloud last night (didnt see yours) which I am hoping to convert and upload tonight that is all good cheap Detroit (dont have anything expensive) but having played it back earlier today I personally found it thoroughly enjoyable and expect it to have a lot more hits

atb...Andy

Social source share

I completely know what you mean Pete, I did a detroit mix for mixcloud last night (didnt see yours) which I am hoping to convert and upload tonight that is all good cheap Detroit (dont have anything expensive) but having played it back earlier today I personally found it thoroughly enjoyable and expect it to have a lot more hits

atb...Andy

if ya do regular podcasts theres a podcast section in the re-opened soul directory where y acan just add your index page 

may help awareness and such  :thumbsup:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/directory

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

On that list detroit........ philly list has too many pop tunes

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I chose Detroit. but it was closer than I expected. How could I vote against Larry Allen and Frankie Beverley?

I feel dirty doing so. And not in a  good way.

Social source share

I chose Detroit. but it was closer than I expected. How could I vote against Larry Allen and Frankie Beverley?

I feel dirty doing so. And not in a  good way.

Actually it's a little unfair because there are more Detroit tracks than Philly tracks on there

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Actually it's a little unfair because there are more Detroit tracks than Philly tracks on there

It does emphasise the quality coming from that area tho Pete.

I think my efault would always be Detroit, no matter who it was up against. Chicago, Philly, Muscle Shoals etc etc.

I decided that the Detroit tracks were consistently better overall. But you throw in Larry Clinton. Boy its close.

Social source share

It does emphasise the quality coming from that area tho Pete.

I think my efault would always be Detroit, no matter who it was up against. Chicago, Philly, Muscle Shoals etc etc.

I decided that the Detroit tracks were consistently better overall. But you throw in Larry Clinton. Boy its close.

Next up, Chicago vs Los Angeles!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

had to be detroit as the city was the innovator and all others followed suit, with what turned out to be their own inimitable styles, but were meant to be the best  mimic they could create at the time. the fingerprint of motown's house musicians is indelibly stamped on the myriad of labels and their wannabee stars and the disc's they created that ultimately, fell through the cracks in the sidewalk...and conveniently into the open arms & hands of us brits. a bit of an unfair showdown... chicago v l.a....very intriguing!.

Social source share

had to be detroit as the city was the innovator and all others followed suit, with what turned out to be their own inimitable styles, but were meant to be the best  mimic they could create at the time. the fingerprint of motown's house musicians is indelibly stamped on the myriad of labels and their wannabee stars and the disc's they created that ultimately, fell through the cracks in the sidewalk...and conveniently into the open arms & hands of us brits. a bit of an unfair showdown... chicago v l.a....very intriguing!.

here are, the quote from the first post says it all   :thumbsup:

two simple choices 

you just make the one 

based on the podcast listing, in a northern soul showdown my city of choice would be....

Social source share

Not for me, although alot of great music came out of Detroit it still falls way behind Chicago.

The more you look deeper into it you'd be surprised how many Detroit releases were recorded/mastered etc in the Windy City as well as many other recordings from other surrounding Mid-west towns.

Dave

Social source share

Detroit   wins every time for me  ...But Dave is right when he says about recorded and mastered out of the Motorcity  ...   last time when I was with Stuart  Avig he infomed me that he went to chicago when he recorded  Angelina Oh Angelina  .. I also played him Jock Mitchell  ..No Mad Woman to his surprise didn't know the track which has  the same backing as King for A day  ..50 yrs later first time he ever  heard it  .   

Social source share

Guest detroitdude

hey, i dont know if i am on the right forum but i am currently here in detroit. i was talking to a guy who i bought a couple of bsa's off and he told me he knows of a soul singer who is now down and out. he said that he gave him 5 bucks to sing to him in the gas station the other week. his name is carl karlton who sang everlasting love and some other songs. if anyone on here is looking to bring a detroit soul artist over to england, i bet he would jump at it. my friend henry knows him and could contact him. if anyone needs any more info, contact me. detroit weather today is hot and muggy, its in the upper 80's with thunderstorms but its going to hit 90f on tuesday. take care. bye.

Social source share

Based solely on the tracks on the podcast, I scored each track out of 5 (best 5, poor 1) and came to the following totals:

Detroit 58 and Phillie 60.

:shades:

Social source share

Guest detroitdude

hi everyone, i mentioned a guy called carl karlton, it is infact carl carlton. my mistake. cheers. detroitdude.

Social source share

Based solely on the tracks on the podcast, I scored each track out of 5 (best 5, poor 1) and came to the following totals:

Detroit 58 and Phillie 60.

:shades:

Going by your scale, I scored it 53 to Detroit and 47 to Philly though Detroit has one extra track on the playlist.  My only 1 star was Tari Stevens.

Social source share

My only 1 star was Tari Stevens.

Only took a couple of minutes to do the scoring, but I "had to" as it was gonna be a close call!

Tari got a x2 from me...Dee Dee Sharp got a x1...doesn't do anything for me, but I appreciate others may love it.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Probably, it's getting hard to find a place that ain't McD's :D
I'm not the one to ask but I think now gas is up to almost $4 a gallon :ohmy: it's killed a lot of that sort of driving unless there is a reaon,
I live in NYC though, could take me that long to get through the tunnel to Jersey City, so we don't.

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Next up, Chicago vs Los Angeles!

dont forget to add the autographs - loves gonna do you in - joker - chester pipkin perfectness

on the los Angeles side, ...... goodness

one of my fav LA Soul 45s

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

In general. I'd always choose Detroit.  But the cuts on the podcast make it very close.  I'd call it about even.  But, I prefer Detroit for sheer number of great cuts.  I'd always pick Chicago over L.A. or philly or NY.  Chicago is only very slightly behind Detroit, and a lot closer to Detroit than those other 3 cities are to Chicago's level.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!