Dj Starting Off - Your Top Tip ?

Mike

Guest Polyvelts

dont plan your set in advance at home like a swot, play the next record that YOU would love to hear if you were down there on the dance floor !

Social source share

dont plan your set in advance at home like a swot, play the next record that YOU would love to hear if you were down there on the dance floor !

I disagree with ref 'being a swot' - Do what suits you, and if that means working out a set that you are happy with before hand, then fine. At least it gives you a foundation to work on - Most times you will change it to suit the mood / dance floor reaction anyway, but at least at home you have plenty of time to think of choices, rather than just the time it takes for a record to play. It's a pain getting home, and thinking "Damn, I wish I'd played that!" ...What works for some, may not work for others - just do it your way.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I disagree with ref 'being a swot' - Do what suits you, and if that means working out a set that you are happy with before hand, then fine. At least it gives you a foundation to work on - Most times you will change it to suit the mood / dance floor reaction anyway, but at least at home you have plenty of time to think of choices, rather than just the time it takes for a record to play. It's a pain getting home, and thinking "Damn, I wish I'd played that!" ...What works for some, may not work for others - just do it your way.

All the best,

"It's a pain getting home".....

It is if your lift home blanks you as you come off the decks.!!! :lol: .Ask Danny and Terry. :lol:.

Sorting your box beforehand can be a bit like falling down Alice in Wonderlands rabbit hole!!.Try not to plan too far ahead.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorting your box beforehand can be a bit like falling down Alice in Wonderlands rabbit hole!!.Try not to plan too far ahead.

Yes, I admit it can be a complete waste of time and energy (mostly! :D) So many times I've changed at least half of what I'd planned to play, but I still do it - As I said, it gives me a foundation to work on......it also acts as some amusement to my 'so called' friends!  :D 

Tell you what, I really don't know what the 'Top Tip' for starting D.Jing on the Soul Scene is - I suppose (as has been mentioned earlier) it would be to grow a thick skin (especially if you are 'lucky' enough to know Danny and Terry! :D)......Let's face it, we are all terribly passionate about our own tastes, which unfortunately results in some hurtful things being said sometimes......

......or maybe the 'Don't bother' Tip was the 'Top Tip' - In a 'Don't put yourself through it' kinda way :D 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Like Len sez...we all have our preferences in preparation rituals and are or should be aware of different venue policy's likes/dislikes....BUt....if your newbie DJ Mike is unaware of his next spot....just goes on 'faith' en route to a nighter sort of thing....then my approach would suffice....or it did me...here it is! 

You'll get to spin say 23/4 tunes during your spot. I have used one of those plastic tool boxes u get from the garage for 20 years on the Northern Scene.....it holds 100 records perfectly with the mic and me sooty puppets in the front of the tunes!. I section them up like this usually an hour before I leave...go through all and put up to 100 in there! I could get away with 30....but.....the space is there!! Here is the usual make up....20/25 'breathers from the 60's...Four Perfections/Teardrops kinda tempo.......then comes 20/25 'stompers'....The Dynamics/Younghearts sort! The next section I have consists of around 25 Motown tunes....all tempos....including the 'I Wonder Why's and Midnight Johnnys ...and summink by Edwin of course!x After those come 5/6 instrumentals....of which I usually play 1 somewhere in the set! At the back are the '70's! Normally about 20/25....all types including stompers...shufflers and floaters! Behind them......is usually 2/3 records.....that I know......in me bedroom....they is right.....BUT....is the time right....or place......and for 1 of those tunes....it is!x Ah.....if this young protege is happening to end the night....then at the front of me box...is 4/5 enders! Jimmy and Dean have resided there for 20+ years....if required....but usually finish with one of the other 3..........before paying the last STOMPER to end!hehe....I cheat a bit!!.....old school!!!x

There.....I coulda said in 1 sentence....'sort ure box out'.....but.....it doesn't help really does it?x What I do know is this....with that approach....in 9 years on the Northern scen UK wide....I never got stuck being a starting DJ...following a DJ or being the ending DJ.....cos there was a tune for every occasion....subject to circumstances! As for tunes being played/repeated??? 10/12 throughout a Nighter may have been played outta my 100 MAX before I got up at 7am to finish....I recall! Listened/danced to every tune to know before me spot!!x

LUV
SOOTY
X

...the epitome of the above is that I DJ'd at Lytham 12-1.....then Blackburn 7am-8.03...then kicked off Wigans 'Temple of Doom' dayer at 9am-11am....in the same weekend...and only played 1 record 3 times due to demand....a 2nd record twice...again due to demand....but the rest.......I played a different set in each spot......and 'had it away' at all.....!  Did it most week ends for 7 of those years!!!x I had Northern in me tool box.....end of!x The tunes aren't the problem.....it's in ure head!!!x If your up and coming DJ is brand new Mike....then 100 is for someone 'on the road'.....30 tunes would suffice and I could take him/her to any venue in the World spinning northern....and we'd 'rock it' and not double any tune...no probs!x U just need Northern in the tool box...and apply it....end of!x 

@@
~

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

If you must drink be sure you only drink stimplete,refreshes the parts other drinks can only dream of refreshing,Stimplete the tipple of champions!!!!!

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Be original and get yourself a gimmicky catchphrase that suits you ...steer clear of doing that "guys and gals..uhhuhhhuhhh " it might have worked for Jimmy Savile but it's a definite no no today !

Shiny track suit ,70's Afro wig and mirrored glasses worked for all the best dj's ,so use that as a guide cos you need to command that stage :)

Social source share

A good thing to do is to visit the place first before you comit , would it suit your type of play , no point in doing it if you are not comfortable with the environment , because that will show when you play . And don't abuse your customer , if they are not ready to dance you preaching that they should be dancing is not going to help matters.

Social source share

Putting your records in the playbox in some kind of order is a wise move ... i keep meaning to ,but never do and often find myself scrambling thru the box looking for a certain record ..that usually results in paper cuts on my thumbS .lol

Stick a cardboard spacer (that comes in the packaging of records ) ,between say ,mid-tempo and uptempo 45's or 60's and 70's etc .

As mentioned previously ,it is ok to have a good idea beforehand ,of things you might or would like to play ,but it really depends on the type of venue and the atmosphere on the night ,as to what you will end up playing ?

If  people are keen to get up dancing early on ,then it's worth keeping the tempo going ,rather than sticking a ballad on and killing it !

Ignore those comments about getting your own style and being original etc etc ,there's only a small handful of people out there who are true pioneers ,but  still plenty of very good dj's playing records that have been around for yrs ,some played out ,some not so  .... the real skill is to be able to put a set together and make it flow ,even if it means changing tempo's ..too much uptempo can be as boring as a full set of mid-tempo imho .

Most of all though ,enjoy it and ffs ,don't buy records if you don't like em yourself !

P.s .. almost forgot .. make sure you take an empty pint glass incase you get caught short .. and show some courtesy by not leaving it full on the shelf when you leave ,cos there's not much light up there and the guy following you might like lager :D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Strenuously avoid trying to do a spot just made up of current popular sounds - the last thing the scene needs is ANOTHER 'me too' DJ - aim to play stuff that:

A] is DANCEABLE

B] marks you out as different and original (also usually means you have to spend less)

C] offer variation and texture in the spot (smooth transitions between slower stuff and fast peaks, dotted with male/female/instrumentals/older/newer etc etc)

D] Think about what you are playing - decide a musical start point and where you want to finish (I always used to pre-select my key records through a spot - though adjusted it in reaction to the crowd as I went along - and then fill in the gaps like stepping stones, slotting in requests WHEN they fit in musically within the wider spot, rather than immediately playing them - also goes down well because they think you forgot them and then get a pleasant surprise)

E] 'read' the dancefloor - don't go for lowest common denominator records simply to fill it, but recognise what's going down well, this also helps if you clear it (don't panic and just play an automatic floorppacker in reaction - they'll smell blood!)

F] Learn to appear convincingly deaf when someone want you to play Diana Ross

I always looked upon DJing as musical evangelism - 'if you liked that one you already know - you'll love this one you don't know'.

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Play  oldies :)

i feel sick am i at home and got me cd's out instead of me records, yes they are ok but why pay money to hear what you have got at home, no offence.

do i love you indeed i dont,  my latest purchase the elgins i lost my love to the big city same as the daniels on lantam records, indeed i do, love you all and your tastes but each to their own, 35 yrs of overplayed oldies is enough, maybe a new thought would be across the board or has this been thought of before ???????

sorry i'm takin the p**s now but everyone has there own taste and will go to the venues that suite them, i love this site as all will put their tuppence in and it's brill just keep on dooin wot's best for you

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

say you are having a brew with a younger soul fan who tells you that they are dj-ing the next weekend for the first time

what's the top tip that you would give them?

bearing in mind that you only have enough time for the one....

just collect and enjoy vintage music at your own pace

djing is not the point

just do your own thing

Social source share

just collect and enjoy vintage music at your own pace

djing is not the point

just do your own thing

It's a nice sentiment ,but seen as you made the point of quoting Mikes original post ,I have to add ,you didn't answer the actual question :)
Social source share

Buy ovo records, some don't cost the earth, there are many good £10-£50 records that will keep a lot of punters happy, i have always bought records i like, NEVER buying a sound cus it went down well here n there for so n so, this must be about pleasing yourself, and looking at a dancefloor that's full.

Don't be afraid to play oldies, i never know when a good record become a bad one, oh, and enjoy it, if you don't enjoy it...... stop !

Good luck to you.

Social source share

say you are having a brew with a younger soul fan who tells you that they are dj-ing the next weekend for the first time

what's the top tip that you would give them?

bearing in mind that you only have enough time for the one....

Enjoy yourself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :thumbup:  :thumbsup:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

As a young DJ of 16 I was told by Hippo at Soulfusion to "Play to the floor and always fade in, to not give 'em time to get off the floor" and with that all my sets seem to go well :thumbsup:

good advice , I was told the same a long time ago and it does work

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I would also add that whenever possible, try (unless it's so rare) to get records in as close to M- condition as you possibly can.  They play better, look better, plus if you ever get in a pinch and have to shift any, they'll be much more appealing to others.  

I would also echo one of the previous posters about some really excellent sounds aren't that expensive.  I just picked up a stack of mostly M- 45s last week where a bunch of them were $6 US, a few $8 and none more than $15, and they're all danceable.

Cheers.

Social source share

Maintain a positive and professional attitude throughout. 

You'll love it (hopefully!) and want to DJ again.  :thumbsup:    So come across as someone that's competent, professional, friendly, absolutely loves and knows what they are doing, and you'll get invited back. 

(In a few years time you'll still be DJ'ing.  Then you can really enjoy blanking /slagging off other jocks, the odd expletive into the mic, and miss cue-ing records cos you're so unbelievably pissed beyond control - with the best of 'em... )   :)  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

be true to your self and dont play just for your mates to many of them out there already

What if they're all your mates and its a nice cozy little venue :)

Not everyone aspires to be the next Russ Winstanley !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!